Puteo Ergo Sum (The Stink Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Rabid Garfunkel
Jump
Instruments: Absurdity
Recording Method: iPhone, GarageBand & rando apps/toys
Submitting as: OZYMANDIPUS, Rabid Garfunkel, Primitive Screwheads
Pronouns: that guy

Puteo Ergo Sum (The Stink Reviews)

Post by Rabid Garfunkel »

Descartes full!
"Urban cartoon music." -- Paco Del Stinko
Be my friend? --- Song of the Day
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, programming
Recording Method: Cubase, Reason
Submitting as: Balance Lost

Post by furrypedro »

I stink, therefore I am?
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man

Post by furrypedro »

Oh what the crap!! :( I just gave some entries a preliminary check and they're all really damn good! shit, I thought I was on to something with this one.

oh yeah, and Steve Durand. fucking genius. way to comeback! :D
thegreathal
A New Player

Post by thegreathal »

Drunk Todd--anyone using 'shizinit' in their opening sequence warrants instant mert.
Blue Lang--NOT as tough as promised by the Frontalittle Squad.
Soylent Spuds--ahhh!!! Crazy vibe. That worked well.
Phunt Your Friends--ahhh!!! Crazy vibe. That worked well.
Melvin--Always good. Wasn't my style neccssarily.
Kweep--Music was quality, although felt a little dehumanizing.
Steve Durand--Ha...I mean depressing. The style fits.
Fourth Grade Gladiators--Wasn't as good as usual? Not sure.
Truth and Regret--Really pulled off the techno thing, as opposed to everyone who can't.
Those Meddling Kids--Too jerky for the music.
Doscientos--Nice try, but not a winner. Just very close.

Of course that's only first impressions. Good straight music
--thegreathal
thegreathal@yahoo.com
Kweep
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Kweep »

Man, these are all really good! It's gonna take me a few days to decide who to cast my vote for but here are my initial impressions:

Steven Durand - Friggin' awesome... Musta been a hassle gettin' all the flies together... you know... to feed Kermit? I love the instrumentation & general muppetyness.

Melvin - A really well constructed Rocker! Great hook...

Kweep - me.

Phunt Your Friends - Very... um... Interesting. The sounds & production are sweet.

Blue Lang - Maybe you coulda submitted as "The F*ck Melvins" this week? heh. Dig the cacophonistic blast & build to the end!

Those Meddling Kids - I really like this song... and not just 'cause Kazoo solos rule!

doscientos - Fun!

Fourth Grade Gladiators - What's the word I'm looking for? errrr.... passion? This sounds passionate. I dig it.

Truth and Regret - I'm not usually a fan of autotuning vox but it works here... just wish you would've dropped the auto-tune during the distorted vocals.

Soylent Spuds - Great concept... that "tell 'em how to do the dance in the song about the dance" thing is so 50s/60s. It's Neat/Groovy.

Drunk Todd - "You bit the biscuit"... I think my favorite line this week.
Kweep
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Kweep »

thegreathal wrote: Kweep--Music was quality, although felt a little dehumanizing.
eh?
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

Doscientos: Cute and short, but what is up with the 50's bop beat lately? The shrillness seems to have been tamed out of this recording a little, but I still think you need a new vocal mic. Can anyone in Doscientos sing backup?

Drunk Todd: I really like the kbd backing bits when they are low and mixed deeply, not so much when they go high and poke out. The distorted guitar / kbd dichotomy goes back and forth between working and being annoying. Vocal treatment and line are pretty cool, but overall it's about as generic a rock song as you can get. Still mildly compelling. Could really have used an unexpected element, like a harmonica or something. Great guitar sounds on the solo. Blasting guitar only in left speaker gets really fatiguing toward the end.

4th Grade: Great upbeat rock number, hella funny lyrics. Likely winner. I appreciate the long buildup to the nasty bit in the lyrics - it lends an element of subtlely that is usually missing from dirty songfight tunes. Reminds me a little of Hot Snakes back when they still rocked ass and said fuck the world.

Kweep: Wow! Nice mix of Beatlepop and Zappa! Very well formed and recorded song, excellent job. Er.. lyrics bordering on bad hip-hop.. forgiveable, I guess, but it really takes away from an otherwise great tune.

Melvin: Well at least there was one small bit that wasn't eighth notes and down stokes. Oh wait.. :P No, really, this one seems a hair more exploratory than your usual by-the-numbers exercise. Funny use of nickel words in the lyrics. Or is that a Weezer trademark too? I really gotta do some research here...

Phunt: Well I guess I can see the relationship to the title. And hey, it's short. Actually, in amongst a bunch of songy songs, it's aight. NPR samples 4tw.

Soylent: Casiocore from the future past, I guess. Not compelling.

Steve D: .. it is 9am on Saturday, and the sad frog on TV is educating America's hard-headed kids. Great for what it is, I'm sure you'll suffer in the songfight context. I'll take the kids to the library so they can vote for it there. :P

Meddling Kids: I dunno if I like this in spite of myself or what. The chorus has a real good lift to it, and who can argue with kazoo? Thumbs up for an interesting tune. I wish it had some anthemic bit where the beat cleared itself out for a second and everything meshed. It gets a little wearing toward the end.

Truth+/-Regret: Well this is fairly by-the-numbers songfight techno. Needs more elements or better lyrics or something. Not compelling.
Last edited by blue on Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

thegreathal wrote: Blue Lang--NOT as tough as promised by the Frontalittle Squad.
i think the "tough" part is listening to me sing.
Kweep
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Kweep »

blue wrote:Er.. lyrics bordering on bad hip-hop..
yeah, i ain't the greatest lyrcalositist on the planet... i'm hopin' that by participating in SF i can get better through practice and critique.
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

there's a collab forum, lyric mart, and IRC. i'm sure after hearing this song a lot of people would love to write lyrics for you.
Kweep
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Kweep »

blue wrote:there's a collab forum, lyric mart, and IRC. i'm sure after hearing this song a lot of people would love to write lyrics for you.
rock! thanks for the heads up!
Nigel (spOOn) Clements
Mean Street
Instruments: None... But I use Reason 3.0, an iAxe 624 and an old beaten up acoustic, and sometimes I hit things.
Recording Method: Reason 3.0, Magix Audio Studio 11 Deluxe, Samson C01U USB Studio Condenser Microphone.
Submitting as: Nigel Clements, Accessory Twelve, @eclectic spOOns, Cynthia Size

Post by Nigel (spOOn) Clements »

You obviously take a roll very well Mr. Durand, you've got my vote.

Bloody excellent!
Kill Me Sarah
Panama
Instruments: Guitar, GarageBand
Recording Method: GarageBand, TonePort UXII, Reaper, MXL 990 & 991 Mics
Submitting as: Kill Me Sarah, Bonfire of the Manatees, Hurrikitten

Post by Kill Me Sarah »

Kweep wrote:
blue wrote:there's a collab forum, lyric mart, and IRC. i'm sure after hearing this song a lot of people would love to write lyrics for you.
rock! thanks for the heads up!
For what it's worth, I liked the song and didn't find the lyrics too bad at all. They certainly didn't distract. Though I kinda wish you'd competed on Clouds instead cuz it's hard to compete w/ a rock song when you're the only one that submitted a rock song.
"[...] so plodding it actually hurts a little bit" - Smalltown Mike
Eidolon
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

the frog song

Post by Eidolon »

Wow.. I don't think I've laughed that hard at a song on song fight in awhile.. EXCELLENT job SDurand!!

My personal favorite is the ocean levels rising line.. man... classic.... (I can't erase my smile.)
thegreathal
A New Player

Post by thegreathal »

Kweep wrote:
thegreathal wrote: Kweep--Music was quality, although felt a little dehumanizing.
eh?
:D sorry, sorta rushed that out. although you can still campaign for my vote! just hearing mediocrity driven into me could mess with my head. but it's a positive message, no problem.
--thegreathal
thegreathal@yahoo.com
melvin
Push Comes to Shove

Post by melvin »

Blue Lang: Since it's difficult for me to be objective about this, I passed reviewing duties to someone else. My cat says this sounds like “the work of a tone-deaf Siamese with antisocial impulses that mask an acute inferiority complex.â€
hi!
Kweep
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Kweep »

thegreathal wrote:[...]hearing mediocrity driven into me could mess with my head
melvin wrote:the word “mediocrityâ€
Gemini6Ice
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Photoshop and Illustrator
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Gemini6Ice »

Are this song and "Butterfly Massacre" cases of no art submitted? I don't see any in the art archive, but people have submitted art outside of it before...

(I.e., should I boot up my creativity apps and take shots at them? Or should I not waste my time?)
mkilly
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar

Post by mkilly »

Gemini6Ice wrote:Are this song and "Butterfly Massacre" cases of no art submitted? I don't see any in the art archive, but people have submitted art outside of it before...

(I.e., should I boot up my creativity apps and take shots at them? Or should I not waste my time?)
yes, there are no arts for butterfly and for this! please make art for them, your stuff is lovely!

now compliment me on the cloud art, too, though. :) actually, there was no art submitted at all this week (until me). maybe you could try to tackle something for next week while you're at it?

also: more like potato ergo sum. happy birthday spud. again.
"It is really true what philosophy tells us, that life must be understood backwards. But with this, one forgets the second proposition, that it must be lived forwards." Søren Kierkegaard
a bebop a rebop
Push Comes to Shove

Post by a bebop a rebop »

Blue Lang - This is just awkward, man. I guess it's the adopted genre or something? Those are the weakest capitalized letter lines I've ever heard, but on purpose, maybe? I'm not sure, but it's not funny, really, or it's just not getting me. I don't really know what to say about it.

Doscientos - Not getting into this, I guess. It feels too slow for what it is, and it's just kinda boring. I do like your voice.

Drunk Todd - Your sound is pretty cool but the vocals don't feel integrated within the rest of the song. Is this STM? Also, it keeps doing that same thing over and over and over, man. It's not really that interesting. Yeah, some of this is definitely STM.

Fourth Grade Gladiators - Nice opening, sirs. Wow, I really like the feel of these vocals. You had me on the edge of my seat during that breakdown, nice job. And that build-up is great. Love the smokin' guitar. This is fantastic, nice job.

Kweep - This has a nice groovy feel. That intro vocal stuff feels familiar, like it's from an old jazz standard or something. I like it all anyway. Like you say, it would have been nice if those last 30 seconds went somewhere.

Melvin - That chord progression is neater than your usually stuff, but it feels like it's probably harder to work a nice vocal line in there. And it's still a repeated four-bar phrase. The big choral-type vocal sections are pretty neat. And the light-ass snapping bit, that's cool too. Good job, nice work shifting it up.

Phunt Your Friends - We're starting now, man. Ok, I could see people describing this as experimental. But boring, uninteresting, never. I love how you tie the samples together.

Soylent Spuds - This is pretty ridiculous. The background mouth-noises are amusing but I'm not getting into the lyrics at all.

Steven Durand - This is pretty hilarious. I really like what you've done with the orchestration, in a humorously over-the-top sense.

Those Meddling Kids - I like the rhythmic feel of your vocals, and I always like how you put together your music. 5/4, man, that's pretty cool. And I really like your lyrics. And then it falls into a nice 3 feel, this is really nice. The only thing I didn't particularly care for was that solo noise that comes in around 1:30.

Truth and Regret - That bass noise is intense. Like the drum sounds. I really like the feel of this thing, I hope it goes somewhere. Mhmm, nice use of the auto-tune. And then the chorus is pretty damn awesome. I had thehipcola's tune from Butterfly Masscre on my playlist directly after this one, and it flowed nicely right into it, it was really cool. Not that that has anything to do with anything. Anyway, I like this song a whole lot.

Voting for the Fourth Grade Gladiators, honorable mentions to Those Meddling Kids and Truth and Regret.
Smalltown Mike
Mean Street
Submitting as: shrts, Sewer Ppl, Flaming Tiger, shrts, shot pounder, Gert, Slither, Gaping Maw
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Smalltown Mike »

a bebop a rebop wrote: Is this STM? Yeah, some of this is definitely STM.
Drunk Todd recorded this at my place. Beer consumption prevented either of us from coming up with suitable vocals for that one little part. I added those few lines days later. So it's Drunk Todd with just a tiny bit of me.

And reviews to come at some point. No, really.
Punk rock is for children. Grab a six-pack at Half-a-Dozen Records.
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man

Post by furrypedro »

a bebop a rebop wrote: 5/4, man, that's pretty cool. And then it falls into a nice 3 feel, this is really nice.
:twisted: mwuhahahahaha somebody noticed the muso-geekiness in my song!!
i rule/suck

Xnerdcore foreverX