You Want to Review These Songs (Don't You Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff
Pronouns: he/him

You Want to Review These Songs (Don't You Reviews)

Post by ken »

Don't You?
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
rone rivendale
Odie
Instruments: Electronica, nothing real
Recording Method: Fruity Loops, Goldwave
Submitting as: Rone Rivendale

Post by rone rivendale »

No, I don't.

But thanks for asking.
From spoken word to actual singing, I can screw up any style with style. :D
Märk
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, bass
Recording Method: Presonus Audiobox 44VSL, Cubase
Submitting as: ROTR, svenmullet, I forget what else
Pronouns: master

Post by Märk »

My song is missing!
* this is not a disclaimer
Lonbobby
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Guitar, Keyboard
Recording Method: Logic Express 9
Submitting as: Lonbobby

Post by Lonbobby »

Rone Riverdale: I like the opening percussion. Your monotone singing isn't doing it for me. I like the clanky piano.

Steady: Wow amazing guitar riff. Your "oh" harmony is really good. I like your voice. The mix is so crisp and nice. Damn, I'm totally not going to win. Keeping this.

Dust Pipe: Unlike Steady this is a little unorganized. I like the guitar but it's hard to follow.

Luke and Phunt: The mix is a bit noisy. I don't really like the barrage of sounds.

Evil-E: I like the chord progression. Also great guitar. (Good guitar playing this fight!) Your chorus with that one instrument that comes up on you is really cool.

$: Love is lies, and don't you tell me otherwise, otherwise I will die...great lyrics....I don't like your voice but great electric guitar.

Bjam: I like the blues feel. Why don't we fall in love? I'm not telling. Cool. This great. Keeping.

Steve Durand: Piano. Well I kind of lost my head. Nice opening. Your solo in the middle is the best!!!!

To New York Danza: I hate the Tony Danza show. Fun one-listen song.

Spoons: I like the electronic feel. Your voice is (to borrow an American Idol word) pitchy. Cool vibe with the song though.

Ken: Great country. Are you Josh's brother?

Seoup: Push yourself away. Great voice. This sounds like a band I'm forgetting the name of....I'm in the library so I can't look at my playlist to give you the name. I'm sorry. But the band's very good...as is this song.

Zero effect: I like the voices a lot. Instrumentation is great. This is really good, fun song. Wow this fight is awesome.

Near Global: Cool, fun low-fi song. I like that one prominent electronic instrument.

This is one of the strongest fights I've been in. And I thought my song was good....:(
stueym
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Cubase/Stenberg CI2+/Roland VG-99/RolandGR-55
Submitting as: stueym

Post by stueym »

Holy Moly! There is some great stuff in this fight. Well done all. Reviews to follow. :-)
"You know, I rather like this God fellow. Very theatrical, you know. Pestilence here, a plague there. Omnipotence ... gotta get me some of that."
Reist
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Drums, Guitar
Recording Method: Yamaha AW1600, Reaper
Submitting as: Therman

Post by Reist »

So I just finished my reviews for Not Exactly Normal, and my hands hurt, but I started listening to this fight, and I was intrigued, so here's my reviews.

@eclectic spOOns - Angelic sounding start. I honestly don't love your voice, but it's not a bad song at all.

Bjam - I had actually not heard a Bjam song up until this fight. And boy, am I impressed. This one is definitely a highlight for me. You have an exceptional voice and great songwriting skills. Keep it up. Definitely a possible vote.

Dust Pipe - Cool. Pretty good, might want to turn up the vocals. I like this song too. Dang. Good fight so far.

Evil-E - Cool song. Only improvement I can say is maybe decrease the effects on the voice. It's pretty distracting. Aside from that another good one.

Ken Woodard - Cool start ... I like your voice ... not quite sure why, but I like it. I like this song.

Lonbobby feat. Anita - I like the electronica-pop coolness going on ... not sure what to classify this as, but it held my attention the whole time. I like it. Cool harmonies and effects. Well made song.

Luke Henly and the Phunt Phamily - I like the distorted start and the guitar harmonies. Pretty good voice too. Work on holding those notes ... you've almost got it. I wish it had built up more and gotten clearer or something.

Near Global - Wicked start ... sounds like a gameboy. I like how you connected it to the main song. Probably wouldn't have hurt to mix up the drums a bit too. Good voice though. Huge vote possibility.

Rone Rivendale - You are a really good songwriter ... but I don't exactly like your voice ... try singing instead of just talking.

Seoup T. Gei - This is a pretty original sounding song. And it's really cool too ... well sung. Dragged out pretty long though ... good job on this one.

Steady Eddy Steady - I like the intro. Good singing too ... interesting voice. I like the vocal harmonies too. It wouldn't have hurt to mix the hi hat a bit lower. Possible vote.

Steve Durand - I really like the song. Your voice is pretty wavery though. Here's vocal advice. Just hit the notes, and work on the fancy stuff later. That aside, I really liked this song, as well as the mix.

$tueym - Energetic. I really like the tune ... I'm not a huge fan of your voice, but that's probably just personal preference too. I like the chorus a lot.

The Zero Effect w/ Maya - I like the mix of guy/girl vocals. Probably could have worked on the harmonies a bit more ... you seem a bit off tune throughout. It's a pretty good song, but the guy needs to work on his pitch a bit.

To New York Danza - Nice electronic drums. This song needs more of a vocal tune. I like the musical aspect of it, but you need to get singing. This song was okay.

So nearly every song was a vote contender, but my vote is going to Bjam. That one was by far my favorite. The rest of you, keep it up!
stueym
Push Comes to Shove

Post by stueym »

Bjam – Hmm finally a song that showcases Bjam’s real inner Diva and gets her voice out there!

Production notes. So Bjam came to me with this bluesy little E7-A7 capo'd at 4 with G A B progression for the chorus. Her voice sounded amazing and the simple guitar was pretty nice ...but "I'd like some rhythm & bass backing and a little bit of instrumental noodling" says Bjam. "Okay" says stueym "leave it with me".

Ah the power, the infinite power…..Mwahahahahahahah! [/end maniacal laughter]....the monster that is a Roland VG-88, Roland GR-33 and "Mr Sun" erupts and you get what you got. God bless those Roland samples and processing cos I was amazed.

The electric guitar tone is from the VG88, the Hammond is the the GR-33 as is the solo trumpet setting and the big brass sound on the final chorus (after the solo). All controlled with “Mr Sunâ€
Last edited by stueym on Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"You know, I rather like this God fellow. Very theatrical, you know. Pestilence here, a plague there. Omnipotence ... gotta get me some of that."
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

IF YOU VOTED IN THIS FIGHT, HERE IS YOUR CHANCE TO RECONSIDER.

I RESET THE VOTES, SO PLEASE VOTE AGAIN.
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
Lonbobby
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Lonbobby »

Upon advice of Anita, I sped up the song and remastered a bit. It can be found at this link:

http://www.dirtcheapmusic.org/artist/_u ... %20You.mp3

I would be eternally grateful if the powers that be replace it (especially since voting was erased). Also, I'll be your slave for a week.
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

Explanation. There were several complaints in the Quality Control thread that people weren't able to vote on this fight. I checked, and sure enough, I forgot to clear the IP address table, so if you voted in this fight last week, you wouldn't be able to vote in this one. I also checked and saw that not many votes had yet been case (partly due to the above-mentioned problem, no doubt), so I cleared both the IP table and the votes, so we could have a fair start.
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

Thanks, Spud.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Bjam
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

Post by Bjam »

Oh, I had a very strange dream last night. Luke Henley came and reviewed my song, just my song, in this fight basically saying it sucked and it was the worst thing he'd ever heard. Then everyone came and supported him. But it kinda blew over eventually. Then SF!PA came and when I was playing this song everyone started booing and throwing things at me and then just left.

Very sad dream.

But I woke up to having school cancelled for an ice storm, so hey, reviews are coming!
Songfighter since back in the day.
Nigel (spOOn) Clements
Mean Street
Instruments: None... But I use Reason 3.0, an iAxe 624 and an old beaten up acoustic, and sometimes I hit things.
Recording Method: Reason 3.0, Magix Audio Studio 11 Deluxe, Samson C01U USB Studio Condenser Microphone.
Submitting as: Nigel Clements, Accessory Twelve, @eclectic spOOns, Cynthia Size

Post by Nigel (spOOn) Clements »

jolly roger wrote: @eclectic spOOns - Angelic sounding start. I honestly don't love your voice, but it's not a bad song at all.
To be honest I don't love it either but until I can persude the girl to warble for me again I'll just have to muddle through...

But thank you :D
Nigel (spOOn) Clements
Mean Street
Instruments: None... But I use Reason 3.0, an iAxe 624 and an old beaten up acoustic, and sometimes I hit things.
Recording Method: Reason 3.0, Magix Audio Studio 11 Deluxe, Samson C01U USB Studio Condenser Microphone.
Submitting as: Nigel Clements, Accessory Twelve, @eclectic spOOns, Cynthia Size

Post by Nigel (spOOn) Clements »

Okay I apologise for rushing through these reviews but we've a busy week ahead of us so... well blah blah!

Dustpipe: Nice sleazy guitar work, everso slightly bitter tinge to the vocals, minimalist angst... 6½

Zero Effect w/ Maya: One of my personal favourite SongFighters, nice jingly jangly guitars (again!) just makes me smile and reminds me of something somewhere between Cheese on Bread/Bearsuit/Moldy Peaches... 7

New York Danza: Very Quirky and funny, the only problem I have with this and it's very minor, is the repeating "Don't you's" I think may have sounded better if they were more distant kind of like someone shouting or berating someone else to not or stop doing something... 6

$tueym: "Love is Lies" and a very Steve Diggle-ish vocal, you wear your influences proudly ... 7

Steve Durand: (Oh boy how do I make this sound like a compliment?), first off, I want you to know that I really like this, a lot in fact, but I listened to this maybe 4 or 5 times and everytime I just got this image in my mind of Kermit singing this on the Muppet Show gazing longingly into Miss Piggy's eyes... (this is meant to be a compliment, sorry)... 7

Steady Eddy Steady: Oh now talking about influences, this is very Dan Treacy/Ray Davies, I'm loving this... 7½

Seoup T. Gei: This sounds very poigniant, like you're truely putting your heart into the lyrics, a very honest song... 7

Rone Rivendale: Well I like it, there are a lot of very good bluesy numbers here this week, but this is 100% genuine Rone Rivendale, I found the EQ spot on... 6½

Neal/Near/Neat Global: Another personal favourite, I'm liking the casualness of this, I just feel it needs something to suddenly punch it's way through the rhythm... 6½

Luke Henley & Phunt Family: Now I'm floating down a stream, it's a lazy sunny day, half asleep, gentle, tranquil then someone starts shouting in the distance... "you're boats sinking!"... 6

Ken Woodard: What do i say?, I'm eating humble pie!, sorry!, this is really good... 6½

Evil-E: Gorgeous harmonies, sounds a tad John Lennon... 7

Bjam: Oh! that voice is edible! this is the bollocks...8½

Lonbobby ft. Anita: I'm an absolute sucker for breathy female vocals, this is way too good to be for free on a competition web-site, way way too good!... 9

@eclectic spOOns: Okay it's a bit better than previous nonsenses, a little bit OMD, but can't really be compared with the above songs as they are just so good... 2469 (stay on the damn beat, dammit!)
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

@eclectic spOOns wrote:$tueym: "Love is Lies" and a very Steve Diggle-ish vocal, you wear your influences proudly ..
Oooh. I've been thinking it was weird but very cool that from my demo Stueym turned my attempt at a 60s song into Buzzcocks, (whom as most everyone who knows me knows I adore).

Your comment reminds me that of course Love is Lies is a Diggle song off 'Love Bites' - the one where they try and sound like a 60's band! I was never fond of that song (or many Diggle compositions), yet clearly the phrase stuck in my subconscious.

j$
boltoph
Panama
Submitting as: Gert

Post by boltoph »

Here's a link to read some other kinds of reviews...

Bjam
Holy compression/limiting to achieve a Puce-like bass tone. I like it. I like the bluesy stuff here, and this is definitely, by far, my fav Bjam song yet, nice trumpet solo, very sultry and the sound overall is huge, maybe I’m just a sucker for compressed kick drums and bass lines, but I find that the tones here are very pleasing. The whole thing, as a matter of fact. You’re too young to sound like that! Nice.

Dust Pipe
I like the wah guitar noodling, and the general vibe, especially the bass line, is pretty cool; however, have you guys heard of Pipe Fist? They rock. You sound nothing like them. The vocal is struggling (mixing it low doesn’t solve the intonation problems). It just needs to go somewhere else besides those two chords. And the lead guitar needs to work on creating phrases instead of just random noodling.

@eclectic spOOns
I like that change at about 0:35, really feels good and warm there. Would’ve rather heard the vocal screaming all insane-like “Don’t Youâ€
WeaselSlayer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, keyboard
Recording Method: Garageband, laptop mic
Submitting as: Luke Henley

Post by WeaselSlayer »

Near Global - This is cheery and bouncy. The voice doesn’t match in terms of punchiness. The harmonies are pretty good, but none of this is really like “hot damn.â€
Bjam
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

Post by Bjam »

WeaselSlayer wrote:Bjam - If this were food I would spit it out in a comical fashion and sputter about being poisoned. Needless to say, this is DOG SHIT. If I were to hear this live, I would start a riot.
Thanks. My, it almost makes me feel like it's totally worth putting hours into a song to have it chucked back at you.
Songfighter since back in the day.
WeaselSlayer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, keyboard
Recording Method: Garageband, laptop mic
Submitting as: Luke Henley

Post by WeaselSlayer »

Aw, I was just trying to make dreams come true! I was truly and seriously joking.
stueym
Push Comes to Shove

Post by stueym »

6 reviews out of 15 song entries....Hmmmm
Steve Durand
Panama
Instruments: trumpet, trombone, sax, clarinet, flute, keyboards, banjo, guitar, bass, ukulele
Recording Method: SONAR 6, Dell Inspiron E1705, Edirol UA-25, Studio Projects B-1 Mic
Submitting as: Steve Durand, Elastic Waste Band

Post by Steve Durand »

@eclectic spOOns wrote: Steve Durand: (Oh boy how do I make this sound like a compliment?), first off, I want you to know that I really like this, a lot in fact, but I listened to this maybe 4 or 5 times and everytime I just got this image in my mind of Kermit singing this on the Muppet Show gazing longingly into Miss Piggy's eyes... (this is meant to be a compliment, sorry)... 7
boltoph wrote: Steve Durand:
Every one of your songs is a parody to me. I wish you’d milk that funny stuff more. I feel this is trying to be serious which is its only downfall. Put a vocoder on the vocals too, that could be cool. I just can’t handle the goofiness of the vocal. This is fun and I smile but I can’t take it seriously.
Well, I'm not tryng to sound goofy. That's just how my voice is. Does anybody have any suggestions on how I can get it to sound different. I would love it if I could sound like Boltoph...or Deshead..or Puce...or Melvin.

Maybe I should just go the Lonbobby route and use Autotune.

Steve
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture" -Unknown
"Seems to me this is the point of Songfight" - Max The Cat
Lonbobby
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Lonbobby »

sdurand wrote: Well, I'm not tryng to sound goofy. That's just how my voice is. Does anybody have any suggestions on how I can get it to sound different. I would love it if I could sound like Boltoph...or Deshead..or Puce...or Melvin.

Maybe I should just go the Lonbobby route and use Autotune.

Steve
I have a route?? Haha.