Shit Sandwich (Spinal Tap Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Albatross
KING OF THE FORUMS
KING OF THE FORUMS
Instruments: Bass, drums, guitar, hand farts
Recording Method: Firewire 1814, Sonar X1
Submitting as: Albatross, Primitive Screwheads

Shit Sandwich (Spinal Tap Reviews)

Post by Albatross »

This fight will sound great in "Dobly"...
Last edited by Albatross on Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

This thread should soooo have been called 'Shit Sandwich' :)
Albatross
KING OF THE FORUMS
KING OF THE FORUMS
Instruments: Bass, drums, guitar, hand farts
Recording Method: Firewire 1814, Sonar X1
Submitting as: Albatross, Primitive Screwheads

Post by Albatross »

Touche.
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

Hahahaha!
Fusty Nut
A New Player

Shit Sandwich!

Post by Fusty Nut »

So if money talks and bullshit walks, am I to infer that a lot of walkin' will be going on in this thread?

I'm just waiting for someone's drummer to explode.
Anne
The Nutwalls

"A fusty nut with no kernel."
-Troilus and Cressida, 2.1
ecnalubmA
A New Player

spinal crap

Post by ecnalubmA »

im hexa mad, thats right HEXA!!!, we sent in a submission and it isnt on the site what gives, i know its not for quality reasons, and it couldnt have been too late, and to whomever sampled the movie, everyone thought of that first thing, i mean c'mon man try a little harded, its to obvious, goes to 11
oh whatever
chucky
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Location: North Bay, Ontario, Canada, North America, Northern Hemisphere, Earth

Post by chucky »

Short fight this week.

Brandon E> Nice, clean sound. The lyrics come across clearly and everything is produced beautifully. This is damn, damn good. A good start.

Extra Credit> This is me. All I can say is that, as usual, my vocals suck but I'm pretty pleased with the rest of it. I liked Jamie's lyrics. He might write another this week.

Johnny Cashpoint> Nice. This is nice and scary. The hi hat is a bit loud, which could have been intentional, but it kind of throws me off. Also that really chunky guitar in the chorus could stand to be a bit louder. Great song though.

Sad Big Eden> I like the guitar in this; and the drums are kind of rockin'. Not the most original idea, sampling Spinal Tap; but it was fun to listen to. There is a fine line between stupid and clever. The music does rock though.

Shovel Sitting Down> Fun and rockin', can't quite make out all the words without reading them, but they're great. My only complaint is that this could use a little more low-end. It's awfully trebly. Still by far my favorite, at first listen.
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

chucky wrote: Johnny Cashpoint> The hi hat is a bit loud.
The drum loop is a sample from James Chance & the Contortions' 'Throw Me Away' so no control over that I'm afraid. I liked the groove and didn't notice the hi-hat ...

j$
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

Brandon E - the second half of the verse riff seems very familiar. Still, very pretty, like a coarse Turin Brakes. The twist on the title is a little forced - it feels like it's been shoe-horned into a song that's not really about spinal taps, or tapping spines, or Spinal Tap. still who am I to speak? Slightly bored by 2.30ish but it is a pretty song and i imagine it will do very well, just not mah bagg.

Extra Credit - the lyrics are great to this (from reading them in the thread - I wouldn't have picked up their cleverness through the mix, which while not at all bad, isn't lyric-friendly). And the bass is wacky cool. A little too loose for me, I love loose, but not this loose - I can't find anything to get hold of. i am so vanilla when it comes to my 'experimental' music! Overall = cool it sounds like my one and only acid trip!

Johnny Cashpoint is me

Sad Big Eden - You know what I'm going to say, Eddie, don't you? I love your music and I wish your cool singing voice was all over this, usually I think your humour is a bit broad - that having said, you might be able to be able to pull off a win with this one, in fact you ought to, given you are the most old school metal man on songfight :) Very cute, very funny, but I don't think i'd listen to it again in a hurry.

Shovel Sitting Down - Personally i don't like the chorus anywhere as much as I like the verses. Sounds great - generally, if this doesn't win, I'll eat my hat. But I'm not going to vote for it

The only one I would rush to listen to again is Extra Credit (personal taste), so that's where my vote is going to go. Sorry, Chucky, I have a 0 to 100s hit ratio of voting for a winner .... it's a curse
chucky
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by chucky »

j$ wrote:Extra Credit And the bass is wacky cool. A little too loose for me, I love loose, but not this loose - I can't find anything to get hold of. i am so vanilla when it comes to my 'experimental' music! Overall = cool it sounds like my one and only acid trip!

Cool. I suck balls on bass. I thought it was more genre-hopping than experimental. Thanks though; I like acid, and I'm real glad you liked this song..
j$ wrote: Sorry, Chucky, I have a 0 to 100s hit ratio of voting for a winner .... it's a curse

Oh.... thanks?
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

Yeah, sorry about that. I mean, I'll vote for you because it's the best song in my opinion (apart from my own, obviously :)) but that probably means you'll come in 3rd. That's where my personal favourites usually end up!
chucky
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by chucky »

j$ wrote:Yeah, sorry about that. I mean, I'll vote for you because it's the best song in my opinion (apart from my own, obviously :)) but that probably means you'll come in 3rd. That's where my personal favourites usually end up!
Yeah I got it. But thanks for clearing that up. ;)
Noise Brigade
A New Player

Post by Noise Brigade »

Brandon E I enjoyed the vox and the lyrics (altough alittle creepy at times). The guitar lines are nice but alittle out of tune sometimes. All together i think you have a pretty nice song.

Extra Credit The vocals are, for the most part, unintelligeble. The thing I do like about your song is the synth lines. They fit alittle better than the guitar. For some reason i like the clapping...

Johnny Cashpoint The organ intro is a nice touch. This song has a nice groove to it; it gets into your head. The doubled vocals are good. The spoken parts aren't quite doing it for me though. Overall, a fairly catchy song.

Sad Big Eden The music is very hair metal-ish. Good production, but i still don't really like the music but that's just me. It's well written and all but i'm just not enjoying it, the tempo could possibly play a role into this (except the few tempo changes to change things up, they are nice). The Spinal Tap quotes are very well chosen and make the song somewhat humorous.

Shovel Sitting Down I like how this song kind of pushes itself into the chorus. The vocals are good and everything is well balanced. The chorus is probably my favorite part. The guitar, the lyrics, the drums, everything about it is so sleek. Good job on this song.

My Vote: Shovel Sitting Down :!:
Waging Wars on Crack Whores
EightLeggedOedipus
Push Comes to Shove

Post by EightLeggedOedipus »

<b>Brandon E</b>
+++ Sweet chorus from 1:30... +++
--- Backing/doubled vocals are really loose. I would have done a fullmix and listened to that a while before recording the backing. ---

<b>Extra Credit</b>
+++ You've got that drug-impaired squatter voice liek Tim Armstrong. I like the whole feel +++
--- Melodically wack. What's that keyboard chord in the thrid and fourth lines of each chorus? ---

<b>Johnny Cashpoint</b>
+++ OMG that bass/drum is badass. And then it cuts out just at teh right point. +++
--- The first vocal line doesn't quite drape right. Try some different phrasings. ---
/// I don't see what's funny about the seriousness. ///
--- Telephone effected line is also unrhythmic ---

<b>Sad Big Eden</b>
+++ Dual guitar intro. +++
--- It's all an intro. Where's the singing? ---
+++ OK, not all an intro, but lacks an awesome middle +++

<b>Shovel Sitting Down</b>
+++ I love Cameron's little timpani sample, and the drum programming. Bass is nice, of course. I had fun flowing silly again. +++
--- Yeah, the EQ is not right. I've never been good with that. I tried to bring the vocals up to compensate, but they still get very buried somehow. Double-track is too loose around "aphrodisiac." ---
/// I thought I'd be in the minority by NOT writing about the greatest heavy metal band of all time. Boy was I wrong. Props to everyone for creativity ///
<a href="http://www.mbeanis.com/0.html">Understand</a> my reviews. Voted best auto-wrecking record of 2005! "<a href="http://www.thedrinks.net/"><b>The Drinks</a></b>' - Grr!" available now.
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

EightLeggedOedipus wrote:/// I don't see what's funny about the seriousness. ///
Ah, that's ok then. What I was worried about - I am singing a song about a man who shrinks himself down and clambers inside his girlfriend via a spinal tap, so that he can spy on her thoughts, only to discover he can't get out and (at song's end) starts to expand ... well, that's intrisically absurd, and playing it straight is even absurder :) I'm glad that the lyric wasn't too intrusive.
chucky
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by chucky »

EightLeggedOedipus wrote: <b>Extra Credit</b>
+++ You've got that drug-impaired squatter voice liek Tim Armstrong. I like the whole feel +++
--- Melodically wack. What's that keyboard chord in the thrid and fourth lines of each chorus? ---
Okay.. Cool @ Tim Armstrong; though I never would've though so (And still don't). To tell you the truth, I don't remember what the chord is; the keyboard line is actually programmed; and something I made months ago. It got thrown in at the last minte because I thought I needed something more at that spot.
Dan-O from Five-O
Panama
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Drums, Mandolin all graded on a sliding scale
Recording Method: Mixer to a Fostex D-160

Post by Dan-O from Five-O »

Brandon E: The guitar sounds a little too bassy, as though you had the gain up too high or the mic too close. Maybe the mic just sucks. The point is working on that one little thing would have me enjoying this a lot more. I’m liking the chord changes, and your vocals are pleasant even if it’s a little hard to discern the lyrics at times. You should really try to sync up those doubled parts, the millisecond difference is kind of distracting. This is a pretty good song that just needs some tweaking for my taste. It’s like the start of a good recipe that someone just eyeballed the measurements on.

Extra Credit: That’s one of the worst guitar sounds I’ve heard in quite a while. I can’t really tell what’s going on in your mix for all the heavy effecting going on. Whatever it is, it isn’t good. The vocals are way to buried, making it nearly impossible to tell if this has merit based on lyrics. From what I can tell, I’ll go out on a limb and say it doesn’t. The structure of the song is so discombobulated that it reminds me of someone’s piss poor directions. You end up driving all over Hell’s half acre not going anywhere in particular and missing the party altogether. Your extra credit was a failure mister, looks like you better get ready for summer school.

Johnny Cashpoint: The church organ at the beginning gives the song a late night scary movie feel right off the bat, the perfect mood for a Spinal Tap. When the music comes in earnestly with the drums, heavy bass and guitars, it really works. Unfortunately, this early energy is lost as the song continues in a somewhat predictable fashion. Not predictable in a I, IV, V kind of way, just predictable for you. The vocals lack energy, I wish I would hear you really belt one out once. But most of the stuff of yours I’ve heard sounds like this vocally. Maybe it’s a British thing and maybe this is my American opinion. Or maybe you should step outside of your safe and secure style and really let it rip vocally. Musically, lyrically, and production wise, this is pretty good, and as you have been in recent weeks, you continue to improve.

Sad Big Eden: I wondered if someone would mix in a line from the movie; question answered. And it’s from one of my favorite scenes as well. I love Nigel, and his amp that goes to 11. And even though you’re using lines from the movie and the sound of an amp that goes to 11, with no lyrics this is essentially not a song in “SONGFIGHT!” terms. It’s an instrumental. Think of it this way, couldn’t you just make 10 a little louder? Put in some lyrics and that would be one more wouldn’t it?

Shovel Sitting Down: I’m running short of ways to say this, but the guitar sound isn’t good. Having said that I will admit that I’m pretty hard to please in that regard. To me though, there is such a huge difference between something that sounds like it was played through an amp, and something that sounds like it was played through a $125 guitar into some $250 software on a $1000 computer with some sort of plug-in trying to emulate an amp. Take the cheapest link in that chain, the $125 guitar, and I guarantee that’s exactly what your guitar will sound like every time. Cheap. As for the song itself, it has potential. A better production would help. The story itself is a little much for me. It sounds like you’re willing to do “X” through a Spinal Tap injection and take advantage of the first unsuspecting girl you come across. Good luck with that, it should take you far in life.

No real winner here as this was kind of a weak fight. No offense to those who participated because it was a tough title to work with, and you all tried to work with it. So congratulations for that much. If forced into a choice I guess Brandon and J$ top the list for me.
Last edited by Dan-O from Five-O on Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jb wrote:Dan-O has a point.
JB
chucky
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by chucky »

Dan-O from Five-O wrote: Extra Credit: The vocals are way to buried, making it nearly impossible to tell if this has merit based on lyrics. From what I can tell, I’ll go out on a limb and say it doesn’t.

http://songfight.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1151
Dan-O from Five-O
Panama
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Drums, Mandolin all graded on a sliding scale
Recording Method: Mixer to a Fostex D-160

Post by Dan-O from Five-O »

chucky wrote:
Dan-O from Five-O wrote: Extra Credit: The vocals are way to buried, making it nearly impossible to tell if this has merit based on lyrics. From what I can tell, I’ll go out on a limb and say it doesn’t.

http://songfight.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1151
Yeah I thought about that. But wouldn't you really rather someone HEAR your lyrics rather than having to go read them?

I will though and let you know what I think.

[EDIT] Well I guess that's why they call it going out on a limb, because it can break. After reading them, the lyrics are pretty clever, and I like the story a lot. I still don't like the song all that much, and the mix hurts the good lyrics.

Let me ask you this, the lyrics are suggesting a much different style to me. Would the author have an issue with me re-doing this song with those lyrics?
jb wrote:Dan-O has a point.
JB
chucky
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by chucky »

Probably not. I'll just tell you to go ahead; and if he complains we have this post to prove it's all my fault. :lol:
Ryan Rickenbach
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Ableton, Onyx Blackjack, MXL V67

Post by Ryan Rickenbach »

I present this thread with the "Best Title Ever" award. Every time I see "Shit Sandwhich" I just crack up.
Bolio
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Piano, Keyboards, Guitar, Saxophone, Triangle
Recording Method: "The Golden Age of Cakewalk"
Submitting as: Bolio
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Bolio »

Brandon E – I like the way the guitar line flows & the slow build of the song. Melody is very good, also kinda builds through the song. That last vocal harmony makes me cringe a little, but the rest isn’t that bad.

Extra Credit - Vocals mixed too quiet on the verses, can’t hear what you’re saying. The vocal style leaves a lot to be desired until you reach the Chorus, where it is actually pretty catchy. Good arrangement. I like how the bridge is vastly different (part with hand claps,) but the move back into the Chorus is awkward. Interesting enough, deserves a better mix.

Johnny $ - Song takes awhile to takeoff. Find myself enduring the verse to get to the cool chorus (verses would sound better if sung in time the whole way. Getting behind with that rhythm hurts this song imo.) Bridge is awesome, wish it went back to Chorus or something instead of ending there.

Sad Big Eden – Here is what I was expecting more of with this fight. Makes me wonder if the kids even know what ‘Spinal Tap’ is (One of the funniest movies ever & I got to even see them play Live a few years back on their ‘Break Like The Wind’ tour.) Samples are funny, guitar sounds really good, but would have rather had you add your own lyrical take on the subject.

Shovel Sitting Down – Don’t like the mix on this one. The cymbal sound gets annoying in the front like it is (turn down or EQ.) The melodies are cool, & the chorus has a nasty hook that will be going through my head all day. Would sound better with some peaks and valleys dynamically (maybe have the verse a little quieter, etc.)

My vote goes to Shovel Sitting Down
I may not know karate, but I know KA-RAZY! -James Brown |Bolio on SoundCloud