ONE DOLLAR BOB!!!! (Brand New Car Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Phil. Redmon.
Mean Street
Instruments: guitars
Recording Method: Reaper
Submitting as: Abominominous, The Hell Yeahs, Spy Vs. Pie

Post by Phil. Redmon. »

MintyHandy wrote:the classic (at least in-utero) improvised song written and performed to them on the day I learned their ear buds were developing, called "Welcome To Your Ears".
Andy Balham
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar, bass, ukulele and drums
Recording Method: Reaper, Guitar Rig LE, Edirol FA-66
Submitting as: Andy Balham, Bobby Davros, The Masters of Grip, MC Heapey

Post by Andy Balham »

Part II of III ...

The Hell Yeahs
As ever the music and voice go so well together and there is an interesting story underpinning the song. And as always it's just short enough for me to be wanting more. I shall add it to my THY folder forthwith...

Hostess Mostess
Beautiful hypnotic feel to this. Reminds me of Talking Heads 'Remain In Light'. My only quibble is the high pitched voice towards the end, it just jerks me out of my altered state.

King Arthur
Bonus point for using the phrase 'Ladies Night'. It's not the most original of takes on the title, but it's marvellously well crafted and most enjoyable. Thanks for making me smile once more.

LMNOP
Bonus points for using the word Voodoo. From the point of view of someone that struggles to hit one note accurately, this is mightily impressive. The words are excellent too. Thankyou SongFight for making me appreciate barber shop quartets.

Lonbobby
I enjoyed this one a lot too. It really reminded me of Air, I suspect the vocal effect is the same as they use. In fact just at that moment I thought 'This is like Air', you sang the word 'air'. Serendipity or soemthing.

Luke Henley
Left me a little cold. The basic music was pleasant enough, but the scratching was just irritating.

Minty Handy
Lovely song. The only down bit for me was when I misheard 'direction' as 'erection' which kind of ruined the mood temporarily. Still, it's beautifully crafted and makes me wonder whether the sparse arrangement suits it more than a fuller one
"Some may say I couldn't sing, but none may say I didn't sing" - Florence Foster Jenkins
MintyHandy
Mean Street
Instruments: None
Recording Method: None

Post by MintyHandy »

when I misheard 'direction' as 'erection'
Mishear me once, shame on you; mishear me twice, shame on me. That makes two of you, and believe it or not I have another (non-songfight) song with a similar lyric commonly misheard as 'erection'. So going forward, I am banishing the word "direction" from my songwriting vocabulary, and will consequently submit my songs under the name "No Direction".

That is all. :)
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

One is reminded of the classic 'misdirection' mis-hear in '30 seconds over Tokyo" by Pere Ubu. good company!
SaxManRunning!
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by SaxManRunning! »

deshead, hell yeahs, hostess mostess and king arthur, I have missed you all so much. Never leave me again!

This fight is so hot this week, I just got a new car too! You guys have made my weeks, thanks alot ladies and gents, maybe even reviews from the saxman this week, we'll see!
desolation radio
A New Player

Post by desolation radio »

MintyHandy wrote: Desolation Radio
those movie samples; what movie is it?
i hesitantly state the the samples are from the flick joyride circa 1976 public domain (http://www.archive.org/details/joy_ride). i'm hesitant because we didn't do it the justice it deserves plus it has a good soundtrack to begin with. actually i was just searching for some car screeches and feel in love with the thing.
MintyHandy wrote: Desolation Radio
if your vocal had been more of a shrill, insane scream than a deep, throaty mumble, I'd have enjoyed it a lot more.
that was my originally idea but my neighbors begged to differ and sense i started this at 11pm on sun. i had to do what i had to do.

i know we are worlds apart musically and the like but we appreciate and value your input. thank you
not everyone is going to like, understand or care about what you've recorded. some people are polite listeners, some will stroll away during playback, some will talk, some will tell you who you sound like, and a precious few will ask to hear it again
desolation radio
A New Player

Post by desolation radio »

HANK. wrote: desolation radio
- this makes me want to die.
would that be such a bad thing hank?
not everyone is going to like, understand or care about what you've recorded. some people are polite listeners, some will stroll away during playback, some will talk, some will tell you who you sound like, and a precious few will ask to hear it again
Mostess
Panama
Instruments: Vocal, guitar, keyboard, clarinet
Recording Method: Ardour 5, JACK, Ubuntu
Submitting as: Hostess Mostess
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Mostess »

desolation radio wrote: would that be such a bad thing hank?
Oh for God's sake, take it like an adult, ya big baby.
"We don’t write songs about our own largely dull lives. We mostly rely on the time-tested gimmick of making shit up."
-John Linnell
Stevie Windsor
A New Player

Post by Stevie Windsor »

Whilst I’m sitting and waiting to find out who our new rulers are going to be, I shall turn my attention to the other main competition of the week.

Posi TractionFeels like we're back in the early 70's. Slow burning blues metal, This is great stuff but vocals need to be louder in the mix, I'd also bring up the bass a bit, make it fatter. Cool break at 1.40

LMNOP Brilliantly done barber shop, can't fault it. Not really my style though.

Minty Handy Sung well, toe tapping tune. (this is a good fight!) Turn up the ukulele or whatever it is, the song really merits a full band arrangement.

Noise Brigade Not the sound I was expecting from a band of that name. Ok effort, but not too sure about the voice or the occasional slightly ragged timing on the guitar playing.

Titans of Eletrko-Clash I love the moody verses but it loses it in the transition to the fast middle section where the vocals don’t seem to match up with the rhythm.

Steve Durand Its not often we get real trumpet (it is a real trumpet isnt it?) so kudos to you. Catchy tune.

Baron Von Smith Yet another catchy tune. Instrumentation reminds me slightly of mid 80s New Order. The synths saturate the song too much. I preferred the bit at the end when you pared down to the piano.

LonLobby I can admire the production quality and it starts out quite intriguingly, but it doesn’t develop enough to hold my attention and in the end is a bit boring.

Tuba Toothpaste Cool song, even though its not anywhere near my genre tastes. Guitar solo appears slightly out in timing. Love the guitar solo and the sax at the end.

Andy Balham Not your best Andy, although after a few listens I’m starting to like it more. The verse is quite interesting but I still think the chorus feels a tad awkward and I can’t figure out why. I think it might have benefited from having either a really slow or really fast tempo.

Brick Pig Too much of a standard blues progression and basic instrumentation to hold the interest all the way through the song. Good vocals though.

Hell Yeahs This is even better then the last song I heard from you (Systematic Panic) and I loved that. Fantastic vox, guitars, drums, Hell Yeah. vote

Motor Monkeys(us) Apart from my usual naff lyrics, really pleased with how this turned out. Thanks to Andy Balham for the middle 8 lyric and explaining the critical importance of a lim slip diff.

Luke Henley What’s with the coughing early on? This was the only song in the fight that really didn’t seem to offer anything interesting.

Ross Durand Pleasant song, well sung. Guitar rhythm is a bit basic but it suits the song. Can’t really think of much else to say on this.

Desolation Radio From the first 10 seconds I didn’t think I would like this but its actually pretty cool, it sounds so much better with headphones. Only thing that seems out of place in the mix is the guitar. Seems to be coming a common theme of ending these songs with a car crash.

Explino I really like this, its probably just about the best song in the fight, and would like it a lot more but I think it’s the rigid drumming with the tinny cymbals that’s marking it down a few places.

Hans Gruber Passed me by a bit at first, but I was intrigued just enough to give it a second listen and it grew on me. Nice harmonica, a minute shorter would be nice though.

Hostess Mostess Clever vocalisation, taking the part of the bass line, percussion, and other instrumentation. The build up of voices is spectacular, clever and impressive, with different sounds constantly weaving in and out. But in the end it’s a track that’s easier to admire then love.

King Arthur Wow, this fight has produced so many different classic genre styles, This sounds absolutely professional Saturday night bar music, albeit a bit derivative.

Deshead Great songwriting, production and cool guitar tones, as we've come to expect. This is one of your best yet. Only quibble is I’d have like the build up at 2.20 to have come along earlier and lasted longer as it really lifts the song.

--------
As returning official I declare the final count for the constituency of Songfight as follows.....

1 Hell Yeahs
2 Deshead
3 Explino
4 Steve Durand
5 Posi Traction

I usually list all the tracks I like in order but this fight had so many great songs that I've just done a top 5, but just about all the other songs were strong candidates. Big up to everyone who took part.
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin
Pronouns: he/him

Post by roymond »

Some feedback from the bridge:

<b>Brick Pig</b> - Nice to hear you again! This carries your signature authenticism (what?) and warm charm. It's not about the car, it's about what happens in the car. Well done.

<b>Deshead</b> - Well produced, I like the presence of the guitars. Well placed vocals and lead guitar in the mix. Like the build up throughout. I don't have any real criticisms. Thanks.

<b>Desolation Radio</b> - Cute arrangement. Sort of a Tom Cruise starter sound track. And just as predictable. Production and the guitar riffs are well done. Like those guitar riffs. The bass carries the story line, though.

<b>Hans Gruber</b> - Great groove, this. Vocals and piano/bass are in the right space. And very nice guitar work. Very nice. What's the mic situation here? The harp is awesome. Just how much more Beck can we possibly be? Not much. I love that it's so laid back, yet talkin all "just going faster in my car". Almost assured my vote.

<b>The Hell Yeahs</b> - "I'm cute and harmless", "Bullet holes and a trunk full of bodies" - these are priceless, driving this baby down. Sadly not quite hard enough in the rawk to match the sentiment. Maybe I just need to turn it up louder?

<b>Hostess</b> - Your vocal arrangements just kill me. Sinister and sweet simultaneously. Love the build up and the dissonant cacophony that sounds like car horns on the expressway...uh...freeway.

<b>LonBobby</b> - Ambient groove rock gets another awesome entry. "My brand new song...will leave my body" is nice imagery. Having grown up on Eno I often attempt the ambient space, which always proves far too difficult for me. You nail it and consistantly capture it uniquely. I guess this is more a rave than a review. Thanks!

<b>Luke Henley</b> - You could have put anything over that loop and acheived the same regardless, as long as you gave it enough space to seep through. Which you did.

<b>Motor Monkeys</b> - I rarely suggest more reverb but the lead vocals need a bit of dark, short reverb/delay. Then cut it for the spoken break. Love the chorus. Fun! Weak ending, though.

<b>Steve Durand</b> - Love your horn arrangements. Always welcome. This is full and groovin. Thanks.

<b>Monty Handy</b> - Uke seduction at it's best. Like the hyper shaker mixed low. The C section offers a surprising and welcome change up. Well done.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
HANK.
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by HANK. »

The Hell Yeahs:
- If these are programmed drums, amazing. It's well written, sounds predictable to me, but most stuff in the genre does. Though, like most stuff that sounds predictable, ask me to write something along those lines... impossible. Good effort. Holy chit, I just won $100 on a scratch ticket.
Gaining mass like a lumberjack and knocking down trees.
Heather. Redmon.
Mean Street
Instruments: Vox
Submitting as: The Hell Yeahs
Pronouns: She/her

Post by Heather. Redmon. »

Awesome! We're good luck! Thanks for the revisit Hank!
jack wrote:heather is the hardest working mom on songfight (in addition to being arguably the rockinist chick....).
Listen to our music!
deshead
Panama

Post by deshead »

Heather. Redmon. wrote:Awesome! We're good luck!
The Hell Yeahs:
Best Part: "but I don't think you wanna wanna"
Man, there's no head-bangin' smiley. I need a graphical way to show much much this song rocks! Words ain't cuttin' it.
deshead
Panama

Post by deshead »

Crap. Two lemons and a freakin' cherry. You suck Hank.
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

I voted for the Hell Yeahs, but I also rocked to The Motor Monkeys, Luke Henley and Lonbobby this time round ... if I get time I will review
j$
HANK.
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by HANK. »

Crap. Two lemons and a freakin' cherry. You suck Hank
Sounds like hi time to make a crafty 'nothin' in the house" bevvy.
Gaining mass like a lumberjack and knocking down trees.
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

Dear Andy Balham,

TUNE.

Thank you.
Andy Balham
Push Comes to Shove

Post by Andy Balham »

blue wrote:TUNE.
Verb or noun?
"Some may say I couldn't sing, but none may say I didn't sing" - Florence Foster Jenkins
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

verb! i may be crazy, but it sounded like your voice, guitar, and/or bass were all playing in different tunings.
Andy Balham
Push Comes to Shove

Post by Andy Balham »

blue wrote:verb!
Just checking what usage, as the vocal is certainly a little lacking in the tune department and you may have been trying to remind me that songs usually have a tune.
blue wrote:i may be crazy, but it sounded like your voice, guitar, and/or bass were all playing in different tunings.
You may be crazy, you have my permission. On the tuning front, there's little someone like me can do for someone as sensitive as yourself, yet. As things stand, I simply cannot hear what riles you so. Thanks for the attention though.
Andy Balham
Push Comes to Shove

Post by Andy Balham »

Part III of III...

Andy Balham
Thanks to J$ for the lyrics. I struggled to find the tempo for this and that may be what doesn't sit right for me. I like bits and pieces of it, but the overall feeling is too leaden. Still, got to use the phrase 'dogging'.

Baron Von Smith
Nice 80's feel going on. This is well constructed, but the verse and the chorus are a little too similar for me. I like the breakdown at the end.

Brick Pig
The music is somewhat formulaic, but well executed. As is the lyrical idea to some extent. I enjoyed the ride, but than again I'm a bit of a sucker for the blues.

Deshead
Another immaculately put together recording. As it was with JW, I find myself admiring the craft greatly whilst finding myself not quite drawn in. I look forward to you being angry.

Desolation Radio
Quite interesting on first listen, but palls somewhat on repeat listens. I would have liked a little more of musical interest to back up the samples.

Explino!
I like the little sounds effects going on behind the guitars. This is good fun. The 'brand new friends' lyrical idea is a nice touch too.

Hans Gruber: Ultimate Villain
It's kind of late here and I've had a few glasses of wine, so this is currently going down a treat. I like the Beck-style harmonica break. This has a whole feel to it. A little long for my tastes, but that's a minor quibble. The whistling was a brave idea too.

A lot of strong entries in a large old fight. I'll pare down the list of possible votes tomorrow, but THYs are probably the favourite at the moment.
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

Andy Balham wrote:You may be crazy, you have my permission. On the tuning front, there's little someone like me can do for someone as sensitive as yourself, yet. As things stand, I simply cannot hear what riles you so. Thanks for the attention though.
i'd be curious to hear you do a song with just straight notes on the bass, guitar, and vocal line. it might be your guitar chord phrasings. on this song, tho, i think it's the bass. whatever it is, it almost always ruins your songs for me.

J$ has been tasked with kicking you in the nuts every time he sees you until things sound better. He's like a hitman - for nuts. Your nuts.