Marcus Kellis, He's So Dreamy (Man Date Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Marcus Kellis, He's So Dreamy (Man Date Reviews)

Post by Spud »

Alternate thread titles will be considered (seriously).
Last edited by Spud on Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
mkilly
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar

Post by mkilly »

and that's a real mixed blessing.
"It is really true what philosophy tells us, that life must be understood backwards. But with this, one forgets the second proposition, that it must be lived forwards." Søren Kierkegaard
nyjm
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: acoustic guitar, electric guitar, synth, various MIDI instruments
Recording Method: Reaper, Line 6 POD, GLS Audio 57 and 58
Submitting as: noah mclaughlin, Ford's Theater Disaster, Juliet's Happy Dagger

Post by nyjm »

awkward silence featuring dave and jon
- hehe. vegas.
- "governmental mandate" haha! this is really pretty dumb, but it still makes me laugh.
- a lower voice might have been a bit more appropriate for a lounge singer
- perfect length

blake walker
- super mario brothers?
- ...take acid

hope, oath, and suspicion
- thank you. this sounds sooooo much better when i don't sing it
- i like the extra bit of something on the guitar
- and i wish i could do backing vocals like that
- thank you again.

other white noise
- i like the music build-up at the beginning; and overall has a good groove
- needs a bass line
- more vocals, and lyrics that use words "erection" and "pussy" are pretty tough to pull off with any kind of seriousness

penguin map mijinko
- what nursery rhyme is this melody from? think i got some "london bridge" but that's not the only one
- how is this a "man" date?
- quite cute

ross durand
- somebody had to write this song; i'm glad it was you
- bush has a "man date"! mwahahahahaha!
- channeling some arlo guthrie?
- the chorus is kind of goofy and rhythmically challenged, but the verse make up for it
- and into the .mp3 collection it goes

wreckdom
- wow. that's a hell of way to start.
- interesting mixture of pantera and samples
- full minute of silence at the end intentional?
- this is interesting, and a good use of explitives that shocks but doesn't over do it, but the song just kind of plods along
"You sound like the ghost of David Bowie." - SchlimminyCricket | it was a pleasure to burn | my website | Juliet's Happy Dagger
Geoff WreckdoM
Mean Street
Instruments: Theremin
Recording Method: Pabst Blue Ribbon

Yes, it's an art piece

Post by Geoff WreckdoM »

nyjm wrote:- full minute of silence at the end intentional?
Uh, no. That happens to us every once and awhile. Not sure how since I don't do the computer stuff. Hmmm. Sorry.
"perhaps the most offensive and disturbing image I've ever heard in a song" - Hans Gruber
deshead
Panama

Re: Yes, it's an art piece

Post by deshead »

Geoff WreckdoM wrote:Uh, no. That happens to us every once and awhile.
There's probably an event (like the tail of a volume or pan automation) off to the right of where the audio stops , and when exporting the 2-mix, the software sees this event and thinks that must be where the project's supposed to end. Tell whoever's doing the mix (Richard?) to manually select the range for the final 2-mix, rather than letting the software decide. (Or, load the exported mix into an audio editor, and chop off the silence at the end.)
tonetripper
Mean Street
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Guitar, Drums, Sitar, Theremin, Lap Steel, Djembe
Recording Method: Cubase 6, Live 7, Reason 5, UAD 2, MOTU Ultralite, Mackie 1620i onyx
Submitting as: tonetripper, redcar, gert, draft and others

Post by tonetripper »

Awkward Silence feat. Dave and John - I can see you wearing a baby blue tuxedo with a ruffled tuxedo shirt half open with a smoke in one hand and cheap bar scotch in the other. :lol:

Blake Walker - Stop it you're scaring me.......whew I'm glad that's over, that level was hard, but why the recital of the title because it certainly doesn't sell the title, and for that matter in any capacity throughout this piece.

Hope Oath and Suspicion - That bass sound is really ball rattly and combined with the lyric and performance make it all good and could have me voting for the title.

Other White Noise - The digital clipping on the kick drum sucks, the punk ass performances are pretty good, but the clipping is a massive distraction to feeling anything for the song.

Penguin Map Mijinko - I am so voting for this because it is just sooooooo insane, hooky in all the right places, with great lyrics and a great play on words for the title. 8) :lol:

Ross Durand - Lyrics and performance are better than your other submissions in the past, but I think some others got you beat on the front of insane comedy. 8)

Wreckdom - Sounds like the Melvins and Buzz which rules!!!! 8)

Top 3:
1) Penguin Map Mijinko
2) Wreckdom
3) Awkward Silence feat. Dave and John

Funny fight all.
Last edited by tonetripper on Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ross
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Vox, Bass, Tuned glasses, etc...
Recording Method: Logic on a Macbook.
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Confused

Post by Ross »

Tonetripper wrote:
Ross Durand - Lyrics and performance are better than your other submission, but why spend time on two songs that are mediocre when you could spend time on one song and make it better than mediocre. 8)
This is my only submission this week, and I did spend time on it. :roll:
tonetripper
Mean Street
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Guitar, Drums, Sitar, Theremin, Lap Steel, Djembe
Recording Method: Cubase 6, Live 7, Reason 5, UAD 2, MOTU Ultralite, Mackie 1620i onyx
Submitting as: tonetripper, redcar, gert, draft and others

Post by tonetripper »

LoL..... hahahaha.... sorry mate.... I just realized that you either have a brother named Steve who competed in the Toy Puddle fight or that you don't know this long lost relative. Sorry I'll revise my review........ that's funny...... sorry dude..... LOL
Ross
Jump

Re:confusion

Post by Ross »

No sweat. That is my brother and I figured that was the confusion, thanks for the revised review :)
davecorun
A New Player

Post by davecorun »

I'm the greatest lounge singer, evah.
joshw
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Egg Shaker
Recording Method: Focusrite > Reaper
Submitting as: Josh Woodward
Pronouns: he/him

Post by joshw »

Scoring Key: (Production, Performance, Song)

Awkward Silence (6, 6, 4)

Wow, if you'd written the music, this might be good.

Blake Walker ()

It's taking awhile to get to the point here. Hmm.. if :30 is the point, can we g
et away from it? No.

Hope, Oath, and Suspicion (7, 7, 8)

While parts of this get repetitious, it's good overall. You've got a creative so
und going on. Nice verse starting at 2:10. Good lyrics. Little things like "sett
ing sun and a loaded gun" are nice touches. Lots of nice internal rhymes.

Otherwhitenoise ()

An essay entitled: "What we did on our spring vacation (when we weren't passed o
ut)".

Penguinmapmijinko (7, 7, 7)

This is the first cheesy song I've heard today that works. This reminds me of cl
assic Mailbox - is this a related project?

Ross Durand ()

You already got your review this week.

Wreckdom ()

Hmm.. you might want to get more fiber in your diet.

Definitely goes to Hope, Oath and Suspicion. Nice job.
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Re:confusion

Post by jb »

rdurand wrote:No sweat. That is my brother and I figured that was the confusion, thanks for the revised review :)
How many durands are there anyway? *looks around nervously*
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

davecorun wrote:Image

I'm the greatest lounge singer, evah.
let no one accuse you of poofing into the mic.
Hi!
Ross
Jump

Post by Ross »

joshw wrote:
Ross Durand ()

Are you saying you agree with another reviewer or are you also confusing me with Steve Durand, who submitted a song in "Toy Puddle?"
joshw
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Egg Shaker
Recording Method: Focusrite > Reaper
Submitting as: Josh Woodward

Post by joshw »

rdurand wrote:
joshw wrote:
Ross Durand ()

Are you saying you agree with another reviewer or are you also confusing me with Steve Durand, who submitted a song in "Toy Puddle?"
Whoops, I'm sorry - I'm a dumbass. :) Here you go:

Ross Durand (7, 7, 7)

Very clever "mandate" pun. Any poke at GWB gets extra points, and this one's smart. The music's obviously been done a million times before, but that's part of the schtick. Nothing that I'd listen to all the time, but it's a really fun one-off joke tune.
Ross
Jump

Post by Ross »

Thanks for the review, Josh. It's good to have your feedback.

Ross
Geoff WreckdoM
Mean Street
Instruments: Theremin
Recording Method: Pabst Blue Ribbon

Post by Geoff WreckdoM »

I listened to each song at least twice and wrote as I listened, and I've been drinking.

Awkward Silence feat. Dave and Jon-So, one of you sings and the other plays the music you’re listening to? I’m not sure if I should be impressed or repulsed by the rather thorough onslaught of lounge singer clichés. Your voice has potential as does your sense of humor, but this ain’t it.

Blake Walker-Cute and charming. Inoffensively fun and funny. I’ve felt before that the whole Nintendo song stuff is getting old, but I like this. Now, I’m pretty liberal as far as relevance to the title goes, but this is a stretch even for me. If there is indeed a connection with the music and the title I’d appreciate you posting about it.

Hope, Oath, and Suspicion- Opening seems big, could have gone anywhere, and the guitar promises of early beck but the voice is a let down. I like the distorted vox and the lead guitar and solos, this could fly on college radio. I understand it’s well done despite my genre bias. Could have stood to be more exciting.

The Other White Noise- Sweet band name. Some low fi I like, you’re close, but the placement of your mic in the room is all wrong, drums are killing it. Generic guitar riff. Stupid lyrics. Parts I like, the page flipping for example, but mostly, this is uninteresting.

Penguin Map Mijinko-This is beautiful. Hilarious, clever, sharp, talented. Is this silly Pompeii? Insanely brilliant, I can’t believe it. I love this. You know, that sherry trick, the missus really likes that. Fucking ingenious, I can’t describe it, you rule.

Ross Durand-Normally I would have a genre bias to this sort of thing but you have hit a soft spot complaining about the religious right and our crazy fuckin’ NOT TEXAN president. Charming, very charming, I’m smiling the whole time. The lyrics are smart and funny and this would have been my choice had it not been for the penguins. Well done.

WreckdoM-We set the bar low folks. I like it anyway. Especially the cymbal crashes. Sorry about that minute+ of silence.

Although there are indeed worthy competitors, the victor is clear...PENGUIN MAP MIJINKO!!!
"perhaps the most offensive and disturbing image I've ever heard in a song" - Hans Gruber
EightLeggedOedipus
Push Comes to Shove

Post by EightLeggedOedipus »

Awkward Silence feat. Dave and Jon
+++ Clever +++
--- Your mic and placement are shitty ---
/// Very kitschy, but short enough not to grate ///

Blake Walker
+++ Fun little casio loops +++
--- Droning eerie noises ---

Hope, Oath, and Suspicion
+++ I had fun doing this. Noah's basic drum beat is awesome with the clap, double-clap. I'm also very partial to the chords. +++
--- I think I could have interpreted the melody a little better, and cut the noise from the overdrive vocal takes. I also think the lead guitar could be a little more on spot. ---
/// If I have time, I'd like to do a more "clubby" mix of this. ///

The Other White Noise
+++ Acually a decent song +++
--- Production score: 2 ---
/// Insert-your-own-limp-bizkit-insult-here ///

Penguin Map Mijinko
+++ OMG this is awesome! Silly brit-rap goes clever +++
--- This part at 1:00 is a good concept, but the execution is poor. I think the timing of the vocal lines could be a little tighter, as those buzzy noises are very stacatto. Also, the rolling tom drum line is cool, but it needs a big kick and snare in there to accent the noise/vocal part. ---
/// Altogether, I think the idea was compete at a minute. I'd keep this one especially short. ///

Ross Durand
+++ A decent folk song, with a nice solo int he middle and clever lyrics. It's kind of a clever fight all around - where's CCS these days? +++
/// "Massachu" interesting diction ///
--- The alternative lifestyles lien seemd a little squeezed for syllables. ---

WreckdoM
+++ "The donut caresses the hot dog." Awesome cutoff at 0:50 +++
/// Someone said Pantera. I hear Melvins. ///
--- I would expect this to have some kind o feedback noise hyperspeed static-bomb that hits at least twice to serve as a chorus. Plods ---
<a href="http://www.mbeanis.com/0.html">Understand</a> my reviews. Voted best auto-wrecking record of 2005! "<a href="http://www.thedrinks.net/"><b>The Drinks</a></b>' - Grr!" available now.
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

<b>Blake Walker </b>- Deceptively simple and sweet intro dissolves into grotesque industrial advertainment spot. Title phrase tacked on as extra bonus for no charge. 3

<b>Dave and Jon </b>– is this your own background music? This could go far. Cute 7

<b>Hope, Oath and Suspicion </b>–The fragmented components don’t swing until that radio vocal comes in. And maybe it’s the drum programming that’s too assertive for its own good. 6

<b>Penguinmapmijinko </b>– Cute rump through cliché and well done at that. 6

<b>Ross Durand </b>- One of the best protest songs I’ve heard in a while. Brilliant phrasing and pace, and fully embracing the traditional style. Woody might have been proud. Very clever. 8 & the vote

<i>Not sure who the artist is or even what song this is, so in the event this belongs here (please use ID3 tags, people. they're nice):</i>

<b>b. Ellison </b>- I like the lowered 7th in the bass (or something), but something’s out of sync at that point so it sounds wrong. Tuning among the instruments is haphazard and dangerously close to distraction. But it does add a field-jam quality to the climaxes. 7
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
Ross
Jump

Man Date Reviews

Post by Ross »

Penguin Map Mijinko – It gets my attention quickly. I like the repetitive rhyme in the Mom’s part and wish you had found a way to continue it through the dad’s part, too. You lose me a little at the “hello, there” part. I like the ending. This is pretty amusing, but wears just a little thin and feels like it’s missing a “destination” a little.

Blake Walker
– Sounds like some sort of Nintendo game. I’m trying to imagine the game with this name and this soundtrack. Ok, then there’s a scary part – are there words in there somewhere, I can’t make them out if there is. Minus the ending this might have been a good entry for “Digital Chimera,” or else I’m totally missing this.

Awkward Silence feat. Dave and Jon
– I guess I would have liked something like this better if you had also written the backing music (which I have the sneaking suspicion you didn’t, pleasecorrect me if I'm wrong). Pretty effective for what it is, but I feel it is a little thin, kinda single-note joke (not a single-note song, I realize).

The Other White Noise – Pretty low brow, but it seems like that’s the point. I guess I think the pun with Mandate/Man Date and “pussy election” is a somewhat interesting take, but it doesn’t really pan out for me. I also wasn’t really feeling a strong connection between the music and the lyrics.

WreckdoM – This reminds me of a Bill Maher bit the week a gay fraternity was founded and he said, “Fraternities are for fucking assholes, not for fucking assholes.” As far as being just a string of euphemisms for the hook line I think it’s put together pretty well and turned out pretty successfully, but not really my thing.

Hope, Oath, and Suspicion – Pretty tuneful, good feel. I like the structure of the two verses with the chorus. I’m trying to figure out if I get it or not. And since I’m not sure if I do, it makes it sort of hard for me to assess its success. I do think the combination of the music with the words is sort of an interesting piece of character development.

Ross Durand (me) - I guess I don’t want to comment, so that people can give me reviews not tainted by my own point of view.
MintyHandy
Mean Street
Instruments: None
Recording Method: None

Post by MintyHandy »

Full reviews to come when I have time (just finished my submission for next week), but I can already say that Ross, yours is going in the mp3 collection, and both my wife and I really enjoyed it. I had told you via PM that the idea was obvious but the execution would define it, and you really delivered in every possible way: nailed the genre, nailed the lyrics, played very well, sung very well, recorded very well, and a good length, too.

So there, you already got your review. ;)
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

Niv's Review Paragraph

Second review of the day- Man Date. First up Ackward Silence ft. the Corums. Um. Yeah. Ok. If you're gonna do the fake lounge bit at least make it funny. Ross Durand is up next and seems to be bringing the Schoolhouse Rock. It's a bit long but it's a good play on the theme. Bush ever hears this one and you're gonna end up locked up under the Patriot act. Next, Other White Noise reminds me of Anthrax. ugh, snowball. I'm 50/50 on that one. I like the music but the lyrics are mostly fluff. Next h,o,s. Familiar voices. Must be a collaboration. La di da. It's cute. I can seeing it playing in the car as someone drives around on the OC. It's a contender despite the fact that it doesn't have much punch. Pardon! You've got your what, Penguin Map Mijinko? Odd start to a tune. Odd tune. It's the poor man's Pompeii. Not as funny as them but a nice try. Next Wreckdom. A shopping list of subliminal sexual imagery sung by Lemmy with some odd tourette's moments. And a minute of silence just for fun. Yuck. Next. Blake Walker is the last and seems to have brought a minute of utter lunacy. In the words of Daffy Duck-"So shoot me now". Vote time. My vote goes to the HOS. #2 to Durand and a distant #3 to the Other White Noise.