That's the longest one I've ever seen (RE-TVC Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Smalltown Mike
Mean Street
Submitting as: shrts, Sewer Ppl, Flaming Tiger, shrts, shot pounder, Gert, Slither, Gaping Maw
Pronouns: he/him

That's the longest one I've ever seen (RE-TVC Reviews)

Post by Smalltown Mike »

I think I have title-length envy.
Punk rock is for children. Grab a six-pack at Half-a-Dozen Records.
bz£
Panama

Post by bz£ »

You know, it just now occurred to me that, in the ID3 tag on my entry, I abbreviated "cycle" with an "s" instead of a "c." Shame, because I'm usually not quite that stupid. I may also have spelled rockopolousaninjananophone wrong in the e-mail I sent with my submission-- I sure hope that didn't cause any confusion.

Also, it's another seven minute instrumental, so feel free to skip it if that's not your thing. It's rockopolicious, though, so I don't recommend it!
Mogosagatai
Mean Street

Post by Mogosagatai »

To those who would call Phunt's RE-tVC inaccessible: I assure you, it contains at <i>least</i> two separate instances of a I-IV-V progression--maybe more!
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Re: That's the longest one I've ever seen (RE-TVC Reviews)

Post by Caravan Ray »

Smalltown Mike wrote:I think I have title-length envy.
crude sexual innuendo is so childish
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Okay bored of waiting for the new songs, I thought I'd review the lyrics in the thread instead, and thus confuse the hell out of people who are scrolling down through the threads and not paying full attention :)

In honour of the departed Josh Woodward, a Scoring card: (1-10 for effort) (1-10 for inspiration) Penalties: using 'cycle' to refer to a bicycle/mode of transport -5. Self-referential stuff about a) songfight b) how bad this title is c) how hard it is to write a song for a title like this -5 each.

Caravan Ray - is there a song title you can't write a slightly sleazy sex-boast about? I have problems with the 'vindaloony' line. But there are some great phrases in it. I hear a rockabilly song for some reason. -5 points for taking the 'cycle' as form of transport angle. (4, 7,-5) = 6

The various incarnations of Drew - ninjavana is cute. I can imagine this intoned, and I am not a fan generally of spoken word on top of music. -5 points for taking the 'cycle' as form of transport angle. But +5 for the psycho-pomp prog-rock indulgence of it. I hear an sos out-take, with lots of pedal indulgence! (6, 7, -5, +5) = 13

Me - This is a lyric I am very proud of, but I forgot to put in (or rather couldn't think of) the line that would decode it for the listener, so I guess it's a failure. -5 points for taking the 'cycle' as form of transport angle (part 4) and -5 points for playing the 'self-referential cop-out' card. (part 5) however +10 because I was fully aware of what I was doing when I wrote them, and the recognition of them add another layer to the meaning. *ahem* (9, 7, - 5, -5) = 6

Charcoal - great lyric. I hope the song goes on for about half an hour! I hear some excellent spaceman3 drone rock. (1,9) = 10

Puce & Plat - I love duets, although this plays the 'self-referential cop-out' card. -5 points! I hear metal. And whistling. With weird texturing in the background ;) (6,6,-5) = 7

Glenn Case - this is the best lyric I have read by you in a long time. It just has a warmth about it that's lacking from all others, except maybe Drew's. I hope you're not rapping it. Not that you aren't a good rapper - just like to hear it sung. I am hoping for a Cash-style ballad. Proably won't get it though! (6, 9) = 14

Jim Tyrell - Why couldn't you do this for any particular title you felt like? plays the 'self-referential cop-out' card. -5 points! I hear a 70s style G'n'G'bits thang, which I always like from you. (2,6, -5) = 3

Glenn wins the lyric half - but will he win the song half? Oh the tension ...
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

(ps have just heard sneak preview of Jim Tyrell's song, and annoyingly it's damn funky :). It is self-referential, but as I suspected/predicted, the vocal delivery takes a lot of sting out of it. You can listen to it and enjoy it without thinking too much about the significance of the lyric. Too short though!)
Me$$iah
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: I just bought a 12 string and a stratocaster with a whammy bar
Recording Method: Sonic-Core
Submitting as: infrequently as ever

Post by Me$$iah »

Reviwing the lyric thread.....WTF....Wat are you like..The unstoppable post machine. Can you not stop posting, is it like your arm hurts when the buzz of the last I.N. injection wears off.

Respect and all that .....you post demon, whats next for the BIG SHOCKER

Me$$iah

also j$, I love the spacemen3 refrence, you have an ecclectic taste. Next youll be refrencing The Dogs D'amour and Birdland
rone rivendale
Odie
Instruments: Electronica, nothing real
Recording Method: Fruity Loops, Goldwave
Submitting as: Rone Rivendale

Post by rone rivendale »

what else are we going to do when the next songs aren't up and it's 30 minutes till Wednesday here. =P

Just sit here and patiently wait, while posting to keep sane.
From spoken word to actual singing, I can screw up any style with style. :D
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

j$ wrote:is there a song title you can't write a slightly sleazy sex-boast about?
Yes,
Snoopy versus the Red Baron

...no, wait...strike that...how do you spell 'beagle-fokker"?
j$ wrote:I have problems with the 'vindaloony' line.
That line is gold mate, pure gold
j$ wrote: I hear a rockabilly song for some reason.
It's about as far from rockabilly as you can get - but strangely that WAS my original idea! I think the combination of 'Rock...', Indian references and the word 'cycle' made me think automatically of Freddie Mercury in the film-clip for "Crazy Little Thing Called Love"
bz£
Panama

Post by bz£ »

Sweet, the Vishnu Sycle got carried over into the file name!
Mogosagatai
Mean Street

Post by Mogosagatai »

Welp.... you were right, Johnny, our file's too big. So I took the middle portion of the song and sent just it (that's section II if you read the lyrics thread). Hopefully that'll be posted soon.

And if anyone's interested in hearing the other two sections, both of which are vastly different than section II, here they are:

<a href="http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=1453">The Vishnu Cycle - Rhy Ninjru's Wheel</a> (section I)

<a href="http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=1452">Rhy Ninjru's Wheel - Rockopolousaninjananophone Eternal</a> (section III)
WeaselSlayer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, keyboard
Recording Method: Garageband, laptop mic
Submitting as: Luke Henley

Post by WeaselSlayer »

Reviews:

Bombathon: Oh motherfuck my volume was up all the way. You make some dense dark electronic shit that I'm super into. Your low-end buzzes and Shadow Warrior melodies please me very much. And you change it up at the right times. Especially the popcorn all over the place laser blast. This is just super good. Also, if you ever want vocals to any of these tracks please let me know (though they're fine vocal-less).

Frankie and the Falangists: Sounds like you're into some mystical shit in the opening. And into Mike Patton. This has some atmosphere to it. And it builds in a very engaging way. The "never made it home" breaks are really really bone-quivering good. And the end is fantastic. Except the last "Vishnu" which makes Vishnu sound evil.

Ashok Henley and the Phunt Phamily: This was truly Phunted into the stratosphere, but I deserve credit as well because I am a genius.

Smalltown Mike: I like the riff, and this chorus has a great tone to it. Like, a Pennywise tone? Also, why does everybody think Vishnu is evil?

Glenn Case: On the open road again riff. Not quite an open road again voice, but the craft here is pretty solid. Nice change-up at the end and nice Beatles nod(?)

Jim Tyrell: I like the Beck-like break in here. And the Rockapella guest spot. I don't know though, somehow this is a bit clumsy to me. But like a very smooth clumsy.

Those Meddling Kids: It seems like not much is going on here at first, but there really is. There are so many vibes and ideas snaking over one another. Very tightly put together, too. I think of Tortoise, actually.

Charcoal: I like the hiss there is to this. And the sort of Deftones-by-way-of-Jeff-Buckley the opening is. It's dark and menacing. I like that post-rock is making its way into songfight. And I appreciate your use of a very extended opening. It doesn't even get boring, though I am spacing out a bit I'll admit. I kind of wish there were some My Bloody Valentine hushed vocals on this though. With real drums this would chill me, I'm sorry you don't have that available to you. This section after the long break is fantastic.

Caravan Ray: Garageband me Amadeus! This is very cartoonish, which I guess I should expect, but I wish I didn't expect it.

Mostly Harmless: Beverly Hills, that's where I wanna be. This is really well-done, where the hell did it come from? It's like the most pop-punk thing I've heard on songfight ever. That said, I stopped listening to this sort of thing a long time ago, so I can't really relate to it now.

Beefy: Silly-ass shit man.

Zombie Love Militia: A hell of a name, I hope you own up to it. Oh fuck, you do so far, this opening is some great shit. I'm really nervous this won't go anywhere, but I hope it does so badly. I'm staying with it! Magnificent!

Max the Cat: Everybody flew their freak flag this fight. Which I appreciate. I mean, I won't lie but this sounds influenced by the Phunt catalogue (and the Residents). Which is a super duper thing. I'm into this though, it's full of blips and clicks and slices.

Melvin: Is there a skeleton playing percussion in the back? Jack Johnson beach bro vibe going on. But it grooves alright.

Phunt: Though they're having some issues at the mome, I have heard the entire Phunt Vishnu track and it is their first true masterpiece. I'm not lying. It's absolutely chilling and brilliant. I love Phunt very much, they know what's up.
Adam!
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drum 'n' Bass (but not THAT Drum 'n' Bass)
Recording Method: Reaper + Stock Plugins
Submitting as: Max Bombast

Post by Adam! »

Reviews. Once you separate out the obvious chaff there’s a pretty high quality level in this fight. A lot of submitters went out on a limb and did something out-of-their-norm, and the results are generally quite good.
<center>Lame Instrumentals</center>
<b>Bombathon a.k.a. "Who?":</b> “Write a song based on the title of your choice.â€
Last edited by Adam! on Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

CARAVANRAY: It really doesn't get any better than this. This is probably the finest song I've heard in this or any other lifetime. Caravan Ray is the Sachin Tendulkar of songwriting.

CHARCOAL: I like the guitars a lot. Very Baitler Space-esque, even Sonic Youth-esque. It's a shame they weren't attached to some sort of a song.

SMALLTOWNMIKE: Hmmmm - seems to have that Canadian tight-trousered-hair-band thing going on - not for me.

BEEFY: Pretty shithouse

MAXTHECAT: What is this crap? Write a political song. Somethng Bush bashing. I found this hard to dance to.

BOMBATHON: Very shithouse

FRANKIE&THEFALANGISTS: There are a lot of nice sounding bits - but it doesn't really seem to fit together as a good song. Really good vocal performance - including vocal effects. I will listen again - I suspect this may grow on me more with time.

MELVIN: Nice. Good song, great vocals. I find myself singing Talking Head's "Heaven" though while I'm listening. Good effort.

THOSEMEDDLINGKIDS: Not bad - but not a song.

JIMTYRELL: Ha - this sounds a bit like mine - but without the dick jokes. Not at all unpleasant, but....

ZOMBIELOVEMILITIA: This is pretty damn good! The 2 voice thing reminds me of Velvet Undergrounds 'Murder Mystery'. That is a great ending

GLENNCASE: Brave to write a conventional-type song for this title - not really working for me.

ASHOKHENLEYANDTHEPHUNTFAMILY: Enjoying it at first - but overstays it's welcome

MOSTLY HARMLESS: Sounds great - some good lyrics, good vocals and a truly wonderful ending! As a whole though I fear the song may be slightly less than the sum of it's parts

PHUNTYOURFRIENDS: Years of substance abuse has left me with the attention span of a goldfish. Not only couldn't I dance to this - but I forgot why I stood up in the first place.

Re-listens required - but my vote will go to either the Frankies or the Zombies
Last edited by Caravan Ray on Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smalltown Mike
Mean Street
Submitting as: shrts, Sewer Ppl, Flaming Tiger, shrts, shot pounder, Gert, Slither, Gaping Maw

Post by Smalltown Mike »

Caravan Ray wrote:SMALLTOWNMIKE: Hmmmm - seems to have that Canadian tight-trousered-hair-band thing going on - not for me.
The 80s cockrock vibe is definitely what I was going for—I mean, what better venue in which to write a song about slaying a beast in your hometown? And I hated the music in high school, so I can appreciate you not digging the song now.

However, I'll bet any cheeseball 80s faux-metal band you can think of is from the U.S., not Canada. (Unless you're thinking of Helix or Honeymoon Suite. And THEY rock.)
Punk rock is for children. Grab a six-pack at Half-a-Dozen Records.
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

[quote="Puce"]<b>Frankie and the Falangists:</b> The mix is brutal. I found myself dreading the “hookâ€
Beefy
A New Player

Post by Beefy »

Hm. Seems I need to learn how to make beats. Or learn not to be "shithouse."
Adam!
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drum 'n' Bass (but not THAT Drum 'n' Bass)
Recording Method: Reaper + Stock Plugins
Submitting as: Max Bombast

Post by Adam! »

j$ wrote:
Puce wrote:I hate these lyrics (the song-in-six-parts thing feels like a cop-out to me)

It would be if they were. You can read a pretty full explanation / sleevenote to my song here
Thanks for the insight into the twisted mind of Johnny Cashpoint. :) Even after reading your explanation, I don't exactly get how the lyrics fit the over-arching theme about absolute truths only existing in fiction. It still feels like a song with three distinct parts: one about people choosing fantasy over reality, one about the impotence of deities, and one about... um... songfight. Still, it's cool that you put so much thought into them.
j$ wrote:
puce wrote: <b>Mostly Harmless</b> Although it isn't self referential ....

How can a song about how to write songs with difficult titles not be self-referential? - 15 points for trying to squirm out of it. :p
What a creative interpretation! The lyrics are about a biblical-era rock band who, for various reasons, are kicked off the tower of Babel. As you could imagine, demand for such a band to play shows would be pretty low, because vocalists that speak their own language are decidedly niche (although Sigur Rós seems to be doing OK). The only other thing the song touches on is how their instruments got "translated" as well. There is no mention of how to write songs with difficult titles.
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

Puce wrote:It still feels like a song with three distinct parts: one about people choosing fantasy over reality, one about the impotence of deities, and one about... um... songfight..
Well, you need to see it as variations on theme of the fantasy of the eternal meets the reality of death. The deities are as impotent as the roleplayer who wants a girlfriend who is as impotent as the created 'heroes' who eternally fail in their quest to get home, until their quest is taken away from them by cancellation.

I guess the theme is too big to give an single 'answer' except that the very point is there's no answer. But that might be considered a cop-out!

As for your lyric, you really need to read it as a listener as well as an author - let's just say I would hazard a guess that your Id disagrees with your ego ... :)
Mostess
Panama
Instruments: Vocal, guitar, keyboard, clarinet
Recording Method: Ardour 5, JACK, Ubuntu
Submitting as: Hostess Mostess
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Mostess »

Caravan Ray wrote: Snoopy versus the Red Baron
http://www.guntheranderson.com/v/data/snoopysc.htm

This one always struck me funny. More ways than one, I guess.
"We don’t write songs about our own largely dull lives. We mostly rely on the time-tested gimmick of making shit up."
-John Linnell
melvin
Push Comes to Shove

Post by melvin »

Ashok Henley & The Phunt Family: Like the “ragged and roomyâ€
hi!
Mostess
Panama
Instruments: Vocal, guitar, keyboard, clarinet
Recording Method: Ardour 5, JACK, Ubuntu
Submitting as: Hostess Mostess
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Mostess »

Melvin, your entry is lovely. Baby cry is hardly a strike against you. Some beautiful sounds in there. Easily my favorite.
"We don’t write songs about our own largely dull lives. We mostly rely on the time-tested gimmick of making shit up."
-John Linnell