Yer mama's so old, she babysat Jesus (Ancient Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Yer mama's so old, she babysat Jesus (Ancient Reviews)

Post by erik »

ohnoyoudi'n't
nyjm
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: acoustic guitar, electric guitar, synth, various MIDI instruments
Recording Method: Reaper, Line 6 POD, GLS Audio 57 and 58
Submitting as: noah mclaughlin, Ford's Theater Disaster, Juliet's Happy Dagger

Re: Yer mama's so old, she babysat Jesus (Ancient Reviews)

Post by nyjm »

erikb wrote:ohnoyoudi'n't
ohyaidi'

dead rutherford
- i keep saying this to various people, but the lyrics lack prosody, mostly rhythm, in the verse
- fun, but maybe a bit too sustained, it would be nice to have a breakdown in the middle there

easy l
- vocals are too far up in the mix, which makes the missed harmony notes really painful
- fun rhythm and good groove in the music, especially the bass and drum interaction
- good guitar solo! very cool.

johnny cashpoint
- very new age
- love the way you let your british accent work for this tune
- is that a ukelele? excellent
- might want to rethink the drums in the second chorus, they seem to accent the wrong beat
- great tune.

lon bobby
- nice little echo there on the vox
- a solid, languishing song that stays interesting, good work
- good vocal melody and good musical dynamism

luke henley
- this could rock out pretty hard, but it's not tight enough; the few moments you're in the groove, it's quite good, but then 80% of the time, you're just flailing about and it's not good
- why is this called "ancient"?

neil thrun and the doom fairies
- very interesting lyrics, but your singing is as bad as mine
- otherwise, nothing remarkable

network cowboy
- pretty beginning, but then what?
- this is going to sound odd, but it kind of reminds me of the music from "the princess bride" for some reason
- towards the end, it starts to fall out of rhythm
- why is this called "ancient"?

noah mclaughlin (featuring c hack!)/forgotten on the map
- hmm. thought i submitted this under a different name; ah, there it is on the mp3 tag... oh well.
- big thank you to c hack for the vocal and production work; i love the way he makes this take off at the end
- you know i had to get some french to song fight some time...

the red lights
- up the vocals a bit
- the musical mish-mosh is interesting; nothing i would have ever throught to do, but it really works together
- pretty ending, but it seems to be out of rhythm

ross durand
- love the bass part... ooh and the harmonica, too. very cool.
- wow. great tune. nice and thrumming, almost thundering. just the right length.

sonofsupercar
- musically, this is really good. rocks out really well.
- i can't get a good gauge on the register of the lyrics. funny? serious? it doesn't complete succeed at either.

wow. what a kick ass fight. why did i have to enter this one instead of rule of thump? thank you everyone.
"You sound like the ghost of David Bowie." - SchlimminyCricket | it was a pleasure to burn | my website | Juliet's Happy Dagger
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Written as I listen.

Dead Rutherford - (By process of elimination - tags, man, tags - with a cool name like that, I'd want to show it off at every opportunity) nice guitar. mix is a little bit murky on the instruments though. As much as I like two chord progressions this needs to go somewhere else and then come back at around 1.30ish in my opinion. The vocal is fine but it sounds like it can't decide whether it's being playful or being serious. Hmmmm, not bad.

Easy L - It's a shame that the words fall out of time with each other every now and again, and the vocals are too loud in that when they go out of tune occasionally, that's all i can hear. Like that bass - that should be turned up and the guitar down a little (and the vocals but I said that already) - I like the tune here a lot, and there some cool lyrical snatches too. Pretty cool.

Me is me. Thanks to Jack for the microphone filter suggestion!

Lonbobby - I love your stuff so much more now that you have started singing ratehr than getting people who more 'polished' singing on it - the contrast between the fragile human aspect of your voice and the smooth electronic production adds a new dimension. That said, this particular tune isn't really grabbing me - in that it could be a disney tune played by some techno boffins, but there are some lovely melody sections that make me happy. Not my bag but good work. CONTENDER

Luke Henley - there so many good ideas in your stuff, not always well realised, but I like the way you push the limitations of your recording set-up (well what i assume to be limitations) into unexpected areas ... I would have started this at 2.11. Way too long and an instrumental (?) means no vote but good work.

NT&tDF - Very cute in a one-off novelty-song-listen kind of way. Oh and it's already out of date. Needs more to it. One too many verses. But good recording. And I like your voice here.

Network Cowboy - Pretty song but what's the point / relation to the title / one thing that's stopping it being an indulgence? Don't get me wrong - it's very well played and produced, but that's only 1/2 the battle in my mind.

NM&CH - I like a lot. Great chorus. The stumbling through the French at the beginning is soon forgotten when the song hits its flow. My only problem is that the lyric is SOOOOO pretentious :) 'Cool your burning thighs', 'ancient skull'? *smirk* I'll put it down to second language syndrome :) Still CONTENDER.

The Red Lights - Oooh, I like that opening! That string sound is great and your voice is lovely in a world-weary way. The last minute is great, I was getting a little bored with the simple structure up to that point. I might reccommend moving that great last minute into the middle, might improve the dynamic. Anyway CONTENDER.

Ross Durand - I likea lot, despite AORish tendencies - very Dylan-esque harmonica (does anyone play a harmonica that doesn't sound like Dylan? :) The lyric is pretty sonically without my brain immediately connecting as to the meaning. Nice tootly thing towards the end. perfectly formed.

SOS - This is silly. I wield my +5 sword of novelty lyric killing and reveal a great Helmet-esque tune within. I'm torn - if you hadn't printed the words, so that i could see how dumb and self-referential they are, I would have voted for this in a second. As it is, CONTENDER

Good fight! Probably will be SOS (I love heavy music with soft voice) but the lyric bothers me. If not them, then NM&CH (same problem though) ...

j$
WeaselSlayer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, keyboard
Recording Method: Garageband, laptop mic
Submitting as: Luke Henley

Post by WeaselSlayer »

I really wish I'd had time to put vocals on my piece, because I had some good ideas for it, but I had to submit this like RIGHT before jetsetting to New York, y'dig? Anyway, it's called "Ancient" because it harkens back to days of old. In my mind anyway. Ba dumpa cha.

Love,
Luke

ps - reviews later today.
MintyHandy
Mean Street
Instruments: None
Recording Method: None

Post by MintyHandy »

Given the artwork and general theme, I think I'll clumsily deadify everyone's name as I go.

Dead Rutherford

No name deadification required!

Full-on Spinal Tap action, or at least that's how it feels to me. Overall well produced, with a few timing problems, but it gets old after a while. I really like how the drums sound. Shame about the stumbling at the end. Needed to be funnier lyrically or more serious musically, but had no full committed to either end of the spectrum.

Johnny Gravepoint

Has everything a decomposing body needs, except a hooky chorus, and that's sorely missed. Vocals surprisingly well recorded for you, so either you've finally bought/borrowed a good microphone, or you've found a great way to use that tie-clip one. The little guitar break really pleases me. With stronger beats, a better chorus and the vocalist from Gorillaz, this would make a great Gorillaz song.

Zombie L

Strong opening, especially percussively. I like the Zappa-esque vocal arrangements, but your vocal execution isn't nearly tight enough to pull it off; just sounds sloppy. It's a shame you went high on that right channel in the chorus around 1:05, I wish you'd stayed low like the first half. Stops feeling clever around 1:42.

I have a laundry list of things I wish you'd done:
  • bring the vocals in sync throughout

harmonize the second half of the chorus as you did the first half

cut (exorcise? heh) everything from 1:42 to 2:02

end the song at 3:24

when you transition to different vocal approaches (i.e. singing to speaking, or when they overlap) change the panning and vocal effects to differentiate the segments more
But I nitpick to this extent because I love, and would love to hear the reworked piece. So far, the only one I listened to twice

Ross In Peace

Sounds like the band is playing in the next room, too much reverb overall. An intriguing use of additional instrumentation sprinkled throughout, and basically solid, but I miss the cleverness and directness of last week's entry (which, as you know, I loved). Acoustic guitar and deadpan delivery only works if the material shines through, and I know you can write that kind of material.

Luke Deadly

Like Ross, sounds like the band is playing in the next room, too much reverb overall. By 0:40, I want to you not be playing the guitar any more ever. One minute in, and I skipped past the Clearpoint Pause to 2:17. Instrumentals can conceivably get my vote, but they have to be extremely well-conceived and apropos; sadly, this one doesn't fit the bill for me.

Neil Thrun and the Doom Fairies

No name deadification required, which is good, because I'm running out of ideas.

Got right to the point lyricly, eh? Not a lot of structure or energy backing the concept, and I can't quite pin down why I don't like it very much (not very useful feedback, I know, sorry). Lyrically I was giving you a shot, but you lost me at feeding tube.

Incidentally, where were the Doom Fairies? I was distinctly promised Doom Fairies!

Deadbody

(I crack myself up)

I want to like this, and I think your arrangement is terrific (even if your strings are painfully MIDI). I think you need another vocalist, however, or -- and this is my preferred choice -- you need to realize you have a good voice and should be using it with more confidence. Here it sounds much too timid; I want to hear the same confidence as your arrangement carries. That vocal treatment at 2:00 grabbed my attention, in a good way. Not suggesting you carry it throughout, of course.

However: ten minutes? Good lord. Seriously, better if it's three to five minutes, then go have a nice walk in the park.

Noah LaGhoulin

(yeah, I'm running out of ideas here)

Fundamentally solid, but I feel like I've heard this song many times before. Also sounds like the vocalist and musicians are phoning it in. Nothing special about the song to pull it out of that energy pit for me.

The Deadlights

I like the instrumentation choices and the arrangement, except for the guitar, which just annoyed me. Your vocals worked for me arrangement-wise; next time record them closer to the microphone and make them more distinct from the background noise (louder and wider, perhaps).

Shame that lyrically, nothing really going on here, except some kind of generic poem. Remember: twelve perfect words repeated with confidence beats an entire song of mediocre lyrics any day of the week, at least for me. Also, the drop at 2:16 feels arbitrary.

At the end of the day, though, I love the percussion and string plinks, so I did listen to the first part of the song again to hear 'em.

Tombstone Cowboy

Very nice opening! Here's hoping the rest backs it up...are you really playing guitar, or is that a MIDI guitar? My money's on MIDI. Uh oh, it's drifting into some kind of traditional Japanese song, and I suspect is an instrumental. Suddenly I'm having John Tesh flashbacks. Oh crap, it is an instrumental, and it's losing me. I guess you can't make something sound ancient if it's done with this much MIDI.

Son of Svengoolie

Is that chanting a sample, or did you make that? Certainly the most intriguing opening of the bunch, please oh please oh please turn into a song -- YES! A trebly mix, almost sounds mono, and I want the chorus to have really wide guitars soaring around everywhere, but that's all production quibble nonsense. Can't remember the last time I caught myself unconsciously headbanging, but did just now. Oh snap, this is a LOVE SONG? not sure, but if so, even better. I'm not going to read the lyrics to see if I'm wrong. You win.

Add a bridge, record it in stereo, and send me a copy of the album. I'm listening to this while I read through and revise my comments for this fight.

- - - - -

Son of Svengoolie takes it for me, although Zombie L had it 'till the end, and as always Johnny Gravepoint pleased me very much.
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

MintyHandy wrote:Johnny Gravepoint either you've finally bought/borrowed a good microphone, or you've found a great way to use that tie-clip one.
New compressor software. Sure 58 to follow. I always say that, though and so (to recycle an old pun) don't hold your breath ... Bahaha laughs at his own triple-punnage.
Bolio
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Piano, Keyboards, Guitar, Saxophone, Triangle
Recording Method: "The Golden Age of Cakewalk"
Submitting as: Bolio
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Bolio »

Dead Rutherford – Very good ‘ancient’ feel to intro & throughout. Channeling The The here, spooky band that one. Long repetitive verses a turnoff, mainly because the chorus sounds exactly the same (I understand if that’s the style you were going for.) I’m looking for a different but just as ancient chorus.

Easy L – I may have had something to do with this track. Well all of it. Never could find the fine line between ‘Your vox were buried & I can’t hear them’ and ‘Your vox are too in front & they are a turn off’ (I pulled the guitar off the first verse, maybe I should have with the second.) I went with the ‘lyrics are more important than music this week.’ I’ll pool the comments & try to remix this someday. (Minty Handy – thanks man, this is exactly the type of advice I’m looking for. I aim at posting a remix.)

Johnny Cashpoint – Love the style & plenty of good stuff to keep me listening… keeper after first listen. Running real drums through my head, that would sound very cool. More J$ ear candy, love the style & vocal effect changes. Makes me miss Pompeii a little less.

Lonbobby – Haven’t seen you around in some time (must pull up ‘hold my calls.’) Great feel to this song. The autotune effects work very well. Easy to get entranceed by the sounds in the backround too. Awesome production, great dymanics. Keeper.

Luke Henley – Interesting build if not an excruciatingly long wait [/check watch again.] Very disappointed there isn’t a vocal in this, because when it all comes together it actually sounds pretty good. A couple of times it’s really kicking ass. Either Dead Rutherford or Lonbobby’s songs could have done it for me as instrumentals, because they have an ancient feel to them. Even a poorly sung badly mixed paragraph about something related to ‘ancient’ would have saved the song for me. BUT this could have been entered just as ineffectively as ‘rule of thump’ or ‘hey britney’ for that matter. [/instrumental soapbox]

Neil Thrun & The Doom Fairies – If your B+G can bring a smile to my face then you’ve done more than most. Nice lyrics & good non-pretentious delivery.

Network Cowboy – Nice intro, I would tend to go overboard playing guitar (or whatever string you would call it) on keyboard but this works very very well. See Luke Henley above about instrumentals. As nice a song it is, does not tie to the subject & I’m actually feeling ‘we are made of strings’ more than ‘ancient.’ I won’t vote but I will keep, I love the style & the progression.

Noah McLaughlin – Verse almost loses me but the chorus is very good. Cymbals & especially reverse cymbals sound very out of place (stylewise) without the full drum kit involved… or a Disco light. Can’t help but focus on it.

Red Lights – Oddly appealing. Needs drums imo but…loving the variety show. ‘Plucked violin’ sound, get’s annoying, but I like the guitar work. Vocals buried in the mix.

Ross Durand – I really like it. Melodies & lyrics are great, in a grumpy folksy kind of way. You’re vocal part is okay, with a top notch vocal delivery this would be the best song in this fight for me by far. Unfortuately I’m the wrong person to be giving advice on how to get there… With the harmonica, how cool would this song with Neil Young singing? Not that it would be a top notch vocal delivery.

Son of Supercar – Deliciously distorted. Keeper. Picturing Gandalf trying to dance to this, & yep I do believe he’s got it. The neat progression is hooking me from the beginning. Can’t say I would change a thing.

GOOD SOME KEEPERS for my regular rotation!!! Songfight folder has been looking anorexic lately.

1.SOS
2.Lonbobby
3a.J$
3b.Ross Durand
I may not know karate, but I know KA-RAZY! -James Brown |Bolio on SoundCloud
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

j$ wrote:Sure 58 to follow.
Word on the street is that the 58 is exactly the same as the 57, but with a plosive grill, making it not really worth the extra US$20.
<a href="http://www.c-hack.com">c-hack.com</a> | <a href="http://www.rootrecords.org">rootrecords.org</a>
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

c hack wrote:
j$ wrote:Sure 58 to follow.
Word on the street is that the 58 is exactly the same as the 57, but with a plosive grill, making it not really worth the extra US$20.
This is correct, and you can find that fact in Shure's info somewhere. Links are probably on this message board, somewhere, 'cause I know we've looked it up before.

jb
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

the "gandalf" thing is all of us shouting into the mic.

there is a bridge! the operatic bit is a diff progression from the rest of it. for us, that counts as a bridge.
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

Niv's review paragraph

Last music review of the day. The ancient fight looks promising. First up Network Cowboy and it starts off so very dainty. Hmmm, a 3 and a half minute song of this mix between wannabe japanese koto and guitar could potentially be dullsville. This is ok. I'm digging it and I can see how this could fall into the ancient category but that doesn't change the fact that its instrumental. Next up,LUKE!. Uh-oh 6 minutes. Can Mr. Henley bring the Floyd? Distorted guitars and not so distorted guitars. So far this is not winning me over and I'm a LH fan. Wait, it got all silent. Oh, here we go. Dymanic rock sounds. Could've done without the intro. Now can we get some vocals or was there an optional instrumental challenge that I missed the memo on? 5 minutes in and it's a mega rock experimental opus but still no sign of vocals and I can't feel how this could be "ancient". Oh wait, there we go. A mumble in the last 30 seconds doesn't count. Next J$ is back to being dancey-dancey. That was ok. J$ seldom makes an all-together bad song. Good play on the theme. It's just okay. It's not a single on the next J$ album but a deep cut loved by the hardcore fans who really believe that J$ and Joan of Arc share a soul. SOS are up next and they're chanting. It's like Sissyfist minus Erik. OK. NOw that that's over, the SOS I expect. The self reflexive chorus is irking me. Maybe because I don't dig Shreds. But SOS bring a much needed dose of rock to the fights and I can never hate that. Nice ending. Decent tune. I'm hating the vocals on this one. What is this? Oh, it's Dead Rutherford. This is quickly becoming repetitive and annoying. And I can help but think Tenacious D's "Tribute" during this silly story song. Ugh. Next. It's those banjo picking guys the Red Lights. No banjoes here so far. It has the feel of a holiday tune. With some adjustments I could hear this on the radio between that Smashing Pumpkins Christmas tune and the Pretenders one. Don't ask me about the names, it's the wrong season for me to care. Next, Noah MacLaughin. This is nothing like our Calque tune. This sounds much like His Name is Dan's "That's Not What I Need" until the drums kick in. The french is not working for me and I like French music. It comes without warning and seems mumbled which makes it hard to deal with. Next up, Ross Durand. Please never team up with your brother as Durand Durand. Anyways. That was short and kinda catchy. Nothing flashy and I don't think I'll remember it tomorrow. It was just okay. Next, Easy L. This is musically strong and lyrically & vocally horrendous. So I'm 50/50 on this. Maybe 40/60 because it does drag at the end. Hey Lonbobby is back. (Sidebar: Lon, call up Elle and let's all hang out in the City one of these days). Lonbobby is the king of the keys around here but used it very sparsely here. Instead he went with the sample stringing. I think I would've rathered the keys for "Ancient" but Lon does set a mood well. The song has a good feel to it. I didn't even realize it was almost 4 minutes long. That's a good thing. Last up, Thrun bring the g^2. Ugh, unnecessary jab at the Pope there at the end. Where did that come from? I don't give two shakes about PJP2 but that was oddly placed and essentially useless in the song. Vote time. Lonbobby gets my vote, followed by Sonofsupercar and J$.
RBHID
A New Player

1st boat of reviews...

Post by RBHID »

I'd like to say hi all...this is my first post/review...I'm Dead Rutherford...

I'm bored at work...this site is great...here are reviews...preface saying my speakers suck here, so disregard any comments you may take offense to, cause they aren't accurate.

Noah McLaughlin : Hi-hat has no decay...In fact, cheap drums spoil a good song.

Ross Durand : Neil Young...that horn is awful. Everything else sounds pretty good.

Easy L : J Mascis singing with the muppets...Solo guitar doubling phases weird. Song grows on me thou.

sonofsupercar : Mudhoney/Interpol...great guitar. Hi-hat really harsh...more snare please... Overall I really like it.

Johnny Cashpoint : I don't know how "ancient" the 80's are, but if you are going for eighties go all the way --use 80's sounding instruments...mostly refering to drums...great song!

Neil Thrun and the Doom Fairies : Simple, Frogs esc. Recorded fine...tremelo'd to death

The Red Lights : I don't like the choice of the distored guitar...at least the tone of it. Fun song...some of the instrument

selection doesn't fit...others are great...that harmonica needs something on it...lose the "plucked strings" (they get off beat a lot)

Luke Henley : Jesus Lizard? One chord rough stumming gets on my nerves... I enjoy the piece nontheless

Network Cowboy : I always thought you can edit out wrong notes with MIDI?\nice song otherwise

Lonbobby : This is why electronic drums never made it...But you surely outdid Cher...Great melody
nyjm
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: acoustic guitar, electric guitar, synth, various MIDI instruments
Recording Method: Reaper, Line 6 POD, GLS Audio 57 and 58
Submitting as: noah mclaughlin, Ford's Theater Disaster, Juliet's Happy Dagger

Post by nyjm »

MintyHandy wrote:Noah LaGhoulin

(yeah, I'm running out of ideas here)

Fundamentally solid, but I feel like I've heard this song many times before. Also sounds like the vocalist and musicians are phoning it in. Nothing special about the song to pull it out of that energy pit for me.
i'd just like to take this opportunity to do a little happy dance and point out that, compared to my initial offerings, this is actually an improvement. thanks again to c. hack for his contributions.
"You sound like the ghost of David Bowie." - SchlimminyCricket | it was a pleasure to burn | my website | Juliet's Happy Dagger
Rabid Garfunkel
Jump
Instruments: Absurdity
Recording Method: iPhone, GarageBand & rando apps/toys
Submitting as: OZYMANDIPUS, Rabid Garfunkel, Primitive Screwheads
Pronouns: that guy

Post by Rabid Garfunkel »

j$ wrote:does anyone play a harmonica that doesn't sound like Dylan? :)
Little Walter, that guy from the J. Geils Band, that other guy wandering the Portland International Airport just breathing in and out through it all hee-haw-hee-haw while I'm waiting for a red-eye to board, and hopefully me :wink:
MintyHandy wrote:Son of Svengoolie
Thanks, dude, now I've got his "Angry at the Smurfs" running through my head. Ah, for the innocent days of "Mr. Robber's Neighborhood".

BERWYN!
"Urban cartoon music." -- Paco Del Stinko
Be my friend? --- Song of the Day
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

MintyHandy wrote:Given the artwork and general theme, I think I'll clumsily deadify everyone's name as I go.
Heh, very Halloween-episode-of-the-Simpsons. Fun.
Funny, I listened to all the fight-songs on random and I don't remember hearing an SOS song. Maybe this song isn't as recognizably them as usual.
hmm, nope, sounds like sos. how did i not notice?
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
NeilThrun
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by NeilThrun »

MintyHandy wrote:Incidentally, where were the Doom Fairies? I was distinctly promised Doom Fairies!
I have distinctly told everyone a million times over that I am the single member of Neil Thrun and The Doom Fairies. I got fed up with actual bands and peoples shit("Oh I cant practice, Ive got to jerk off all day"). Yeah, that and its much easier to record when you only have to be in time with yourself.

But thanks everyone for the reviews so far. The hole pope buisness pissed me off I guess, thats why that bits in the song. I just find it funny when these pious shit heads start crying when its their "time to go and embrace God" as they've been preaching to millions of others. Why the hell does the pope need a feeding tube? Where's his holy feeding tube of God?

Anyway, sorry for the rant. I am shocked by the size of the fight. I purposly chose this fight assuming it would be the smallest, I guess you guys just like generic titles. Rule of thump could should have had alot more entries, rule of thumb+rule of hump=rule of thump. Come on, that should have appealed to so many people.
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

nyjm wrote: thanks again to c. hack for his contributions.
no problem, was a pleasure!
Rabid Garfunkel wrote:
j$ wrote:does anyone play a harmonica that doesn't sound like Dylan? :)
Little Walter,
No one has ever played harp as good as Little Walter. Anyone who hasn't heard him needs to download "Juke" right now.
<a href="http://www.c-hack.com">c-hack.com</a> | <a href="http://www.rootrecords.org">rootrecords.org</a>
MintyHandy
Mean Street
Instruments: None
Recording Method: None

Post by MintyHandy »

I have distinctly told everyone a million times over that I am the single member of Neil Thrun and The Doom Fairies.
Eh, I'm a newbie -- whatchagonnado? Heh.
Rabid Garfunkel
Jump
Instruments: Absurdity
Recording Method: iPhone, GarageBand & rando apps/toys
Submitting as: OZYMANDIPUS, Rabid Garfunkel, Primitive Screwheads
Pronouns: that guy

Post by Rabid Garfunkel »

c hack wrote:No one has ever played harp as good as Little Walter. Anyone who hasn't heard him needs to download "Juke" right now.
...and "Lights Out", "Mean Old World", and "Mellow Down Easy"...
"Urban cartoon music." -- Paco Del Stinko
Be my friend? --- Song of the Day
joshw
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Egg Shaker
Recording Method: Focusrite > Reaper
Submitting as: Josh Woodward

Post by joshw »

Scoring Key: (Production, Performance, Song)

Somebody without ID3 tag (7, 6, 6)

Tenacious D this ain't, but it's kinda fun. It could use a little more interest than Am-E over and over again. Nothing changes - if you're going to be that repetitive with the chord change, it needs to really move somewhere with the arrangement. Even the verse and chorus sound the same. I'm too bored by 2:15, time to move on.

Easy L (7, 7, 7)

The intro has me a little turned off, but the verse is cool. Nice melody. I like the breakbeat and the fuzzy electric piano. Lyrically this really needs work, but the music's fun. The chorus' stopping is great. The spoken "ancient" parts are really rubbing me the wrong way for some reason. It seems like it's supposed to be funny, but it's.. not. Change the words on this and it'd be pretty nifty.

Johnny Cashpoint (7, 7, 8)

Whoa, J$ pseudo-rapping? It works better than I figured. You can't do your overexaggerated nasaly thing as much with it. I like the background on this. Wow, I'm actually enjoying the non-sung lyrics. First song I've heard today that I'd consider voting for.

Lonbobby (7, n/a, 8)

Interesting start. This'll work as an intro, I hope the rest of the song stretches out. The slight instrumental additions add just enough to this to keep it really interesting as the song progresses. I like the little vocal harmony touches. This could benefit from a little more variation, but it's still pretty great. Nice creepy feel. The production isn't as crisp as I'd expect.

Luke Henley ()

Wow, you really like E chords, don't you?

Neil Thrun (7, 6, 6)

Not feeling this one. I agree with the message, the song just isn't very inspired.

Network Cowboy ()

Pretty intro, but it's taking too long to get to the point. Hmm.. another instrumental?

Forgotten on the Map (6, 6, 6)

Why is everyone singing like they're falling asleep this week? I like the chorus. The verse is I-IV-V without an interesting melody or arrangement to carry it. Some good lyrics - too bad they're buried.

The Red Lights (7, 7, 8)

Hmm.. the intro on this is getting me excited. Very creative instrumentation. The vocals need a lot more treble or Sonic Maximizer. They're way too muffled when they're competing with the electric guitar for space. The "eternal dreams" line doesn't do much for me. This song is begging for someone like Ben Gibbard to bring the vocals up front. Great acoustic layering at 2:20. Beautiful. The raw creativity on this pushes it over the top. Possible vote.

Ross Durand (7, 7, 7)

Your bass' low E string is flat. "Above" and "down" don't rhyme, and I was expecting them to. This is well-done, but it feels very FM-friendly vanilla. The verse music is pretty repetitive or something. Nice horns. Good, but bland.

Sonofsupercar (7, 7, 7)

When did Wreckdom crawl up your ass and die? Ah.. there's SoS. Glad you managed to crap him out. The SF-specific lyrics kinda doom this to noveltydom. Musically not very interesting. Again, I'm guessing you stole the energy away from everyone else this week. Stop doing that.

The Red Lights are tops this week in my book.
NeilThrun
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by NeilThrun »

Dead rutherford-Wo, this is so different than what we normally get on songfight. At first i thought it was going to be horrible, but once the intro ends its gold. Awesome voice, guitar and rythm. Lyrics are cool, you dont so much listen to them as much as you just here them. Neat song.

easyl-Very different as well. Cool vocal effects. Out of tune vocals not cool. Odd to say the least.

J$-Sweet intro, your voice as always is enjoyable, its airy but still good. I love the spoken parts, but they end early it seems. Cool lyrics, Im not digging the synths or whatever they are. No guitar? bah. Bad ending too.

lon bobby-Cool, very melodic. Easy to hum along with. Would be absolutly beautifull with some violas or something. Its needs a richer sound to back up melody.

Luke Henly-Sweet insturmental, its better it didnt have lyrics. some points were too loud and noisy.

Neil Thrun ATDF-I like my song, but thats because its my song.

Network cowboy-Intro sounds like the chicken dance song, quickly breaks into a borring lame ass melody. Yeah keep it up, youll be the next Kenny G.

Noah-Nice guitar, bad vocals. They are most out of tune, and most lacking emotion or interest. Too long.

Redlights-I love the opening. I like it, interesting choice on the perrcussion keeping rythm, its refresshing that theres no bass kick. the part at 1:25 is sweet. Good length for the song.

Ross Durand-Not digging it, not sure why. Sorry.

Son of Supercar-Not my kind of music. Im sure someone out there likes it.
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

NeilThrun wrote:No guitar?
Errr, three tracks of them, all the way through the song? Do you mean no electric guitar?

j$