Don't tell me (I Only Imagined It reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott
Pronouns: he/him

Don't tell me (I Only Imagined It reviews)

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

are gonna be sparse again?
Last edited by Lunkhead on Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: normal
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Re: Don't tell me (I Only Imagined It reviews)

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Lyric thread goes here-ish: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12176
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Songs posted!
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drums, Guitars, Keys
Recording Method: Focusrite + FL Studio
Submitting as: Phl*b*
Pronouns: bruh
Location: Not super far from Atlanta but definitely not Atlanta

Post by sleepysilverdoor »

Lots of quality this week!
"There's a lot to be said about a full-on frontal assault on the ear drums" - Pigfarmer Jr.
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop
Submitting as: Cock, Chth*.*, D.A.H. (Der Alter Hahn)
Pronouns: His Infernal Majesty

Post by ujnhunter »

I thought we might get a track in this week... but I only imagined it... (only finished/recorded 1 section of the song... doh!) guess that's another one on the pile of "to be finished someday" tracks.
-Ujn Hunter
Photovoltaik - Free 6 Track EP - Song Fight! Liner Notes
Billy's Little Trip wrote:I must have this....in my mouth.....now.
Heine
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Guitar, Bass
Recording Method: Presonus FP10, Cubase
Submitting as: SoFa Productions Inc., Double Me Double U, heine

Post by Heine »

I Only Imagined It – Reviews/Thoughts by heine

Balance Lost – Nice guitar work, I like the drum loop. There are some parts of the sub bass which are really annoying through my speakers in the verses. At some other parts the bass seems to be missing? The chorus is quite cool. I would keep it a lot shorter - but the longer it goes the more hypnotizing it is…

Berkeley Social Scene – Unusual chord progression. I like the backing track a lot. But after several listenings I still have the feeling that the vocals are the weakest point. They could be recorded way better and the chorus maybe needs a bit more work and rehearsing?

Caravan Ray – A short dip into minimalist kraut music? Not my favorite one but it's done very clever so it stays interesting the whole way through. I really like the ending and the mellotron sounds – here the song comes together and leaves me satisfied. Nice.

Colicky Zebras – This one haunted me. What does this singer sound like? It took a while. But then I got it: World Party, Karl Wallinger! And I really like your voice and how you use it. Great! Quite laid back this one. Nice overall. (Forgive me that I first read 'Cocky Zebras' – now I got it right!)

Duncan Martin – You are such a good storyteller! Its sparse instrumentation serves it well. To me it is one of your best, catchiest and maybe most perfect submissions. Great!

FireBear – I proclaim that the very fine double vocals sound a lot like the Proclaimers. Don't they? That's a fine thing – and well executed! I really like this.

heine – (me) Hey, why am I so quiet? I don't like brickwalling. I already used my Master Limiter… I did this in one go. All I already had were the chords for the verses. Everything else was done in one go: lyrics, chorus, singing, mixing, and submitting. When I woke up the next morning there were at least two things I wished I did better in the French parts. – But too late! I still like the verses but the singing in the choruses need much more rehearsing.

Lichen Throat – I first I read the lyrics. And I really like them a lot. Vocals are a bit sloppy and in contrast the music feels quite static to me.

Making Sparks – I like everything about it! My first impression was Blondie's Scenery but this didn't stay for long. It is a very strong vocal performance which in some places touches Patti Smith. Well played and well produced. My number one this fight!

My Social Uniform – This is perfect radio music. Perfect performance and very great singing. The vocal melodies are so very good; you found a very catchy way to not stay too long on the main chord note. You have my deepest respect.

Phlub - I wish I could dig it a lot better because there are some nice aspects in it. And I really admire the way it's played technically. I wish I could do it like this. But there is so much going on in such a loud way – this genre in general exhausts me. (What can you expect from someone who likes the soothing sounds of The Moody Blues…? ;) )

Scene Therapy – I love that sax-riff. What a great idea to build a song upon it! I really like the backing track a lot. It has some very appealing keyboard work. That sax solo has so much feeling. Great! It's you Matt? I am not much into that whole rap thing but this is very catchy. I like it.

The Magnetic Letters – I love the doubled vocals. Very nice sung. Musically a bit in-between for me: Some folky guitar/vocals vs. tiny plastic sounds. I am sitting on a fence.

Toshiro – Another number build upon artificial (Casio?) drum sounds. But it has a strong vocal melody.
www.heine-musik.de - Stark autark! - Keller Kollektiv - Vince Link - "Paragon of Teutonic Gloominess" - Elaine DiMasi
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man

Heine wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:03 am
I Only Imagined It – Reviews/Thoughts by heine

Phlub - I wish I could dig it a lot better because there are some nice aspects in it. And I really admire the way it's played technically. I wish I could do it like this. But there is so much going on in such a loud way – this genre in general exhausts me. (What can you expect from someone who likes the soothing sounds of The Moody Blues…? ;) )
The fact you bring up the Moody Blues as the "anti-Phlub" is hilarious to me. All my life my parents have been trying to get me to like The Moody Blues as a group that they think I would probably like. Every single time I try I am completely unable to get into them. Maybe that's why, maybe I really am the antithesis of them...

Anyway this was supposed to be inspired by Meshuggah but it turned into more of a Mr. Bungle gone Math Rock thing.
"There's a lot to be said about a full-on frontal assault on the ear drums" - Pigfarmer Jr.
mholland
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Saxophones and other things
Recording Method: Scarlett 18i20, Logic
Submitting as: Night Sky

Post by mholland »

Heine wrote:
Scene Therapy – I love that sax-riff. What a great idea to build a song upon it! I really like the backing track a lot. It has some very appealing keyboard work. That sax solo has so much feeling. Great! It's you Matt? I am not much into that whole rap thing but this is very catchy. I like it.
This was an instant band with Sweeney Toad on vocals, Lunkhead on bass and keys, Ken on drums, backing vocals, and production, and me on sax. I recorded that main riff and then three sections with different chord progressions and some solos, which Ken arranged into a song structure that Sweeney and Lunkhead built on. Everyone really came through.
Night Sky is Sally on lyrics, Steve on drums, and Matt on the other stuff
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, programming
Recording Method: Cubase, Reason
Submitting as: Balance Lost

Post by furrypedro »

Heine wrote:
Balance Lost – Nice guitar work, I like the drum loop. There are some parts of the sub bass which are really annoying through my speakers in the verses. At some other parts the bass seems to be missing? The chorus is quite cool. I would keep it a lot shorter - but the longer it goes the more hypnotizing it is…
Cheers for the review my dude! I really ummed and aahed about the length. I would normally stick to the 3 minute rule for SF but having done that last week I thought I'd indulge myself a little this time, fully in the knowledge that it may hurt me, but I really enjoy that loop and I wanted to let it percolate. As for the bass, I just got lazy. Definitely need to tighten that up. Thanks for the feedback!
Heine
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Heine »

sleepysilverdoor wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:09 am
Heine wrote:
The fact you bring up the Moody Blues as the "anti-Phlub" is hilarious to me. All my life my parents have been trying to get me to like The Moody Blues as a group that they think I would probably like. Every single time I try I am completely unable to get into them. Maybe that's why, maybe I really am the antithesis of them...
I am really sorry! I hope I didn't trigger an old trauma.
...but can I maybe use "anti-Phlub" as a bandname if I ever try to create a song in the Moody's style?
www.heine-musik.de - Stark autark! - Keller Kollektiv - Vince Link - "Paragon of Teutonic Gloominess" - Elaine DiMasi
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man

I read the name Moody Blues and immediately started weeping on the floor. I just scheduled an appointment with my therapist. Didn't sleep at all last night because my brain wouldn't quit telling me that The Day Begins. I am physically and emotionally wrecked. I'm really fine, I'm jammin' the new Poppy album.
You have my approval to be anti-Phlub! As long as you use that monster voice from that one song you did. :)
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, programming
Recording Method: Cubase, Reason
Submitting as: Balance Lost

Post by furrypedro »

I am drskonk! I will review these in alphabetical order or I am liable to miss someone.

BSS: I like the verses as they have a mix of a nice flow and flange-laden guitars and vocals. Other parts seem slightly awkwardly stitched together. But overall it's full of cool tones and riffs.

Aussie Steve or whatever the f*** his name is: Ray/Steve has gone all 90s rave retro. I can imagine drunk Russians dancing to this. I like how it goes all lush and opens up in the last minute with the layered vocals and guitars and.

Colicky Zebras: This sounds like Mikey Seemanski. It has his signature style of grooves and actually pretty decent hooks in the chorus, but I don't believe it's Seemanski cos it's 101bpm which is above his tempo limit. The band sounds good, nice sounds and all real instruments. As for the song, it mostly passes me by but for the chorus which has a McAlmont & Butler-style soaring quality. Would I have preferred you fading out that chorus more than the jazzy outro widdling. Yes. Challenge met.

Dunc Mart: filming disorder on a sony camcorder is a great line. There's a few good lines here, which is a function of country-ish music, but sadly I'm turned off by this musically. If it was lyric-fight this would be right up there.

FireBear: This is pretty good, and very dramatic. The composition and performance is great. Kind of out on it's own, which is cool. I think I like the electronicy verses more than the majestic verses. Also feels like you squeezed the title into the first verse when actually the song wants to be called something like "Undeniable" or something. Either way, I Iike the expansive mix.

heine: The french mixed with the pounding beat makes me think of the excellent Philippe Katerine. This is pretty well constructed, interesting and with a pinch of fun.

Lichen Throat: he's found the distortion patch in his software! I'm still digging the post punk vibes your throwing out. Your sounds are still improving and starting to sound better than the average indie band. There is a kind of disjointedness in sections. It would be nice to hear them flow together less abruptly. Apart from that it's cool.

Magnetic letters: This reminds me of the Gomez b-sides album Abandoned Shopping Trolley Hotline. That was great fun, and this is too, in a kind of alt-folk way that eschews any conventions and just does what feels good to support a nice song. Nicely done.

Making Sparks: Sounds like we have a winner. I can't put my finger on who the lead singer is, have I heard you before? I definitely recognise Vom's tones in the backing and overall guitar indie production chops. Lotsz of swagger and very catchy. The heavy delay gives it a kind of 50s rock n roll feel. Plays to its strengths and leans into the hookiest parts of the song.

My Social Uniform: Very slick tune that puts the pop before the rock in the production. Sometimes it feels like the vocal goes down melodic cul-de-sacs, but overall it's very strong. As far as not abruptly ending goes it fails spectacularly.

Phlubia: This made me give up reviewing so now I'm writing these hungover instead of drunk. This is thee perfect hangover music. Just what I need right now. The silky tones are massaging my headache clean away. But seriously, this is incredibly adventurous structurally. I like the mathy approach and it feels like it goes through so many different sections. I have no idea what's going on with the time signature but I'm impressed that you were able to keep track of it. The riffs are cool, particularly when it leans more into the grindcore style, but the jazz metal parts are interesting too. Overall sounds like the soundtrack to someone's disintegration.

Scene Therapy: Kinda cool and groovy. The sax seems a touch too loud. The verse vocals are odd, each line seems to start well and then loses it's flow by the end of the line. I think they'd benefit from being tightened up. The final section also seems a bit jerky. Overall it's pretty well done, just a few performance wrinkles need ironing out. It gets better with repeated listens.

Toshiro: Strong melodies and decent production. I quite like the glitchiness in the beat. It would be nice if the music did something other than just hitting a chord on the first beat of each bar. Seems overly simplistic and doesn't develop much. Obviously I understand this is unfinished, so not a bad work in progress.
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, keys, "other"
Recording Method: PC, reaper, ableton
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, Vom Vorton

Post by vowlvom »

furrypedro wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:41 pm
I am drskonk!

Making Sparks: Sounds like we have a winner. I can't put my finger on who the lead singer is, have I heard you before? I definitely recognise Vom's tones in the backing and overall guitar indie production chops. Lotsz of swagger and very catchy. The heavy delay gives it a kind of 50s rock n roll feel. Plays to its strengths and leans into the hookiest parts of the song.
Thanks Dr. Skonk! Our singer is Leah, of Charm Offensive fame.
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man

Time signature question: mostly 4/4, but more like 21/8 on top of 4/4 that adds an extra 8th note every three repetitions so it gets back in sync. That's for the main riff. Jazzy bit is in 10/8. Screamy part is in 29/16. Ending is in 21/4. Blast beat descending interstellar overdrive part is 4/4.
Heine
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Heine »

furrypedro wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:41 pm
heine: The french mixed with the pounding beat makes me think of the excellent Philippe Katerine. This is pretty well constructed, interesting and with a pinch of fun.
Thanks a lot for the review and for introducing me to Philippe Katerine! Yesterday I spent hours of fun watching his videos. This guy is a genius.
I had french at school but never was really interested. With the beginning of the lockdown I started refreshing it with the Duolingo app. It is very inspiring to write some french lyrics every now and then. Not easy to sing but I think it sounds quite nice. (If you don't mind that German accent.)
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man

I got my Spintunes entry in so now it's time to get these reviews done.

Songs this week are getting the two listen treatment unless I really dig them.

Balance Lost: The guitar tone here is sublime and I like that kind of shuffly breakbeat (though there’s something about it that sounds a little over-compressed to me). Kind of gives it a baggy/madchester vibe. There’s that cool synth that I really like. For some reason I’m having difficulty holding on to the actual lyrics. I think it’s cause the overall dreaminess of the song is creating that MBV effect where the vocals don’t really matter a whole lot. That change right after the 3 minute mark is welcome after the song kind of meanders for a bit. The chorus about feeling like a dream fits the overall vibes of the song. Right when my brain starts saying “this is a bit long, eh?” it ends.

Berkeley Social Scene: There’s something about the vocal delivery that sounds really strained in a way that’s not sitting with my “7:30 am just woke up” brain. It could just be the way they’re sitting in the mix? The verses seem like they’re kind of buried, lots of lo-mids overlap. Sort of an interesting structure. I was expecting the “with the right technology” to lead to something more, but it just sort of drops into the solo. Chorus melody isn’t strong enough to be repeated that many times. Riff was alright and the solo was pretty good.

Caravan Ray: This needs bagpipes. I like some of the cool synth sounds that you come up with, it’s kind of like a parade of different sounds. A bit more subdued than what the drums seem to be calling for, The “all I can/ remember the time” transition sounds pretty abrupt, like the EQing is totally different. Harmonies in the vox coming in towards the end add a nice touch, kind of wish it started earlier. Yeah the back half is way better and when this song really starts coming together.

Colicky Zebras: Vocally, the first verse is probably the weakest, cause the others really nail the vibe...mostly it’s something I can’t tell is pitchiness or deliberate affect. But the groovy is strong here. That descending chord progression after the chorus is tight tight tight. Speaking of the chorus: it rocks. Kind of gives me Matchbox 20 vibes until you get to the verses and it gets back into that jazzy vibe. Backing harmonies that came in later on are excellent, this is one of the stronger entries this week. Are these live drums? The tonality on them sounds like a software kit but there’s so much push/pull on the tempo that sounds like it’d be hard to emulate. Either way they groove!

Duncan Martin: Are you into David Berman’s projects? This is giving me Silver Jews vibes, I think it’s your delivery and extremely detailed, story oriented lyrics and relatively simplistic musical accompaniment. I had to pause at the end of this and re-read the story cause I kind of lost track of what you were talking about. I’m happy to hear that the sphinx statue managed to be salvaged and displayed in its glory. This had better be a true story, you know?

FireBear: Every part of this is pointing my brain towards directions of stuff that was in my CD collection years ago (well, I guess it’s still there, just mostly long-neglected). I can’t at all place most of it though -- like what does that groovy portamento’d keyboard riff remind me of? Like Björk’s debut or something? I can’t place it. But I love the verses and the rest of the song is kind of … eh. But the chorus harmonies are great? And then that sweet keyboard riff, OH hit me again. I think the overly busy tom pattern in the bridge could probably be replaced with something else, it’s distracting. I somehow both like this and don’t like it at the some time.

heine: Magst du ein Sprachaufforderung? Du wohnst auf Hannover, aber du dein Liebtext auf Französisch und Englisch gescribt hast! Mein Deutsch ist schrecklich, es tut mir Leid. Ich dachte das dein Lied sehr gut zu meine Ohre geklingt and musically this was really well put together (sorry, you’re nailing this multi-lingual thing better than me, I’m so out of practice! I’m a sucker for French in songs, it just has this flow to it that sounds wunderbar when sung. I really don’t have much to complain about...I really liked this.

Lichen Throat: I like the drum sound you went with on this tune. Your vocal phrasing is getting progressively stronger as time goes on, used to be I’d just get a hint of a melody but lately it’s been just...a melody! So good on getting better with pitch. Anyway, these lyrics are a nice reflection on an adolescent missed connection. I remember I had a good friend when I was like 5 or 6 that I loved hanging out with, but then she just sort of disappeared. About 6 years later I happened to run into her...at a summer camp in a different state. Briefly touched base about a decade ago and haven’t talked to her since. Oh for the transience of childhood friendships.

The Magnetic Letters: Oh my goodness that noodly synth riff is so happy sounding. The “stop…” lyric is well executed, even if I’ve heard it it in several other tunes. The clicky casio drums are a nice touch, if a bit twee. Vocal melodies and harmonies are all great. I’d love to see you try a “live” submission next year for SF live. That noodly synth is really doing it for me. And the ending here is strong. One of the best entries so far!

Making Sparks: Oh man jammin’ pop rock. Vocals are really strong, the “do you wanna wanna wanna wanna wanna” bit sticks out as fun. I’d have chilled out on the crash cymbals a bit in the chorus, they kind of turn into a wash of static-ness. I think virtual drummer cymbals usually don’t do it for me though, something about the uniformity of it. All in all catchy, though it didn’t really stick in my head.

My Social Uniform: This is very very radio friendly but you know this. Almost all of your music is very radio friendly. Somehow this manages to sound dated but not to any specific era. Like it’s very 80s, 90s, and 00s at the same time. It’s definitely not any older than that in its stylistic influences. The chorus makes me think of U2. I would have loved the bass to do something a bit more adventurous at times though, like the chords and melody are there but there’s a lot of instrumental flourishes you could sprinkle throughout the song to give it that extra pizzazz. Cause right now the vocals and melodies are stealing the show and most of the rest is kind of leaving me cold? I mean it’s not bad, it’s technically good but I’d say it could be better.

Phlub: This was going to be a collaboration but it didn’t work out so it’s me on everything. Lyrics are about not knowing where your self ends and the outside world begins. That’s where the bit about pulling weeds and stinging yourself comes in, cause I’m literally the gardener and a stinging nettle at the same time. Anyway, yeah, time signature change extravaganza. Not sure I’ve ever tried 29/16 before! By far the most difficult drum part I’ve ever submitted to songfight, but that’s cause I spent half the song trying to be Thomas Haake. My friend called this “devo-core but insane” which I guess is a compliment.

Scene Therapy: You’ll laugh at how many times I’ve noodled this exact sax riff on my bass. It’s just such a natural sounding pattern so consequently it sounds awesome. An excellent instrumental backing for Sweeney, so good job to Sam, Ken, and Matt. The keyboards are really doing it for me. The fact that the sax solo was recorded before everything else makes how well everyone else matched it pretty impressed tbh. The lyrics about literally being god are charming.

Toshiro:
If this was in minor key it would be darkwave, but it’s major key so instead it’s synthpop. The chorus is good, very of-its-genre. The drum programming is probably my favorite part of this, they’re kind of all over the place with the fills. Synths are good. Then it just sort of ends. Short but sweet but didn’t make a big impression on me.

Favorites are probably Magnetic Letters, Making Sparks, Colicky Zebras, and Scene Therapy. Honorable mention to Heine and Balance Lost. These instant bands churn out quality tunes...
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

sleepysilverdoor wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:28 am
Colicky Zebras: ... Are these live drums? The tonality on them sounds like a software kit but there’s so much push/pull on the tempo that sounds like it’d be hard to emulate. Either way they groove!
That's me playing live drums on an electric kit. And thanks!

Colicky Zebras is Mo, Seemanski, Owl, and myself. I guess I should listen to and review the fight, huh.
Heine
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Heine »

sleepysilverdoor wrote:
heine: Magst du ein Sprachaufforderung? Du wohnst auf Hannover, aber du dein Liebtext auf Französisch und Englisch gescribt hast! Mein Deutsch ist schrecklich, es tut mir Leid. Ich dachte das dein Lied sehr gut zu meine Ohre geklingt and musically this was really well put together (sorry, you’re nailing this multi-lingual thing better than me, I’m so out of practice! I’m a sucker for French in songs, it just has this flow to it that sounds wunderbar when sung. I really don’t have much to complain about...I really liked this.
Ich bin schwer beeindruckt! Du hast viele Talente! Wie kommt man darauf, als Amerikaner Deutsch zu lernen? PS: Vielen Dank für die netten Worte. :D
I am heavily impressed! You have many talents! How come to learn German as an American? PS: Many thanks for your nice words.
Duncan
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Sax, Clarinet, Harmonica, Voice
Recording Method: Reaper
Submitting as: Duncan Martin

Post by Duncan »

sleepysilverdoor wrote:
Duncan Martin[/b]: Are you into David Berman’s projects? This is giving me Silver Jews vibes, I think it’s your delivery and extremely detailed, story oriented lyrics and relatively simplistic musical accompaniment. I had to pause at the end of this and re-read the story cause I kind of lost track of what you were talking about. I’m happy to hear that the sphinx statue managed to be salvaged and displayed in its glory. This had better be a true story, you know?
Thanks, and I only have a small amount of Silvers Jews exposure. I know I'm supposed to listen to them, and that many were sad when he died. So I'll delve in some more. The story is completely true. Here are some videos of Evan and Brendan picking it up from "Godless Heathen." I tried to use as many of his details and mannerisms as I could.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... 4HlGfY_HMB
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man

Heine wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:12 am
sleepysilverdoor wrote:
Ich bin schwer beeindruckt! Du hast viele Talente! Wie kommt man darauf, als Amerikaner Deutsch zu lernen? PS: Vielen Dank für die netten Worte. :D
I am heavily impressed! You have many talents! How come to learn German as an American? PS: Many thanks for your nice words.
Ich habe es seit 4 Jahren auf Gymnasium gelernt, und habe auch seit 2 Jahren auf Universitaet. Ich haltete mein Studiere weil Niemand hier Deutsch sprachte...es war zwecklos. :p Jetzt benutze ich nur am SongFight offenbar lol
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Post by ken »

sleepysilverdoor wrote:
Favorites are probably Magnetic Letters, Making Sparks, Colicky Zebras, and Scene Therapy. Honorable mention to Heine and Balance Lost. These instant bands churn out quality tunes...
You chose all the Instant Bands! Go Instant Band!
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
Duncan
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Sax, Clarinet, Harmonica, Voice
Recording Method: Reaper
Submitting as: Duncan Martin

Post by Duncan »

Firebear: Great soundscapes in this. I like the way it layers. I want a bit more lyrical content -- doesn’t have to be much, but I want to know more about the singer or the “you” to know why there is specialness going on. The drums are fun to focus in on.

Making Sparks: This sounds like a tribute to Chrissy Hynde and someone else, who I can’t figure out -- and it synthesizes a new sound. All the elements are really clean and balanced well. Catchy and fun.

Caravan Ray: Great beats. It’s very hypnotic. It is best when the lyrics get really weird

My Social Uniform: Makes me want to bust out my lesser-known Pure Prairie League albums. I love the cheesy key change and the harmonies. Lots of catharsis in this song.

Heine: I won’t pretend I comprehend much of it, unless the English verse is a basic translation. But I love how your voice sounds singing French. Great movement changes. Some are a bit abrupt and often, but they still work. I love this -- it’s very soothing and very playful. It ends very quickly - interesting take on the challenge.

Balance Lost: Another hypnotic one. I think it needs another element to carry it along if you are going to go 5 minutes. Maybe a chord change. The ending seems to have more audible vocals/lyrics

Toshiro: I like it. The vocal change into the chorus sounds cool. Lyrics are evocative, especially in the chorus. I don’t know if this would be too cheese-ball, but a third high harmony on the last chorus would sound nice --something in the Steve Perry vocal range

BSS: I thought the strongest part of this was the jangly instrumentation in the verse. I was having trouble hearing what was being sung. Great little solo - nice garage sound. The chorus is growing on me. I’d be into seeing this live with a beer in a basement venue.

Lichen Throat: Very relatable stories of fleeting possible interest. Leave it to parents to snuff out the puppy love of two teens at the burger shack. NIce form to this song, Not sure that the bridge worked too well musically though -- but it’s good for the narrative.

Phlub: This is another chaotic one that makes me the think of the TNG with Michael McKean as that terrible clown inside the inter-connected-computer-mind of those people who have been in stasis. Bravo! Great time signature work.

Colicky Zebras: Great concept and great big sound. Chill loungey sounds, great attitude in the vocal delivery. I love it right from start to finish.

Duncan Martin: Pizza Putt was a cool indoor mini golf place near the Volvo/Saab mechanic. It was weird -- Mt. Rushmore, Easter Island, NYC, Rainforest, Pyramids. It had it all. That Godless Heathen guy is not quite a folk hero, but a great storyteller. His wife was cool about the sphinx head but it was time to go. My friends documented the pickup of it, and I had to immortalize him. Here is the raw footage of his tale: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Not my most original melody, but I thought it was a solid use of the genre.

Scene Therapy: Very fun. Sweeney with (Matt’s?) sax riffs and then the funky track all come together well. The little Steely Dan-ish stop/interlude is cool.

Magnetic Letters: Starts like Nintendo game, but then progresses into some great 60s sounds, like Harry Nilsson and Badfinger. Great harmonies and melodic turns. It’s full of surprises. Great image of trying to be polite as claustrophobia wreaks havoc from within.