New Video Camera

Ask questions and get answers about how to make music in any particular way. Hardware or songwriting or whatever.
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff
Pronouns: he/him

New Video Camera

Post by ken »

Hi All,
I'm starting to think about making videos for the upcoming Songfight Live Online and looking into new video cameras. It seems like every year I'm bouncing between cameras, cell phones, and whatever I've amassed over the years to find an easy way to film myself. I've done a bit of research and it seems like the options are either cheap "camcorders" or very expensive video/cameras. I know in this day and age I should just use my cellphone, but since I'm mostly filming myself, I'd like to see what the camera sees when I'm in front of it. I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars, but am willing to spend a few to get a new tool to help me capture good video easily. The Zoom Q8 and Q2 seem to be the affordable options for musicians, but I'm not sure I need the audio recording capabilities. Does anyone have suggestions? I'm spending waaay too much time scrolling through Amazon looking for something that seems like it will do the job, be easy to use, and have at least a bit of longevity.
Thanks.
Ken
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop
Submitting as: Cock, Chth*.*, D.A.H. (Der Alter Hahn)
Pronouns: His Infernal Majesty

Re: New Video Camera

Post by ujnhunter »

I've been using a Zoom Q2n-4K ($199) which has a mini-HDMI out that I monitor through a TV.
-Ujn Hunter
Photovoltaik - Free 6 Track EP - Song Fight! Liner Notes
Billy's Little Trip wrote:I must have this....in my mouth.....now.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

I use a cheap ($180ish?) Panasonic camcorder in combination with my cellphone. I get better video quality from the cellphone, but the camcorder has better zoom.
Sober
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Mandolin, hammond, dobro, banjo
Recording Method: Pro Tools

Post by Sober »

Budget? That’s the biggest factor.

I’m probably the most overkill here, in that I use a Canon 5D III with a 16-35 2.8L as my “webcam.” A used dslr that’s just modern enough to be able to live monitor in that way (my 5D II can’t, for example) is a good way to go.

Something in canon’s rebel or double digit line would be a great choice, and those have the benefit of a flip out screen, so it’s easier to do solo self-shooting without a monitor. A rebel t6i or a 70d or newer (confirm it has the live webcam functionality) would be awesome.

Then you’d be looking for a lens or two. The 50mm f1.8 is dirt cheap, and the best selling lens in history for a reason. Gotta have one. Then you’ll want a super wide. The tokina 11-16 was the hotness a decade ago when I had that format of camera, but there may be something else out there now.

Used camera bodies and lenses are great. The only thing you should buy new is media. I think that, if you’re patient, you should be able to get a sexy setup for under $500. And it’ll be something you can take on vacation with you and get some amazing photos. I love talking hear, so I’d be happy to jump in discord voice 👍
🤠
ken
Hot for Teacher

Post by ken »

Thanks for the advice all. I'm starting to feel the pull towards a Zoom Q8, Q8-N, or Q2N. I've considered the Rebel, but I start to worry about having to learn too many features that I just won't have the patience for.

Have I mentioned how much I miss my Flip Video?
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

I'm appreciating the thread as well. It's likely I'll be investing in some sort of set up as I do not like my current (lack of) workflow.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
crumpart
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Fuzz
Submitting as: Hot Pink Halo
Pronouns: She/her

Post by crumpart »

Sober wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:34 am
Budget? That’s the biggest factor.

I’m probably the most overkill here, in that I use a Canon 5D III with a 16-35 2.8L as my “webcam.” A used dslr that’s just modern enough to be able to live monitor in that way (my 5D II can’t, for example) is a good way to go.

Something in canon’s rebel or double digit line would be a great choice, and those have the benefit of a flip out screen, so it’s easier to do solo self-shooting without a monitor. A rebel t6i or a 70d or newer (confirm it has the live webcam functionality) would be awesome.

Then you’d be looking for a lens or two. The 50mm f1.8 is dirt cheap, and the best selling lens in history for a reason. Gotta have one. Then you’ll want a super wide. The tokina 11-16 was the hotness a decade ago when I had that format of camera, but there may be something else out there now.

Used camera bodies and lenses are great. The only thing you should buy new is media. I think that, if you’re patient, you should be able to get a sexy setup for under $500. And it’ll be something you can take on vacation with you and get some amazing photos. I love talking hear, so I’d be happy to jump in discord voice 👍
I've been using a Canon 80D to shoot almost all my video for the past five years. I use a 50mm prime to photograph artwork, but the lens I use most for video is a little flat pancake 24mm lens. It's great. My current lighting situation is incredibly poor, but even pushing the camera much harder than I should, then colour correcting in Premiere, I get passable (IMO) results.
Devil’s got me Lindt! Devil’s got me Lindt!
ken
Hot for Teacher

Post by ken »

I bought a used Zoom Q8 and have been happy with it so far.

I don't know anything about color correction. Maybe that could be another thread?

fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

sometimes I remember to push the "make better" button in Final Cut
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop
Submitting as: Cock, Chth*.*, D.A.H. (Der Alter Hahn)
Pronouns: His Infernal Majesty

Post by ujnhunter »

ken wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:59 pm
Have I mentioned how much I miss my Flip Video?
I have an old Flip Video that I was trying to "backup" but the thing won't charge... and I can't get the USB to recognize it. :(
-Ujn Hunter
Photovoltaik - Free 6 Track EP - Song Fight! Liner Notes
Billy's Little Trip wrote:I must have this....in my mouth.....now.
Sober
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Mandolin, hammond, dobro, banjo
Recording Method: Pro Tools

Post by Sober »

crumpart wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:41 am
I've been using a Canon 80D to shoot almost all my video for the past five years. I use a 50mm prime to photograph artwork, but the lens I use most for video is a little flat pancake 24mm lens. It's great. My current lighting situation is incredibly poor, but even pushing the camera much harder than I should, then colour correcting in Premiere, I get passable (IMO) results.
This is a terrific setup. At this point, light is indeed the best investment you can make. LED panels are getting cheaper by the year. Don't buy into the ring light hype.

For fun, you could look at a super-wide. Rokinon and others make a 12mm f2.8 and a fisheye 8mm f2.8 for super cheap.

Again on the subject of used camera bodies: Today I'm picking up a beat-up 5D MkIII for $200 😮
🤠