They're just dying to get in (Funeral Director Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
tonetripper
Mean Street
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Guitar, Drums, Sitar, Theremin, Lap Steel, Djembe
Recording Method: Cubase 6, Live 7, Reason 5, UAD 2, MOTU Ultralite, Mackie 1620i onyx
Submitting as: tonetripper, redcar, gert, draft and others

They're just dying to get in (Funeral Director Reviews)

Post by tonetripper »

I kill myself sometimes...... :twisted:
h
A New Player

Post by h »

i need a stapler and some super glue.
Denyer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Dunlop KT-26
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Denyer »

haha wtf PiGPEN is Jay-Z.
Niveous wrote:It's a song about your dick and there's just not enough material to satisfy.
AngryKowala
A New Player

Post by AngryKowala »

a music - Lou reed was sick once and he had a birthday party too! but he sang alot more than you, your lyrics are very good, i like them cause you're really dead and it's not really a party. best money i never spent, they should put that on the invitations.

comfort - guitar that is so good! at the first part, are you singing inside a catherdral? I hope so! So many echos! all @ once i am hearing alot of you toos! Do you have twin brothers. Also where is the bridge, i'm not talking startrek neither.

draft - ASHES TO ASHES! that is so raw and intense! shit dawg.

evile - shooobop! I was listening to FreshAir about how the people who wrote all the temptations songs made them, and i bet you did the same thing, but you don't have such a sweet MoTown voice. Yet! Practice makes Motown Perfect!

fancyadmiralcoats - What is this so crazy ness! i was hoping for a starwars movie, but then i was greeted by banjo! and DRUMS AND BASS! aw shit i'm in heaven! JUST A FORMALATY? I hope so!

johnnyinthecorner - it makes me melencoly! death is suppose to be happy and joyful, this is not that, but you got some good sqkrakkles that is always good.

landstander - aww i'm a sucker for singer songwriters and that guitar and sing sound, and adorable voices, we are gathered here today to morn the ulogies of broken hearts and empty lives and things that can't be said, cause they gone over our head.

no-uh-mac-glock-land- CEltic land of a million faces or horses and so many layers of melody, i think the guitar got a little destorted in the move . do you tour? i picked up a heavy casket and you're right SO heavy!

phuntyourfriends - Hello Circus Organ! Hello voice on the answereing machine! Hello Xylophone! OK snare DRUM! HELLO words like "I'm finally awake! I need that. somthing about falling on ones head? It wins for my vote. Cause it makes funeral directing so good "tell me where to go" Then at the end 'the allustriaus jabba the hut asked why he should pay 40,000?'
VOICE VOICE SKwiggle Skwiggle SKACK SKACK/. "translation " because he's holding a thermal detenator!""!"~

PIGPEN- the beeps are pretty good and then at then at the end they echo. and everytime i hear gunshots i'm getting paid! I know YOU should shoot them, cause it's real good for business!

pumpkinbuzzard - I got drowned up real bad on the river once and crushed my legs on the rocks and rapids, WAHHHHHHHHHHH GarrrdGGLLLEEE BLEEEED! WHAT IS THE MISSON!

rabidgarfunkle - You get it? Cause he he is the director of the funeral of our country? I once got beat in the head by a hippie with a sock full of pennies. Is that a Bass Guitar? I like it. The Fatwah does not extend to soilders, terry gross uncovered that as well.

rawstrengh+courage - Does a catagory like this warrent such macabre songs from every one, i'm not singleing you out or nothing, just thinking out loud. BACK BACK bibble bibble bip bap!
Bjam
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

Post by Bjam »

a music
Cute, and not bad, just nothing grab-y whatsoever. Your vocal delivery makes you sound really uncaring about this party.

comfort
The multiple voices are nice, and the guitar is very good and clean. Except the damn fret squeaks. Your voice is very very good in this song. At about 2:30 it all goes lovely, with the louder guitar and the 'de-ee-ee-eeeeal's. It's a very mellow song but I find myself digging it.

Draft
Ooh, nice. The vocals are damn good. It's got a nice rhythm, and I love at 1:15ish when it breaks down and then goes into a crazy guitar part. Overall it's a good rock song, and it's getting into my head. Nice job.

Evil-E
This is a very mellow song. The doubled vocals are nice, and the guitar is pretty nice. And tambourine, you get points for that. I'd like to hear the guitar a little less warbley, but it kinda adds that droney floaty background. My complaint would be that for a 4:33 song it doesn't change up that much. Well, it does but it still feels kinda long.

Fancy Admiral Coates
This is... rather strange. Hm. It changes up about every 30 seconds though, and I don't see any 'funeral director' references, unless... oh. The guy is directing a film called "Funeral" or something? Well, er, hm. Interesting take on the title, but not enough for me to be that interested.

Johnny in the Corner
I like the music lots, but I'm not digging the voice as much this week. The 'glories' are nice though. A nice song, it's just not sticking to me.

The Landstander
Your voice is very quiet, and the fret squeaks are ungoldy loud, but that sounds like a production issue more than anything. And I'm forgiving for that as my production isn't all that good usually either. This is nice though, it's just those fret squeaks that make it hard to listen.

Noah McLaughlin
Damn, that's nice guitar. Damn, that's a nice voice. (There's a guy that sounds just like you at my open mic. Strange.) Aw man, I'm a sucker for this music type. This is very pretty, and the distort-y-non-natural-guitar noise works.

Phunt; Your Friends
Well once this song gets started it's got quite a nice bounce. The beginning left-right-panning voices or whatever they were were just strange. The music to this one is lovely, but you need to decide on a vocal style. It goes from high to low to high. Very strange. What on earth...? The end. Um, okay. Well this is a strange one. Kinda creepy too :/

PiGPEN
Not a genre you hear much of on Songfight, but this isn't too bad. Too repetitive for my liking, but not that bad.

Pumpkin Buzzard
Nothing here works for me. Sorry, just not my thing and nothing grabs me.

Rabid Garfunkel
I like the music lots, it's just the song as a whole is kinda boring, and however much I love Bush's accent it's not enough to love this song.

Raw Strength and Courage
A little different from folky-girl-and-guitar ;) You have no idea how hard the vocals were to get. I kept wanting to belt the chorus. And kudos to stueym for the awesome guitar
Songfighter since back in the day.
h
A New Player

Post by h »

bjam Except the damn fret squeaks.
i worked so hard in getting the fret squeaks! hahaha seriously!!

phunt is the greatest
nyjm
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: acoustic guitar, electric guitar, synth, various MIDI instruments
Recording Method: Reaper, Line 6 POD, GLS Audio 57 and 58
Submitting as: noah mclaughlin, Ford's Theater Disaster, Juliet's Happy Dagger

Post by nyjm »

reviews first, reponses later:

a music
--- stumbling vox; you sound either bored or unprepared ---
/// kind of like the tone of your voice ///
--- doesn’t go anywhere ---

comfort
++ vox harmonies ++
+++ good pick-up at 1:00 +++
/// I’d like to hear more of a sonic palate, or perhaps just a bridge or a solo to spice things up ///

Draft
+++ guitar riff +++
--- “duuuuust!” ---
/// needs either a solo or something to drastic break the rock-mold ///

Evil-E
/// slow dance at the high school prom ///
--- the swirling sounds gets old ---
+++ crisp guitar work +++

Fancy Admiral Coates
+++ grabs my attention +++
/// tests my patience ///
--- doesn’t express anything clearly ---

Johnny in the Corner
+++ guitar riff +++
+++ suped-up, diced-up percussion +++
+++ breakdown near 1:20 +++
/// j$, your voice is signature, but I’m not sure it serves this song the best ///

The Landstander
--- string squeaks ---
--- too-quiet vox ---
--- too-constant rhythm in the verse recitation ---
/// live recording? ///

noah mclaughlin
--- who the hell is this guy and why doesn’t he leave us alone? ---

Phunt Your Friends
/// interesting ///
+ more structure than your earlier offerings +
--- lacks vocal melody ---
++ Emily Dickinson ++

PiGPEN
+ take on the title +
-- some rhythmic problems, stumbles --
-- too short; how about a catchy chorus? --

Pumpkin Buzzard
+++ fuzzy guitar +++
--- vox ---
/// has distinct possibilities, but lacks the necessary tension, at least early on; the last third finally gets it, teetering on the edge of implosion ///
/// is that a xylophone? It’s kinda cool, actually ///
+++ breakdown near 3:00 +++

Rabid Garfunkel
/// I love it when someone else has the same idea as I do ///
+++ creative sampling +++
+++ guitar scream and bass thump +++

Raw Strength & Courage
+++ opening guitar vamp +++
--- “funeral director” phrasing ---
+++ bridge +++
/// you have a nice voice, but with all the loud guitars, it seem kind of bare ///
/// go ahead, don't be shy: belt that chorus! ///
"You sound like the ghost of David Bowie." - SchlimminyCricket | it was a pleasure to burn | my website | Juliet's Happy Dagger
PiGPEN
Push Comes to Shove

Post by PiGPEN »

Denyer wrote:haha wtf PiGPEN is Jay-Z.
Retirement is hard.
tonetripper
Mean Street
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Guitar, Drums, Sitar, Theremin, Lap Steel, Djembe
Recording Method: Cubase 6, Live 7, Reason 5, UAD 2, MOTU Ultralite, Mackie 1620i onyx
Submitting as: tonetripper, redcar, gert, draft and others

Post by tonetripper »

nyjm wrote: Draft
Just curious if you listened to the tune with this comment. There is a pretty obvious solo in the tune at 1:23 of which I would never in a million months of Sundays conclude breaks the rock-mold. Naaaaa, I wanted to embrace the rock a la Melvins et al. This song was all about the rock/metal. I was almost thinking of going grindcore. Thanks for the review.
jute gyte
Mean Street

Post by jute gyte »

tonetripper wrote: I was almost thinking of going grindcore. Thanks for the review.
next week go grindcore.
"I believe the common character of the universe is not harmony, but hostility, chaos and murder." - Werner Herzog
jute gyte
nyjm
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: acoustic guitar, electric guitar, synth, various MIDI instruments
Recording Method: Reaper, Line 6 POD, GLS Audio 57 and 58
Submitting as: noah mclaughlin, Ford's Theater Disaster, Juliet's Happy Dagger

Post by nyjm »

tonetripper wrote:
nyjm wrote: Draft
Just curious if you listened to the tune with this comment. There is a pretty obvious solo in the tune at 1:23 of which I would never in a million months of Sundays conclude breaks the rock-mold.
i did listen to the song, however now that i re-listened to it i found your solo. i think i missed it the first time b/c it doesn't stand out enough from the rest of the music. the first time through my brain just processed it as "short interlude before singing begins again" not "guitar solo".

so, let me rephrase:

/// cool solo needs to stand out more, maybe even be a little longer ///
"You sound like the ghost of David Bowie." - SchlimminyCricket | it was a pleasure to burn | my website | Juliet's Happy Dagger
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

Reviews recorded on cell phone

Phunt Your Friends
Noah McLaughlin
Pigpen
Evil E
Comfort
Johnny in the Corner
The Landstander
A Music
Pumpkin Buzzard
Fancy Admiral Coates
Raw Strength & Courage

Draft and Rabid Garfunkel, for some reason your songs didn't get downloaded, so I haven't heard them. Sorry!
Last edited by Jim of Seattle on Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Here's my record label page thingie with stuff about me if you are so interested: https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/
Bjam
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

Post by Bjam »

Jim of Seattle wrote: In reading the previews reviews just now I learned that Landstander is Bjam. That makes perfect sense. If I were a teenager I'd have a gigantic crush on you I think.
:-/ Landstander isn't me. RS&C is me.
Songfighter since back in the day.
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

Oh yeah, I misread the thread.
Here's my record label page thingie with stuff about me if you are so interested: https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/
stueym
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Cubase/Stenberg CI2+/Roland VG-99/RolandGR-55
Submitting as: stueym

Post by stueym »

Jim of Seattle wrote:Reviews recorded on cell phone

Raw Strength & Courage
Why thank you Jim....I was so totally ripping on the Clash so very happy that it had you fooled for that moment or two... Everything in the band apart from Bjam's vocal is me, I think it got silly when I got to 4 guitar parts all doubled at one point. This was really a first experiment in trying to get Bjam to step outside her safe and secure accoustic G&G style songs. As she commented in her reviews we nearly came to blows recording the vocal as she was singing way too nice...maybe grungifying her voocal would have worked...hmmm must try that.

We had a lot of fun making it and I think it had the desired effect. Sorry it didnt move you other than my first 20 seconds of riff....at least I didnt follow the guitar riff with the ominous sliding bass notes!!!! :P
"You know, I rather like this God fellow. Very theatrical, you know. Pestilence here, a plague there. Omnipotence ... gotta get me some of that."
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man

Post by Jim of Seattle »

I think you were successful in getting Bjam to angrify her voice a little. I was actually digging her performance.
a music
A New Player

Post by a music »

Wee! What a fun review. Thanks for taking the time and the minutes. Hope they were evening and weekend minutes.
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man

Post by Jim of Seattle »

Doesn't cost any minutes, as it's just a voice recorder on the phone. But you had me worried about that for a second...

Yeah, they're fun. I was thinking of actually submitting a whole a cappella song someday that I wrote and recorded on my cell phone in the space of a single commute.
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

jim, your little WAV reviews don't seem to play on my Mac.
Last edited by jack on Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hi!
Rabid Garfunkel
Jump
Instruments: Absurdity
Recording Method: iPhone, GarageBand & rando apps/toys
Submitting as: OZYMANDIPUS, Rabid Garfunkel, Primitive Screwheads
Pronouns: that guy

Post by Rabid Garfunkel »

jack wrote:jim, your little WAV reviews don't seem to play on my Mac.

maybe it's just me. oh well, thanks or fuck you. :)
Weird, Jack. Clicking on one in Safari (since we're both running Minis of the same vintage) brought it up in another window and started the whole playing thing playing. Erm, right click and d/l to play it with iTunes? Sacrifice a frat boy on the bluff and throw him into the surf? Eat your vegetables left handed with a cast-iron chopstick? Beats me, quite roughly too.

It was Jim's Phunt review that I tested, heh. I missed that iteration of JoS.

And hey, Jim, nice avatar. Goes well with my entry in this fight. :)
"Urban cartoon music." -- Paco Del Stinko
Be my friend? --- Song of the Day
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

hm. i was trying it on an OS9 mac but i'll try it on my mini w/OSX like you said.

thanks for the advice rabid.
Hi!
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

jack wrote:jim, your little WAV reviews don't seem to play on my Mac.
it works for me in OSX/safari (thanks again rabid)

and thanks jim!
Hi!