I'm sorry I do it while I'm working (The Whistler reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott
Pronouns: he/him

I'm sorry I do it while I'm working (The Whistler reviews)

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

but it helps pass the time.
Last edited by Lunkhead on Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: unstick
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Re: I'm sorry I do it while I'm working (The Whistler reviews)

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

A favor, if you would. Please place your lyric in the appropriate thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12354

Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Songs posted!
Aciniform Artifice
A New Player
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Aciniform Artifice »

Hi, I'm new here. I listened to all your songs and voted for the ones I liked the most. [EDIT: voted entries are marked below]...

Here are some random thoughts I had while listening. (Apologies in advance if any of these random thoughts strike you as 'tenuous.')

Berkeley Social Scene: I don’t know what I was listening to before this, but this feels very loud. That isn’t necessarily a bad thing. Liked the envelopey synth sound, loved the lead guitar near the end.

Elephant £inger: Musically, this is absurd. That isn’t necessarily a bad thing. Lyrically, even more so – I think this has broken my brain (meant as complimentary). [VOTE]

The Mellfire Trifecta: Hope the drummer gets well soon! (Assuming they have been quarantined away from the rest of the band whilst recording?) Comparatively, the guitar seems a bit TOO present, while the vocals are in more of a Goldilocks spot. Cute arrangement overall.

Paco del Stinko: “A gorgeous tune,” to be sure. But lyrically, your punchline happens within the first ten seconds and it never really goes anywhere else from there. Oh wait, I get it… “del Stinko.”

The Pannacotta Army: I finally died / Which started the whole world living / My first thought upon seeing this title was also of “a Whistler” as a work of art, as you’ve used it here; and if I had any recording capacity I probably would have taken it in an instrumental direction (but subtitled “an arrangement in grey and black”). But that’s neither here nor there. I like what you’ve done here. / Oh, if I'd only seen / That the joke was on me. [VOTE]

Pigfarmer Jr: Nicely-done twelve bar; nice guitar tone; and contrary to the opinion expressed in the song itself, nice whistling too. Should deduct points for lying, but honestly I’m glad you chose not to expose the listeners to the actual worst damn whistler.

Prill Phuner: Never would have guessed there’d be multiple entries relating to flatulence this week. This one may match the silly tone of lyrics a little more closely, musically speaking. Although to be perfectly honest, there are extremely few things in this world I hate more than that sound of hard-limit-discrete-step-pitch Auto-Tune, which more than cancels out any positive aspects that might have been found here otherwise. #sorrynotsorry

WreckdoM:
Image [VOTE]

ALT TEXT: Dean Craig Pelton from NBC’s Community says, “I’m really digging this hard house!” at a rave at Greendale Community College, during the end credits of season 3 episode 21 (“The First Chang Dynasty”).

Yaks of the Industry: This song has the best actual whistling of any of these songs. I’m digging the (if I may say so without causing offense) nerdy white guy 80s electronic adaptation of TSOP-style disco/funk. It comes across in a very Information Society kind of way (meant as complimentary). [VOTE]

Thanks.
Last edited by Aciniform Artifice on Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

A dirth of reviews here. I'll be free to write on Friday, if'n you're interested.
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
MellyP
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: guitar, keyboards
Recording Method: Spire, Reaper
Submitting as: mellfire, hoodmo, The Mellfire Trifecta

Post by MellyP »

My reviews aren't technical. I truly vote for what I consider to be the best song, rather than best produced, best lyrics or best singing, for example. I take it all into account. I appreciate how much work you have put into making these songs. Oh also, I don't pretend to be an expert -- Cheers -- MellyP

The Pannacotta Army -- I liked when I got hit with unexpected chord changes in this one. It's sparse in a way, but not in a bad way. I'm not certain what you're writing about really but I didn't mind the uncertainty. I did want a few more drum fills but that's me being very picky. The production and instrument choices are first class.

Paco Del Stinko -- Well I sure knew what this was about. The reveal comes early. I really love the guitar playing in this one, including your quick solo near the end. Wow, this guy does it under the moon too -- special moody whistling! An oddly beautiful song about flatulence. I'd never uttered, or written, those words before this day.

WreckdoM -- You filled this up with a great and mighty bag o' beats. Excellent mixing! Of course I listened hoping for a story that wasn't only a musical one, but I know you weren't travelling my exact route this time. Good job.

Pigfarmer Jr. -- Decent whistling and super sweet playing. How many takes did you use to get this down? And did you do overdubs at all? Sounds like you have a live feel and that you might have wanted to get it in a single take. Well done.

Berkeley Social Scene -- It really moves from section to section in a natural way. I wonder if you considered a more raw, emotional sound for the vocal? It's somewhat smooth/muted for a song that's high energy. But it's damn good singing. Unusual guitar solo -- slippery slide!! Enjoyed this, and especially the keyboard playing throughout.

Yaks of the Industry -- This really gets going when the cool robot-y (not robotic) sounding vocal kicks in. Might need something sustaining for the intro (if you are still into making small changes after submitting). This offers not one but two sections with great chord progressions -- and you got the optional challenge done.

Elephant Finger -- Starts with a tentative whistle before the silliness begins. It's not really the type of music I gravitate toward, but that's on me. The Devo-type hyper-speed delivery is fun. The vocalist is a little behind the music at times. I definitely approve of your use of brass here! The bass line is very nice.

Prill Phuner -- Poppy to be sure. I do like the descending whistling in this tune. The vocal effect you are using is a bit distracting but I think you intended to make it sound obviously auto-tuned right? I think it might need a section with a new set of chords to change things up. This is upbeat - and I do like upbeat songs! For me they are harder to write than sad ones.

the mellfire trifecta -- An attempt to change things up a bit and write something different and louder than my normal stuff. I did lyrics first, which is not typical for me.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Reviews done very quickly, so sorry if it's not much.

Berkeley Social Scene: That's an aggressive bass, ain't it? I like this vocal performance more than some other recent entries but it sounds a bit muddy to my ears... not terrible, mind you. I like that synth bit a lot. Slide lead? Cool. Likeable song with lots of energy.

Elephant Finger: Despite the nursery rhyme rhythm in the verse melody, this has a bit of a "grew on me" whimsy to it.

The Mellfire Trifecta: I'm addicted to overly distorted guitars which makes these sound a bit thin, but honestly, they fit the song well and I shouldn't have even brought it up. I like the melody. Did it take over a minute to get to the chorus? I didn't mind even a little bit. Must be a sign of a good pace. Did I mention I like the melody?

Paco del Stinko: I like the guitar work and the drums a lot. This vocal delivery is a good one, it fits the song very well. Another song that I enjoy.

The Pannacotta Army: I really like the phrasing in the melody. Oh, and the melody over those luscious chord changes. Nice organ.. well, whole arrangement. I think this is the perfect example of simple parts adding up to more than the sum of their parts.

Pigfarmer Jr: OYes, one take G&G&whistling. I was just playing around with the guitar and by the time I decided to hit record and submit, I was just about whistled out.

Prill Phuner: That first drum part feels kind of like the footloose soundtrack. Probably because of the sound of the snare. The vocal effect was interesting at first but then... you know, less so after a while. This sounds like you had fun putting it together.

WreckdoM: Cool rhythm. I liked the bells. Actually, I like a lot of the arrangement. Did I miss vocals? (I'm actually hearing a voice in there if not a lyric.) And did I miss the whistling? I mean this title would have been the easiest to do an instrumental and not be accused of "failing to write a song to the title."

Yaks of the Industry: Oh, cool intro. And the whistling fits so damn well with the synth bass and the whole arrangement. Better than I would have thought. I like the vocal layering. And that is some good whistling.

Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

Lot of talent and strong songs this round. Enjoyed everything, even if some may not go into eternal rotation.

Berkeley Social Scene - New-wavey foundation works great. Vocals get a bit lost both sonically and melodically, verses strongest. Vocode voice helps, cuts through in a good spot. Tasty lead phrased nicely. Missing a clobbering chorus, but great drive fun.

Elephant Finger - Nintendo nightclub with a head dented whistle. The sour elements are good in lesser doses but add looseness to offset the pulsing rhythm. Wobbly, shorter might have been nice or maybe aired out a bit more. Like it for a quick jaunt.

The Mellfire Trifecta - Classic style pop and rock elements just right. The melodic vocals are tasty and well balanced, maybe missing a star turn at the lead. More guy up front. But love what the vocals do and how well arranged as well, good lyrical theme. Great playing, the crispy crunch guitar hook doesn't overstay its presence. Top tier contender!

Paco del Stinko - Very Paco tune with a King Arthur (to me) guitar line after the choruses. Was hoping for more goof than gross story wise.

The Pannacotta Army - Nice open skies feel without getting too heady, lovely living room light vocal over totally delicious progressions. Economical isn't the right term, nor is sparse, for the instrumentation and production. Whistle fits that bill as well, easy going without being lazy. Top tier, another winner. Thanks for sharing!

Pigfarmer Jr - Great approach, seems like it would be a no brainer, but it ain't. Loose, organic, un-refined one-timer feel is what keeps this alive, lyrics got right. Most stumbles turn to saves. Front porch and back pocket!

Prill Phuner - Very similar theme we share this week. The whistle loop works wonders, love it. The vocal processing is effective here but insert pros and con comments next. Digging the arrangement, and simple layers, danceable. Nice when the vocal starts singing higher, it was needed. Very much enjoyed this, could hear it as a rocker too, but better this.

WreckdoM - Great near heady drive too start, this grabs you right away. Love the layering, colors and touch. Super arrangement and tonal approach, very effective to trance and dance or whatever stuff like that is called. Keeper and contender. Keep it up!

Yaks of the Industry - John Hughes directing a Spaghetti Western. Great bubble arp at the turn there, gently grabs. This moves along easy, no pressure. Vocals provide a lot of heady space, nicely done. Something maybe missing from that bridge section but does allow a bit of air. Shiniest apple on the whistle tree appeals to the worm in all of us. Top shelfer!
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

The Yaks win!
Aciniform Artifice
A New Player
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Aciniform Artifice »

Congratulations!

(Votes have been revealed in edited post above. So far I have been batting 1.000 voting for an eventual winning entry.)
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Congratz, Yaks.