Emo kids chopping onions (Brimming with Tears Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Emo kids chopping onions (Brimming with Tears Reviews)

Post by erik »

Not enough reviews? Well, cry me a river.
WeaselSlayer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, keyboard
Recording Method: Garageband, laptop mic
Submitting as: Luke Henley

Post by WeaselSlayer »

lol @ emo
rone rivendale
Odie
Instruments: Electronica, nothing real
Recording Method: Fruity Loops, Goldwave
Submitting as: Rone Rivendale
Pronouns: he/him

Post by rone rivendale »

*dyes his hair black and then stands with foot tapping in anticipation while softly cursing at the world and all of it's people and whining that no one likes him*

Emo enough? :P
From spoken word to actual singing, I can screw up any style with style. :D
Ryan
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Emofos

Post by Ryan »

Backpack- check
Diary - check
Pillow - check
7" vinyl - check

Ok, I'm ready to show up way too early for an Emo show!

Sup Songfighters! Look out for my next unfunny as well as possible colab with Ken in future. Oh- and someone find me a drummer for my
band
in the SF bay area- no, not Ken or Blue.
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

I like your website.

I've been accused of having a retarded sense of humour though... but it entertained me! (the website... I suppose my humour does too though....)
posyden
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Reviews

Post by posyden »

Andy-O....nice intro...I can't really find anything that stands out in this song...negative or positive

Hot Tob Combo.....theres not much about this song that I like...the lyrics were way to difficult to understand...the music was slightly annoying and scratchy...sorry

Ill Cricket Crew....OMFG is that a banjo...the banjo has confused me, but...confused in a good way...

Melvin....the start of the song made me dissappointed...then the music kicks in and I feel happy again...nice work on the lyrics too

Klownhole....did that just say..I make love to the microphone?....the music is fucking cool as are the lyrics....the vocals however are kinda scratchy, blurred, and annoying

The Poor....the music is kinda dull but it fits for the song (musical bias) nice work on the lyrics though

Rone Rivendale....wtf is this a techno song....no no it's not....ok in no way do the music and lyrics fit together (I think you made a horrible choice here) however I will say that the lyrics themselves are great

Star-Crossed Voyager....nice music, nice lyrics, nice work...the only thing I don't like is the vocals...but I don't really likemy own voice... so I can't really say much about other peoples voices
rone rivendale
Odie

Re: Reviews

Post by rone rivendale »

Okay, here are my first impressions based on listening to each song once. (I'll do longer ones later in the week)

Star-Crossed Voyager: The music is decent, although I am not a fan of the vocals. Not sure what it is. C+

Hot Tub Combo: The music sounds like the Weather Channel would do like when they do the local weather on the 8's. C-

Andy-O: I liked the lyrics in the beginning alot, but it kind of lacked by the time it ended. B-

Atlantean: I like the content of the lyrics. I can't help but find similarites between your style and mine, other than yours comes through better. B

The Poor: Nothing stood out as either good or bad. No 'hook'. C-

Klownhole: Definatly stands out musically. Can't understand most of the lyrics however and that hurts. C-

The Ill Cricket Crew: A little corny, but very well done. It's the kind of thing I don't want to like, but do anyway. B

Melvin: Most likely song to be played on the radio. It is the entry that sounds most like a professional song. B+

Going by my first impression, Melvin is my pick. But Atlantean and The Ill Cricket Crew are both worthy of my vote as well. Like I said I'll post something more detailed later on in the week.

shadow_speaker wrote: Rone Rivendale....wtf is this a techno song....no no it's not....ok in no way do the music and lyrics fit together (I think you made a horrible choice here) however I will say that the lyrics themselves are great
Yeah, if you've read my introduction thread, I am a Techno Rap artist. I thank you for the compliment about the lyrics. I believe the lyrics do sync with the music, however I do realize the music is subpar when compared to most other entries.
WeaselSlayer
Ice Cream Man

Post by WeaselSlayer »

Reviews:

Rone Rivendale: This is a bit like listening to Wesley Willis, except I don't think you're a schizophrenic homeless man. But you do sound upset about something.

Star-crossed Voyager: That keyboard is throbbbbbbing. Kind of reminds me of an Eels progression. Oh, hey chunky guitar, nice of you to chunk along. There's a cicada burrowing behind my ear. Ok, so your vocals, I think you could try to ease up on them. There's a heaviness here that seems out of place, like you put it there instead of letting it happen on its own. Maybe heaviness is the wrong word, but ease up on the diaphragm a bit, loosen up and your vocals will have a more slinky rinky sound to them. I hope, I could be wrong. I still like the keyboard.

Hot Tub Combo: My friend and co-pilot B is mostly to be credited with this. I think it's fucking gorgeous, he did some amazingly dense things with it. I just added the rambling guitar and the Microphones rip-off vocals. Good job though, B, you're pretty.

Klownhole: The opening makes me pretty flaccid. I don't know, this seems like a bit of a deflated Ween metal impression. Which isn't to say it's bad, but it's just not quite where I think it could definitely be. More manic vocals would amp this up a lotttt.

Atlantean: I guess I should have expected sad you hurt me lyrics, but still. This is watery, which fits the name, but it's not really in a good way. The whole thing sounds like a cake that never rose. I feel awkward listening to the lyrics.

Andy-O: This charms the hell out of me for some reason. And I'm a sucker for drawled stories of preachermen. When the sloppy harmony comes in, the song really starts to work for me. And I'm not totally sure why, because it's also a very awkward song. But I love imperfection.

Melvin: This is better than your other one. I'm hearing traces of "I wanna sink to the bottom with you." And now I'm hearing traces of Pedro the Lion and Ozma. You make me feel like middle school. I was happy then. This is actually really really great.

The Ill Cricket Crew: Is that a Garageband loop? Pretty good vocalizing, but I'm kind of tuning this out. Not on purpose though. Sorry.

The Poor: That is the voice that was meant for this song. Have you heard The Robot Ate Me? This has a great quivery energy to it. I used to listen to shit like this all the time. You get mondo nostalgia points from me. I am affected by this.

PS - Rone, what the fuck weather are you watching?
rone rivendale
Odie

Post by rone rivendale »

Just watch The Weather Channel sometime and wait for the Local on the 8's. It happens every 10 minutes. I haven't been there since we switched from cable to satalite but I would guess it's the same music as a few months ago.

It wasn't a flame, just the first thing that popped into my head when I heard the music.
WeaselSlayer
Ice Cream Man

Post by WeaselSlayer »

I didn't think it was a flame, I just can't wrap my brain around the fact that we made you think of weather music.
posyden
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by posyden »

Rone Rivendale = after listening to the song a few more times I think I finally figured out what I meant when I said the music and lyrics didn't sync up....the song has huge potential...the problem is (I think) the fact the lyrics are spoken as opposed to sung (or rapped)....otherwise this is a good song
melvin
Push Comes to Shove

Post by melvin »

Andy-o: Sounds like there’s a bit of a problem with the drummer… like maybe a twitchy foot? But aside from that, this tune manages to be neither good nor bad. Just yer average guy with a guitar and not much to say.

Atlantean: At first, I thought the sound of this recording was a mere production trick, and that it would open up into a full, rich, expansive sound once the chorus hit. Then I realized that this is it. How did you record this? Did you play the backing track on a stereo, and record it and your voice together on a microphone? That’s what it sounds like. And to the extent that I myself survived many years using similarly ghetto ‘studio technology’, I respect your effort. Because of that, this doesn’t suck. Don’t kill yourself. At least not yet.

Hot Tub Combo: Unlike many other entries, this one takes time to create a sweet atmosphere, then actually finishes the job by adding enough lyrical and melodic content to leave a lasting impression. I like it a lot. Nicely done.

Ill Cricket Crew: Based on your name, I truly expected more honky rap. Nice surprise! This is well-performed, even if I can’t dig the genre. I see a neon Bud Light sign… and ladies in tight jeans… and everyone’s having fun.

Klownhole: Wow, monster drum sound! I do not hate Klownhole. You guys make your stuff sound totally crushing, which I always enjoy. Let’s get naked. Hell ya! Cool breakdown. This music makes me want to drive like a maniac.

Melvin: Luckily, I had a terrible dream about my long lost One True Love the night before I started working on this. I was slightly concerned the resulting tune would end up a bloated, maudlin, faux-emo piece of crap, but I mean every word of it, so I make no excuses.

Poor: Beautiful voice! This is quite gorgeous all around. “Take another look at me!â€
hi!
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

melvin wrote:ILL CRICKETS: This is well-performed
no it isn't.

i mean, if it is, i'll eat a hat. them's loops if loops ever was.

well, actually, i guess the vocals are pretty well performed after all.
melvin
Push Comes to Shove

Post by melvin »

Loops? I feel lied to. And I hate liars.
hi!
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

let me tell you this story about Redcar... :D
philtr
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by philtr »

melvin wrote:I get the impression from some of your posts that you’re somewhat new to home recording, and if that’s the case, I am looking forward to your future submissions.
Your impression is correct. Very new, actually... My first submission to songfight a few weeks ago was my first attempt at recording vocals (OK, my first serious attempt at recording vocals--I should put up some of my "<a href="http://www.starcrossedvoyager.com/srtcf">Songs Round The Campfire</a>" for really, really, bored people to check out). I'm also faily new at the whole home production business (I started 5 or so years ago) and the guitar-playing/music writing thing. So... yes, I'm new.

And I'm also looking forward to my sumbissions in the future.
WeaselSlayer wrote:k, so your vocals, I think you could try to ease up on them
Thanks for the advice. We'll see how it goes for next week.
six bucks an hour
Meatwad
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Meatwad »

melvin wrote: Klownhole:...I do not hate Klownhole.
That's one of the nicest thing anyone has ever said to us. This one is going up on the refrigerator.
Clats
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Clats »

melvin wrote:Loops? I feel lied to. And I hate liars.
Loops, all loops and nothing but loops...
But I never stated otherwise so, lie I did not. Please don't hate me.

I have previously recorded and submitted songs with real musicians who play an actual instrument, unlike myself...I just sing (and I use this term loosely)...this time the opportunity wasn't there so please deduct points accordingly.
Any songs devoid of "real" music will always be listed under the current name for future submissions.

And thank you for your review(s). Mine soon to follow.
"Right now, you're just a rude wee noob" - blue
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

Clats wrote:I have previously recorded and submitted songs with real musicians who play an actual instrument, unlike myself...I just sing (and I use this term loosely)
well your singing is pretty good. i bet you could find some people on the boards to help out with music.
thegiantsnail
A New Player

Post by thegiantsnail »

Hi. I'm one of the Poor. Thanks to all y'all for the comments, and don't worry. I'll bring the hooks. Such hooks will I give! But not for this song.

And I love Hot Tub Combo's song... It's like the Books' computers broke down and they had to go and borrow Radiohead to finish up. Ah, yes. It is like that.

Andy, O Andy... What synth are you using there? Is that a little Casiotone? The five percent nation of Casiotone? I like the storytelling approach.

Atlantean has a lot of hip hop ethic mixed with a Modest Mouse voice. Odd combo.

Ill Cricket posse, I don't mind your loops, I personally always thought that there should be more techno country in the world... if you ever go that way. Or maybe you should ditch those electro drums... and get a decrepit 808... or real drums. I'm kind of all or nothing about that...

Klownhole... Ouch. I think there's a second guitar back there with a decent tone, but the blisters on my ears won't heal in time for me to tell for sure.

Melvin, you get the most pop prop points. I hate pop. Now die.

Just kidding. I wouldn't mind it one bit if you replaced Three Doors Down, or Audioslave. Great effort.

Rone, you bring the emo with some kind of Bob Dylan spoken word thing going over a track that needs some work. You oughta add a couple layers.

Star-Crossed Voyager, the levels of production quality are like a layer cake. I'm a sucker (if you can't tell) for a nice Rhodes/Wurly electric piano, so props. The bass is a really vintage analog moogy sound, those drums oughta be filtered through a tape or a little combo amp, dirty it up a little. I would boost some of the guitar mids digitally. If you used the same mike for vocals and guitar, you should probably aim the mike right at the soundhole, maybe closer to the neck, get a warmer sound to match that ep. That's just my opinion.

Etc, amen.
WeaselSlayer
Ice Cream Man

Post by WeaselSlayer »

Wow, thank you for the amazingly sweet words (I'm Luke from... well from myself but also from Hot Tub Combo). And for quoting Soul Coughing.
Pierre Menand
A New Player
Instruments: None
Recording Method: Reaper on Macintosh
Submitting as: Klownhole

Re: Reviews

Post by Pierre Menand »

Klownhole: Definatly stands out musically. Can't understand most of the lyrics however and that hurts. C-

I think that this is the first time has said that not understanding KH lyrics is painful. It's normally the other way around.
--

What is that grinding noise?