Throwing rocks at the (Wanderer Above The Sea Of Fog reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott
Pronouns: he/him

Throwing rocks at the (Wanderer Above The Sea Of Fog reviews)

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Which would explain my lack of cognitive function.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Re: Throwing rocks at the (Wanderer Above The Sea Of Fog reviews)

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Please place your lyric in the appropriate place: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12242
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Songs posted!
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, vocals, bass, BIAB, keyboards (synth anything)
Recording Method: Tascam DP-24SD
Submitting as: King Arthur

Post by king_arthur »

Well, I just sent mine in, so if I miss out entirely or if I go under "late entries" that's cool.
Last edited by king_arthur on Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"...one does not write in dactylic hexameter purely by accident..." - poetic designs
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

I'll add it when I have time. Might not be for a couple days.
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drums, Guitars, Keys
Recording Method: Focusrite + FL Studio
Submitting as: Phl*b*
Pronouns: bruh
Location: Not super far from Atlanta but definitely not Atlanta

Post by sleepysilverdoor »

Prill Phuner is the best song.
"There's a lot to be said about a full-on frontal assault on the ear drums" - Pigfarmer Jr.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

King Arthuer's song has been added to the fight.
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

Quick comments on the first run-through. There's nothing here that I dislike, lots of solid stuff, prob give Owl the win, but not by a ton.

Berkeley Social Scene - I like the echo of Echoes at the start, though it doesn't lean too far in, not overly done lushness. Chugging along to the chorus is good, chorus could use a vocal or key helper, makes the voice sound a bit stranded. Good lead, good structure, I like the foggy parts best here.

Brown Word and the Big Whine - Classic rock jam. The middle section is very metal, Sabbath with Dio. A little unfinished, this is, but a good template to build on. Bigger production on drums, belting vocal, yeah.

Buku Chauney - Gotta mention Ween, sorry. Easy going and waving to a distant, kooky cousin, this is a pleasant stroll. Bit wobbly as it goes, it never quite falls down. Good length for a walk with this.

Dollar Bill & the Inkpoints - How would this play at the pub? The vocals would work, the wonderful synths would make everybody weak in the knees. Very heady, but gooey as well. I like it even, if it makes me almost a bit woozy.

Duncan Martin - Great story, takes a less than typical turn. I thought she'd disappear into the fog, mermaid thing, similar. Good mood, dark and light, the strummy chords at the end feel a little lonely. Not quite singalongy yet, but in the neighborhood.

Gray - I thought I'd like this, then I didn't, then I did, all in the first minute. I totally dig the open, minimal layers here, telling more with very little. It's easy to fill in the blanks with your mind here, but don't need to. This just as easily could have been a failed drag, and maybe if not in the right mood, might make you skip it, but this is quite effective. I like it.

Heid
- This is pretty cool. The lyrics work and the non-throbby stuff is very albatross, as far as I know anyway. Late night headphone music doesn't stay around longer than needed. Deadpan vocals good fit.

Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - I really dig the vibe here, strummy minor chord, related to the sixty's vibe. Tambourine and a 12-string bit would knock it completely there. Great arrangement, this'd be a blast to play live. Nice!

King Arthur - The swing doesn't match the character's fog, but that's good, no? The little interludes between the verses are great, very mature progression. Instruments, voice sound great, drums a bit fake. But it's a well-balanced tune.

Lichen Throat - The lyrics are not in my vein of understanding but remind me of that Smiths tune. The music is great, voice sounds good, but its rhythm is too off. More straight-forward might click better. Sounds good, though.

miscellaneous owl - Pleas put this on the modern day Pretty In Pink soundtrack. Lovely, dreamy and longing. The melodies hold your hand as the music floats you along. I feel a little jealous that I'm not the one being waited for!

Paco del Stinko - Very me, too much perhaps, but thought it had a pretty good energy. Vocal way under cooked, performance-wise.

Phlub - Takes off great, love the drive, drums esp. Diffuser vocals are working, could just as easily have screaming ones. The semi-tone shit is great, and this is an enjoyable skull bash. The higher melody is really the only let-up this offers, very effective. Great.

Prill Phuner - Love the pulse of this, and all the tones are great, esp the sizzly stuff. I can't understand much of the vocal, and it's a bit too goony at times, but like where both the full voice and the radio one sit. Could use a re-mix, but good fun.

Robyn Mackenzie - Love the pre-chorus and mood change thereafter. This gets better as it goes along. Thought it might be draggy at the start but picks up emotionally as it goes. Nice melodies and tasty overlapping bits. End loses a bit of focus and grip, but this rides nicely.

WreckdoM - Trippy, dark, the lyrics are great. Wobbles around the murder barn a bit, inside your head, uncertainty and fear. Yet there's strange comfort, too. Another sandwich with acid jelly. Mmm...
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man

Paco Del Stinko wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:45 pm

Phlub - Takes off great, love the drive, drums esp. Diffuser vocals are working, could just as easily have screaming ones. The semi-tone shit is great, and this is an enjoyable skull bash. The higher melody is really the only let-up this offers, very effective. Great.
You have to like it cause I recorded it with your guitar pick.
"There's a lot to be said about a full-on frontal assault on the ear drums" - Pigfarmer Jr.
Gray
A New Player
Instruments: Assorted... mostly keys these days.
Recording Method: FLStudio
Submitting as: Gray

Post by Gray »

Hey everyone... I'm new here. I've actually been occasionally dropping by and listening to the songs here for many years, but hadn't managed to submit any. I've taken a decade long break from doing any music production/recording type stuff and am just getting back into it.

As I appreciate any feedback, I wanted to take the time to listen and provide my thoughts/reactions. Any recommendations I might make are things I would try/consider, but may not work out. If you think I'm wrong about any of these things -- you're probably right.

Here we go (in random order):

Berkeley Social Scene - Dig the intro, makes me want to keep listening to find out what this song is about. Drums sound good. The guitar solo is a little meandering, but pleasant. This may be a personal preference, but the vocals could be a little bit more clear (a little less of whatever processing you are using there).

miscellaneous owl - The 'bell' sound at the beginning is interesting in a nice way (I can't seem to think of what to call it, sounds like a water filled wine glass hit with a spoon or maybe a kids toy). Vocal sounds a little far back in the mix (particularly at 'in the mountains...'). You've got a great voice. To me the sounds on this sound kindof mushed together (which may be what you were going for), I think it might benefit from a little more separation/space. The 'fuzzy pad' sound that is at the beginning and end seems to muddy things, my intuition tells me it might be better just to drop that sound entirely. Overall this was very good.

WreckdoM - Interesting. I like the overlapping vocal aspect of it. Makes me think of a less energetic Tenacious D. On speakers the lower pitched voicing was sometimes hard to understand, but it was more clear in headphones. The instrumentation on this sounds good, but it sounds kindof detached from the vocal part (I feel like I can only focus on one or the other at any point in the song). I like the ending.

Lichen Throat - Vocals are a little rambling. There is an overall lack of dynamics among the instruments and vocal in this (everything feels like it's the same volume all the way through, the instruments are playing different pitches but the notes sound the same all the way through)... I think it's tough to hold the listeners attention this way.

Heid - Cool sounds. I don't like the vocoder effect on the vocal (personal preference) but I do see why you used it for this song. This track sounded like it was building toward something, and then it just ended.

Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Nice guitar sound. I feel like the harmony on the 'how did I find you' could be a little 'bigger'. The best part of this song: 'I'm in the fog you're high above, wandering now you're my lo a ove a ove'... that one really delivered.

Buku Chauney - I would encourage you to drop the lonely snare lead in at the beginning. The multiple vocal tracks make it very difficult to understand the words. The instrumental part on the second half of this song was enjoyable.

Prill Phuner - Too loud. The whole track feels over compressed. The spoken word part of this is just right, sounds great (although it does get overtaken by the synth at parts). The distorted vocal part is somewhat abrasive to me.

Phlub - That's a good groove at the beginning. I feel like there could be a little more loudness on the vocal to bring it out just a bit. The part from 1:48 to 2:15 kinda loses me. Parts of this reminds me of 'The Presidents Of The United States Of America' (which is a good thing).

Robyn Mackenzie - I don't know... the drums/synth (alone) intro on this doesn't inspire me to keep listening. It's much better after the vocals come in (if it were up to me I'd just leave that intro part off). The little sound that comes in around 1:08 is great (adds some good depth). The stuff from around 2:38 on is really good. I like the vocal harmonies. End is good.

Brown Word and the Big Whine - I feel like the lead guitar in the intro doesn't really cut through the mix like it should.. could be louder (and perhaps an octave higher). The vocal melody seems somewhat detached from the accompaniment, it feels like in a lot of places the vocal is staying on the same note while the chords are changing underneath (and this is unsettling to me). My favorite part of this is the guitar section from 1:38 to to 2:02. Overall the drums seem a little quiet in the mix.

Dollar Bill & the Inkpoints - Good intro. The synth stuff in the song was somewhat interesting. The vocals could be brought more forward in the mix. I didn't care for the multi-vocals in the 'adventurer above the see of fog' part.

Paco del Stinko - Nice intro, has a good feel to it. The harmony vocal parts on this were really enjoyable (love the 'bye bye'). Drums are good (sound very appropriate for this track). The outro works (but leaves me wanting more of those harmony vocals).

Duncan Martin - The guitar sound is very pleasant. The vocals and lyrics on this are good. I dig the harmonica solo. The guitar section at the end is also good... but the end is kindof a let down because I'm expecting it to go to another round of the vocal and get a cymbal crash instead.

King Arthur - That lead synth in the intro feels out of place against the rest of the more organic sounding instruments on this. I like the organ sound in this song (it complements the guitars). Guitar parts/effects on this are nice. Overall the mix on this is pretty good (my only issue with it would be a little too much compression on the master channel for my taste). The vocal and instruments are all very clear & clean.

Gray (me) - I've got some thoughts on where this could be improved... but I'm curious to see if they match up with what some of you may be thinking, so I'm not going to share them at this time. Thanks in advance for any feedback you can provide!
lichenthroat
Mean Street
Recording Method: MuseScore & Ardour or Reaper
Submitting as: Lichen Throat, Dimetrodon, Sparetooth, Dessert Tortoise

Post by lichenthroat »

Berkeley Social Scene—Nice atmospheric intro. All the instruments sound clear and distinct, and I like the interplay among them. Lyrically, I’m not sure what this is about. The vocal could be a little louder in the mix without hurting anything. I like that little tap on the ride cymbal. The guitar tones sound good, too.

Brown Word and the Big Whine—This whole thing sounds kind of muffled. On this song, I want to hear the guitar whine and hear your voice wail almost painfully. I like this composition a lot, and the performances are pretty good, but I think the mix prevents it from reaching its full potential. I want this to be huge and epic.

Buku Chauney—This falls in an uncanny valley between an earnest song and a novelty song. I think you’re trying to be funny with the weird double tracking with the cough deliberately left in, along with the short duration. I think this would work better as a serious song, though.

Dollar Bill & the Inkpoints—I like the rhythm. That siren-like instrument could be turned down. I neither hate nor love this. It seems like all the pieces are there, but they’re not arranged right. Or something. I’m sorry I can’t form a more precise set of comments.

Duncan Martin—I want the voice more up front. Not necessarily louder, but the guitar sounds like it’s clearer and closer, which is not what this song needs. Lyrics and rhymes are quite good, as usual. This feels like it needs an extra push to go over the cliff, but I’m not sure in what direction. (More harmonies, maybe?) I like it, though.

Gray—The piano sounds great, and I really like your chorus melody. I usually like loud drums, but maybe I’d turn them down a little since the song has such a quiet atmosphere. It’s hard to comment on the vocal since I haven’t heard you before, but it sounds like perhaps you’re making too much of a deliberate effort to sound forlorn. I like your voice, though. Welcome, and thanks for your review comments; all the technical detail is appreciated!

Heid—This is a weird song, but it’s cool. I’m really straining to hear that quiet synth, which I think could be there most interesting instrument in this, especially if you put a little more melody into its arrangement. The vocal delivery and effect is interesting, and it works well in context. I don’t think I’d want a whole album of it, but it’s good for one song. This sounds like nothing else; at the very minimum, it’s a cool experiment. Intriguing.

Ken’s Super Duper Band ’n Stuff—The little bridge was my favorite part. I don’t love this, but I like it. I just listened to this again, all the way through, to try to something more specific to comment on, but I’m still having trouble coming up with anything. It’s like a smooth, oblique surface that I can’t quite get a good hold of. Maybe it could use a more internal variability.

King Arthur—I love your wide, clear mix. This really has a cinematic feel, as if it was written to be used prominently in a film soundtrack. There’s a strong groove, but for some reason I can’t quite get into that groove. I’m not much a blues man, so you should probably conclude that this song is objectively somewhat better than my review would indicate. My brain likes this more than my heart does.

Lichen Throat—Oh man, did I have trouble with the timing on the vocal. Obviously. This is the first song I’ve written in 9/8. The lyrics are about how I think Romanticism is better than the literary and artistic movements that came before and after it. Despite its flaws, I really like this one, for some reason. I think it does actually sound good if you listen to it 10 or 20 times in a row. I need to find a way to make the song itself ask you to do that, rather than putting it in words here.

miscellaneous owl—I love the dreaminess and how it washes over this listener. Maybe I’d like little more of than with the low instruments as well as the high and midrange ones, but that’s a pretty small quibble. This sounds better every time I listen to it. My favorite of the week.

Paco del Stinko—This is among my favorites of yours. Your voice fits well with the tone of the song, and I like the vocal melodies. I also like the progression from each section of the song to the next. Sound fun, sounds good.

Phlub—I like this a lot better than I thought I would. Both the rhythms and melodies are good, and your voice sounds good and fits well with the song. Yeah, I genuinely like this. Relentless in a good way.

Prill Phuner—The mix is pretty loud. I like the vocal melody in the verse. Consider laying off the distortion sometimes and having a few clean sections for contrast. There’s a good song in here.

Robyn Mackenzie—This gets better as it goes. I wondered at first if this was going to be boring. But then it’s not. At all. When that synth drops just before the chorus, I think I’m in good hands, and then I know for sure when the chorus gets going. This really demonstrates your versatility, too.

WreckdoM—I like the instrumental. I think it would sound good paired with a more conventional vocal. The drums and guitars sound great, and I like the atmosphere they create.
robynmackenzie
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Submitting as: Robyn Mackenzie
Pronouns: she/her

Post by robynmackenzie »

Berkeley Social Scene: Super dreamy intro. Then that fuzzzzz yes. I really want vocal harmonies, though. I liked it a lot otherwise!

Paco del Stinko: I love these lyrics, especially the second verse. Very nice production, everything sounds really clean and bright. That guitar solo rocks.

Brown Word and the Big Whine: Really interesting delivery of a really interesting story. I like how you accentuated “wanderer.” The ending is really cool. I enjoyed this.

Phlub: The combination of bold synths and kinetic drums is exciting and hooked me right away. I like your vocal a lot, and you kept it engaging with each section. Well done.

Lichen Throat: “Give me passion and lovers, not dictionaries and jokes” is a really powerful line. Dreamy indie-pop with conviction. I really like the instrumentation, there’s a nice rhythm there.

miscellaneous owl: Holy dream pop, Batman! This is beautiful. That swelling synth in the background adds a really cool element. This sounds great in headphones.

Buku Chauney: I didn’t really get interested in this until that cool guitar solo in the middle. I do like the folk-rock feel in general though. Upbeat but gentle.

Robyn Mackenzie: I agree with other reviews that this got better as it went along. I tried to challenge myself to use only electric piano sounds, but I didn’t like it until I added more synths. I often find myself working on a project and hate it at first, but make myself finish it out of spite.

Prill Phuner: Electric. I especially like the intro. The frog is a fun touch!

King Arthur: I love the chords you’re using, and the chorus is really, really good. I found myself moving along to that swing beat right away. I like the lyrics a lot.

Gray: Interesting chimey sounds at the beginning, kind of draws you into the atmosphere of the song. I like the chord progression and gentle piano.

WreckdoM: The alternating operatic vocals with the spoken word questions is neat. I like “What is in this song? Is it a poem? A riddle, a warning, or am I just stoned?” That line in particular resonated with me.

Dollar Bill & the Inkpoints: This is a ride, and a fun one! The lyrics have a lot of strong imagery. Cool instrumentation.

Ken’s Super Duper Band ‘n’ Stuff: Nice storytelling. I really like the chord progressions you use. I especially like the phrasing in the chorus.

Heid - It was good to hear this again. Such a fascinating soundscape. The distorted spoken vocal is haunting and compelling.

Duncan Martin: Very folky. The story in the lyrics is engaging and keeps interest throughout the song. I like how there’s a semi-Celtic, semi-Americana feel to this.
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man

robynmackenzie wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:41 pm
Phlub: The combination of bold synths and kinetic drums is exciting and hooked me right away. I like your vocal a lot, and you kept it engaging with each section. Well done.
No synths! Guitar (with false bridge to shift the 2nd harmonic to the 11th fret) -> envelope filter -> fuzz

I had to avoid singing any fifths cause the tuning system doesn't allow them.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

Oohh, with the pressure of trying to finish FAWM I just realized I haven't reviewed/voted yet. I'll try to do this weekend.
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Paco del Stinko wins!
HeuristicsInc
Beat It

Post by HeuristicsInc »

bss - love the guitars in the intro. unfortunately no lyrics posted. my favorite thing in this song is the guitars. did i mention that?

brown - is that vocal supposed to be so buried in the mix? actually the whole mix seems pretty muffled. i like the imagery in the lyrics tho.

buku - unfortunately no lyrics posted. vocals are oddly effected. the solo section is pretty cool. i like the variety of instruments. weird abrupt ending.

dbti - this is us. i'm happy to work with j$ again. it's been a while!

duncan - i'm enjoying the story you've set up here. not sure when you fell asleep, but the rest is good.

gray - unfortunately no lyrics posted. this feels a little simplistic in the instrumentation. but it rolls along nicely.

heid - mysterious! the howling bits are actually pretty cool. i admire the originality.

ken - i like the change in pov, with the wanderer not being the narrator, that seems different from most. pretty catchy, good sound.

king - nice to see you again! this lyrical theme is actually not too far from my original idea (j$ took it in a different direction). i like the little synthy line there. good one.

lichen - i dig the guitar/bass sounds. songs that have lyric cadences like this really don't sit well with me. wow lots of literary references.

owl - ooh nice feel. love the mix of instrumentation and how the vocal sits in the mix. awesomely moody. my favorite so far!

paco - you got the lost dog rhyme too, eh? love the backing vox sound. i like how this sounds a little like it's from the 60's.

phlub - love the intro. online competitions haha. this makes me laugh. the tree species section, gotta ask why? just being strange? again in this one the vocal cadence is not my favorite but all the other things about this song make up for it.

prill - unfortunately no lyrics posted. what i can make out is interesting, too bad i can't read along. interesting song, sounds kinda something i'd do.

robyn - love what you did with the vocals on "but i" and "and i". great vocals in general. the higher pitched lead instrument, i think is clashing with the vocals a bit or maybe that's just on my speakers. i want to hear the vocals cut through the mix more than that does. minor beef though. i do love the line about forever - weather - endless sky.

wreckdom - the vocals need to come up, but at least you provided the lyrics. i like these lyrics. and actually i like that you didn't use the (admittedly awkward) title.

i see i'm a little too late for votes, sorry to those i would have voted for:

dbti, duncan, heid, ken, king, owl, paco, phlub, robyn, wreckdom
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

I am genuinely stunned at the win here. Wha? I would have bet on Owl or Robyn, just ahead of several others. Unreal and I dont think I deserve it. Not to be ingrateful, though. Thanks everybody that voted, reviewed, and to all those that submitted songs as well. Cheers! :D
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
owl
Panama
Instruments: vox keys uke guitar
Recording Method: REAPER
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, miscellaneous owl
Pronouns: she/her

Post by owl »

Congrats Paco! I have reviews half written, hopefully I’ll find time to finish and post them soon…
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man

HeuristicsInc wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:09 pm

phlub - love the intro. online competitions haha. this makes me laugh. the tree species section, gotta ask why? just being strange? again in this one the vocal cadence is not my favorite but all the other things about this song make up for it.
I couldn't think of any more lyrics so I just started writing down the names of trees.

Cocteau Twins has at least one song (Pink Orange Red) that is literally just moths so I consider there to be critically acclaimed precedent for random categorical latin names in lieu of proper lyricism.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It

Post by HeuristicsInc »

sleepysilverdoor wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:11 pm
Cocteau Twins has at least one song (Pink Orange Red) that is literally just moths so I consider there to be critically acclaimed precedent for random categorical latin names in lieu of proper lyricism.
Listening now since I can't remember this one. Is that what these words are? Can't go wrong emulating Cocteau Twins anyway.
-bill
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas