Not a single #1 hit out of (One Thousand Cuts reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott
Pronouns: he/him

Not a single #1 hit out of (One Thousand Cuts reviews)

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

But that's no excuse not to make more music.
Last edited by Lunkhead on Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: unstick
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Re: Not a single #1 hit out of (One Thousand Cuts reviews)

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Your lyric goes here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12212

Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Songs posted!
Smalltown Mike
Mean Street
Submitting as: shrts, Sewer Ppl, Flaming Tiger, shrts, shot pounder, Gert, Slither, Gaping Maw

Post by Smalltown Mike »

Seems to be an error in the song listing:

thehipcola is Hip Cola's song, but he's also listed as The Hip Cola, which is actually TV's Kyle's song.
Punk rock is for children. Grab a six-pack at Half-a-Dozen Records.
thehipcola
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: The things what make sounds.
Recording Method: LA610mk2 into UAD Apollo 8p into Cubase/LUNA/Reaper/Ableton/Reason/Maschine
Submitting as: thehipcolaredcargertFlamingTigershotpounderOGLawnDartsFussyBritchesGapingMaw

Post by thehipcola »

good catch - fwiw - I much prefer smallcapsnospaces thehipcola - if that matters. :)

Haven't heard TV Kyle's song yet but quite possibly I'd prefer that too. lol
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

This is a consequence of people not being consistent about their own band names when submitting their songs over the years. :P That was something I'd never thought about until I became the active fightmaster a few years ago, like sometimes a name would have "The" sometimes not, sometimes the case would change, sometimes there'd be spaces or something would be plural, etc. Lots of folks are in the archive with slight variations of their names. I've tried to do some consolidation based the most recently professed preference that people have, but, with the way the archive data is stored it's actually pretty difficult to perform that kind of surgery on it. Anyway, I'll get things sorted out.

EDIT: Fixed on the hompage. I'm going through the several other files I have to hand edit now too...
thehipcola
Ice Cream Man
Recording Method: LA610mk2 into UAD Apollo 8p into Cubase/LUNA/Reaper/Ableton/Reason/Maschine
Submitting as: thehipcolaredcargertFlamingTigershotpounderOGLawnDartsFussyBritchesGapingMaw

Post by thehipcola »

It certainly doesn’t matter at all to me. :) I feel like I might actually have engaged the admins about this a gajillion years ago as it’s been no caps no spaces for almost as long as I can remember. But it certainly wasn’t meant as a “please fix all the things right now” comment - totally not. And who knows - it’s quite possible I felt differently about the name 18 years ago lol. Sorry if this was taken other than an irreverent comment!

it probably doesn’t get said nearly often enough but thanks for all the things you do ‘round here Lunkhead!!
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

I wrote and recorded a song for this fight but didn't get it mixed in time... (Life is crazy and I am lazy, so what am I gonna do?) ...but I like it enough to share. Don't feel obligated but if it gets a listen or two I'd be grateful.

https://songfight.net/forums/download/file.php?mode=view&id=1681
Attachments
pigfarmerjr_1kCuts.mp3
(4.03 MiB) Downloaded 54 times

Duncan
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Sax, Clarinet, Harmonica, Voice
Recording Method: Reaper
Submitting as: Duncan Martin

Post by Duncan »

Lichen Throat - This really put me in a nice little trance. Your “when the book is open and shut…” choruses have some moments of nice melody to the vocals. Is the Canadian Tug in reference to that charming personified tugboat in Halifax Harbour? Oh wait it’s Canadian “thugs”. I hope you are referencing those assholes that started the We Charity cult. Is this whole thing a speculative fictional inner monologue of David Foster Wallace?

Schimming and Tanis - I like the sound of this, your voice reminds me of Andy Robinson, who sings on the 1977 “Mudacres, More Music Among Friends” record. And of the Wainwrights – mostly Louden. I think if you’re going to put that much reverb/delay on it, there should be something else behind it to complement the empty spaces. And maybe still a little less wet in the mix. BUt it does make it sound like low-key live music, which I miss. I like how you’ve written for the full range of your voice. Nice variety of movements.

Night Sky – Great song. Sad and evocative. The sax solo is terrific. The song reminds me a bit of Dylan’s “Sara.” Unrelated, there is a disconnect between the melodrama of the music and the sober thoughtfulness of the narrator. But it works because he’s recounting a time of drama from a more stable present. I wouldn't change much. Really well done and constructed.

Duncan Martin (me) – I am not great at bass, so I tried doing a simple alternating octave thing with the Casio fretless bass, and I think that’s exactly what Scissor Sisters did for “Tits on the Radio.” That made the whole thing feel like a dance number. The voices are to give it a bit of a circus nightmare vibe, sinister chaos. The last one is a riff on the shitty radio ads for Chimney Sweep Fireplace Shop in Vermont. They sell great woodstoves and fireplaces, but in the 90s they hired some guy to sound like an old timer and it was so patronizing. And fuck Joe Manchin right?

Robyn Mackenzie - I love when that third harmony comes in on the oohs just before the chorus. There are some really great trippy lines in this like “I drank from the fountain of tears from a firefly.” Reminds me sonically a bit of some of the stuff off the last 2 Jayhawks records. The chorus is so cathartic. The music and lyrics go together well. I like the message of healing and euphoria being possible even after trauma. It kind of sounds like my friend’s description of pregnancy and childbirth, metaphorically.

Coyot – I like the way your verses come in – kind of spare, and then you build up for the chorus. It’s done well, but I’m not a huge fan of the Sublime sound which this reminds me of.

King Arthur - The intro has a great retro sound. I kind of wanted to still hear that guitar in the background throughout. This is a very literal interpretation, and it works pretty well. On my last songfight entry about nepotism, JP (I think) rightly mentioned it was a little “on the nose” and I think the same applies here. I would try to find some way to make the message clear, but to shroud it a little more so the listener has to connect a few of the dots.

1k KTZ SALN - What does your name mean? We deserve know. This is awesome. I always cut my own hair, but I would probably at least try out OTC if it were nearby and reasonably priced. The girl/referral line is nice. Nice buildups and chord changes here. I feel like Pete Townsend probably wishes he could have worked this into Tommy.

Pannacotta Army – Remember when Jakob Dylan just wrote songs about run-down towns? This doesn’t sound like that but it reminded me of that time. You’re really versatile with your sound. I like this switch to spooky rock and roll. Solid tune, sort of a Savoy Brown kind of sound. I don’t like it when lyrics use “yeah” as a filler or punctuation, unless you put EVERYTHING into it. Just a pet peeve.

The Hip Cola - I think this is a message of despair with a hint of hope about climate change and irreversible soil depletion. I would love to be at the show where this is playing and see who in the crowd is into each of the sections. And then maybe there are those who would switch from headbanging to folk-fest twirl dancing. This song was cool. I like the “please try” line. Saying “please” in 2nd person is a bold and pretty cool move lyrically. I guess it’s no good if it’s overdone, but it is a great departure from the descriptiveness of the bulk of the song. And it’s very polite.

JP Nickolas - I always like getting to your songs for the energy of the guitar. The basic narrative of the lyrics works well. You want to receive one final cut to justify (you yourself) leaving, thus making your first and only cut. Sounds like a bad relationship. I wasn't hot on the vocal delivery – I think it could use more planning. I’d be interested to know a little more about what the cuts were. Sounds like maybe unfaithfulness, but without some character development and nuance it doesn’t pull me in. Like when the Supremes sing “Set Me Free Why Don’t You Babe,” you learn that she wants to be hurt with a full break because otherwise she’ll let herself continue to hold on if they play the friend game.

Hot PInk Halo - My friend Nish is visiting for the weekend and just got back from a Hinge coffee date and he’s playing the piano now. It’s in key with this song, so I’ll just keep on reviewing. I just have 2 left. I think this is my favourite of yours. Love the canon singing. I can’t tell what the one thousand cuts are in the metaphor. Is the knife kind of the inevitable tendency for people who know each other well to get under each others’ skin from time to time? The song is so pleasant that I want to think these cuts are not all bad even though it is an image of gentle stabbing.

TV’s Kyle - I have to admit I find this song grating on me. It’s not something I would listen to while rowing a boat on a placid pond and trying to get away from it all. BUT – it’s funny, and it reminds of a few overzealous Home Depot cut centre employees I’ve come across over the years, who not only made the wrong cuts, but then actually wanted to charge for the cuts beyond the three free ones. But when it works well, that cut shop can be a real time saver.
lichenthroat
Mean Street
Recording Method: MuseScore & Ardour or Reaper
Submitting as: Lichen Throat, Dimetrodon, Sparetooth, Dessert Tortoise

Post by lichenthroat »

Duncan wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:39 pm
Is this whole thing a speculative fictional inner monologue of David Foster Wallace?
Yes! That's it exactly.
TVsKyle
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: keyboard, accordion, drum loops
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: TV's Kyle

Post by TVsKyle »

Duncan wrote:

TV’s Kyle - I have to admit I find this song grating on me. It’s not something I would listen to while rowing a boat on a placid pond and trying to get away from it all.
Good lord, is THAT what I was supposed to be striving for? Because if that's the case, I TRULY didn't understand the assignment!
-Kyle A. Carrozza
http://TVsKyle.bandcamp.com
Duncan
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Duncan »

TVsKyle wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:31 pm
Duncan wrote:

TV’s Kyle - I have to admit I find this song grating on me. It’s not something I would listen to while rowing a boat on a placid pond and trying to get away from it all.
Good lord, is THAT what I was supposed to be striving for? Because if that's the case, I TRULY didn't understand the assignment!
Everyone else called me up beforehand to ask what I would be doing while listening to their submissions. Didn't hear from you though, which is a shame.
robynmackenzie
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Submitting as: Robyn Mackenzie
Pronouns: she/her

Post by robynmackenzie »

Wow, this is a great fight. So many amazing entries and different takes on the title. Awesome job, everyone!

The Pannacotta Army: Very cool organ and spy-movie bass line. Lots of fun aural treats here in terms of instrumentation and arrangement. Great lyrics too!

King Arthur: That intro hooked me right away but I want your vocal to be more upfront. Clever storytelling in the lyrics, and I like the take on the title. The guitar is just clean enough to be poppy, just gritty enough to rawk.

JP Nickolas: “I’m bleeding out the bitterness with every little pain” is a great line. Cool chord progressions. The drums have a great energy that really drives the song.

Hot Pink Halo: Oooh, spacey sound effects. Kind of psychedelic. I like the phrasing a lot. This paints a really nice soundscape, and your vocals are lovely–that little round at the end is really cool!

Coyot: I like how the beginning shifts from this cool wall of sound to the reggae-rock vibe of the verse. This makes me want to stand in the back of a smoke-filled club drinking dark beer, with music that’s so engaging it makes me forget how much I hate smoke-filled clubs. I really like this!

Duncan Martin: Really enjoying the variety in the vocals. The whole song is a delightful ride. I like how you interpreted the title–strong metaphor there.

Robyn Mackenzie: This came to me pretty much right away when I read the title, as I’m in recovery from mental illness and self harm. It’s taken me a long time to be able to write and talk about it, and I’m glad to hear that it was cathartic to listen to because it was certainly cathartic to write. It also inspired the title of my NaSoAlMo album (which is up on Bandcamp, Soundcloud, and Youtube so far).

Lichen Throat: Love that lo-fi fuzz. This has a subtle energy to it that reminds me of a lot of the shoegaze hipster stuff from the early 2000s. I think I’ve said that to you before, but it’s true and very fondly nostalgic.

Schimming & Tanis: The vocal melody in unison with the guitar in the verse works really well. I’d love to hear this with a full band–I can imagine really rocking out, even though the stripped-down dreaminess works too. Nice.

thehipcola: Awesome edgy guitar here. I really like the contrast between the verse and the chorus, really nice addition of that synth. Really keeps the listener engaged. `This is super cool!

TV’s Kyle: This has a real They Might Be Giants feel. The lyrics are really clever. The synth is a little busy and overwhelming for me, and I want it down in the mix just a bit. Nice harmonies though, and I enjoy the overall vibe.

Night Sky: Is that a melodica? This makes me want to eat at an Italian restaurant for some reason. Is that weird? That’s kind of weird. Really unique feel here.

Pigfarmer jr: Really digging that guitar riff. This has a retro, yet modern feel that I like a lot. Cool take on the title too, and nice solo work.
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, vocals, bass, BIAB, keyboards (synth anything)
Recording Method: Tascam DP-24SD
Submitting as: King Arthur

Post by king_arthur »

I don't feel quite ready to do song-by-song reviews; I'm still at the "what songs do I like?" stage. Votes to TV's Kyle, Panacotta Army, Robyn Mackenzie, and me (just so I won't end up with zero votes). I'll try to do better next time... I haven't done much recording / mixing in the last couple years, and there were some issues with the settings on the recorder that I couldn't figure out... and, yeah, the vocals should have been louder, I had problems monitoring the mix, as well. I think I've fixed that stuff, most of it, on the next song.

A couple comments: One Thousand Cuts Salon, the instrumental track was a bit too MIDI for my taste (I know, I should talk). Same for Duncan Martin, drums especially. Hot Pink Halo, doubling the vocal didn't work for me, neither one of the vocal tracks felt like it succeeded in dragging the vocals back to being "in tune." If you have access to an autotune plugin, you might try singing it once, duping the track, autotuning one of the two and then mixing that back in underneath. Night Sky, wish there was more stereo separation in the mix (I listen on headphones and I like hearing different things going on out to the sides.
"...one does not write in dactylic hexameter purely by accident..." - poetic designs
lichenthroat
Mean Street
Recording Method: MuseScore & Ardour or Reaper
Submitting as: Lichen Throat, Dimetrodon, Sparetooth, Dessert Tortoise

Post by lichenthroat »

1k KTZ SALN—This works well as a novelty song. It’s fun, thematically cohesive, and humorous. I got the melody stuck in my head a few times, so it’s catchy, too.

coyot—Okay, it’s metal reggae with a church organ. It all works together, though. This isn’t quite my cup of tea, but it’s pretty good. I can nod along happily as the reggae beat demands.

Duncan Martin—I like hearing a different style from you. This reminds me, quite unexpectedly, of The Nails (which I intend as a compliment). The length is perfect. Nice job, despite (or perhaps because of) its weirdness.

thehipcola—The drums sound appropriately metalesque. The chorus reminds me of early 90s Rush, and it fits well with the rest of the song. This sounds kind of like Metallica performing a Rush song, in fact. I liked this overall.

Hot Pink Halo—I liked the doubled vocal. I didn’t like the melodies as much, but that’s a matter of personal taste. I like the unexpected fast notes in the bass line. I also like how there’s so much going on at the end; the arrangement is cool.

JP Nickolas—I like how your voice sounds right at the beginning of the song: powerful and resonant. I wish that carried throughout the song. I like the melodies and the guitar playing. The bridge and solo are both highlights.

King Arthur—It’s an honor to be in a fight with you (I think we were both in the same one once before). To a relative newcomer like me, you’re a legendary Songfight figure. This mix seems a little loud. I like the song, though. You have a nice chord progression, and I like the slight warble in your voice, which fits well with the style and lyrics. This has a nice organic feel.

Lichen Throat—I was trying to be all experimental, writing in 5/4, using weird instruments, and all three of my new Evermind plugins. This mostly just sounds like a normal Lichen Throat song, though. Put this in the middle of the pack of my oeuvre, then move on to something else.

Night Sky—I like the accordion, or whatever that is. I fell like I could dance a tango to this (okay, not me, but someone who knows how to tango). Very atmospheric. Count this one as a success.

The Pannacotta Army—That cool bass (or low guitar) line is an excellent choice to anchor the song on. This is in the top quartile of your stuff. Nice and energetic. A fine job. Good production too, of course.

Robyn Mckenzie—Soooo dreamy. This is one of your best vocals (and they’re usually good). I’m not sure what to say about this, but I liked it a lot. Everything seems perfectly in place.

Schimming & Tanis—That opening guitar sounds great. The closer I listen to this, the more I like it. I thought at first that the high vocal parts seemed out of your range, but as the song goes on, I think they sound pretty good. I really like the timbre of your voice on the lower notes.

TV’s Kyle—This is funny and catchy. I’d kind of like to hear the same song structure with less whimsical instrumental and vocal style. I’m not sure whether that would be better, but it sound be interesting. This sounds like a skilled band having some lighthearted fun.
thehipcola
Ice Cream Man

Post by thehipcola »

Pretty quick, 1 listen reviews - so don't read too much into them. Great fight - lots of fun takes on the title and some really well made music here!

standouts for me are probably Robyn Mackenzie, Panacotta Army and Coyot.

1k KTZ SALN: "Masters of Lather" - and I'm already loving this. Things I like: the sweepy synth phase thing, the melodic bass line. Things I like less: the muddy stereo backup vocals.. the lack of weight in the bass, the drifting timing here and there. Overall: fun, bouncy take on the title with more awesome than not.

coyot: Things I like: the long held chord introducing the verse, the understated verse vocal. The shift to doom guitar in between verses. Things I like less: not enough organ

Duncan Martin: Things I like: the way this strangely reminds of the songs "Convoy" and "The Devil Went Down to Georgia" for some reason, the characters, the take on the title. Things I like less: that it's not my cup of tea. That said - it's pretty awesome notwithstanding... nice one.

thehipcola: not gonna review my own track, but I will say this was a start to finish 1 day effort. As such, it's sorely lacking a bridge, a lead, transitions and turnarounds, melodic variation, more lyrics... stuff to dress it up. Might re-work it as part of a trilogy of similar sounding vibes... thnx for listening!

Hot Pink Halo: Things I like: the way the progression shifts into mysterious character at the end of the verse... the spacey, sparse production, your improved singing chops since the last time I reviewed a fight, which has been a spell..nice!. Things I like less: the intelligibility of the vocals in general...

JP Nickolas: Nice riff! Things I like: the guitar riff for sure - nice playing throughout! Things I like less: the vocals - sort of pitchy and the character of the vocal doesn't seem to capture the energy of the track behind it. The music overall could be punchier.. seems very polite in presentation for such a ripping tune!

King Arthur: Things I like: The lead guitar tone off the top - nice breakup. The familiarity of a KA tune! Things I like less: The strummy guitars not perfectly tuned... some pitchy vox. Great to see you still fightin' King Arthur!

Lichen Throat: Things I like: the cool opening saturated groove and ambient guitar width - very cool! Things I like less: the vocals seem pitch agnostic, but I sense that's your style... just want to hook into a melody but it's not clear to me what it is. I like the mysterious vibe of this track...

Night Sky: Things I like: use of the stereo field to keep 'em separated, guitar seems decently tracked. Things I like less: well - a few things... the sort of mumbled, clever lyrics don't work for me.. perhaps if more was done to highlight what you're singing I'd be into them more.. the accordian type thing doesn't hit with me - but that's a preference thing, I am not into that kind of sound, almost ever.

The Pannacotta Army: Things I like: all the instruments sound great! nice mix! Great chorus for sure. Things I like less: a little bit of low-mid mud on the lead vocal - super hair splitty... nice work on this one.

Robyn Mackenzie: Things I like: pillow-y hi-hat sound nice.. wide chorus guitars, lovely voice - really dig the harmonies too! wow! Things I like less: some production choices but that's cuz I'm into those things - I dig this tune a lot!

Schimming & Tanis: Things I like: nice guitar work - I like the ornament/device you play - nice! I dig the way it spreads out partway through.. Things I like less: would love to hear this recorded differently.. but no idea what gear you have.. The vocals are mumblyish in spots..

TV's Kyle: Things I like: the crazy kick drum pattern right off the top.. the quirky devo synth bass style.. nice. Nice progressions. Things I like less: nerdy synth pop a la early 80's is fun, but has limited shelf-life for me.. it is hella cute though - and very well done.
Duncan
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Duncan »

@thehipcola, being compared to CW McCall's Convoy (or Paul Brandt's cover of it), without being accused of ripping it off, is up there with one of the best compliments ever, no sarcasm. Major high point, thank you. Might have to print it out and put this up on the fridge next to my Chris Isaak autograph.
jpnickolas
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: guitar
Recording Method: UMC202HD, Reaper
Submitting as: JP Nickolas

Post by jpnickolas »

Meant to put these together earlier, but it looks like I'll be slipping them in before the votes are counted. Good job everyone!

Schimming & Tanis
I really like the finger picked guitar. Good tension on those verse chords (2:15-2:25 for example), although I wish the vocals didn't track the guitar so closely at that part. The guitars add a cool texture there, and it would be awesome to hear that key explored more with the melody. I like the strings, keys, and vocal doubling around 1:30, and would have enjoyed more of it throughout the song.

Night Sky
Mmmm, between the guitar tone, key, and wood block that sounds almost like maracas, I get great spanish vibes from this. You really lean into the style. The harmonica sounds a bit midi during some of the single notes, around 1:13 for example - not sure if it's actually midi or just more staccato than I'm expecting. I really love the harmonica backing that sax solo. And that solo. It's long, but I'm definitely not upset about it - I'd probably take a whole instrumental song of this. A bit odd how suddenly it stops - maybe one last note that fades out as the vocals come in?

Coyot
Ohhh, getting some Boston rocket ship vibes from those guitars. Never my cup of tea - I like more high end in the guitars, but I think these suit the song especially with the organ. I really like the riffs of the cleaner guitar and how they interplay with the organ and vocals. High hats were a bit loud at times. Outro felt like it overstayed its welcome - it could have used something more than the occasional organ flourish to keep it interesting.

TV's Kyle
Digging these chiptune backing doodly-doops. Are those bongos in background around 0:46? Delightful! I dig the bridge. Overall very polished.

thehipcola
Hell yeah, something heavy! I like the keys that come in, and the key change - real nice optimistic shift to the heavy beginning. Honestly, the interlude afterwards getting you back to the heavy guitars is really cool too. Listened to it a few times in particular to pick out what's going on. Would have liked to hear a melody or solo take advantage of that especially near the outro (like 2:27-2:40), but that's just me selfishly really digging the chord progression.

King Arthur
Guitar's a bit hot in the intro, especially compared to the vocals. I'm not sure if it's clipping at all or if it's my headphones, but I hear a bit of fuzziness in that intro that doesn't sound like the intentional guitar breakup. Maybe just me. I think you could hold out the notes at the end of your intro longer as the vocals come in for a smoother transition. I dig the vocals, especially in some of the scratchier/throatier sections like 1:45. I like the interplay of the lead and vocals during the chorus sections, and could use some more of that during the verse where we just have a strumming guitar - you get some of it with the bass but not quite enough for me to follow without listening closely.

1k KTZ SALN
I'm enjoying these lyrics. Very silly and clever, but probably the most memorable chorus I've heard so far. The nasaly "I don't care anymore" is particularly fun. The bass guitar is a bit thin (maybe intentionally), but when the toms aren't being played I feel like I'm missing a lot of low end (which is most of the song).

Robyn Mackenzie
I really like the swell of harmonizing vocals and distortion into the electric guitar around 0:55. Very smooth transition. Incredible vocals as always - I'm very jealous. The whole song has a gradual crescendo of more harmonizing vocals that keeps everything interesting.

JP Nickolas
Man, one of these days I'll put together some vocals I like. I started taking vocal lessons, so we'll see how soon they pay off. Aside from the pitchiness, I like how the chorus came out with the harmonizing. This song feels like it goes by without each part being memorable. Especially after hearing how well Robyn Mackenzie's song builds incrementally, I wish I had spent some more time on embellishments I could add in over the song. Especially in the outro, it feels like more of the same and taking things down a notch in intensity for the first half could have really added some punch to those last lines. I'm happy with how the solo sounds technically, but keep finding myself wanting a little more personality from it on subsequent listens.

Lichen Throat
I'm digging the spacial panning of this. A lot more depth than the usual Lichen Throat song. The soundscapes in the left ear do a lot to cover up the midi sound of the guitar in a way that I think works very well. Consider using them more in future songs, since I think it adds a lot of dynamics that are normally missing. Drums sound like they're set to max velocity and could use a bit of humanizing, though.

Hot Pink Halo
I was a bit skeptical of the kalimba at first since it sounds a bit off time in the intro, but it emphasizes the vocals really nicely throughout the song. Oh, I like those plucking sounds around 1:00. Similarly the horns around 1:50. With the layering of the round, it sounds like fading in and out of a dream that's running up against a different song. It's chaotic in a really fun way.

The Pannacotta Army
Mmm, I love that screaming organs with that secret agent bass line. The surfer guitar is an interesting mix into that vibe that works (not sure if you normally have organ with surfer rock, but I like how they mix a lot). The solo and whipeout is a real treat. I always wish I could find something constructive to say with your songs since I so often give a basic "no notes" response, but it does make me feel better that your other reviews this week have been similar. The organ during the bridge is particularly good with tempering the more simple guitar and relatively simple vocals during it.

Duncan Martin
It's a bit hard to follow the bass (especially noticeable during the intro) because its fast notes seem to be on unexpected measures. They definitely repeat intentionally, but it just feels kinda foreign and jarring. This may just be genre bias, but I think I expect those interesting bass parts to emphasize on measures 1&2, 3&4, 1&3, or 2&4. Doing the 2&3 (or hypothetically the 1&4) just throws me off a bit and makes me expect measure 2 to have the cadence of the first (or third) measure in the song. Sorry to spend a lot of time on this, it's actually a pretty minor complaint overall, but it was interesting to figure out why it felt off to me. Again I'm not confident that this is universal. I really like the lyrics. I didn't have them in front of me while listening, but I legitimately smiled when I realized this was about politics and not cooking. Both are clever interpretations of the song, and I really like them both together as a double entendre. Especially delightful that the most upsetting part of the song (1:27-1:42) is also the most cheerful part of the song. Also excellent Vincent Price impersonation. Overall, this was a standout for the week.
mholland
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Saxophones and other things
Recording Method: Scarlett 18i20, Logic
Submitting as: Night Sky

Post by mholland »

Thanks for the reviews! Hoping to write some of my own reviews before the next fight is posted. But since there was so much speculation about the melodica/harmonica/accordion sounds, I will confirm that it was a real live melodica. At one point I considered switching to a MIDI accordion, but I like to try to keep the instruments physical as long as I can get something I can live with. I’m not very good with that tiny keyboard, though, so it took a lot of takes!
Night Sky is Sally on lyrics, Steve on drums, and Matt on the other stuff
jpnickolas
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: guitar
Recording Method: UMC202HD, Reaper
Submitting as: JP Nickolas

Post by jpnickolas »

Hah! That explains it! I re-listened to that part several times before posting the review to figure out if they were midi or not. It had more dynamics than I'd expect from midi, but still there were parts where the notes changed more cleanly than I'd expect from a harmonica. Thanks for revealing the mystery!
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

The Pannacotta Army wins!
robynmackenzie
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Submitting as: Robyn Mackenzie
Pronouns: she/her

Post by robynmackenzie »

Congrats Tim!!!