Having Sex With Pamela Anderson (Short Life reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
blue
Ice Cream Man

Having Sex With Pamela Anderson (Short Life reviews)

Post by blue »

great fight:

abom: the surf thing isn't doing much for me up until the solo, but then it seems to pull itself together a little more - or maybe i'm just used to it by then. your vox sound loud enough, but they're still a little hard to understand. it's kinda like a live show mix, where you can hear them but not really HEAR them. LOUDER.

andre: very impressed with this tune from you. it has an understated intensity and everything sounds good. the drums could come out to the front a little more, but overall i'm diggin' it for sure. reminds me of bob mould, maybe. the little crazy guitar interplay things are great. probably coulda ended a little sooner. since most of the vox are incoherent, it would have been nice if you had really pulled them together in the chorus.

chuckchuck: i dont think it was a great idea to leave the acoustic in one speaker while you sang. i can hear where you're trying to go with the vocals, but it doesn't sound like you're getting there very often. strings sound nice.

copywriter: a fine example of the led zepplin additive songwriting approach, with about 3 elements too many. vocals sink it, sadly. a fine groove, not sure of its fitness as a song. .. really, you coulda written a chord change. trust me, as a dude who is the royal knight high champion of the 2 chord jam, it would not have killed you. oop, there it goes. this song's aspirations outstrip its listening enjoyment.

8LO: excellent.
--- song? ---

willynillyhillybilly: wow, a 'nam protest song on SF. might be a first, what with our spotty your generation participation. nice low-key approach to a straight take on the title.

hisnameisarpeggioboy: beckian, but way short of the mark. very good vocal melody on the chorus, just needs some attention to the mix and some kinda slant on the lyrics.

lonpointy: J$ is sleeping his way thru the SF electronica subcult. eeh.. a little overlooped for my tastes.

mtc: song makes a lot more sense after reading the lyrics. i appreciate the sentiment a great deal, but the delivery is so campy and overworked that i think it's detracting. would have enjoyed it a lot more without the vocal voicing switcheroos going on.

pringle: hey it's robert fripp's guitar tone.

ryn: compress this crap, dude, i'm tired of turning my stereo to 50000.

sos: recorded live blah blah blah. the end is me turning the knobs on the delay pedal thru which the organ is being played. right speaker is bass tuned to G, left speaker is normal tuning. the bridge is a little uncompelling, for sure.

steve d: i know that maybe all you have available to you are very cheap midi instruments, but you gotta put some work into upgrading your stack. this sounds like a yamaha FM synthesis demo from 1984.

i think i would have voted for andre if someone hadn't raced to her computer to vote for SOS the second the fights went up.
Last edited by blue on Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:04 pm, edited 6 times in total.
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

BAVARIAN CREAM! :idea:
Hi!
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Re: well who'd want to be immortal anyways? (short life revi

Post by j$ »

blue wrote:J$ is sleeping his way thru the SF electronica subcult.
Yep. Down With Gender next ....

j$
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

reviews:

SOS: Dull. Doing nothing for me

ChuchChuckMoose: Nice strings. Voice goes a bit dodgy when it goes too high – sounds better in the chorus. Not really grabbing me though

Dre: I don’t recall hearing such flash production from you before. Not bad. I’d like to hear the guitars go a bit more ape-shit – Sonic Youth-style

Lonbobby&J$: Pleasant enough – but a little repetitive. Backing music was almost good – but not quite – just didn’t strike a chord with me

Dan: I like the scatting bits (now that’s something I never thought I’d ever say) – but that’s about it really

Steve Durand: Vocals sound a bit off to me – and the song sounds a little paint-by-numbers

Pringle Can: Guitar! Distorted vocals! It stopped! You almost had my vote

M the C: All a bit too cool and hep-catty for me

8LO: The short song/short life thing had to happen I suppose. What was there was good, as always

RyanR: Nice melody. Your production/performance lacks a bit of life – but I can tell there’s a good song there

Abom: The Ramones visit the cake shop. A song like this should be about girls or cars or waves or drugs (or all 4 preferably) – not baked goods.

Hillbilly: Great vocals. And I like the guitar solo. Not really my cup of tea – but definitely a job well done

Copywriter: Is that a didge? (puts on headphones…) no, sounds like a distorted base. I don’t like the vocal effects – but this is pretty cool. I think you just got yourself a vote
boltoph
Panama
Submitting as: Gert

Post by boltoph »

The Cashpoint / Lonbobby combo is fuckin sweet. I especially like the choruses, and 1:25 to the end.
fodroy
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: none
Recording Method: ears
Submitting as: praise muzak

Post by fodroy »

reviews coming soon! (meaning in august when i get home and have a computer that i can listen to music on)
chuckstas
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Thanks for the Feedback

Post by chuckstas »

I appreciate all comments. I agree with you, blue, about the mix. When you say that the vocals don't quite get there, do you mean lyrically or that the melody is often flat? Also, let me know what you think about that distorted guitar in the bridge. Does it add a nice new element to the song, or is it a distraction because it is only in that section? Thanks a lot. Reviews will follow later in the week.
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

Caravan Ray wrote:.........A song like this should be about girls or cars or waves or drugs (or all 4 preferably) – not baked goods.
man, nothing beats a good doughnut.
Hi!
Smalltown Mike
Mean Street
Submitting as: shrts, Sewer Ppl, Flaming Tiger, shrts, shot pounder, Gert, Slither, Gaping Maw
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Smalltown Mike »

jack wrote: man, nothing beats a good doughnut.
Why would anyone want to beat a doughnut? They're harmless. And yummy.
blue
Ice Cream Man

Re: Thanks for the Feedback

Post by blue »

chuckstas wrote:I appreciate all comments. I agree with you, blue, about the mix. When you say that the vocals don't quite get there, do you mean lyrically or that the melody is often flat? Also, let me know what you think about that distorted guitar in the bridge. Does it add a nice new element to the song, or is it a distraction because it is only in that section? Thanks a lot. Reviews will follow later in the week.
i mean melodically, it sounded like you were going for a certain feel to the vocals and both missing notes and dropping the feel occasionally. there were spots - iirc right at the end of the first verse - where the intent was getting through.

the disto guitar doesn't stick in my memory as being good or bad.
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Abob - cute. More snare rolls! I love your guitar playing. Good to have you back. Also crazy cool bass playing.

Andre - pretty. Fab bass tone. It's a little slow for my tastes but I like it.

Chuck Chuck Mouse - nice violin. Overall, nice mix. Oddly jazzy radiohead in its progression. Too long for my tastes. But pretty sweet for a hot summer day.

Copywriter - I was hoping you would be a punk band. Ah well. Nice trippy electronica groove. Passes by very enjoyably without really grabbing my attention. Someone is practicising their recorder scales next door and it sounds even better with that.

8LO - I love the music and the concept but not the vocal delivery. Well sung, but a little too tough for the concept?

Hillbilly - I would love to hear this arranged as a speed-country-punk song with a Cash vocal over the top. As it is it's very much not speaking to me, though it's clearly very well thought up / performed / produced.

Dan - heh. Cute. Catchy, funny nonsense. Good work. I would have brought in the second part earlier - squashed up the whole song to around 2.30ish, but hey.....

Lonbobby / Cashpoint - Lon did a good job with this. Have I been auto-tuned without realising? I am sure the vocal I sent was more, um, uneven? Heh. I love the little guitar fills and the keyboard swells. Also the chunky squished up bass.

Max the Cat - i have never thought Coltraine was that great. Well he was, but Miles is better. I don't like the rapping or the beatnik jazz poem part much - but overall the song makes me think of Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprsy or maybe even Gil Scot Heron, which is cool. And I love the idea and the execution of the music. Maybe you couldn't really do the vocal any other way? Hmmm, I might really get into it if I listened again and again. Kudos for something a little different, mind.

Pringle Can - that's great :)

Ryan R - This is good. Might even have got my vote if this had combined elements from your other two songs that I liked. This is really good, just I wish you'd spent more time on tidying it up / developing it.

SOS - Start is great. Wig-out at 3.13ish is best part. Bell / tape destruction ending reveals your art-rock leanings nicely. Only lack of strong discernable chorus makes this possibly unvoteworthy.

Steve Durand - Nice stabs. is that real brass? The way it's recorded it sounds almost synthy or maybe I am just conditioned to assume all brass on songfight is synth substitute. This sounds like an outtake from a rock musical, or the song on a disney soundtrack that the ensemble sing to the character while toiling in an undersea sweat-shop factory. This is a good thing.

I liked Ryan R, Pringle Can, SOS and Dan. Probably vote for Pringle Can or Dan.
nyjm
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: acoustic guitar, electric guitar, synth, various MIDI instruments
Recording Method: Reaper, Line 6 POD, GLS Audio 57 and 58
Submitting as: noah mclaughlin, Ford's Theater Disaster, Juliet's Happy Dagger

Post by nyjm »

<b>Abominominous</b>
- lacks oomph. i think primarily the guitars are thin compared to the vox
- i'm not a big fan of this kind of stop-start music; it's either for people with short attention spans or shows that you can't maintain a musical idea
- all-in-all not a bad little light punk/surf song

<b>Andre was here at midnight</b>
- your singing is improving, but you still need to tighten your intonation
- the vox melody doesn't grab me; your delivery might have something to do with that; it just drones
- the backing music is quite good; it has a nice dynamic

<b>Chuck Chuck Moose</b>
- the violin is a rather pretty, but a little too shrill
- the hard-panned arrangement is an interesting way to begin the song, but it's distracting once the vox come in
- some backing vocals earlier in the song would be a nice touch
- the stop-start nature of the song gets a little old; just keeping going

<b>Copywriter for the Setlist</b>
- i like the wandering pan; that's cool
- this song takes its time getting to a full groove; maybe you could give us a little taste earlier on, a promise of coming attractions
- this song could also benefit from a true break-down, something that you could really dance to

<b>Eight Legged Oedipus</b>
- great drum/bass groove
- i thought about making a concept song like this; you pulled it off really well
- great lyrics

<b>hillbilly</b>
- straightfoward GnG; nice voice, interesting guitar groove, but i'd like to a fuller arrangement
- nice solo
- pretty, even poignant, but needs to take more chances

<b>his name is dan</b>
- hehe, but it gets old about halfway through
- reminds me of that "da-da-da" song

<b>Lonbobby & Johnny Cashpoint</b>
- great groove; each individual piece doesn't seem like much, but the ensemble is pretty damn cool
- really like the chorus; it's quite catchy
- perfect length

<b>Max The Cat</b>
- where's my coffee, cigarette and beret?
- cool rap; and you keep it up; awesome
- the high-pitch "short life"s seem slightly out of place, maybe out of tune

<b>Pringle Can</b>
- i'm glad that was so short

<b>Ryan Rickenbach</b>
- the guitars are muddy
- the singing needs more definition, or just a more engaging melody
- pretty harmonies at the end

<b>sonofsupercar</b>
- cool, rumbling verse; but the chorus has promise that is never kept
- that break after the first verse is just weird
- this song takes it time getting to light-off, and even then it remains rather sluggish; the backwards vox are over-used

<b>Steve Durand</b>
- the multiple brass parts are very cool
- with the vox, hit a note and stay there; your voice wobbles
- the chorus should have more punch; it's got great potential
"You sound like the ghost of David Bowie." - SchlimminyCricket | it was a pleasure to burn | my website | Juliet's Happy Dagger
G. Rant
A New Player

8LO Gets my vote

Post by G. Rant »

Eight Legged Oedipus gets my vote for this one . . . I like the lyrics and the delivery . . . I also liked Andre. I was torn between the two, and would have picked both if I could have.
Steve Durand
Panama
Instruments: trumpet, trombone, sax, clarinet, flute, keyboards, banjo, guitar, bass, ukulele
Recording Method: SONAR 6, Dell Inspiron E1705, Edirol UA-25, Studio Projects B-1 Mic
Submitting as: Steve Durand, Elastic Waste Band

Post by Steve Durand »

j$ wrote:
Steve Durand - Nice stabs. is that real brass?
Yes, It's real brass.

Thanks for the comments.

Steve
Smalltown Mike
Mean Street
Submitting as: shrts, Sewer Ppl, Flaming Tiger, shrts, shot pounder, Gert, Slither, Gaping Maw
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Smalltown Mike »

Sonofsupercar

Nice voice. Good energy in the vox at 1:26. I like the unexpected break at 1:40. Good suspense. There’s not much variety here, though. Overall, it’s not really my thing; it sounds a lot like R.E.M., of which I’m not a huge fan. But if I was ...

Chuck Chuck Mouse

Great violin. Nice guitar too, but everything is really right ear/left ear. In the headphones it’s too much, the guitar in my right ear makes me feel like I’m going to tip over sideways. Love the violin. I like your voice a lot more when you’re singing lower than at the start. Great subtle drums. Actually, your voice sounds good even when you do sing high, but I’d suggest trying to sing lower, even if it’s just for harmony. You might be too close to the mic, though. Love the groove, especially when the violin comes in. I don’t like the part of that comes in at 2:56; it doesn’t seem to fit with the laid-backness (yes, I’m sure that’s a word) of the rest of the song.

Ryan Rickenbach

The guitar sounds boomier than it does in your Happy Life song. I sense a slight acoustic reggae vibe that might not even have been on intentional, but it might be something to pursue. Your vox could stand to be a little more front and centre, although it sort of works in this one. The verse is much better than the chorus here.

Lonbobby & Johnny

I’m really digging J$ tunes lately. There’s a lot of strange contrasting things here, strings, dance drums, J$’s voice, and it all works. I’d like more lyrics, though I understand in the context of the song, that’s all you get. Great song.

ELO

This song has to be this length for so many reasons, and what great delivery of the “good bye” line. But I’d love to hear the song end with the vox, and not drone on with the instruments.

Pringle Can

I get the feeling this wasn’t even the seed of an idea, but just f’ing around. I liked the opening gtr, but then you lost me on the buried vox and it never really went anywhere.

His name is Dan

If the world works the way I hope it does, this song could be a big hit. There are some things I think that need some fine tuning; that hiss, for example. The beat is perfect. The scat is fantastic. I’d say the instrumentation is near perfect; a couple things maybe here and there. The vox need a couple things, too, but that’s only in the context of making this a huge unexpected hit. As it sits, it’s pretty brilliant. I really like this. The lyrics are great.

Abominominous

I think I need to be on the dance floor to dig this, and drunk. Because I do want to dance. I like the voice, because it sounds a little out of place with this. Everything sort of sounds out of place with each other, which makes it all work. Good work.

Steve Durand

The real brass saves this somewhat. Who does the plays the horns? The vox sounds sometimes like you’re reading the lyrics (yes, I know we all read our lyrics, but we try to hide it). Sounds like you don’t know your lyrics well when you’re singing them. Great brass breakdown at about 2 minutes. I would end with a brass stab, too.

Andre was here at Midnight

You’ve made your style work really well here. Your voice sounds great. Nice solo.

Copywriter for the Setlist

Great beginning. I like the tune, but the vox need some fixing. The intro is really long, and when the vox come in they’re barely audible and very vocoded. I do want to hear the vox because I like the rest of the song.

Max the Cat

I do love Last Poets, Gil Scot Heron et al, and this is a really good example of the genre. The chorus doesn’t blend well with the verse/raps, but overall this is really good. I think easing up on the reverb a little on the verse vox would make them blend better with the rest of the song.

James

You should back up from the vocal mic a little. This is a good song, but with a better vocal recording this could be a great song. Nice.

I give my vote to His Name is Dan with all my heart. Great work.
Steve Durand
Panama
Instruments: trumpet, trombone, sax, clarinet, flute, keyboards, banjo, guitar, bass, ukulele
Recording Method: SONAR 6, Dell Inspiron E1705, Edirol UA-25, Studio Projects B-1 Mic

Post by Steve Durand »

Smalltown Mike wrote:
Steve Durand

The real brass saves this somewhat. Who does the plays the horns? The vox sounds sometimes like you’re reading the lyrics (yes, I know we all read our lyrics, but we try to hide it). Sounds like you don’t know your lyrics well when you’re singing them. Great brass breakdown at about 2 minutes. I would end with a brass stab, too.
I play the horns myself.

You're right about the lyrics. I didn't finish writing them until 10:00 Sunday night. I just ran out of time to get a good take on the singing.

Thanks for the review.

Steve
EightLeggedOedipus
Push Comes to Shove

Post by EightLeggedOedipus »

<b>Abominominous</b>
+++ Sweetness. That unexpected blue note at teh end of the progression is awesome. Vocals are nice. Reminds me of James Kochalka's "Bitten to Death by Rats" which is a huge compliment from me. +++

<b>Andre was here at midnight</b>
--- I still don't get your stuff. Loping beat trips itself ---

<b>Chuck E Cheese</b>
+++ Nice chorus. Viola a nice touch +++
--- Some squeaking. Some dorky singing in the verses. "MurderER". Too long ---

+++ Fun jam but where's is it going? +++
--- Oh, it's going there. Hum. Autotune as Vocoder again. It annoyed me when Lonboobby did that. ---

+++ Fun groove +++
--- Oh my god it's over! What a rip off. Whoever this is is gonna pay for this shit. ---
/// It was either this or a John Lennon rip that rhymed "short life" with "short wife" ///

<b>hillbilly</b>
/// (poised for the n-word again) ///
+++ Pretty good for GnG. It's the kind of topic I'd write baout, except this sounds like it's serious and true-to-life. +++

<b>his name is dan</b>
/// Did anyone mention a particular Volkswagon commercial yet? ///
+++ "You bitches get what you deserve." Wicked lyric over happy msuic +++
--- "Digga digga doot" vs the Offkey Accordian ---

+++ Pretty slick. I would liek to hear much more from this team. +++
/// WMP seems to think this only one minute long. Hmm. I was going to give props for also taking the obvious Short route.///

<b>Max The Cat</b>
+++ Modern beat poets kick hip hop's ass via the multifaceted mutant skin of Max The Cat. I am forever your pouting, crying unwilling slave. +++

<b>Pringle Can</b>
--- Here's a tissue. Clean up, my sheets still smell from last time. And hand me my vibrator. ---

<b>Ryan Rickenbach</b>
--- Hello, is someone there? Oh it's Colonel BandwidtHog. How dare you infect the playlist with this poorly distorted silence, Colon B Hog? ---

<b>sonofsupercar</b>
--- Minus points right off the bat for adding "The" before "Short Life" ---
+++ Bonus points a trippy fucked up lead-in and first verse. I'm such a sucker for triplet rhythms. And awesome yelling. +++
--- Uh, what just happened there? A little Andy Kaufman moment, perhaps? Or a plot twist? ---
+++ Anyway, I'm totally digging this song, needle slip and all. The lyrics are very visual and wisted, but tasteful. And I don't want to find out what it would mean to look yourself in the chin. DOesn't sound pleasant. +++

<b>Steve Durand</b>
--- Steve, Steve, Steve. The MIDI, the MIDI. This feels like the buyout music in a cheesy PBS anti-drug afterschool special. ---
/// Did anyone else ever see this one with the elevator and the magic headband? Memories... time to google. Sorry Steve, just not interested this time. ///
<a href="http://www.mbeanis.com/0.html">Understand</a> my reviews. Voted best auto-wrecking record of 2005! "<a href="http://www.thedrinks.net/"><b>The Drinks</a></b>' - Grr!" available now.
drë
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar
Recording Method: protools
Submitting as: Andre was here at Midnight

Post by drë »

<b>Abominominous</b>
Glad to hear you back, but this sounds more like a Hell Yeah song, with the husband singing. Not a bad song, but it definitely does not move me, pretty plain.

<b>Chuck Chuck Moose</b> possible vote
Nice, nice. A fiddle. A soft bouncing bass… your vocals might be a bit in the high range to really pull this song off, but at least their smooth. Good drum track.
This is very much my taste, good lyrics. what I enjoy the most: how the bass and drums play off each other, fiddle and the overall feel of the song.

decent production , but it takes too long for the song to get going. Around the 1:00 am already board and expecting more.. music sounds like a mild attempt to copy U2. vocal have too much FX to really give it any mood at all. Too long and repetitive.

Nice and short. Like this review.

<b>hillbilly</b>
I enjoy sad, slow song (like Chuck Chuck Moose) but can’t say am enjoy this one.
Need more instruments.. the dubs on the vocals help, ok that’s a nice little solo . if you were to start the song with the solo, maybe the momentive would have carry the song a bit more. Good lyrics.

<b>his name is dan</b> possible vote
1997 Volkswagen commercial : “DA,Da, Da”
Great lyrics and delivery. Very creative song, but might be 30 seconds too long. Higly enjoyable tho.

I really like how lonbobby does electronic music with a classical flavor to it. I enjoy it. (Lamp shade.. is kick ass song, I used to listen to all the time)
J$ pull off the signing very well, and like always his lyrics are like no one else around here.

<b>Max The Cat</b>
Your homage to jazz, great. Not your finest work, but at least you can call it fusion SF entry.

<b>Pringle Can</b>
dumb.

<b>Ryan Rickenbach</b> possible vote
Fan of your stuff, but your older songs (“the chairs we chair” era) were a bit more enjoyable, like your singing a lot better back then or something.
On this song, really like the vocal melody and how it really just carries the tune. The minimalist approach with the guitar, works fine, but maybe adding a nice according break would of help as well.

<b>sonofsupercar</b> possible vote
really like the experimentation of SOS songs, but something that always come to mind, is those vocals really don’t seem to fit the music, but then again what would ?
enjoyable song, but wished the progression of getting louder and faster had started earlier in the song, as it was getting stale around the middle.

<b>Steve Durand</b> possible vote
Somewhat of an odd song, but that trumpet arrangement really carries the song. The vocals need to be stronger (or louder) to really pull this off. Remind me a lot of
The red Elvis’s, are you Russian?

WOW, some good songs in this fight, might have to download some of them.

My vote is between Steve, Ryan, or Chuck.
Might have to flip a coin with three sides.
hillbilly

Post by hillbilly »

thanks for the reviews guys

ELO-love the beat, shame it was soo short.

Max-I don't think you need any advice.

Dan-I'm not craxy about this one as others but what the hell it was enjoyable.

Pringle-lil too much distortion for me, just my taste sorry.

Andre-That was all right till you got off there in the middle, then you got it back.

Steve- like those horns, very good taste. Vocals didnt seem to fit as good as they could, do it again.

SOS-like your voice a lot, sure that pause was needed?

Ryan-killer harmonies&good lyrics.

Chuck Chuck Chuck-I loved this, got my vote.

Copywrighter-Wow like this to.

Lon and Cash-You know I love you don't take me wrong it's just hard for a North Carolina guy to get used to you'r voice at times. Otherwise i'm sure that was a very hard song to do. Very well put together.

Abominominous-damn thats hard to spell. Good job. Lil too hyper for me, hope your all right. :)

Good fight everyone
Phil. Redmon.
Mean Street
Instruments: guitars
Recording Method: Reaper
Submitting as: Abominominous, The Hell Yeahs, Spy Vs. Pie

Post by Phil. Redmon. »

<b>Abominominous</b> - This is fuckin' great. It's almost as though I had an awesome idea, and executed it perfectly! That's right, motherfuckers, I rule!

<b>Andre was here at midnight</b> - This song has a nice moving spotlight, and I'm more than a little reminded of Cursive. Good dynamice, and I like the rythmic trepadation of the fuzz guitar line. Nice grainy kind of sound, a good grit. The trade between electric and accoustic towards the end is a fine arguement. That ride cymbal is the devils penis, however. A little more conviction on the higher vocals would have been nice, but hey hey, whatev.

<b>Chuck Chuck Moose</b> - Nimmie Wum, Nimma Num. A torrential downpour of classic antiquity delivered via fiddlation, bruskly contra-trasted with an in your face modernity of the vocal miking. Quality singing, no doubt. Click click beep ding. Side note: In Minnesota, it's duck duck grey duck, not goose. The last minute has me bleating a little bit. It could use some Jute Gyte screams.

<b>Copywriter for the Setlist</b> - This one had me dancing at work the first time I listened to the fight. The hat is too sharp for me, but I'm sure that is largely an artifact of the mp3-ism. Nice big bed on this jam, makes me want to buy a car or unveil something, y'know? A burbling bibble blubbin boom bap bibba tip of bubbles. If there were a band called Big Audio Torniquet, this would remind me of it.

<b>Eight Legged Oedipus</b> - M.S.I., straight up. Cheat + cheap. (she was a good girl, and it felt great to be a liar)

<b>hillbilly</b> - Big full sound, it's like I'm in the guitar, and you are singing into the soundhole at me, and i am surviving off of crumbs i pick out of your beard. 80 something years really isn't that long, is it. Sniff. Nice poignant work.

<b>his name is dan</b> - This'm the best song I a hear of you this term, president dan. Digga digga dan dan, the goodest. It's a booty shaker, and a nuppy tambo, you know? I wouldn't change a thing. You have got it, and you have it going on.

<b>Lonbobby & Johnny Cashpoint</b> - Faboo! What an odd mix of sounds! I am dancing and kicking. Watch me twist, I'm twistin' it. That slide guitar sound is really a nice touch. Ribbit? Confident delivery out of Johnny. You two are a good match. Wonderful!

<b>Max The Cat</b> - THe intro is so great! Shit, i could have had a couple minutes of that and been boner-tastic. The...um... fast part... is... ok. But the initial conceptual mood is just so much warmer. I can dig it, though, dude, I can dig it. I will be peering into your archive.

<b>Pringle Can</b> - Bee hee hee... "aah!" Very direct of you. Do you like sonic youth? I instantly thought of them w/ yr vocal deliv. You should friend flood and win, that'd be hilarious. One of the catchiest songs this fight, seriously. I really, really, really wish it was longer.

<b>Ryan Rickenbach</b> - Good delivery, n' writing. I know who you listen to a lot, you are wearing him on your sleeve. Also: could technically be quieter. Some good lines, but ultimately puts me in the mood for your sleeve.

<b>sonofsupercar</b> - That is some of the better drum programming in the fight. 1 nice glob of song, with a couple of little interestin' crystals of snrub added in. Evokes jealousy and toe-tappin. One to drink to. Hott.

<b>Steve Durand</b> - "there's no such thing as forever." Ha ha ha ha, I just realized that this reminds me of: Taco! Puttin' on the ritz! Gary Coooper! Pooper scooper! Those horns are the star, for sure. How were they .... um.. made? This was a fun song, but the vocals are a little smeary.

Good fight, ever'body. Buy my cereal, read my comics, and vote for the best song: mine.
Steve Durand
Panama

Post by Steve Durand »

dre wrote: <b>Steve Durand</b> Remind me a lot of The red Elvis’s, are you Russian?
Nyet!

Phil. Redmon. wrote: Those horns are the star, for sure. How were they .... um.. made?
Well, they start with brass tubes, cut them to the right length, bend them and then braze the sections together..... Ummm, that's probably not what you mean.

I did them the old fashioned way. Played the horns and recorded them with a microphone. A little reverb added after the fact.

Steve
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Phil. Redmon. wrote:<b>Pringle Can</b> - Bee hee hee... "aah!" Very direct of you. Do you like sonic youth? I instantly thought of them w/ yr vocal deliv. You should friend flood and win, that'd be hilarious. One of the catchiest songs this fight, seriously. I really, really, really wish it was longer.
That would have ruined the "joke."