BoffoYux
Panama
Instruments: Keys, Clunking, SFX and Strings
Recording Method: Audacity, Adobe, and other 'A' titled software
Submitting as: Boffo Yux Dudes

SpinTunes 22 Round 1 Challenge - 'Weather Report'

Post by BoffoYux »

ST22 Round 1 Challenge
Here we are, folks, Round 1 of SpinTunes 22 is officially underway. As is tradition, we'll start things off with a wide-open subject matter challenge that's sure to generate a flurry of ideas. Read on for your Round 1 challenge.

Weather Report: Write and record a song with lyrics about or prominently mentioning weather, either literal or metaphorical: hot, cold, rain, snow, sunshine, clouds, storms, etc., etc., etc.

Examples:

"Like The Weather" by 10,000 Maniacs
"Have You Ever Seen the Rain" by Creedence Clearwater Revival
"Heat Wave" by Irving Berlin
"Winter Song" by Sara Bareilles and Ingrid Michaelson
"Tornado" by Little Big Town
"I Can See Clearly Now" by Johnny Nash
"The Thunder Rolls" by Garth Brooks
"The Wind Cries Mary" by Jimi Hendrix
"Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!" by Sammy Cahn and Jule Styne

Submitting Entries:
Your entry must be received by Sunday, March 10, 2024 @ 11:59 PM EDT. Otherwise it'll be posted as a shadow. Received means that it has to appear in my e-mail inbox (spintunescontest@gmail.com) by the given deadline. I will be going by the time stamp on the e-mail. One minute late is too late.
You are allowed and encouraged to submit a draft of your song early just in case something horrible happens and you miss the deadline. Then you can add polish to your song and send in a better version closer to the deadline. The last version received prior to the deadline is your official entry.
Lyrics are mandatory. No instrumentals. Having no lyrics will get you disqualified.

SUBMITTING BY EMAIL: Send your file in a format that BandCamp accepts. (.wav or .flac) (at least 16-bit/44.1kHz) Do not send MP3s.
Name your file the song's title + your band name, without punctuation.
The subject line of the e-mail should identify the challenge and your band's name. Something like this would be fine: "ST22R1 - All the Robots".
Include the song lyrics in the body of the e-mail.
Include information on anyone that needs credited if you collaborated with someone.

ALTERNATE FILE SHARING OPTIONS: If your file is too big for an email attachment, you may email me a link to where I can download the song. The email still needs to land in my inbox by the deadline.
If you have a Bandcamp account you can just send me a link to your song if you include all the info I mentioned for emails. Info such as lyrics and song credits can be included in the email or on the song's Bandcamp page. Make sure you have it set as a free download, and have it set so that I don't have to put in an e-mail to download it if you pick this option.
You may also use a file sharing service such as DropBox, WeTransfer, Google Drive, etc. Include in the email any required information (such as lyrics) that you couldn't include in the file. Make sure I have permission to download the file, and please follow directions so your file doesn't wind up in my spam or trash folder accidentally.

SONG BIOS: In addition to lyrics and any necessary credits, you are welcome to include a "song bio", with any information you feel is useful. This could include your inspiration for the song, citations for any obscure references within the lyrics, an explanation of how your song met the challenge, etc. Some challenges may require you to supply certain info in your song bio. Since the judges are volunteers with lives outside of SpinTunes, song bios can help them zero in on aspects of the song you feel are important. However, if your song requires a multi-paragraph explanation in order to understand and appreciate it, this is probably a sign that it doesn't stand up well on its own, and its ranking may reflect that.

Side Notes:
You can send in an entry to SpinTunes 22 without competing. Just tell me it's a "Shadow Song". It will be played at the listening party, but won't be ranked and you might not receive feedback from the judges. Check the FAQ if you don't know what that means. You can even complete past challenges from previous contests. It's a nice way of playing along if you can't commit to the schedule or you just want to get your feet wet.

The only other way to get your music played at the listening party is to cover "Today's The Day" by Inverse T. Clown or "Right Again" by Mandibles.

https://spintunescontest.blogspot.com/2 ... lenge.html
BoffoYux
Panama

Re: SpinTunes 22 Round 1 Challenge - 'Weather Report'

Post by BoffoYux »

Wow - 44 artists are signed up for Round 1!

A reminder: LP will start at 9pm on Monday 3/11 - and check for the exact time we start the LPs - work might delay me from getting home.
Good luck with your songs! I'm looking forward to playing them all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-lftALeIMQ
SpinTunes 22 Round 1 listening party: Monday March 11 - 9 pm EST. Drop on in and Chat with the artists!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-bnoSoxQxg
arby
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Omnichord, vocals
Recording Method: ZOOM, GarageBand
Submitting as: Lucky Witch & the Righteous Ghost, Virgo Power
Pronouns: she/her

Post by arby »

BoffoYux wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:31 am
Wow - 44 artists are signed up for Round 1!
I counted 45! Either way, a whopping number! Ahhh that will be a crazy long listen!

We are IN btw! I sent a safety version around 3pm, having accidentally stayed up all night, then passed out for 4 hours, got up, ate dinner and did a few more tweaks :lol: Sent in final version at 11:25! I've been sick as a dog so I'm really glad we were able to get this one in. Last year we signed up and then failed to even write anything.

Why is the discussion so dead over here? Did I hallucinate or did somebody say there's a Discord? If so, anybody got a link?
"That organ is piercing my soul" - Adam Adamant
"Lo-fi doom rock isn't my bag at all. I'm trying to imagine this with professional production and played/sung perfectly and I don't think I'd like it much more." - furrypedro
BoffoYux
Panama

Post by BoffoYux »

arby wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:11 pm
Why is the discussion so dead over here? Did I hallucinate or did somebody say there's a Discord? If so, anybody got a link?
I've been trying to nudge contestants to create a SongFight account and post reviews over on the SF forums. About half of them are here.

There isn't one spot everyone communicates, like most things, it can me a little fragmented. Here's what Micah posted about the locations.

"All contest updates (new challenges, judges' reviews, scores, etc) will be posted at spintunescontest.blogspot.com, and participants will be notified by email. I may also post links to updates on the @SpinTunes Twitter account as well as in the private SpinTunes Facebook group and Discord channel and the SpinTunes subforum of the SongFight forums. If you need permission to get a SongFight forum account or to join the Facebook group or Discord channel, let me know."

There is a SpinTunes Discord - I think I'm on it, but since it's blocked at work, I don't usually get there often. Micah can set you up if you send him an email at spintunescontest@gmail.com .
MicahSommer
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Voice, accordion, keyboards, guitar, euphonium
Recording Method: StudioOne Artist / AudioBox USB
Submitting as: Micah Sommersmith, All The Robots
Pronouns: they/them or he/him

Post by MicahSommer »

arby wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:11 pm
Did I hallucinate or did somebody say there's a Discord? If so, anybody got a link?
If you signed up for SpinTunes 22, the email I sent on March 1 announcing the first challenge also has a Discord invite link.
"you did a skillful job pulling off the sexy" - RangerDenni
arby
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Omnichord, vocals
Recording Method: ZOOM, GarageBand
Submitting as: Lucky Witch & the Righteous Ghost, Virgo Power
Pronouns: she/her

Post by arby »

MicahSommer wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:01 pm
If you signed up for SpinTunes 22, the email I sent on March 1 announcing the first challenge also has a Discord invite link.
got it

*hacker voice* I'm in
"That organ is piercing my soul" - Adam Adamant
"Lo-fi doom rock isn't my bag at all. I'm trying to imagine this with professional production and played/sung perfectly and I don't think I'd like it much more." - furrypedro
BoffoYux
Panama

Post by BoffoYux »

Starting on my impressions of the songs this round. Can't say they're reviews, but more what went in and out of my head while listening to the tunes while we wait on the judges to opine. Your mileage may vary.

Stacking Theory - Mordialloc Beach (when the wind is right)
I like the driving beat and the haunting backing vocals of the chorus. It's kinda uplifting like the kite.

The Moon Bureau - Sweater Weather
Nice guitar solo and a beat that keeps on going and giving. Cool short little ditty.

Giraffes for Wings - Impact Winter
I'm trying to get a bead on this one. Protest song? Processing in your head song? It feels folky and upbeat, which is a good foil to the lyrics.

Berkeley Social Scene - Waterspout
I like the imagery - I hadn't thought about using the itsy bitsy spider as a metaphor. Good guitar work and upbeat song.

Chamomileon - Sleet and Snow
Sultry beat. Deceptive guitar. Quite the way to do a road trip, but once you've committed, you're on your way until you're there. Gave me a feeling I was in the RV trip with the narrator...

Ironbark - I Am A Clear Blue Sky
Happy but questioning beat. Is the narrator telling the truth? Still trying to figure this one out.

glennny - Psychotic Cyclone
We're on a boat. At least for now until the storm has it's way. Nice use of stacatto guitar to make the song feel a little psycho.

Jeff Walker - And So It Begins
Some deep thoughts off the bat, twisting to the fact the large things all can be broken down to smaller things that you can deal with. Steady guitar, good backbeat. Good job!

West of Vine - Aeromancer
I still need to parse this one. Favorite part was the slide guitar, but I'm still not sure why the relationship is on the rocks. The clouds (like the stars) are alligned that way?

Hot Pink Halo - Strange Attraction
Neat use of Chaos theory in relationship choices. I like the guitar choices.
crumpart
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Fuzz
Submitting as: Hot Pink Halo
Pronouns: She/her

Post by crumpart »

BoffoYux wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:00 pm
Starting on my impressions of the songs this round. Can't say they're reviews, but more what went in and out of my head while listening to the tunes while we wait on the judges to opine. Your mileage may vary.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts Tommy! I probably won’t get around to reviewing Round 1, but I thought the Boffo Yux song was super fun, and will try to properly review at least one of the upcoming rounds.
Devil’s got me Lindt! Devil’s got me Lindt!
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

Weather Report

Rain- The music is very interesting. The vocals have some excellent moments, but unfortunately some rather sour and scoopy moments. The tempo also feels maybe too slow. It drags a bit for me. I especially enjoy the synth solo at 2:02. Does the can opening have anything to do with the concept of the song?

Falcon Artist- You’re killing me. Tune your guitar! You have a nice voice! This is kind of unlistenable just due to the out of tune guitar. It’s a shame, I’d like to hear more of your vocals.

Joy Sitler-
Nice production! Solid song! Acoustic sounds good, the bass sounds great! I dig the shaker. Great vocals! Nice backing vocals! You pack a lot of song in 2:14. That’s a smart move in a large fight. If I were to take anything out it would be the pad, it’s subtle but I think it would be stronger without it. See you next round. Great job!

The Pannacotta Army-
A New Low- I’m a fan. I always look forward to your songs. This is awesome! The drums sound fantastic! Vocals are stellar! Great chords! Great production! The break down is nice, I almost complained about no solo, but you end on a solo. Thank you! I feel complete. Good job! See you next round.

Cheslain- Great vocals! I like the production. The percussion is particularly interesting. Guitars are tasty and supportive. The pad is nice, but I wonder if it would be stronger without it. This is pretty, quite an enjoyable listen. The electric guitar is a tease, it made me think we’d get a full drum kit and a rockin’ section. Good job! See you next round.

See-Man-Ski-
This is pop gold. I wonder if it’s too close to “People Get Ready” by the Impressions. The intro makes me start singing People Get Ready every time, but I’m weird that way. Your vocals are stellar as always. You check the box for the challenge, but this really isn’t a weather song. Production is nice. This feels like a parody or a song for a comedy show, where it leans into familiar chord patterns and stresses. In any case, I enjoyed it for your vocal performance if nothing else. Good job! See you next round.

Stacking Theory- This is one of my favorites of the fight (album?). Your affected vocals are very cool sounding. However, I learned last year that I go nuts for your natural vocals, so now that I know that , I yearn for it. (maybe not the whole song, but another voice somewhere?). The music is great! The music reminds me of Sparks like “Number One Song in Heaven”. This is a keeper! I’ll be relistening to this well after Spintunes 22. Great job! See you next round!

The Moon Bureau- New Wave classic! This is great! I just saw Ride and Charlatans in January, you should have opened that show. Love the music and vocals. Production is alright, I wish the drums were louder. Lyrics are great! I love the way you integrated the challenge! I wish there was an instrumental breakdown if no solo. Great song! This would be fun to cover. Good job! See you next round!

Giraffes for Wings- The acoustic guitar is doing a lot of percussion work for this recording. I really wish you had someone playing stand up bass, or cello. This leaves me yearning for some low end. I really enjoy your vocal delivery. This feels like a banger in a coffee shop! Cool song! Good job! See you next round.

Berkeley Social Scene- This is me on vocals and rhythm and lead guitar, Ken on (right) guitar, Martin on Bass, Geech on drums. We wrote and recorded live in the studio, then I overdubbed the vocals and guitar solo. A waterspout is a weird weather phenomenon : a rotating column of water formed by a whirlwind over a sea or lake connecting to cumulous cloud above. I’m hoping the metaphors work for you. This is fun to play, I hope it makes our set for Song Fight Live, we’ll see.

Chamomileon- I call this song “Microwave Burrito”. This is not much of a chorus. The verse is strong, but the chorus doesn’t have much dynamic lift from the verse. You’re quite the crooner. Vocals are clearly the showcase of this recording. Lyrics check the challenge box fine.

Ironbark-
Yes! This is lovely! Maybe it’s too short? I love the bass! The sparse piano is delightful! This is another favorite of the fight! Vocals and lyrics are fantastic! Great job! See you next round!

glennny- This is my solo project. I like how a lot of it turned out, I’m particularly fond of the acoustic guitar gamelans. It’s a silly rock song about an affair with a woman suffering from cycloid psychosis, which I take rock ‘n roll liberty to call psychotic cyclone. I think it’s fun. I hope I survive.

Jeff Walker-
Solid country tune. Very pretty guitar playing. Great vocals, genre appropriate. You really embraced the challenge, I like it. This is not my genre of preference, but this is very well done! Good job! See you next round.

West of Vine
- This is very loose. Another country tune, not my genre. I guess this is a story song. It’s through composed. The tempo increase is underwhelming, I want the guitars drums and bass to get a lot louder there, rock a bit, then have an ending. It looks like you were aiming for exactly 2:00. You don’t even let the last chord ring out, it’s cut off. Strange composition with a lot of good parts that don’t quite come together for me.

Hot Pink Halo- Nice groove. The vocals really work in the verses. In the chorus the music intensifies, but the vocals remain soft and breathy. I’d like to hear you belt out a catchy hook in the chorus. Also, I find the chorus melody to be weak. That said, this is overall an entertaining listen. Good job.

Temnere- Did you hear that Judas Priest- Invincible Shield entered the UK charts at #2? That’s their highest position ever. Where are the metal drummers? It’s a shame for you to rock this hard to a drum machine. This is great! I’m a former metal head ( Maiden and Priest ilk), so this is fun. Great vocals! Good job, see you next round.

Hutch- That electric guitar is really faint. The drum machine doesn’t vary much throughout the song. You nail the challenge. Not much difference between the verse and chorus.

The Dutch Widows- Wow, this production sounds great! I love that chorus! Good hooks! I guess I wish there was some backing vocals in the chorus. Don’t worry, I’ve written them, they’re in my head now. Oh, you have a bit in the last chorus, but I hear many more harmonies and counterpoints in that chorus. Anyway, this is great! See you next round!

Chewmeupspitmeout- You got the backing vocals memo! Backing vocals are great! Challenge is nailed. This production is quirky and cool! I like this a lot. Fun song! See you next round.

Cybronica- Grey skies. Grey? Are you British? I know you’re not. Just teasing, I prefer Grey to Gray too. But wait, it’s gray in the lyrics and grey in the title? The sparse guitar and piano really showcase your vocals. Your vocals really shine here. Flute is great too! I like the bass tone too. Challenge nailed, amazing vocals. I can’t sing along, few can. Nothing catchy about this, but it’s pretty and interesting. Good job, see you next round.

The Alleviators- Challenge is barely met, but at least you’re not singing about rain. What’s up with quiet fuzz guitar? I’m not sold on these drums for the whole song. I think they should have changed to a kick snare at some point. The vocals are really pretty, especially when you have all 3 voices. The melody is rather repetitive. I like this okay, but it doesn’t grab me. I think you’ll be fine. See you next round.

Winterloper- I really don’t like the autotune processed vocals. The melody is pretty good. The backing tracks are okay, but a little sleepy. Challenge box checked. There’s not much dynamics to this.

Boffo Yux Dudes- Nice change up! Challenge is handled well! I like where the drums are sitting. I wish the keys and guitars and bass were louder. Your chorus is catchy. That tambourine is pretty loud in the mix when it comes in. Cool song.

SunLite- Cool riff! Reminds me of Foals. This is fun. I’m enjoying this listen. I would call “Chorus A” a “Pre-Chorus”. I wish the guitar solo developed more for longer, but I just saw a Phish cover band (Chum) do 20 minute extended jams, so that’s where my head is. Anyway, this is a good song! See you next round.

Governing Dynamics- This is a nice rocker! Great guitar riffs. This could be a Gaslight Anthem song. Nice dynamics! The challenge is nailed. This is one of my favorites of the fight. Tasty solo, but too damn short. This might be a single for you. I particularly like the hesitation on the word “lines” in the chorus. Great playing, great song. Awesome job! See you next round.

Menage a Tune- Girl and Piano song. I think the piano being the only accompaniment should be louder. 2:06 is a good length for this. The lyrics are great! The story-telling vocals are effective.

Sober- Dude! Production is amazing! It’s hard to pay attention to the song writing when the production is so flawless. This is not my genre, but I love the sound and level of every instrument. Vocals are equally amazing. The backing vocal “oooohs” are my favorite part. This is excellent, see you next round.

Eric Baer- Drums are static. No bass. Interesting chord changes. I think with a full band production this could be an Eagles song. As it is, it feels like a demo. Solid writing. I like the vocal melodies. This could really use more dynamics. The backing vocal harmonies are really nice.

LW&RG- Great lyrics! Hey! we should work together sometime! I love the live drums. I want the guitar and bass louder. I appreciate the unprocessed vocals, but there are some sour notes. Probably warranted some other takes. This is a good song, I hope it makes your next live set.

Ominous Ride- GaJungJut GaJungJut is very Heart- Magic Man. Vocals are so loud compared to the backing tracks. With a rocker like this, drums should be much louder. Go listen to Def Leppard or Heart, notice where the drums are in the mix. Vocals are great! Challenge met. The title made me laugh. I’m sure you’ll pass on. See you next round.

Dream Bells- This is well written. Nice structure and melody. Good beats. I can’t get behind the recording. It seems it wants to be EDM, but there’s no low end. A cover of this could be smokin! Ends abruptly too.

Burning Paper Planes- I was enjoying the song a lot. I’m not into the spoken word bit. This is fun and experimental. This is almost a parody of AWOLNATION-Sail. Lots of the same beats and percussion choices.

Phlub- This is an excellent novelty song! It’s a bummer you missed the deadline. This is a gem. It’s very funny, and musical enough to enjoy multiple listens. I loved it!
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
Pop Machine
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Vox, keys, cash register
Recording Method: PreSonus Studio, Audacity, TASCAM 24-channel A/D
Submitting as: Boffo Yux Dudes, Pop Machine
Pronouns: he/that asshole

Post by Pop Machine »

glennny wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:01 pm
Weather Report

Boffo Yux Dudes- Nice change up! Challenge is handled well! I like where the drums are sitting. I wish the keys and guitars and bass were louder. Your chorus is catchy. That tambourine is pretty loud in the mix when it comes in. Cool song.
Thanks for the feedback, glennny! This is very helpful and much appreciated.
DutchWidows
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Submitting as: Dutch Widows
Pronouns: he/him

Post by DutchWidows »

Thanks for the reviews Glennny! Mine have somewhat stalled about half way through - I will try and finish them this week if I get a spare hour or two....

On this point:
glennny wrote:
I guess I wish there was some backing vocals in the chorus. Don’t worry, I’ve written them, they’re in my head now.
If you had 5 minutes to sing/record what's in your head, I'd love to hear it! I really struggle with BVs and counter-melodies in general - I hear a main melody, and almost everything else is linearly linked to it. I need to put things down for days and days and come back fresh to start to hear other things, and there generally isn't time for that in SpinTunes (particularly if you leave the lead vocal as late as I generally do). So if you were able to sing what you hear, I'd love to hear it! (No pressure though - entirely unreasonable to ask really...). email is thedutchwidows at gmail dot com if you feel so inclined!
temnere
A New Player
Submitting as: temnere

Post by temnere »

glennny wrote:

Temnere- Did you hear that Judas Priest- Invincible Shield entered the UK charts at #2? That’s their highest position ever. Where are the metal drummers? It’s a shame for you to rock this hard to a drum machine. This is great! I’m a former metal head ( Maiden and Priest ilk), so this is fun. Great vocals! Good job, see you next round.
Glad they're charting well, it's a great album! Big couple weeks for old New Wave of British Heavy Metal guys, really - Bruce Dickinson's newly released solo album is also on the charts I've heard, and Blaze Bayley's just came out as well (not charting but I like it more than Bruce's by a long shot.) Much appreciated about the vocals, and for the reviews in general!

As far as metal drums, I'm a drummer - longer than I've been a guitarist or singer by about a decade. I wish real drums were a possibility but for the style I'm going for it's just not really in the cards without booking studio time. This song, like my last few, is a mix of loops and hand played bits - I use a Simmons 1250 e-kit sampling EZDrummer2, but I haven't really found the effect of hand playing any of it to be humanizing (in fact I've received more comments about the drums sounding fake since I've started actually recording any of them last year..) Time to dive into some tutorials, I suppose - I know it can be done in a way where they're practically indistinguishable as I've been fooled plenty of times.