10 Do's and 500 Don'ts (Obey All the Laws Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff
Pronouns: he/him

10 Do's and 500 Don'ts (Obey All the Laws Reviews)

Post by ken »

get to work.
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
GlennCase
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Yes
Recording Method: Incorrect methods
Submitting as: Glenn Case
Pronouns: he/him

Post by GlennCase »

Been a long time since I rock 'n reviewed.

Possible scores:
[awful] [bad] [okay] [good] [great]

a music - It isn't awful, but I really don't enjoy it at all either. The music sounds like a jumbled mess. Voice is earnest to the point of sounding cheesy. Sorry, [bad]

Bell Green - Off-key vocals actually work ok for you to some extent, because it shows personality. On the other side of that argument, it actually drags the song down. "What's in it for me" parts are actually pretty cool, but it makes me think you should have submitted it for <a href="http://www.songfight.org/songpage.php?k ... _it_for_me" target="blank">THAT title</a>. Anyway, it's a decent song, with an ok performance. [okay], but with potential to be better with a tighter performance.

Dark Liberty - *shakes head* Well, to your credit, you sound like you are very young, you have time to learn. Have you been listening to the Chicago Bears "Superbowl shuffle" to learn how to rap? Please don't. Sorry, it doesn't get much more [awful], but if you are as young as you sound? Don't get discouraged. Just work on your craft.

Henrietta - Thank you for submitting a SONG. No, really... Thank you! This is the first time I have genuinely smiled in this whole fight, and I only have 3 more songs to review as I type this. I love your voice. The guitar sounds terrific. I was trying to decide which one of the highest two ratings to give this, and then I realised that I could listen to it multiple times in a row without getting sick of it. THIS is [great]

Historyman - Very lo-fi, and very fun! Anything that it (probably intentionally) lacks in the production department is made up for with bursts of bad-ass rhythm and what appears to be rock-star cockiness. This is quite [good] for what it is.

Jay String - Nice nasty synths. Voice is a nice contrast to the music too. This sounds like J$ to me, is it? I actually really like this. You've constructed an oddly compelling hook in the chorus. I would not have expected it, but this is [good]

Kamakura - *sigh* ok. It really isn't bad, for what it is. I don't enjoy it, but that doesn't mean that people who like this style of music won't. I hear that effort was put into it, and the synth-style parts border on being catchy. You get an [okay] from me.

Kama Sutra - I only tend to rate songs as [awful] when little or no effort was put into the track, and there is little or no entertainment value. This applies here.

Ken's Super Choctothorpe, the Bear n' Rachael - I cannot review this, as I was part of it. It was fun to make. Great way to break in my new Mackie 1202 (Thanks for finding it, Ken!)

Ministry of Noise - Nice build up! This is a decent combination of production, musicianship, and personality. Drums sound fake, I think the song would really benefit from real drums. Overall, it's [good]

Ross Durand - Everything about this track screams [okay] to me. Not horrible, but not really enjoyable either. Nothing jumps out to get a reaction from me. It's just kind of 'there'

Sell Crazy - Music sounds good. Voice does not (to me.) I really do like the hook at :34 a lot, actually. Actually, this is a nice little track, but the vocal part drops it to an [okay]

NO CONTEST! Hentrietta gets the [vote]

ROCK!

Glenn (DR FUNK)
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

a music - hmmm, not bad. I like the play on the title, but i am not sure that's there's enough lyrical depth to support it, maybe. everything is in place and much better mix than last week, but it just doesn't excite me like yr 'All Skate'. Sorry about that.

Bell Green - This sounds like a slowed down oasis song. The guitar has a slightly annoying hiss artefact. It's all a bit earnest for my tastes. Just not my bag, I guess.

Dark Liberty - btw for me a song in both fights means no vote in either, regardless of the song's quality - not that it matters probably. I like this - the vocals are a little bit loud - maybe a little quieter but with a little reverb? Anyway there's lots of interesting stuff going in the background. I enjoyed it.

Henrietta - nice. Country isn't really my bag but I enjoyed listening to it a fair amount. Nothing much else I can say...

Historyman - welcome back. This has a good groove to it but the bass and drums should be way up in the mix, not pressed down like this. Maybe they are just over-compressed I am not entirely sure ... the break down is welcome but feels a bit abrupt .... as always I like hearing your voice ...

Me is me, mixing blind again. This song is about a security guard falling in love with a woman he sees on his CCTV screen. ASBO is 'anti-social behaviour order'.

Kamakura - goes trip-hop? Oddly you sound like Kapitano here! Intriguing and wonderfully sparse and choppy mix. The word 'lavatory' always sounds funny in a song, especially in contrast to the serious techno backtrack ... overall an enjoyable change of style ....

Kama Sutra - I enjoyed this but I am not sure I would listen again. I like the spoken word a lot, nice tone in relation to the backing track - the synth-cello (?) towards the end goes on too long without really going anywhere.

Ken & various - I imagine this will win. It certainly so far is the one that leaps out and grabs you, mix and dynamics-wise, but is it just me or has this blues-grass swing thing has become the shorthand for 'serious musicians showing their fun side'? I guess I am thinking of '@_@' and the rest ... (though I do like the 'obey all laws' voice) - and everything is so well done and played. Just not enjoying it much. feels like a bit of as bind to get to the end, for me, which is a real shame, because it's well-done. Anyway I am sure it will win so what does my opinion matter?

Ministry of Noise - Being in two fights means no vote in either from me, not that really matters. The volume is right this week! I love the instrumental introduction - the song itself leaves me a little bit cold - mainly because my grandmother knows how to suck eggs just fine, thanks.

Ross Durand - fun. I don't like the trumpets much, or rather I like them, just not the sevenths (or whatever they are - I am just trying to indicate!) they're playing against the song - it changes the mood of the song to something completely different. 'Entropy' is a pretty odd word in this context, and licking it doesn't appeal to me in the slightest :) ... yeah, very pleasant.

I dunno.

(J)ay ($)tring
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

take it with a grain of salt.

historyman
anything with a pennywhistle solo in it gets a good from me. this is some crazy shit yo. definitely a good butthole surfer vibe going for it.

ross durand
the canned drums almost work against you here. the problem is that it just repeats from start to finish, without any variation. dude, is that your brother on the horns? nice! i almost wish you'd opted for a more sparse percussion arrangement. like when you bring the clave in after the horn bridge, that's good. also, some high harmony vox would really help out on the chorus.

henrietta
this is excellent on so many levels. not much to say beyond that. great guitar! i'd love to hear the hostage sing more backups as i think his voice could really compliment your voice jennifer. i wish you'd also added one more noodly lead guitar track after the second verse comes in playing off that rhythm riff, or some other instrument, like a bass or mandolin or banjo or slide. but hey, tasty!

kama sutra
it kind of bores me actually.

bell green
i like your stuff in general and i like this too. the mix is pretty hot but not clippingly annoying. seems pretty heavy on the low frequencies. i like the arrangement and the guitar riff is pretty good too. has that chin rocker unplugged feel to it!

kamakura
although i'm not a big fan of the genre, i really like this alot. the lyrics are great. and it's got enough of a goth sort of undertone to not take itself too seriously, it's like bubble goth pop, like the smiths meets thomas dolby. cool tune. real solid production.

sell crazy
the mix sounds pretty flat, like all the dirty guitars are squished and compressed, and the vocals (which sound a bit flat) just sit on top of it. the drums and bass seem nicely mixed but the rest seems either too high or too squashed.

ministry of noise
fucking killer intro. wow, this is rawk solid. killer production, killer execution. this makes me think max the cat had something to do with this. absolutely love the crazy horse outro. tasty!

dark liberty
keep working on it kid.

jay string
the prank cashpoint. stellar production. creepy, and man your vocals sound great on this johnny. this is killer. the rap maybe needs a bit more sneer but thats about the worst thing i can say about this. love that chorus. love the low vox coming in. just some real sick-ass-brilliant arranging going on. tasty!

kenssuperchoctothorpethebearnrachael
man, what's not to love about this? beautiful. great harmonies. love the mandolin too. tasty!

a music
the anticlimax to a pretty good fight.

so, it's the battle of the tastys! henrietta....flawless tune, i guess it comes down to a mood vote. ministry of noise.......i dig the rawk and solid production, as well as the political bent. johnny jay........again, some of your best production to date and strong vocal work gives you the edge over the seattle crew, who did a really cute, well done, tune which will surely get lots of votes so it doesn't need mine. i'll have to give all 4 another listen but all 4 were to say the least......very tasty.
Hi!
h
A New Player

Post by h »

bell green i like the guitar in general and the delays or reverbs (?) that accentuate the "what's in it for me" chorus...

ministry of noise nice drums! yeah, this is building up... yeah!...oh wait... where did the song go? HAHAHAHH "terrorists hate our freedom!" ah... funny, but i don't like it as much as the intro... then the outro gutar solo is great... i want a remix of just the intro and outro, hehehe

jay string i can pop and lock to this in really tight adidas jumpsuits

sell crazy i like the brushed drums... and excellent chorus... i'm singing along! awesome

henrietta i love your singing... thanks for ruining it for all of us by being so much better than anyone else! religious references? hahaha VOTE hey, can you do some vocals for a song i did? i recorded a version the vocals, but they're terrible, pretty please? cherry on top?

kenssuperchoctothorpethebearnrachael ah, the production is very cool

ross durand i like the trumpets. and it's nice to hear the word "entropy" in a song every once in a while... =)

history man ween and beastie boys doing a rolling stones cover while at the bottom of a well and recorded over the phone. excellent.

dark liberty the 80's are back!!! for the 5th time this decade.... whose voice is that... i'm imagining a 14 yr old kid rapping it which makes it interesting in a good way

a music hmm... superman... kilimanjaro... spoken intro... i'm diggin it

kama sutra another spoken song... another casiotone beat, another string synth from the midi bank... you'd think that by now we'd all be sick of it, but i'm still liking it...

kamakura 80s again on this fight. this time more depeche mode style. even the vocal production styles with the near vocal and the far vocals... i'm enjoying the drums and the fun synth lines.

there's lots of 80's type synth music and i actually enjoyed it this time, but henrietta wins this fight for me. just fun to listen on repeated occasions. sell crazy a close second

=)

spoken bits: a music, dark liberty, jay string, kama sutra, kamakura, kensuper and ministry of noise is almost half spoken... that makes 6.5 out of 12! is this common? all this "talking"

/h
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Reviews (with some comments from my wife who was listening in)

a music – Good effort – nice ideas but you don’t quite pull it off. I like the funny little noise in the background.

Bell Green – Sounds like a whiny American teenager singing an Oasis song. That’s not a good thing. Not your best Mr Green
(Mrs Caravan Ray says: Is that an Oasis song?)

Dark Liberty – If you must enter both fights – at least change your name for one – it fools everybody! I much prefer your “I Hate You”

Henrietta – This is just sensational. Great song and truly wonderful vocals.
(Mrs CR says: Wow – she’s really good! Better then that Frankie Laine crap you do…)

Historyman – This is great. Sound-wise it seems to be lacking something – but cool in a Beastie Boys sort of way
(Mrs CR hates the Beastie Boys)

Jstring – I like this – the best Jstring outing so far. Backing music is very cool
(Mrs CR says: This is good – it sounds like Gary Numan
CR says: You like Gary Numan?!?!
Mrs CR says:…whatever)

Kamakura – Kamakura does Devo! Like the music and the vox are good. I like this a lot. Well done.

Kama Sutra – Not bad – spoken vocals work well. Doesn’t really keep me in all the way through though

Ken etc – Good fun song – I like it. Slightly obvious for the title I suppose – but there’s nothing wrong with that.

Sell Crazy – Pretty good – but not really jumping out and grabbing me

Ross Durand – I briefly considered going down the same lyrical path – I’m glad I didn’t. I don’t think it’s working. You sound like a dorky science teacher trying to impress the kids with how cool you are. Great trumpets though, as always.

Ministry of Noise – Funny, Caravanraysian polititians sound just like Australian ones
(Mrs CR says: You and your bloody guitar feed-back…
CR says: shhhhh – I’m posting under an assumed name
Mrs CR says: …oh shut up and play Henrietta again)

Good efforts by Historyman, Kamakura and JString – but Henrietta wins by a mile
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

jack wrote:ministry of noise
...this makes me think max the cat had something to do with this..
Wow - I certainly take that as a compliment! (and all the other nice stuff too) :D
Thornberry
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Bass, Drums, Recorder,, Vocals, Haromica
Recording Method: M-Powered Pro Tools 8 via Profire 2626
Submitting as: Thornberry

Post by Thornberry »

Hey everyone who is planning on reviewing this song...

When i sent my email for this song, the emailhad an error and the attachment dissappeared, and so i didnt make the cut.
If you have time, go to http://www.myspace.com/thornberrysinging where this song should automatically start playing. I would really appreciate you including me in these reviews if you have time. I worked quite hard on this song and was very dissappointed to not see my song up there on friday:(

Thanks everyone! I havent been able to listen to all the stuff yet, but most of it sounds awesome!
h
A New Player

Post by h »

thornberry cool guitar and vocals, the drums come in cool.... WHOA! cool keys. cool solo at the end too...i just woke up my cousin at 2:44 in the morning with this song and he said that it was really good and that he thought it was classic from "1945 or something" hahahaha.... he didn't like the ending, tho...

he's half asleep.... but i guess that just makes the review more honest....
Ross
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Vox, Bass, Tuned glasses, etc...
Recording Method: Logic on a Macbook.
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Ross »

jack wrote:dude, is that your brother on the horns? nice!
Nope, it's me. But thanks for the complement!
Caravan Ray wrote:You sound like a dorky science teacher trying to impress the kids with how cool you are.
Yeah, well, you pretty much nailed me there - you should hear my photosynthesis song!
Great trumpets though, as always.
You may have me confused with my brother Steve, who submits lots of cool horn-based tunes.
"I don't like this song, but at least it's good." - veGetar Ianra Ge
http://www.rossdurandmusic.com
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

rdurand wrote:
Great trumpets though, as always.
You may have me confused with my brother Steve, who submits lots of cool horn-based tunes.
Oh sorry - yep, I just see the name Durand and think "horny". Will make mental note for future that Steve is the horny one :)
Henrietta
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Vox, Kazoo
Recording Method: None
Submitting as: Quimby, Nouveau Pauvre
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Henrietta »

Remember I'm listening to these through mediocre computer speakers....

Ken & Glenn & Rachel & #: Great playing & vocals all around. Definitely a keeper. The only bit that felt strange is holding on that chord for so long after the word "arrested"... it's almost like there's meant to be another lyric or instrumental fill in there or something, I dunno. Muy excellente.

Dark Liberty: If it were 1989, this would be awesome. There's a lot of good ideas in here, so please keep submitting.

Durand Durand:
Maybe it's these darn computer speakers, but I'd like to hear the instrumentation louder in the mix and the drums quieter- dems some good horns. It's funny, I started thinking "vocal harmonies would be really great in this song"... and at that very moment vocal harmonies suddenly appeared. So, yay. :)

Henrietta:
It feels really great to write a song I don't hate.

Ministry of Noise: The drum intro & buildup rocks and I'm totally into this straight away. Your voice really works, and so do the cynical lyrics. At first listen, I didn't really get into the ending but on the third listen I do. Keeper.

J$: I always like your stuff. There's plenty o' impressively creative layering in this one, which is in fact a perfect contrast to the deceptively simple melody lines. Plus your vocals sound great. This is a keeper.

Kama Sutra:
Are you making up the spoken word bit as you go along?

Bell Green: This is really good- the "What's in it for me" line is addictive. I'd love to hear this played by a full band with percussion & bass & electric guitars & the whole show. I realize that's a rather hypocritical thing for Henrietta to say.... I'll keep this.

Kamakura: I don't know much about electronica. Sounds great and really well programmed, although somewhat repetitive (but which is probably just inherent of the genre and since I don't know any better I'll shut up now).

Sell Crazy: I want to sing along. :) Great hook. I guess I need to read the lyrics, though, cuz I'm missing why the title is Obey the Laws. I'll gladly keep this.

Historyman: I love the retro feel in the beginning. I lose the groove after the third measure of the pennywhistle solo, and the rap section isn't as fun as the first :40. Keeper.

a music: I like the crazy music..... it reminds me of a toy I had when I was 5. The lyrics are pretty good- I do really like the "spaceman" bits and the gravity concept, but the lyrics overall could be stronger.

Oh crap. I dunno who to vote for.....

Oh yeah, Thornberry: That's some darn good playing. I really enjoyed listening to this, and look forward to your future entries. Songwriting-wise, it isn't a departure from what I already expect to get from a blues song, but with good vocal & production chops that's easy enough to overlook.
Steve Durand
Panama
Instruments: trumpet, trombone, sax, clarinet, flute, keyboards, banjo, guitar, bass, ukulele
Recording Method: SONAR 6, Dell Inspiron E1705, Edirol UA-25, Studio Projects B-1 Mic
Submitting as: Steve Durand, Elastic Waste Band

Post by Steve Durand »

Caravan Ray wrote: Will make mental note for future that Steve is the horny one :)

He, he, he!

Steve
Henrietta
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Vox, Kazoo
Recording Method: None
Submitting as: Quimby, Nouveau Pauvre
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Henrietta »

h wrote:can you do some vocals for a song i did? i recorded a version the vocals, but they're terrible, pretty please? cherry on top?
As long as you don't need it in time for this week's fight deadline, I can. Just PM me the details, and I'll work on it over the weekend. :)
Bell Green
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Bell Green »

Henrietta wrote:

Bell Green: This is really good- the "What's in it for me" line is addictive. I'd love to hear this played by a full band with percussion & bass & electric guitars & the whole show. I realize that's a rather hypocritical thing for Henrietta to say.... I'll keep this.
Glad you liked it. My plan was to do a full production number on it, but didn't have time this week. So because I had already written the song and didn't want to miss the deadline so I did a live unplugged version.
so . . . when was the last time you backed up?
gduncan
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Submitting as: Sell Crazy

Post by gduncan »

a music - this is a strange little song that I couldn't really get into. Some of the rhymes made me smile though.

Bell Green - a nice enough song but I was a bit put off by the part that just goes back and forth on the same two chords. That bit didn't seem that interesting to me.

Dark Liberty - this is a little cheesy but there's nothing wrong with that. It made me laugh so even though I'm not a fan of the genre it's ok by me.

Henrietta - to me the guitar sounds like it's in front of the vocal and I think the vocal should be at the fore. Good performance of a pleasant song.

Historyman - too much distortion. Sounds like there might be a catchy song behind the weird production though.

Kamakura - this seems to be the strange experimentation fight :). I really don't know what else to say other than I liked some of lyrics.

Kama Sutra - if you're going to do a spoken words song please do it to a rhythm, it makes it so much more interesting.

Ken's Super Choctothorpe, the Bear n' Rachael - silly but fun.

Ministry of Noise - I don't think the gravelly voice suits you. Sounds a little forced. This seems to rely too much on weird noises to make it interesting.

Ross Durand - I'm not that keen on this song but the brass is nice, the pitch could do with being a little tighter though.

Thornberry - sounds like fairly standard blues to me. Your singing is good but parts of the accent sound a little forced and so don't sit that well with me.

Cheers,

Gareth.
Kamakura
Panama
Instruments: Drums, Guitar, Keys, Howling
Recording Method: LogicPro
Submitting as: Kamakura

Post by Kamakura »

Obey all the laws – Light hearted reviews
Firstly this was one ‘weird’ fight. Don’t know why: Perhaps the time of year

A Music
Did you record this in a pigeon loft? Unfortunately thanks to Hollywood I’m all superhero’d out.

Bell Green
I didn’t know this was you at first. You sound very American. Bright ‘n crisp recording, which is good. Somewhat repetitive which isn’t.
‘Wave intoxicating substances goodbye’. Good lyric, bad idea ;)
The way you sing ‘What’s in it for me’ sounds like Oasis.

Dark Liberty
If you find your muse you could be good. I’ll keep listening.

Henrietta
Fabulous voice. Fabulous, just about does it. I would have liked to have heard a bit of slide… But you can’t have everything.
Keeper.

Historyman
I dislike this. Major genre bias.

Jaystring
I knew this was J$ before the vocal started. Why? I don’t know. Lyrically interesting, but I miss the guitar. It reminds me too much of a nursery rhyme. ASBO Freaks - good name for a band!
Keeper (to add to the collection).

Kamakura
Put together using loops from the stalwarts at http://www.tapegerm.com An experiment I much enjoyed and aim to be repeating. Try it!

Kama Sutra
Erm… Yes. You could have done a lot more with the backing, which was very John Carpenter. Do you still have the sign? Do I care?

Ken’s Super ROctothorpe ‘n Rachel
Love it. This made me laugh a lot. Bagpipes?
Keeper.

Caravan Ray
This very nearly had me upset (actually I was fuming) until I realised you were being ironic… You were weren’t you? The drums were good.

Ross Durand
Not as good as last week, but then that was special. I really like the lyrics.
Keeper

Sell Crazy
Not quite hooky enough. A filler track rather than a single. But what I said last week still holds, and you could always prove me wrong…
Keeper.

Thornberry
Mmm. Nice. Good voice. I miss Blues. The organ seemed out of place. The guitar solo was solid, but the fade at the end was a cop out... Live this would have been ace.

Yup. A very weird fight altogether. My vote goes to Henrietta. With ‘Ken’s Super ROctothope ‘n Rachel’ a jolly close second.
PS http://www.tapegerm.com - You know you want to.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

https://kamakura.bandcamp.com
Thornberry
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Bass, Drums, Recorder,, Vocals, Haromica
Recording Method: M-Powered Pro Tools 8 via Profire 2626
Submitting as: Thornberry

Post by Thornberry »

kamakura wrote:
"...but the fade at the end was a cop out... Live this would have been ace"

I agree whole-heartedly. You dont know the HELL i went through to even get that ending. When i went in to edit the song to make it12 bars longer for my guitar soloist,Clark, to have a bit more time to jam, my entire ending just disappeared. So it took a lot of work just to get that, but thanks everybody for the reviews, i know it was a inconvience and i really appreciate it:)

BTW, I dont have time to review, but i took a listen through all of them and there were some incredible songs in here, but Henrietta got my vote;)
Kamakura
Panama

Post by Kamakura »

Thornberry wrote:BTW, I dont have time to review
Feeble.
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

Kamakura wrote: I miss the guitar.
Oddly, I don't at all. However a little birdy tells me that it might be worth checking a certain sub-minute-long part of a longterm music project in next week's 'Tigerlilly' if johnny cashpoint not jay string is your bag ...
It reminds me too much of a nursery rhyme.
You say that like it's a bad thing ... :)

j$
Kamakura
Panama

Post by Kamakura »

j$ wrote:
Kamakura wrote: I miss the guitar.
Oddly, I don't at all. However a little birdy tells me that it might be worth checking a certain sub-minute-long part of a longterm music project in next week's 'Tigerlilly' if johnny cashpoint not jay string is your bag ...
Erm. I like your guitar playing persona, but in hindsight (or hind hearing) it wasn't needed. As to bag. You're both in there, though I have to say It brasses me off when people constantly change their damn names... Grrr.
j$ wrote:
Kamakura wrote:It reminds me too much of a nursery rhyme.
You say that like it's a bad thing ... :)
So sorry if it came out that way. I Listened again and what I probably meant to say was:
The song is very dark. The chorus invokes a 'The Wall', '1984' image of blank eyed kids in a classroom singing (they sing the same everyday). I like it a lot, but it needs a more in depth production, a la Gary Neuman, or indeed Pink Floyd.

OK?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

https://kamakura.bandcamp.com
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

Oh, I don't mind at all - I am away from my usual set-up for another week or so .. so it kind of dictates what I can achieve. I am pretty pleased with this 'Jay String' persona ... taking my influences from somewhere between Missy Elliot & Chicks on Speed - so you're more than welcome to say 'it's not immediately johnny cashpoint style' -

i take the fact that it's in your keeper file as a huge compliment ... there is most likely going to be a jay string album (and only one) in the near future - I have had a lot of time on my hands so I have been writing song for each title for the last four weeks ... be warned :)

j$