Don't Tip the Doorman (Saint Peter Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff
Pronouns: he/him

Don't Tip the Doorman (Saint Peter Reviews)

Post by ken »

It's the most exclusive club in the sky.
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
Kapitano
Push Comes to Shove
Recording Method: Reason, Reaper and Reused Reality.
Submitting as: Kapitano

Re: Don't Tip the Doorman (Saint Peter Reviews)

Post by Kapitano »

ken wrote:It's the most exclusive club in the sky.
I thought that was the Mile High Club.
<a href="http://kapitano.me.uk/">Kapitano's Site of Musical Stuff (Under Construction)</a>
Sober
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Mandolin, hammond, dobro, banjo
Recording Method: Pro Tools

Post by Sober »

Dead Rutherford: Please leave.

Easyl: The bass tone is lame. Hack's harp sticks out a little dry in the mix. The clavi is a nice touch. The peice as a whole is pretty neat, but the parts with vocals seem akward, trackwise. Maybe I just hate the kick sample.

ID3 Tag: Nice name. Fake bass is always bad. You should have used something more synthy, so it didn't come across so cheesy. The lead synth is way the fuck to high in the mix. Since the vocals are obviously the only thing recorded live (with a bad microphone at that), the whole track is lifeless. Get a good mic, get some real instruments or better synths, and keep working.

Meanness: What's with the techno grooves this week? I skipped forward through the song a bit to see if the boring beat would change, but it didn't. This is pretty lame.

RMosquito: This is badass. It saddens me that such an entertaining track is essentially karioke. Still fun, though.

Ross Durand: Record at a lower level, please. Jesus. Pretty good playing, that's a nice vintage guitar sound you're getting. If this were mixed right, it would be retro-groovy as hell. But the levels are really killing me. Also, I want to hear some slide, damnit.

The Sober Irishman: Another 'Sunday at 3am' track. I'd have liked to have done more lead vocal takes, but I was about to die and stuff. Yeah, I know it sounds like Lean on Me and Bridge Over Troubled Water. Rather, those songs should have sounded more like mine :P This was fun.

SOS: What's that synth patch from? The vocals are almost as balls-out as I like them. The guitar tone could be better. Tri-tones are fun! Damn what your teacher said about locrian! Cool track.

Stephen Bellinski: This is quite pretty, it's a shame the recording is god-fucking awful. Back away from the mic, get a pop filter, or learn not to pop your plosive syllables. Have you submitted before? This seems very much like a 'first track ever.' There's a weird ringing in your acoustic, it's really fucking annoying. Put a napkin or something under the strings at the headstock, that might help. Or get a better guitar. Decent effort.

Wreckdom: The vocals are a little buried. I like the break. Pretty cool track.

X-Tokyo-River-God: This is quite horrible. Really, the beat doesn't even loop right. Nice obviously-sampled guitar. Please, go work on your 'music' for a few months until you have stuff you wouldn't mind playing for a girl you really like. If you'd be too embarassed to let her hear it, please don't send it to Songfight.

Well, that's what I'd call a songfight by the books. Lots of techno wankery, a smidgeon of mic farting, some guy n' guitar, and a few decent tracks. Then there's me. Whatever that is. *cue erik: "You suck, that's what (omg I totally burned him! my self esteem grows stronger every day!)"

Yeah, I think I'm gonna vote for SOS
🤠
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

wow thanks sober.. i knew i could count on you to.. STAND BY ME.
nyjm
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: acoustic guitar, electric guitar, synth, various MIDI instruments
Recording Method: Reaper, Line 6 POD, GLS Audio 57 and 58
Submitting as: noah mclaughlin, Ford's Theater Disaster, Juliet's Happy Dagger

Post by nyjm »

dead rutherford
- i like noisy beginnings...
- ...but i like them better when they evolve into real songs and not just continue into more noise
- the pause is quite dramatic, actually, but the only sucessful part of the song

easy l
- interesting mix of harmonica and guitar
- what's with the lame rhyming?
- the panned vocals don't do it for me; they're usually too disparate to compliment each other

id3 tag
- funny name
- everybody! "take me out to the ball game, oh take me out to the crowd..."
- the buzzing bit is really quite annoying; and it never stops

meanness
- i like the snaky guitar line
- why are you singing from the bathroom?
- this never really goes anywhere

r. mosquito
- a clarinette?! cool!
- sounds like something from dreamwork's "anatasia", especially with the chorus
- your voice actually goes well with this register; it still reminds me of pink floyd somewhat

ross durand
- this doesn't have the polish of your other productions; sounds more like a demo than a finished song
- nice guitar work; can you give me lessons?
- love the ending! haha!

sober irishman
- i'm really a sucker for gospel music and this isn't bad
- "tell me that i'm gonna be a man?" i detect irony...
- that electric guitar comes out of left field, but isn't unwelcome
- seems unfinished

sonofsupercar
- the chorus rocks out nicely
- but, i think there's more potential here; this tune should soar, but it certainly flies well

stephen bellinski
- recorded live? i would like to have more vox; it sounds like you're singing from a box
- there's something about the interaction of your voice and the guitar that works really well, but i'm wondering if you can keep this up for nearly 6 minutes...
- ... not really. could use some backing vocals and more lead guitar and maybe a nice cello or piano

wreckdom
- oh these lyrics are hilarious! why not sing them?
- haha! "do not pass go. do not collect $200. go straight to hell!" haha!
- funny, but where does it go?

x-tokyo-river-god
- like the vocals: the melody and especially the effect
- it lacks rhythm, or rather, a steady one
- sounds like another demo
"You sound like the ghost of David Bowie." - SchlimminyCricket | it was a pleasure to burn | my website | Juliet's Happy Dagger
Sober
Ice Cream Man

Post by Sober »

blue wrote:wow thanks sober.. i knew i could count on you to.. STAND BY ME.
Oh yeah, that one too. :idea:
🤠
reve
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Soldering iron.
Recording Method: Reaper.
Submitting as: R., Chth*.*, etc.

Post by reve »

TSI wrote:It saddens me that such an entertaining track is essentially karioke.
Eh? Whachoo talkin' about Willis? I didn't lift the music from somewhere, if that's what you're implying. It's just an assload of synthesizers. And IzoTope vinyl.
-- reve mosquito.
tonetripper
Mean Street
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Guitar, Drums, Sitar, Theremin, Lap Steel, Djembe
Recording Method: Cubase 6, Live 7, Reason 5, UAD 2, MOTU Ultralite, Mackie 1620i onyx
Submitting as: tonetripper, redcar, gert, draft and others

Post by tonetripper »

Sober, what's with the blatant ripoff of Lean On Me? Did you do that on purpose or is this a song you've not heard before? Pretty damn close to the orig buddy.
Sober
Ice Cream Man

Post by Sober »

Reve: Fooled me. Job well done, then.

TT: Many people would say that any two songs within one genre sound the same. I'm aware that my song is reminiscent of a few other songs, but don't accuse me of ripping anything off.
Yeah, I know it sounds like Lean on Me and Bridge Over Troubled Water. Rather, those songs should have sounded more like mine Razz
No, I've never heard that song before in my life, TT. Is that a Green Day song? Jesus Christ. :roll:
🤠
Bolio
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Piano, Keyboards, Guitar, Saxophone, Triangle
Recording Method: "The Golden Age of Cakewalk"
Submitting as: Bolio

Post by Bolio »

tonetripper wrote:Sober, what's with the blatant ripoff of Lean On Me?
Jesus Christ. Listened many times. The chorus has a hint of the 'Stand By Me' piano cadence. At most. And since the rest of the song sounds nothing like 'stand by me', I think it's kind of cool that it's like that.

Ben E King is not running out to get a lawyer. This is not even CLOSE to being a ripoff. On the positive side Sober, if you want someone to listen to your song, just have some idiot claim it's a 'Blatant Ripoff' & watch the hits pile up...... :)
tonetripper wrote:Pretty damn close to the orig buddy
Now I'm think you were joking. You must have been. Nobody's ear can use a cleaning that badly.
I may not know karate, but I know KA-RAZY! -James Brown |Bolio on SoundCloud
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

it definately has enough "passing similarity" that i think most people would be able to make the comparison. you kinda have to listen past the vocal melody in the opening verse to realize the song underneath is totally different. (and pretty good)
EightLeggedOedipus
Push Comes to Shove

Post by EightLeggedOedipus »

Dead Rutherford
--- There's a reason you're dead. Learn to live with it. ---

Easy L
/// This has the makings of a sweet ass teen-pop song but it's all really awkward and off beat. ///
--- And then you put in some foofoo vocals. ---
+++ Oh my god it's sarcasm about Scott Peterson! +++
/// What's with "rock ... ERR" ? If you had to use that rhyme, it should have been in the middle of the verse, not at the end. ///

Id3 Tag
/// I made this song once. haven't we all? I think it was titled "MIDI software demo song that I sang on." Oh but that had liek some cheesy trumpet solo in it, too. ///

The Meanness
+++ Oh shit that's wicked! +++
--- Oh but who's that wailing in the bathroom over there? Tell him to pinch it off and wipe. And shut the door, it <a href="http://songfight.net/forums/viewtopic.p ... >smells</a>. ---

R. Mosquito
+++ SF's favorite genre-jumper hits Danny Elfman over the head and scores a Tim Burton cartoon. +++

Ross Durand
+++ The Durand with the condenser microphone records a standard blues GnG that's more than not-half-bad +++
--- Lose points for being a little too Christian for me ---

The Sober Irishman
+++ Oh my fucking god this has SOUL +++
--- Guitar solo seems interruptive. I know what you were goign for, but it could be mixed lower and be brought in with a little bit of premonition. Reverse the track, add thick reverb to the last 3 seconds, then reverse it back. ---

sonofsupercar
--- That electronic worm is really annoying. He keeps crawlign through my head. ---
+++ I like the vocals on this again. Not a superb singer, but a great performance. +++
--- Rhythm is kind of loose. I think it's in the bass. ---
+++ Second time hearing the chorus guitar and it's a really sweet wicked riff +++

Stephen Bellinski
--- Im so bored at 20 seconds I don't think i can listen to the rest ---

WreckdoM
+++ "The apostle Mark and Joan of Arc are gettin' it on at the trailer park" +++
--- That telephone sound is a bitch. ---
/// The sermon samples are funny, but don't quite cut it as a chorus. Also let the ending ring out another few seconds ///

x-tokyo-river-god
+++ Thanks for trying to sing. +++
--- Sorry it didn't work out this time. The vocal line trips over the beat. It might have worked if the bass was a happy medium between drum and vocal, but it's not. I like the bass rhythm though. Might work if you redo the drums to match the bass and then sing over that. You'll coem out a lot tighter. And tighter is better. Ask Michael Jackson. ---
/// I'm talking about the music, man. Not the little boys, you sicko! ///

Oh, here's the part where we vote. Um... Sober by a hundred yards or so.
<a href="http://www.mbeanis.com/0.html">Understand</a> my reviews. Voted best auto-wrecking record of 2005! "<a href="http://www.thedrinks.net/"><b>The Drinks</a></b>' - Grr!" available now.
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

Bolio wrote:
tonetripper wrote:Sober, what's with the blatant ripoff of Lean On Me?
Jesus Christ. Listened many times. The chorus has a hint of the 'Stand By Me' piano cadence. At most. And since the rest of the song sounds nothing like 'stand by me', I think it's kind of cool that it's like that.

Ben E King is not running out to get a lawyer. This is not even CLOSE to being a ripoff. On the positive side Sober, if you want someone to listen to your song, just have some idiot claim it's a 'Blatant Ripoff' & watch the hits pile up...... :)
tonetripper wrote:Pretty damn close to the orig buddy
Now I'm think you were joking. You must have been. Nobody's ear can use a cleaning that badly.
Clean your monitor. He said "Lean on Me", not "Stand by Me". This sounds nothing like "Stand by Me". It sounds everything like "Lean on Me".
EightLeggedOedipus
Push Comes to Shove

nyjm wrote:-meanness
- why are you singing from the bathroom?
I totally didn't see this insult was already used. Sorry for the reptition.
<a href="http://www.mbeanis.com/0.html">Understand</a> my reviews. Voted best auto-wrecking record of 2005! "<a href="http://www.thedrinks.net/"><b>The Drinks</a></b>' - Grr!" available now.
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

The Sober Irishman wrote:Reve: Fooled me. Job well done, then.

TT: Many people would say that any two songs within one genre sound the same. I'm aware that my song is reminiscent of a few other songs, but don't accuse me of ripping anything off.
Why can't someone accuse you of ripping off a song when you were aware of the song, Lean on Me, whose melody your song is nearly identical to on the choruses (or whatever you are calling the first section)? If you hadn't heard of Lean on Me, that would be one thing. But you yourself say it sounds like that song. What would you call it, if not "ripping off"?
Bolio
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Piano, Keyboards, Guitar, Saxophone, Triangle
Recording Method: "The Golden Age of Cakewalk"
Submitting as: Bolio

Post by Bolio »

erikb wrote:Clean your monitor. He said "Lean on Me", not "Stand by Me".
There it is, 'Lean on Me.' 8) sometimes I miss coffee.
I may not know karate, but I know KA-RAZY! -James Brown |Bolio on SoundCloud
Ross
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Vox, Bass, Tuned glasses, etc...
Recording Method: Logic on a Macbook.
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Ross Durand - St. Peter

Post by Ross »

EightLeggedOedipus wrote: Ross Durand
Did you listen to the last verse?
tonetripper
Mean Street
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Guitar, Drums, Sitar, Theremin, Lap Steel, Djembe
Recording Method: Cubase 6, Live 7, Reason 5, UAD 2, MOTU Ultralite, Mackie 1620i onyx
Submitting as: tonetripper, redcar, gert, draft and others

Post by tonetripper »

The Sober Irishman wrote:Reve: Fooled me. Job well done, then.

Yeah, I know it sounds like Lean on Me and Bridge Over Troubled Water. Rather, those songs should have sounded more like mine Razz
No, I've never heard that song before in my life, TT. Is that a Green Day song? Jesus Christ. :roll:
The Sober Irishman wrote:The Sober Irishman: Another 'Sunday at 3am' track. I'd have liked to have done more lead vocal takes, but I was about to die and stuff. Yeah, I know it sounds like Lean on Me and Bridge Over Troubled Water. Rather, those songs should have sounded more like mine :P This was fun.
pardon.......
a cock says what?...........
:lol:
i love you man......[/quote]
reve
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Soldering iron.
Recording Method: Reaper.
Submitting as: R., Chth*.*, etc.

Post by reve »

Welp, just to throw my two cents into this week's raging plagerism debate (re: TSI):

I'm with Bolio. I don't see it.

*Shrug*
-- reve mosquito.
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

reve wrote:Welp, just to throw my two cents into this week's raging plagerism debate (re: TSI):

I'm with Bolio. I don't see it.

*Shrug*
great job sober. i don't see it either.

i'm sure if anyone listens hard enough, they can hear alot of other songs that use similar chord progressions too. :roll:

if someone is giving you that discerning a listen, i guess you should count your blessings.

*jesus, who fucked up this thread....not me.
Hi!
EightLeggedOedipus
Push Comes to Shove

Re: Ross Durand - St. Peter

rdurand wrote:
EightLeggedOedipus wrote: Ross Durand
Did you listen to the last verse?
Uh, it went through my ears once, but I didn't really comprehend it. Goddamn Americans, huh. Although unlike most Americans, I can read and I didn't find "Saint Peter" <a href="http://www.songfight.net/forums/viewfor ... 5">here</a> at all. For Christ's sake... "Pasty White Man" has two threads. (For Pete's sake?)
Ron_
A New Player

I goofed

Post by Ron_ »

I submitted my entry to the wrong e-mail address, so I'm not in this week's competition. I'd still like some feedback, if you would be so kind:

Saint Peter (2.3MB)

Thanks.