I'm too lazy to be crazy in the (Hazy Holidays reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
thirdcatmusic
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Submitting as: Third Cat
Pronouns: they/them

Re: I'm too lazy to be crazy in the (Hazy Holidays reviews)

Post by thirdcatmusic »

got sick and couldn't finish mine (planning on finishing it eventually) but here are some reviews anyway. listed in order of my preference:

seemanski - Strong performance. Clean clear mix. Really nice vocals. Definitely tugs on the ol' heart strings, really lovely song. VOTE.

And The Lamb - I really like the acoustic guitar on this one, nicely played and recorded. Gives me Christmasy vibes but not in an obnoxious kind of way. I'm not putting it as my #1 but I can imagine this actually being the one I'd come back to and listen to the most out of all of these songs. It's just a really nice unassuming recording that's really pleasant to listen to. VOTE.

Duncan Martin - I dig this. It has a real classic vibe to it. Laid back charming song. It feels like you achieved what you were going for with it. VOTE.

heine - I like the backing vocals more than the lead vocal. Those backing vocals are great. The lead vocals are just OK. The song itself is pretty good and the mix, production, recording is good. I think this might be a grower and I'm only listening to these songs once each for my reviews. I can imagine it climbing with multiple listens because there seems to be some depth to the song. Some cool catchy musical phrases. Nice strings. VOTE.

Johnny Cashpoint & Andy Balham - I love the "ahh" backing vocals, really cool retro psychedelic vibe on those, but not much else about this one. Reasonably high on my rankings just because I kind of dig the overall vibe and I liked those backing vocals that much.

Berkeley Social Scene - There's some stuff I like about this one like the backing vocals on the second verse and I think the guitar solo is nice (although the vocal going during the solo is distracting imo) but overall this isn't among my favorites. I find it a bit plodding without a strong tune, guitars are abrasive in a way I don't like (personal preference thing mostly, or just not in the right mood.)

Pigfarmer Jr - I am not a fan of pop punk type stuff so this is hitting against some strong genre bias for me. I think it's reasonably well done though. Not bad. The mix is pretty good. Not outstaying the welcome is a good thing. Short & sweet!

Jim of Seattle - This is impressive as an arrangement, recording, and performance but I don't like listening to it. Since it sounds like it's a medley of famous Christmas songs it doesn't seem to me to really fit the idea of writing original songs for songfight.
thirdcatmusic
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Submitting as: Third Cat
Pronouns: they/them

Post by thirdcatmusic »

Duncan wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:05 pm
Well, and I mean this sincerely, the only thing I like more than some [decently-conceived] half rhymes is a hater going on a rant. I hear this is what the SF forums used to be like. More please.

I recoil more at certain vocal affectations, but we all have our peeves.
ha, I am just reading through these reviews now and find them amusing. I'm firmly on the side of pro-half rhymes!
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

Why not get rid of rhymes altogether and really go to town? And while we're at it, who needs chords and melodies and stuff? All hail Dionysus!
Here's my record label page thingie with stuff about me if you are so interested: https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/
Duncan
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Sax, Clarinet, Harmonica, Voice
Recording Method: Reaper
Submitting as: Duncan Martin
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Duncan »

Well I reckon John Hartford is one of the best lyricists ever and his songs almost always have a few half rhymes thrown in. I want to swim in that soup.

It can be done poorly and it can be done well. I won't rant about vocal affectation now because that would be more fun to do in relation to a SF entry. But it's worst when it hits the trifecta of
1) Vapid/clichéd americana lyrics with no angle to them
2) Growl or indie voice or (worst) combo of the 2
3) Broad civilian appreciation of (1) and (2) based on simply stanning the artist
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Happy post holidays to seemanski, you won!
Duncan
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Sax, Clarinet, Harmonica, Voice
Recording Method: Reaper
Submitting as: Duncan Martin

Post by Duncan »

Nice job Seemanski, great song
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Agreed. Seemanski had a good one there. Congratz!
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang