I hated it. 5 stars! (Mixed Messages reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

I hated it. 5 stars! (Mixed Messages reviews)

Post by Lunkhead »

Post your reviews here!
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Re: I hated it. 5 stars! (Mixed Messages reviews)

Post by Lunkhead »

Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Songs posted!
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Mixed Messages reviews

Post by Lunkhead »

The Freezing Hands:

I like the sort of New Wave vibe with the chorused guitars and the effects on the vocals. It'd be cool to hear some/more of the sounds run through some reverb, maybe something big and spacey. I think there are pretty significant pitch issues with the vocals, not sure if it's just that there is doubling which isn't tight enough or what. It's a little speak-singing-y for me, I think the melodies could be stronger. Also it'd be great if you were to post your lyrics in the lyrics thread, I think I understood them for the most part and liked them.

Johnny Cashpoint:

I suspect you probably did exactly what you wanted to do here. I'll just say I'd really love to hear you use more syncopation and rhythmic variation in your vocal melody. Otherwise, classic j$ stuff here.

Lunkhead:

It me! I felt like it'd been too long since I made a solo Song Fight entry so this is me just getting a song done. This started with me wanting to use my Warm Audio Foxy Tone Box fuzz pedal. I think it's not terrible, even if it is generic fuzzed-out blues rock with so-so lyrics.

Pigfarmer Jr:

This one's a rocker! I think I like the verses a little more than the choruses, nice harmony and melody there. There's some phrasing weirdness in "Don't worry it's not what you're thinking". Also some pitch issues I think at the ends of the lines in the choruses. Otherwise I liked this one, it's got my vote.

The Rogue Fedoras:

Lyrically I'm into this. I'm honestly struggling a bit with the music and singing though. I'm having a hard time anchoring my brain in there musically. Like the vocal melody isn't super duper clear and how it relates to the backing music also feels a little muddy to me. Maybe some simpler backing tracks, like, sustained chords, and simpler melody, like sticking to the notes in the chords, would provide a more concrete foundation for your future songs.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Mixed Messages reviews

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

The Freezing Hands: I'm getting an 80's vibe that isn't wholly unlikeable. Takes me back to 80's night at Shattered on Cherry Street back in like 1993. Damn I'm old. The mix seems muddy to me but I think it's mainly the vocal and I think I'm overstating it a bit. My ears are tired, I'm sure.

Johnny Cashpoint: The vocal is clear and while up in the mix a bit it works pretty well. I feel that the the tempo could be increased a bit to make this work better for my own personal taste, I think it would help with support the arrangement, bring all the bits together a bit better. That being said, I like this song better than some of your other, more muddy, entries from this year.

Lunkhead: Oh, this is cool. I love the throwback feel and how well it works with a more modern aesthetic. I'm liking this a lot. I feel like this would work in a new Austin Powers movie to perfection.

Pigfarmer Jr: Basically a skirmish that I actually like after listening back.

The Rogue Fedoras: You've a range of levels for the various vocals/vocal lines and it's a little disconcerting. I think the loudest of the vocals doesn't sit well in the mix. The music doesn't really draw me in, either. As a result, I'm having a hard time really getting into the song. I'm guessing there's some genre bias that I'm not able to overcome as well, so take all that very lightly.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
thefreezinghands
A New Player
Submitting as: The Freezing Hands

Post by thefreezinghands »

To address the vocal stuff in the reviews, I am using a doubling pedal, and it’s honestly laziness with not wanting to do two takes on the verses. I hear it too though, and I think I just end up becoming bored with a track. I do enjoy just submitting and try to take into account all feedback. Love the reviews and to all who are brave enough to do them. I have found that the reverb on the pedal is garbage and anytime I feel my vocals suck (which is always lol) I just space them out in post.
rone rivendale
Odie
Instruments: Electronica, nothing real
Recording Method: Fruity Loops, Goldwave
Submitting as: Rone Rivendale

Post by rone rivendale »

I think both reviews of The Rogue Fedoras can be summed up with one thing, we followed the optional challenge.

Next one will be better, thank you.

I would have done reviews as normal but last time someone got supremely butthurt and I'd rather avoid the drama.
From spoken word to actual singing, I can screw up any style with style. :D
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Somebody named ... "Lunkhead" won...? What a silly name!
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Congratz. Well deserved.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang