audiio.com and other places to try to sell your music

For catcalling the douchebags in their suits and hoodies.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

audiio.com and other places to try to sell your music

Post by Lunkhead »

Anybody heard of this? Anybody have music in here?

https://audiio.com/

It's a subscription services for people who make videos to get access to music to they can use freely. I can't seem to find much info about how artists get compensated.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Re: audiio.com

Post by fluffy »

Hmm, their artist application process looks like it's pretty much a black box. It's hard to tell if they represent a lot of musicians or if it's just the folks running the company or what.

Which reminds me, I need to post more of my stuff on Songtradr. The process is kind of a chore but at least it's open to everyone and you can choose to make proposals to folks seeking music (not that I've been successful in that yet either).
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Re: audiio.com and other places to try to sell your music

Post by Lunkhead »

I made the topic title broader, because I wanted to ask you specifically fluffy and anybody in general if they've looked into putting their music into the Unity3D asset store? I had somebody DM me and suggest I look into that for my instrumental electronic music.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

I haven't put anything on Unity Asset Store, just Bandcamp, itch.io, and Songtradr. Making music to be licensed for games is a really tough proposition though, the market on royalty-free stuff that folks will use without commissioning something specific has been basically cornered by Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com). And for direct commissions, people either contact one of the three or four big names, or go with whatever friend is willing to do something for free/cheap.

Which doesn't mean it isn't worth trying, of course. But after trying to do game soundtrack composing for the last 20+ years I can't help but be a little cynical.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

That is confirming my hunch that it's yet another over-saturated marketplace with a handful of successful people and an ocean of people getting little to no meaningful traction. Oh well. :(
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

I mean, that's kind of the music industry in general.

From what I can tell, the best way to get into videogame composition is to participate in game jams to build up a portfolio and then use that portfolio when applying for composition jobs with studios who are looking. Eventually you might get lucky and then make a soundtrack for a game which becomes well-known for its good soundtrack, and then you become one of the people try to hire.