Fixing typos in the archive data

Let us know when something isn't working correctly, or if you find a typo. Do not post complaints or suggestions here.
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Fixing typos in the archive data

Post by jb »

It’s called character, you guys
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Pigfarmer Jr wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:38 pm
fluffy wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:15 pm
Pigfarmer Jr wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:47 am
When?
The actual "fight" got posted between the two fights that surrounded it.

The question has popped up a few times over the years. I don't have encyclopedic memory of that and it's hard to search on.
Yeah, I should have asked why those particular dates were used but then I stopped caring when it was obvious that you thought I was just being an asshole.

@lunkhead, after I posted earlier I did a search and saw the jukebox thread which really was interesting to read but... yeah.

I have a spreadsheet with all the fights and some information on artwork I've submitted etc., It just sucks to sort it out and have that fight stand out like a sore thumb but honestly, at this point, it doesn't matter. I probably should just delete it.
I did not think you were being an asshole, I was keysmashing because oh god this is such a hard thing to explain and it’s come up a few times and I still don’t have a good explanation

But basically songfight is a fun site and sometimes goofy things happen on it because people like to have fun with the fun, and not everything can fit into a normalized database scheme.

The whole premise of It’s Charging was that there was a “lost” fight from 1987 (which is of course absurd, as the Internet as we know it didn’t exist back then, much less Song Fight!, nor did mp3s or any number of other things that were vital to the premise) and there were a bunch of songs from “different” “bands” in various styles reminiscent of the late 80s, all done by drewtoothpaste. (Incidentally, this fight is specifically what led most people at the time to realize who the true identity of KOMPRESSOR was, which drew fought against for years.)

Anyway. As far as I know there’s no significance to the specific dates used on It’s Charging. It was just some goofy fun which has forever made normalizing the Song Fight! song archive impossible, and also paved the way for other bouts of silliness over the years. It’s part of what makes Song Fight! so great.
jast
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, guitar
Recording Method: Cubase, Steinberg UR44
Submitting as: Jan Krueger
Pronouns: .

Post by jast »

fluffy wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:34 am
and I still don’t have a good explanation
I don't know, that seemed like a fairly good explanation to me.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

The whole premise of It’s Charging was that there was a “lost” fight from 1987 (which is of course absurd, as the Internet as we know it didn’t exist back then, much less Song Fight!, nor did mp3s or any number of other things that were vital to the premise) and there were a bunch of songs from “different” “bands” in various styles reminiscent of the late 80s, all done by drewtoothpaste. (Incidentally, this fight is specifically what led most people at the time to realize who the true identity of KOMPRESSOR was, which drew fought against for years.)

This needs to be pinned somewhere so I don't keep asking about that fight every 3-4 years. Thanks for that, it's exactly what I needed.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

Not sure if we talked about this before but I'm confused about the two bands below:
Dollar Bill & the Inkpoints (10)
Dollar Bill & the Inkpoints (7)
As far as I can tell the names are identical but they are on two pages. Really there is just one band.
Actually there aren't even two pages, just two links in the index. They both go to the same page.
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Technically one is "Dollar Bill & the Inkpoints" and the other is "Dollar Bill & the Inkpoints". In some places the site's code treats those as the same thing and in some places it doesn't. Please see fluffy's earlier comment:
But basically songfight is a fun site and sometimes goofy things happen on it because people like to have fun with the fun, and not everything can fit into a normalized database scheme.
Looks like something in the site's code may have changed between your entry for "Favourite Lego Bricks (Look At The Beach)" and "Cut It Out" and your name was treated as "&" starting with "Cut It Out", but that change was not applied retroactively to your earlier entries.

https://www.sfjukebox.org/fights/favourite_lego_bricks

Unfortunately fixing stuff like that is tedious and error prone and mistakes can break the site. Also I don't have a good way to fix things like that in the original Song Fight data and have that automatically get updated and fixed in the Jukebox data, I have to go fix it in both places.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

HTML entities are a pain in the butt. Personally I think it'd be better if the archive data had it as normalized UTF-8 and if it were entified at the presentation layer, if we're going to go for one over the other.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

i agree... yah if it's too hard or dangerous don't worry about it.
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas