The Gift of Music (SF's Holiday Cover Challenge)

Discuss the many little competitions/projects that spring up amongst the Song Fight community.
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

Oct 25 is the deadline
mkilly
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar

Post by mkilly »

All right, I guess I'll do this and hope I can do something decently I guess.

1. Smashing Pumpkins - Muzzle
2. John Lennon - Real Love
3. Rilo Kiley - More Adventurous
4. Gladys Knight and the Pips - Midnight Train to Georgia

Naturally I'll provide mp3s if necessary.

Previous occupants of slot 2: Lisa Loeb's "Stay," which I think I'll cover myself 'cause of voice's encouragement, and Weezer's "El Scorcho."
Last edited by mkilly on Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"It is really true what philosophy tells us, that life must be understood backwards. But with this, one forgets the second proposition, that it must be lived forwards." Søren Kierkegaard
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

Welcome Marcus.

I just wanted to tell you that "El Scorcho" was done, not as a part of last year's GOM but as a result. Jute Gyte made an offer that if anyone covers Burzum from his list, he would cover a song of their choosing. Burzum was done and the result of Jute Gyte doing a murderous cover of "El Scorcho". You can check it out on somesongs.
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

Here are my 4 songs, FINALLY. I've been mulling this over for a long time. I'm sure I've put way, WAY too much thought into this. Anyway, the winners are:

The Shins - "The Past and Pending"
Original Cast from "Company" - "Barcelona"
The Drifters - "Up on the Roof"
Kitty Kallan & Harry James Orchestra - "I'm Beginning to See the Light"

Four totally kick-ass songs, if I do say so.

There will be links for all four songs, given to the coverer by Niveous.
Last edited by Jim of Seattle on Fri Oct 22, 2004 5:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mkilly
Ice Cream Man

Post by mkilly »

Niveous wrote:Welcome Marcus.

I just wanted to tell you that "El Scorcho" was done, not as a part of last year's GOM but as a result. Jute Gyte made an offer that if anyone covers Burzum from his list, he would cover a song of their choosing. Burzum was done and the result of Jute Gyte doing a murderous cover of "El Scorcho". You can check it out on somesongs.
all right. amended.
"It is really true what philosophy tells us, that life must be understood backwards. But with this, one forgets the second proposition, that it must be lived forwards." Søren Kierkegaard
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, vocals, bass, BIAB, keyboards (synth anything)
Recording Method: Tascam DP-24SD
Submitting as: King Arthur
Pronouns: he/him

Post by king_arthur »

jack shite wrote: ripple - the grateful dead
Jack - I'm not planning to be in the Challenge, but when I get a little time to work on it, I'll see what I can come up with for ya on this... or maybe I'll get adventurous and see if I do "Attics" justice...

Charles
"...one does not write in dactylic hexameter purely by accident..." - poetic designs
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

king_arthur wrote:
jack shite wrote: ripple - the grateful dead
Jack - I'm not planning to be in the Challenge, but when I get a little time to work on it, I'll see what I can come up with for ya on this... or maybe I'll get adventurous and see if I do "Attics" justice...

Charles
honestly, i would SO love to hear you cover this. attics would be good too. or maybe brokedown palace even. but i'd really love to hear you do ripple...i'll certainly send some hxaro love your way! :)
Hi!
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

mkilly wrote:hope I can do something decently I guess.

Lisa Loeb - Stay
marcus, now that you mention it, i can't think of a songfighter i'd like to cover this song more than you yourself :?
Rabid Garfunkel
Jump
Instruments: Absurdity
Recording Method: iPhone, GarageBand & rando apps/toys
Submitting as: OZYMANDIPUS, Rabid Garfunkel, Primitive Screwheads
Pronouns: that guy

Post by Rabid Garfunkel »

Chico wrote:The Neighbors - Jonathan Richman (it's a duet)
Did he do a version of this besides the one on the "Jonathan Goes Country" album?

And now I'm singing "Reno" and "Corner Store", heh. Rock!
"Urban cartoon music." -- Paco Del Stinko
Be my friend? --- Song of the Day
Chico
A New Player

Post by Chico »

Rabid Garfunkel wrote:
Chico wrote:The Neighbors - Jonathan Richman (it's a duet)
Did he do a version of this besides the one on the "Jonathan Goes Country" album?

And now I'm singing "Reno" and "Corner Store", heh. Rock!
There is another version, actually: The version on Jonathan Goes Country is a reworking of the one from Jonathan Sings!, though I like the "Country" version way better. The musicianship is better, it's a lot darker sounding, and the woman he sings with sounds like she's really interested in him instead of just playing around.

One of my very first bands was a cover band called the Roadrunners. The guy's kind of a hero of mine.
========

Tony Hightower: Music | Weblog
hujhax
A New Player

Post by hujhax »

Hi all --

I realized I could spend an infinite amount of time choosing songs, so let me just post & be done with it....

1. Come On Fhqwgads -- Homestar Runner
2. Elephant Stone -- The Stone Roses
3. Holocaust -- Big Star
4. The Downtown Lights -- The Blue Nile

There. Now at least I don't miss the deadline. :)

=- Peter
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

You know, I never saw what people loved so much about HSR. ATHF and Sealab both kick its ass. That said, I'd like to see a cover of the song at the end of this one: http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail116.html
<a href="http://www.c-hack.com">c-hack.com</a> | <a href="http://www.rootrecords.org">rootrecords.org</a>
john m
Panama
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, keyboard
Recording Method: tin cans, string
Submitting as: Doctor Worm

Post by john m »

Homestar Runner is the anti-funny, though perhaps not quite as much as Home Movies. But yes, it isn't even remotely close to the league of ATHF and Sealab.
mkilly
Ice Cream Man

Post by mkilly »

john m wrote:Homestar Runner is the anti-funny, though perhaps not quite as much as Home Movies. But yes, it isn't even remotely close to the league of ATHF and Sealab.
Man, I hate Homestar Runner as much as the next guy, but I am solidly a Home Movies fan. I think we've discussed this before, you and I.
Chico
A New Player

Post by Chico »

I didn't get HSR for a long time, until I realized that they're a kid's act. Like, for real. Grownups only dig them the same way they dig the subtexts in shows like Spongebob or, oh, Pee Wee's Playhouse.

I'm not saying Strongbad is gay (he might be, but who cares), I'm just saying this stuff is aimed at kids, and if you watch it looking for insightful grownup themes, you're often disappointed.

That said, I'd like to hear someone do Fhqwgads. Good call. (I see you jockin' me.)
========

Tony Hightower: Music | Weblog
Gazelles
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Gazelles »

I don't think HSR is targeted at kids. I doubt any of the little kids I know would find it funny or amusing at all. I find HSR very funny probably because of...well I'm not sure why really. I enjoy the randomness I suppose. That's also why I don't think kids would find it funny. But you guys aren't the first I've heard to equate it to Spongebob and the like.

All in all, that was badly worded argument, but I felt I should because I love HSR.
fodroy
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: none
Recording Method: ears
Submitting as: praise muzak

Post by fodroy »

i think homestar runner is hilarious. i know it's become unhip to still like it but screw that. i find it funny.

spongebob, how i long to set you on a griddle in the middle of the sahara and watch you bake.
NeilThrun
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by NeilThrun »

mkilly wrote:
john m wrote:Homestar Runner is the anti-funny, though perhaps not quite as much as Home Movies. But yes, it isn't even remotely close to the league of ATHF and Sealab.
Man, I hate Homestar Runner as much as the next guy, but I am solidly a Home Movies fan. I think we've discussed this before, you and I.
I aswell am a home movies fan. And as Dan said, its no longer hip to like HSR, thats so 5 months ago.
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

NeilThrun wrote:
mkilly wrote:
I aswell am a home movies fan. And as Dan said, its no longer hip to like HSR, thats so 5 months ago.
Well, that's good. I thought I was turning into an old man for a while there ("what is this crap kids like these days?"...). Home Movies, of course, is genius even for just the fact that they have the best dialogue on TV. The only thing that comes remotely close is a Bendis comic (Powers, specifically).
<a href="http://www.c-hack.com">c-hack.com</a> | <a href="http://www.rootrecords.org">rootrecords.org</a>
drë
Ice Cream Man
Recording Method: protools
Submitting as: Andre was here at Midnight

Post by drë »

i'd never understood Homestar runner nor sealab .... but
aqua teen hunger force ROCKSSS!!!!!!!!!
<i>its like "The Big Lebowsky" of cartoons </i>

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHY THEIR NOT SHOWING IT AT MIDNIGHT NO MORE ??? ONLY ON SUNDAYS, NOW ?? THAT FUCKIN SUCKS....
john m
Panama
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, keyboard
Recording Method: tin cans, string
Submitting as: Doctor Worm

Post by john m »

I believe the plan is to have them switch off with Sealab every so often, kinda like how Family Guy and Futurama trade slots.
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

Just a reminder that your lists for the GoM need to be in by the 25th by 12PM EST. If anyone else is interested, please come aboard. Let's make this year's GoM bigger & better than last's.