Welcome to the reviews page.

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
j$
Gemini
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Mostess wrote:Oh, I think you're missing the point. There's a juxtaposition of the computer's mechanical attempt to seem friendly and pleasant with Jim's furious creativity. The result is a pretty profound comment on what people who work with computers do---try to make something human using pieces of something pseudo-human..
this is what you take it to be and it may well have been what Jim attempted, but in all seriousness and with due deference to Jim's songwriting and playing abilities,can you really justify that interpretation from that music and its single 5 second every-day sample motif? It's a very clever aural gag, with added pretty piano music. Are you sure the rest isn't coming from your own conception of Jim, with all his cleverness, and musical ability / knowledge?

EDIT:A more succinct way of putting this:"You eat what's on the plate, not what's on the menu."

Of course, I may be wrong. I am sure Jim will talk about the song in due course; but until that point, I currently consider this song all surface, no feeling.

Like i said, not intended as a dig at Jim or Hostess, and certainly not a dig at instrumental music in general, just a thing.
Last edited by j$ on Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
rone rivendale
Odie
Instruments: Electronica, nothing real
Recording Method: Fruity Loops, Goldwave
Submitting as: Rone Rivendale
Pronouns: he/him

Post by rone rivendale »

Personally I thought the song was beautiful, with or without the windows sounds. But I really enjoy piano music which makes me a little biased.

But everyone is entitled to their opinion of what they like and dislike. And we're lucky because there are so many songs this time around that there are 5 or 6 at least that everyone will love. Makes voting pretty darn hard.
From spoken word to actual singing, I can screw up any style with style. :D
posyden
Llama

lyrics

Post by posyden »

I hope everyone realizes that the line "the shit that I spit" isn't referring to saliva or feces in any way..

the shit....as in slang for 'all the stuff' (example: "look at all this shit in the closet)

spit...as in slang for 'rhyming' (example: "you should hear this guy spit rhymes"
Jim of Seattle
Grok
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

Hostess got it pretty much on the nose. There IS meaning behind it, but of course the lobby of the building has to be attractive enough for people to want to explore the back rooms of it. Hostess is talking about the back rooms, and others are talking about the lobby. I cannot defend my lobby, but I can perhaps shed some light on the back room meaning behind it all. I'm greatly enjoying the comments, though. Thanks so much for everyone paying such close attention. I'm flattered to be entertaining the thought that the music is worth such attention. :-) I'll talk to what I was going for anon, after I review everything else, which is a higher priority right now.

Stylistically, as for the 18th century comments, Boltoph has also hit it on the nose. I tried to channel Beethoven in some of the pianism, so Im pleased he picked that up, but my Gershwin DNA could not be completely subsumed.
Here's my record label page thingie with stuff about me if you are so interested: https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/
j$
Gemini
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

starfinger wrote: this singer sounds like a complete studmuffin ... definitely a step up from wiping old mens' butts ... your vocals are like a subtle vacuum cleaner, sucking tears from my eyes... in the final scene of the movie, everyone will die, but will have no clue how it happened. Some other music will play then .... We should totally manilowfight.
Craig R Tanis, you must review more often. These made me laugh and again. Succinct, funny, cool but actually true as well. A perfect combination! Yes review again but only after making 50 new tremendous songs! oh, and
sounds more like J$ than 'tiny paws'.
There is an audible difference in style between j$ and tiny paws stuff? I never really thought there was - just speed of recording! (oh and less dirtyness.) Cool! Care to elucidate?

j$
Meatwad
Alpaca

Post by Meatwad »

starfinger wrote:
klownhole: love the wailing. this is very
faith-no-more/melvinsy. not too keen on the talking parts, but
that's no dealbreaker. love the guitars. love the sludgy
directionlessness of it all. i don't like the fact that the outro
noise is all in my left ear.
Sorry man, no guitars. All basses. All your basses belong to us.
fodroy
Grok
Instruments: none
Recording Method: ears
Submitting as: praise muzak

Post by fodroy »

starfinger wrote:his name is dan: weird intro! what are you making your beats with
nowadays? i love the falsetto stuff. this is pretty good dan,
dan. and i like dan. what a sensitive lyric: "everything is alive
in your eyes". definitely a step up from wiping old mens' butts.
for beats i'm using garage band. it's not the best program for that, but it works. i'll use what i can get my hands on.

and yeah, i guess i've been going more "sensitive" with my lyrics lately. you can write about wiping old man butts forever. but then there are some crude lines on the "four songs" EP. "i go into a corner and lick upon my testes."

thanks for the review...and also thanks to the other reviewers so far.
starfinger
Claude
Instruments: electricity
Recording Method: traveler mk1
Submitting as: starfinger

Post by starfinger »

Meatwad wrote: Sorry man, no guitars. All basses. All your basses belong to us.
don't be sorry! that gives me hope that i might be able to get sounds like this.

-craig
"Starfinger for president!!!" -- arby
"I would 100% nominate you for the Supreme Court." -- frankie big face
herojima
A New Player

Post by herojima »

Egg wrote: Tell the bandmates that you guys sound good.
I'm the only other bandmate, thanks. Boltoph takes care of 66% of this COTC entry. its true, i used 7 tracks and he used 14. if you include mixing, he takes care of 95% of the song.

Great songfight. I dont really have the time right now to write reviews but my keepers were
Jim of Seattle
JB
Neptunian Kit (i cant figure out who's this is)
Piracy Undermines Creative Expression!
and
Ross Durand. I will save this one for when i have kids.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible" - FZ
Tacocoatlus
A New Player

Post by Tacocoatlus »

I'm the Taco Conspiracy guy (the -coatlus thing is because my less-sampley alterego Quetzalcoatlus might make make an appearance here later). I'll listen to all these songs later, for right now I've just been scanning this thread for comments about me.

[quote="boltoph"]
Taco Conspiracy – The reverb on the vocals really feels like a “dreamâ€
Meatwad
Alpaca

Post by Meatwad »

[quote="Tacocoatlus"]I'm the Taco Conspiracy guy (the -coatlus thing is because my less-sampley alterego Quetzalcoatlus might make make an appearance here later). I'll listen to all these songs later, for right now I've just been scanning this thread for comments about me.

[quote="boltoph"]
Taco Conspiracy – The reverb on the vocals really feels like a “dreamâ€
Smalltown Mike
Mixtral
Submitting as: shrts, Sewer Ppl, Flaming Tiger, shrts, shot pounder, Gert, Slither, Gaping Maw

Post by Smalltown Mike »

Meatwad wrote: Niiice! V-E-N-O-FUCKING-M!
Stand up and be counted! Rip riiiiiiiiiiiiiide!!
Punk rock is for children. Grab a six-pack at Half-a-Dozen Records.
HeuristicsInc
Gemini
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

Tacocoatlus wrote:my less-sampley alterego Quetzalcoatlus
Hey, did you know that the Dollar Bill & the Inkpoints version of "In Bed" is about your alter-ego? Rockin'.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Mogosagatai
Mixtral

Post by Mogosagatai »

<b>Bovine Market</b>: Something about the way the sappiness and joviality mix doesn’t settle well with me. However! your enormous attention to detail is very much appreciated—I never get tired of listening, thanks to the constant changing between parts, and also to all the little extra touches (like “Chocula!â€
starfinger
Claude
Instruments: electricity
Recording Method: traveler mk1
Submitting as: starfinger

Post by starfinger »

Mogosagatai wrote: <b>Brainpipe</b>: I’ve always found an odd kind of darkness in all Starf’s songs, even though they’re silly and about food.
You know what's scary? I didn't even realize this song was about food until late in the process. I could accidentally write a song about food at any time.

It's embarrassing!

-craig
"Starfinger for president!!!" -- arby
"I would 100% nominate you for the Supreme Court." -- frankie big face
Tacocoatlus
A New Player

Post by Tacocoatlus »

HeuristicsInc wrote:
Tacocoatlus wrote:my less-sampley alterego Quetzalcoatlus
Hey, did you know that the Dollar Bill & the Inkpoints version of "In Bed" is about your alter-ego? Rockin'.
-bill
I followed songfight for a while before I decided to actually contribute, but I think I missed that fight. I'll check that out.

And now it's review time. Sheesh, 94 minutes worth of songs, how do you people do this every week? Well, I'm gonna see how many I can get through (I plan to try for at least half maybe), and then review the rest later.

Bax. Excellent AC/DC style parody, that verse riff instantly brings to mind images of Angus Young dancing around in schoolboy clothes. Some great over-the-top lyrics as well ("got the doomsday clock as my pocket watch/ got alcoholic saturday night"). The drums are a little too tinny and fake to work in a "hard rock" type setting, but in a charming kind of way.

Bewells. Pretty, but sleepy. "Sleepy" isn't always bad if you're in the mood for it though, and the chorus harmonizing is great. The vocal reading is maybe a little more dramatic than I like normally, but it works in that it adds to the portentous feel of it.

Brainpipe. I like that "evil" sounding keyboard line, but verse melodies that follow the lead instrument pretty much exactly are the enemy of the American people. That said, the vocals have got an awesomely over-the-top "manly" bellow going on, there's a great quirky new wave/garage rock feel to the music, and the idea of a song about getting cooked in a microwave is genius.

Corn On The Cob. And suddenly I'm instantly transported to mid-90's alt-rock radio. I mean this in a good way though, this is kind of like a solid lost gem you'd hear on the radio once in a while around 1995, only to eventually get consigned to the cutout bin because too many people were buying the new Live album or something. The chorus melody is quite catchy, you manage to harness the soft-loud thing without it feeling too predictable, my only beef is that the "welcome to welcome to welcome to" backing vocals get annoying.

Cow Exchange. For one I'm a sucker for good wordplay, so you've definitely got me there ("cocoa co-dependence, "down for the count (chocula)", etc). This is a pretty great varied melody as well. I could use more percussion though.

Dankins. Somewhere between Aphex Twin and music from a dungeon level from a nintendo game. As an instrumental it does manage to hold my attention throughout.

Dr Water. Very nice meloncholy Neko Case-ish feel, and the vocals definitely sell it. I could do with less spare instrumentation though, and it seems to end just when I'm starting to really get into it.

En Passant. Pretty ramshackle, but somehow in a way that's kind of appealing. There's kind of an interestingly bizarre contrast between the "bunch of drunken friends who aren't sure how to play their instruments trying to improvise a song" feel of the instrumental and the vocalist earnestly singing his emo heart out as though this were the most natural backing arrangment in the world.

Excuse The Production. Again pretty minimalist, but in a way that works better because there's the guitar interplay and vocal interplay going on.

His Name Is Dan. This feels like it has potential, but the vocals are way too "just got out of bed" and the drum machine and guitar don't quite seem to be in time with each other.

Ok, that was almost half. I'll try to continue the rest later.
posyden
Llama

yo

Post by posyden »

"I did get a kick out of “and I’m just too unique.â€
Dan-O from Five-O
Claude
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Drums, Mandolin all graded on a sliding scale
Recording Method: Mixer to a Fostex D-160

Post by Dan-O from Five-O »

Welcome to the reviews indeed.

I can’t believe I’m voluntarily subjecting myself to this, but I felt obligated because I had a song written and, once again, failed to make the deadline. Anyway, in alphabetical order:

<b>Bax</b> My first, second and last thoughts were AC/DC cover band, which may or may not be offensive to you. If it’s the sound you were going for, congratulations because you found it. It’s recorded well, and the playing isn’t half bad. The guitars sound fucking great, I’m talking great! I personally think the whole Satan thing is played, but write what you know I always say. Again, the mix is good, everything sounds well balanced and recorded, it’s just a 20+ years old sound, nothing ground breaking.

<b>BeWells</b> I like the instrumentation and the backing vocals a lot. The lyrics tell a solid story. The mix is solid and well panned, but there were times I was thinking things were a little too hot when recorded and there’s no real way to get rid of that type of distortion. I went through and rechecked all of volume levels and I was still getting a hint of it, mostly in those backing vocals I like, but a little on the guitar as well. And then, whoops. I found the issue. My daughter had the EQ all messed up. I know you’re thinking this doesn’t help, but it should. Always account for any variable when mixing, including 18 year old girls without knowledge of EQ.

<b>Brainpipe</b> This has a little to much echo on the drums. It’s to the point of being distracting. The lyrical content leaves a little bit to be desired. It’s original and all but I’m wondering if it’s a story that needed to be told. I would rather just stick my food in and heat it up, as little as I use one I just don’t think it’s as evil as you’re making it out to be. Anyway, the mix could use some tweaking and by that I mean less effects. I don’t know if you could sing the song any straighter and keep the ridiculousness of the intent I suspect you’re going for, but it’s worth a thought.

<b>Corn on the Cob</b> I like those backing vocals a lot, nice ooo’s. I think that’s the hardest thing to accomplish sometimes. This is really, really solid in it’s construction. It’s got a solid pumping rhythm, a nice melody and good drive throughout. I’m not wild about the ending, I just feel like it could have been better served going out straight without the effect on the end. That may be the hardest thing to accomplish, knowing when to leave something as it is. Practice this phrase: Less is more, less is more.

<b>Cow Exchange</b> I love your stuff because of it being piano based and I wonder sometimes if I don’t cut your songs a lot of slack because of that. They say guitar players like me are just frustrated piano players, and bass players are frustrated guitarists, and drummers are just plain frustrated people who take out their aggressions on their instruments or innocent bystanders on the Internet. So maybe I do give you a lot of slack because I wish I could play like that, or write songs as clever and well put together as yours are. But then again, no, this is just another well written, cleverly composed, well mixed song by one of my favorite Songfighters.

<b>Dr. Worm</b> I really wish there was more of this song to like. Other instruments would add a lot to it. Lyrically it’s not bad, the chord progression is fairly rudimentary though. I think you’re a little bit out on a limb with the highest parts of your vocals, but you do stay in key. You just need to practice it a little bit to perfect it is all. Keep working at it, it will come.

<b>en passant</b> The beginning of this song is so unnecessary it’s beyond my ability to describe it. The rest of the stuff, the conversation in the background for instance, is just amateurish. There are times when the main vocal is off key. I remember being in a band like this a long time ago and we spent a lot less money to produce something this bad. Oh the ending is just as unnecessary as well.

<b>Excuse the Production</b> That’s not bad production my friend, those are bad notes on both the guitar and the vocals. Despite what some jazz players might tell you, there really are some notes that don’t fit together, and you’ve found them. Now if you remove them and come up with something that does work together, you might have the start of something.

<b>his name is dan</b> For some reason I was under the impression people in Indiana were more talented than this. Aside from the Ukulele, I’m not finding anything to like about this. The drum machine is cheap sounding, the lyrics are barely so-so, you don’t sing very well and the tape hiss is annoying as hell. I kind of like your name though, but you might be better served with Earl. At least people could go "His name is Earl".

<b>Hostess Mostess</b> Beautifully played guitars that are recorded about as well as guitars get recorded. The percussion is just the right fit, but probably doesn’t need as much effect on it. The harmonies at 1:45 need to be tightened up, but I’m guessing you know that. Was the child in the background at the end an accident or intentional. If it was an accident then I feel for you, I’ve got some of those sounds on my earlier recordings. I still get them every now and then, but I’m hoping when I hang this sign outside my studio, that might help. However it worked out, it kind of works for me.

<b>Jim of Seattle</b> OK Jim, you know the rules yet you flaunt them anyway. Is it fair that such a well thought out, incredibly creative, soundly constructed and terrifically recorded instrumental should be discounted simply based on the fact that it doesn’t have lyrics? Well yes and no I guess. Rules are rules and you would get a ticket for running through a stoplight. But the song contains a “reference to the titleâ€
jb wrote:Dan-O has a point.
JB
Meatwad
Alpaca

Post by Meatwad »

[quote="Dan-O from Five-O"]
<b>Klownhole</b> It’s really not my thing but I’m resisting my urge to go “Welcome to Aaaarrrrgggghhh!!!!â€
posyden
Llama

the name

Post by posyden »

actually the name Posyden is based off of Poseidon....It's a really long story involving...interdimensional travel....death..and reincarnation...and I'm not gonna type it all out...maybe some day I'll record it as a song
fodroy
Grok
Instruments: none
Recording Method: ears
Submitting as: praise muzak

Post by fodroy »

Dan-O from Five-O wrote:<b>his name is dan</b> For some reason I was under the impression people in Indiana were more talented than this.
what in the world would make you think that? :)
Last edited by fodroy on Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheScreech
A New Player

Post by TheScreech »

[quote="Meatwad"][quote="Dan-O from Five-O"]
<b>Klownhole</b> It’s really not my thing but I’m resisting my urge to go “Welcome to Aaaarrrrgggghhh!!!!â€