They dropped the first bomb (This Isn't Over Yet reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott
Pronouns: he/him

They dropped the first bomb (This Isn't Over Yet reviews)

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

but the rest are on the way.
Last edited by Lunkhead on Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: make not sticky
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Re: They dropped the first bomb (This Isn't Over Yet reviews)

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Please place your lyric in the appropriate thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12157
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Songs posted!
Duncan
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Sax, Clarinet, Harmonica, Voice
Recording Method: Reaper
Submitting as: Duncan Martin

Post by Duncan »

Nice short field this round. Might actually manage to get reviews in. I've already begun my daily self-flogging regimen for my cracked/cracked rhyme. That should have been snapped/cracked. Feel free to dump on it in the reviews.
Spintown
Push Comes to Shove
Submitting as: Spintown & Company

Post by Spintown »

Spintown & Company: I don’t expect people to get the lyrics to this one. For the most part I only write lyrics when I want to do a Minecraft music video, and that’s what this is about. More specifically it’s about a mini game called “Bed Wars” played on the Hypixel Network. In short it’s a PvP game in which you can respawn after being killed. To stop your opponents from respawning you have to get into their base, and break their bed. After that, once they die, they stay dead, and the last person/team alive wins. I personally have a play style that 95% of players find VERY annoying...and that’s what the song is about. Most protect their bed & gear up with better armor & swords to win fights. I give up my bed, don’t worry about armor & swords. Instead, I get ranged weapons & stay mobile. I kill from a distance & stay hard to catch. So often people see me in game & think, “EZ kill”...but then...they get punch bowed. If you’re interested in what the game is like, here’s a link to an animated music video I directed for a song Jonathan Mann wrote for me. I also made a video for this song you can watch that here.

I normally write parodies. Mostly because they’re easy. I’m not a musician & have 0 musical knowledge. I’ve done a few raps & jingles, but those are a struggle for me. I need the structure in place ahead of time. In this case...I had nothing. I’d been waiting for a fight I could combine with one of my Minecraft videos, and this one inspired me. So in 1 evening I wrote lyrics. Structure was created kinda randomly. I didn’t have any music in my head or any idea of how this should sound. When I was done I contacted Eric Ames, who I’ve used on a few other songs recently, and asked if he could turn the lyrics into a song. He suggested a fast paced 80’s rock song, and as a child of the 80’s I was fine with that. He said he could make the deadline, so I let him do his thing. 2 days before the deadline he sends me the file I turned in. So we both did this in 1 shot basically. Gave him my first lyric draft, and I went with the first track he sent me. I love what he did. After hearing my lyrics being performed there are a couple things I’d change about them. And they are normally things I’d catch if writing a parody, cause I’d just sing them myself as I was writing. But he did a good job of covering for my sloppy writing, and I’m more than happy with how it turned out.

Oh, and I didn’t even worry about the optional challenge. Just doing a fight for the first time was enough for me, and I didn’t feel like giving Eric more to worry about other than my crappy lyrics.

Brown Word and the Big Whine: I’m a pretty dense guy, so I like lyrics to be pretty simple & for there to be an easy to follow story. Not sure I know exactly what this song is about. I mean non conformist, but about what exactly? Not really catchy enough for me, but I do like how you change up some of the repeated bits a little here & there so it doesn’t feel too repetitive.

My Social Uniform: Um...this is only the 2nd song I’ve listened to, but this may not be much of a fight in my opinion. I loved this. At first I didn’t pay attention to the name of the band, but then I heard the song & I was like...this sounds like a couple other songs I have saved on my PC…I keep a thumb drive of favorite Song Fight songs & your songs for “Taken Aback” & “What To Say And How To Say It” are on there. Really love your sound in general, and this song is right up my alley. Upbeat, positive, and very relatable to me. As someone who’s dealt with some depression over the years, I really like getting a song that can inspire me or help give a little positivity when you start asking yourself how, or why am I here. Catchy...singable...love it.

Glenn Case: Post your lyrics please. :D

Paco del Stinko: Digging the music, but then the use of the title kinda stops the groove I was getting into. I normally listen to these with the lyrics in front of me, and with some of your lines they’re delivered really quickly & got a little muddled. Even with the lyrics in front of me I had to pause & go back & read a couple times. Listening without the lyrics I know I’m not picking up all those lines clearly. Fun entry, but those 2 issues would stop it from getting repeat listens from me later.

Mellfire Trifecta: Hit play & you were halfway through the first line before I could tab over to the lyrics. Give me a few seconds to get ready man. The hook was more catchy than some of the others this fight, and I don’t have any major complaints. The start was abrupt, and maybe the song could use a place to breathe somewhere, it’s driving pretty consistently. Was that a 23 or 24 seconds “AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH”? Also, did you have a certain personality on TV or the internet that this was about?

Duncan Martin: Another song that could ease you in a little more at the start. Overall I enjoyed it. Clear story, told pretty well, and not a story I thought I’d be hearing. First song I’ve heard about a trip to the dump. I saw your comment about the “cracked” line prior to writing the review, but yeah, fix that. Maybe a few places could flow a little better or be reworded, but this seems Ross Durandish. I like Ross, and this.

The Pannacotta Army: Can’t listen to the music or your vocals in this without smiling. It’s a sweet song about not giving up on love, or a creepy song about a stalker. I’m cool with either. I do have a question about 1 line. “I’m lying on the deck” is that referencing a fighter who’s been knocked down? I’ve not heard that phrase in this context before. Usually I hear mat or canvas, but those don’t rhyme, so is that why you used “deck”? Or is it something people actually say? Good song, probably going to earn one of my votes.

ShoehornTC: First line had me worried. I thought I might be getting a song about writing a song. But it turns out I was worried for nothing. The music was sweet & the performance solid. Lyrically a little depressing & not my bag, but another solid song for the fight.

Sweeney Toad: The angry yelling rap isn’t my favorite style, but you do deliver it clearly, which makes it better than most rap I hear these days. Couldn’t really get into the lyrics as they didn’t really speak to me at all, but I think my main issue was the chorus just wasn’t catchy.

Votes:
My Social Uniform
Spintown & Company
The Pannacotta Army
Glenn Case
Last edited by Spintown on Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
the panna cotta army
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: egg shaker
Recording Method: Studio One/Mac
Submitting as: the pannacotta army
Pronouns: He he he

Post by the panna cotta army »

Spintown wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:47 pm
“I’m lying on the deck” is that referencing a fighter who’s been knocked down? I’ve not heard that phrase in this context before. Usually I hear mat or canvas, but those don’t rhyme, so is that why you used “deck”? Or is it something people actually say?
FYI - In the UK (and certainly in the London area where I'm from), "the deck" is a colloquial expression for the floor or the ground; usually in the context of someone being knocked (or having fallen) over, often in a fight situation - i.e. "he knocked him on the deck"
Deck is used as a verb too, meaning to punch (and knock to the ground) - "Tyson decked him in the third round"
Spintown
Push Comes to Shove
Submitting as: Spintown & Company

Post by Spintown »

the panna cotta army wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:08 am
FYI - In the UK (and certainly in the London area where I'm from), "the deck" is a colloquial expression for the floor or the ground; usually in the context of someone being knocked (or having fallen) over, often in a fight situation - i.e. "he knocked him on the deck"
Deck is used as a verb too, meaning to punch (and knock to the ground) - "Tyson decked him in the third round"
Ok gotcha. I've not heard it used the way you did. I've heard it used as a term for a punch, or a porch, and even the phrase "hit the deck". But "lying on the deck" in my mind prompted the image of someone laying down in a lawn chair on their back porch relaxing.
shoehornTC
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Uke
Recording Method: GarageBand
Submitting as: shoehornTC

Post by shoehornTC »

Hello songfighters!! I’m happy to see a limited number of submissions this week, only because it is much easier to review, and frankly, if I don’t get around to it I feel guilty. Very many reviewers on this site take a lot of time to do this and I appreciate it, though I must admit I can’t bring myself to that level.

Review disclaimer: Over the years of self analysis I have found that as it relates to the music I love most, I am a melody first person. If I like the melodies it is a bridge to the lyrics and only when I like both melody and lyrics do I find myself totally immersed in what I am listening to. This creates a pretty high bar. I will almost never be drawn to music with good lyrics without a melody that speaks to me personally. That said, I also want to create a positive review and I am a firm believer in, “if you can’t say something nice, don’t say anything at all”. Thankfully every song I have heard on this site has positive attributes. :)

My Social Uniform: Great vocal performance! As my musical formative years were in the 80’s (yes me old) I find this to be very nostalgic, though I must admit this style was not my go to in those long ago times. Very well put together.
ShoehornTC: My song is on one hand an inside joke on the title as it relates to songs about the pandemic and also a statement on my inability to move forward without the proper amount of processing. I’m still not over it yet, I wish I was and I wish IT was over altogether. I “over process” on many of life’s sticky topics.
Glen Case: Another very good vocal performance! The middle eight is a great change
Pannacotta Army: My favorite melody of the bunch by far. Love the beat. The backgrounds are wonderful. Nicely put together. Little change at the end of the bridge is sweet. Good work!!
Duncan Martin: Some great chord changes in here, great vehicle for the lyrics and I am a story song junky so it checks a lot of boxes for me, including referencing your name in there “Dunc”.
Brown Word and the Big Whine: Another example of an accessible melody that makes me want to follow the lyrics. Just strange and wondrous and makes me want to get on the boat.
Sweeny Toad: My exception to the above melody rule is hip hop. I almost have to listen to it like a spoken word poem and turn the melody off, which is probably weird. This is also a very good vocal performance and the lyrics are certainly engaging.
Paco Del Stinko: Love this. I’ve been digging into some late 70’s under the radar rock bands that has been a great rabbit hole and this brings them to mind. I love the theatrical elements, and as always, very well performed.
Mellfire Trifecta: Another example of marriage of melody and lyrics that works. It held my interest to the end, which is a good thing as I will admit, sometimes I have to stop listening and move on.
Spintown & Company: Nice vocal performance (this seems to be my theme in this fight). Like the guitar tones as they relate to what it seems you were going for. Like the bridgy thing. Nicely put together.

Thanks Everyone, there are a bunch of votes in here!!
pauley g
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: percussion, piano/synth/programmer, some guitar
Recording Method: mac, logic 10, apogee duet, Arturia and Roland hardware, various plugins, hate.
Submitting as: My Social Uniform
Pronouns: him

Post by pauley g »

Spintown wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:47 pm
My Social Uniform: Um...this is only the 2nd song I’ve listened to, but this may not be much of a fight in my opinion. I loved this. At first I didn’t pay attention to the name of the band, but then I heard the song & I was like...this sounds like a couple other songs I have saved on my PC…I keep a thumb drive of favorite Song Fight songs & your songs for “Taken Aback” & “What To Say And How To Say It” are on there. Really love your sound in general, and this song is right up my alley. Upbeat, positive, and very relatable to me. As someone who’s dealt with some depression over the years, I really like getting a song that can inspire me or help give a little positivity when you start asking yourself how, or why am I here. Catchy...singable...love it.
Thank you Spintown, this might be the kindest thing anyone has ever said about my music! I am flattered and humbled that you saved a couple of my works as well. This might be a shameless plug but a polished version of "What To Say" is on Spotify/Itunes/Apple Music under My Social Uniform. All I hope for as a songwriter is to connect or inspire someone, even if it's just to prove that we are not alone and I'm so pleased that you got something from this one. Depression is a devious foe.
"You're like the SongFight Weeknd" - Sleepysilverdoor
Check out My Social Uniform on all digital platforms...
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

Quick comments, with beer. Decent fight, nothing weak or mind-blowing. I'll clarify as needed later, if asked. Smile!

Brown Word and the Big Whine - It's only missing an electric saw solo or a jug. Dig the sideshow wobble vibe and chanty vocals. The Black Rider. Can also hear Knack version with gang vocals tight and harmonized. Only a whiff of sinister keeps this sunny.

Duncan Martin
- Enjoyable with the organic feel, faintest hint of dissonance. Easy and mellow the minor changes somehow make it warmer. A more rehearsed and better recorded version would be swell, but the living room vibe is nice and friendly. A bit more to the percussion as well.

Glenn Case - Great groove and the melody that starts out like you singing someone else quickly turns back to you. Keys are little hockey game sounding, lacking a little something not too shiny. Sounds like this is leading to something coming. Easy distilled Case. Thanks, man.

Mellfire Trifecta - Oh man, lay on some 60s. The chorus is almost TV show theme but that doesn't stop it at all. Guitar could be cleaned up a bit, I like the saturation going on here, but could be rolled back a bit. Rough and ready sketch, please add a way high vocal harmony on the chorus back ups.

My Social Uniform
- Very 80s, but not dated sonically. The oh uhs are kinda weird to me. That stringy synth vocal bit is delicious. Super soundtrack music, versus single. Yeah, it's infectious, but I can still see a little mullet. Great recording, lean and clean.

Paco del Stinko
- Sloppy, a quick one. I did do the riff backwards though, as goofy as it is. That determined the modulation. Ethel Merman's long lost 13 times removed nephew.

The Pannacotta Army - I'm glad that this isn't on uke. Claps are almost the best part. Ha! Kidding, but I love how they touch the nape of my neck. Great changes and let's hold it steady vibe. This should be the winner.

ShoehornTC - Nice turn at the start. The verses start funny, but turn so good. Over over you great. This is a young tree that needs to grow more branches than roots. But hey, man, you got some good roots. Some very pleasant hooks there.

Spintown & Company - Pleasant pop, if by the numbers. It's , but still tastes good, well balanced. Something out of a show on a network I don't watch, a few years ago. I get Autotune concepts, I do. Good energy but still safe.

Sweeney Toad
- Open, menacing, easy casual, great balance. You can't do every song this way, but I'm glad that you did here. I can hear and feel it. I love me the heavy, but I also love to breathe.
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
the panna cotta army
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: egg shaker
Recording Method: Studio One/Mac
Submitting as: the pannacotta army
Pronouns: He he he

Post by the panna cotta army »

Small fight by recent standards.
Trying to strike a balance with reviews ain't always easy - I like to be honest but don't want to be over critical. Apologies to those with less-thick skins but is a sugar coated pill preferable? :?

Was there a Optional Challenge of "the 1980s" that I somehow missed this week?

Mellfire Trifecta - I think this is an excellent song, but I’m not so keen on the guitar sounds. I think dialling down the distortion in favour of some cleaner, jangly tones would’ve been a better move. The lead is pretty harsh, a bit like a fuzz pedal plugged straight into the input. However, that said, I do really dig the melodies and the vocals . It’s like a Bluejays song but redone at a more rapid BPM.

Duncan Martin - The country feel works for me and so does the simple lo-fi, acoustic arrangement. It has a sort of off-the-cuff immediacy, which kind of lends it a jaunty flow, especially with the storyline lyrics and the laconic vocals. A bit scruffy round the edges but nicely done.

Spintown & Co - Sounds like a song lifted straight off the soundtrack of an 80s movie probably starring Tom Cruise such as Topgun or the like. Big syn-drums, crunchy power chords and excellent harmony vocals the whole way through. It’s all great fun. It evokes wind machines blowing through big mullet hairstyles and dudes sporting, sultry looks and designer jackets with the sleeves rolled up to the elbows.

Shoehorn TC - The intro reminds me of Voodoo Chile but not for long. I really like the simplicity of this. Super melodies and I love the dynamism of the structure/arrangement, especially the way the jangly tambourine comes in on the chorus but also the interacting guitars, uke? and organ too. This has its imperfections but nevertheless good stuff - possibly my favourite tune of this fight.

Glenn Case - Another one with a bit of an 80s slant. Despite the catchy melody, your usually excellent vocals seem a little bit off the mark; they sound rather pushed/strained in places though the use of harmony is good. The production is up to the expected quality but I do find the arrangement is a little too constantly in your face with those big brassy synth chords. The rap section works best for me and is well handled.

My Social Uniform - This is the pick of this week’s 80s influenced power pop songs (complete with CP70 style piano) and another that smacks of film soundtrack - see Spintown’s review. My hat comes off to the fabulous arrangement. So many great little touches, especially all the synth ones, though there are one or two things I’m a little less crazy about. Terrific and varied vocals. Earwormy chorus. Nice percussion.

Brown Word & Big Whine - I think you’ve reined in the sonic chaos slightly on this recording which makes it a more coherent sound. Maybe it’s the absence of distorted guitars. Both the verses and chorus have an unresolved pattern giving what feels like an eternally repeating cycle - makes for a slightly odd vibe but I don’t dislike it. The mellotron-ish strings in the chorus are a nice inclusion.

Sweeny Toad - This is brash and banging. I can see how this unrelenting edginess can be an appealing thing but I’m generally drawn towards a more dynamic and nuanced sound. The musical progression in the hook/chorus part is intriguing but maybe toning down the abrasive vocal style with more emphasis on melody here would make it more appealing; to me anyway.

Paco Del Stinko - I used to be a big Frank Black/Pixies fan and this is knocking around in the same sort of genre space but with a lighter approach. I like the frenetic guitar work and driving bass. I think I’d prefer a straighter and simpler approach to the vocals rather than the vaudeville cast of comic voices and maybe simpler melodic lines. The drums are excellent.
pauley g
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: percussion, piano/synth/programmer, some guitar
Recording Method: mac, logic 10, apogee duet, Arturia and Roland hardware, various plugins, hate.
Submitting as: My Social Uniform
Pronouns: him

Post by pauley g »

Better late than never...

Paco Del Stinko
Great mix and guitar work/guitar orchestration...Lyrics are cool and well delivered. The chord structure took my brain awhile to get used to, almost like the chorus vocal changes key but the instrumentation doesn't. I'm not saying that's not good though, it seems to work and defines the sections of the song pretty well!

Mellfire Trifecta
Has a Lovin Spoonful vibe but still manages to remain pretty modern. I like how it sounds a little blown up and the chorus is catchy. I would like to hear more variety in guitar tones, there's some but I think it needs to be more dramatic for this piece. BGV are very nice and well balanced! also nice arrangement, I like how you handled the bridge with vocals but no lyric (aahs). Your lyric rhyme scheme is pretty cool as well. There is a lot to like here.

The Pannacotta Army
Another high quality entry from the Army...I really dig how this whole thing gels together, all the instrumentation is very appropriate to the style, arrangement is interesting and the lyric and melody nestle into it just right. This is quite meticulously well put together. If there's a criticism, I think the heartbeat is a little gimmicky but you manage to get away with it because again, it's spot on and compliments the lyric.

Duncan Martin
I love the story your telling and your musical arrangement compliments it nicely! It sincerely made me chuckle. Is this inspired by a true story? How do you not listen to this without a smile on your face? My only complaint is I would like a little more variation as the song moves forward but that's just my ADD talking...well done.

My Social Uniform
Mine. I recently quit my day job in supply chain to be a full-time gigging musician and this song is about making that leap. Scary as hell but if I don't do it now, I'll never forgive myself. If we get locked down again, I'm screwed but hey! who needs food?

Brown Word and the Big Whine
Makes me think of Rocky Horror for some reason? I would've liked to hear more of a melody than spoken word but it's delivered well anyway. I think the arrangement is a little lacking compared to some of your other entries but I kinda get it with such a flamboyant lyric. Not bad. I think with a little more development it could be great!

ShoehornTC
I really like the creative use of the title, the lyric is really the star in this, well done. Guitar arrangement is good but the rest of the orchestration feels a bit two dimensional? There is good variation to break up the verse/chorus and maybe you don't need change anything, I just feel like the parts fight with each other at times.

Sweeney Toad
Love this thing. great groove and the rap is clutch. Simple and effective. I like the stereo hats as well! I think the weak spot is the chorus but not a deal breaker. vocal rushed at 2:02 which really pulled me out of the vibe, definitely fix that! Your vocal carries a lot of angst and anger, great perfomance!

Spintown and Company
Well written, performed, and mixed... I would like to hear more emotion in your vocal but the melody/harmony is sweet and pleasing. Digging the breakup in the bridge and the wall of sound behind everything. This is a fun song about a cool topic and I'm into it!

Glenn Case
Sweet brother, I think this is my favorite! Great vocal performance and lyric. Catchy hook chorus. Maybe a little more variation in instrumentation but that's always my complaint. Pretty current sounding but has a whiff of Todd Rundgren which I think is really cool. Even the rap section seems to work, but when you lay down groove that solid, you can do about anything on top of it and it's cool! Great job, impressive!
"You're like the SongFight Weeknd" - Sleepysilverdoor
Check out My Social Uniform on all digital platforms...
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

the pannacotta army wins!