Your song is going to win (No, really reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Smalltown Mike
Mean Street
Submitting as: shrts, Sewer Ppl, Flaming Tiger, shrts, shot pounder, Gert, Slither, Gaping Maw
Pronouns: he/him

Your song is going to win (No, really reviews)

Post by Smalltown Mike »

Really really.
Punk rock is for children. Grab a six-pack at Half-a-Dozen Records.
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, programming
Recording Method: Cubase, Reason
Submitting as: Balance Lost

Post by furrypedro »

oh man, I've kind of gone off my song since I submitted it :(

but it's partly cos I'm nearly done on next weeks, it's a masterpiece (in my mind!!!)
Pow Pow Power Series
A New Player

Post by Pow Pow Power Series »

Thanks for the firsbee's entry is really lovely. I popped that thing into my permanent collection.
DJ Big Dick
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by DJ Big Dick »

E Equals - Many times you can say a bad song came from a good idea, but poor execution. This song comes from a bad idea with good execution of that bad idea. If that makes sense. Anyway, it's really boring.
Rating - 2/10

Johnny Cashpoint - Pretty cool, I like the chanting, and the bass is cool too.
Rating - 6/10

Rattpoizon - For the second time you make a rad song, it jumps around like fucking crazy. Cool all the way through out.
Rating - 8/10

Tricia Owlett - Meh, really boring and I don't like your voice. Nothing new or entertaining.
Rating - 2/10

Thanks For The Frisbee I like to vocals, but the song could definitely be more fleshed out. Kind of reminds me of Modest Mouse.
Rating - 5/10

Those Meddling Kids - Sounds alot like Bloc Party's slow songs. Which inturn makes it very boring. Too long and too much stuff at the end. Decent vocals.
Rating - 5/40

If not for my song, Rattpoizon would get my vote.
Mostess
Panama
Instruments: Vocal, guitar, keyboard, clarinet
Recording Method: Ardour 5, JACK, Ubuntu
Submitting as: Hostess Mostess
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Mostess »

Furrypedro wrote:oh man, I've kind of gone off my song since I submitted it :(

but it's partly cos I'm nearly done on next weeks, it's a masterpiece (in my mind!!!)
You have just described my constant state of mind.

Except when we're not working on a song, in which case substitute "tempted to work on" for "nearly done with", and "it definitely would be" for "it's".
"We don’t write songs about our own largely dull lives. We mostly rely on the time-tested gimmick of making shit up."
-John Linnell
Thanks For The Frisbee
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: mine
Recording Method: wishful thinking
Submitting as: Thanks for the Frisbee

Post by Thanks For The Frisbee »

DJ Big Richard- I would never listen to this song outside of song fight.
that’s not to say that it isn’t creative though. You obviously have a style you want to put out there
And you did so for that you should get respect….but not my vote.

Rattpoizon-
bass line kinda reminds me of old school super Mario brothers.
The surf guitar is cool! Did you clear your throat in the middle of this songt?
Sounds like you are talented , a lot of layers a lot of styles all mixed into to one.
Good job.

Johnny Cashpoint-
I like the lyrics and vox in the verses, I like the background vox.
Kinda twisted but very thought out. And twisted is good =)
This song was okay for my taste.

Those Meddling Kids-Love your name! I like the story of the lyrics. You have an interesting voice
But I think you could try to hit the notes a little more, but what you do works with your style. Love the bassline, wow good job. I like the full band. My main point of critique would have to be that too many F-bombs can distract the Listener. Overall I thought the song was good.

Tricia Owlette-guitar is too quiet. Nice slow pace…I really think your voice needs to be turned down , and really needs a backup vocal. Your not hitting more than a quarter of your notes. My advice would be to get some vocal effects or just turn your voice down. And sing a quiet backup in a higher octive.
I don’t like this song.

Equals- I get that you are a poet but all you do in this song is SAY how your lyrics are so good….you don’t really HAVE good lyrics. I really don’t like this song, but I think you have potential.

Thanks For The Frisbee
-me. I think my vocals are too loud too. The 2nd vocal was off time after I recorded it and it sounds like it still is. I tried to fix it. I think it needs drums and bass, maybe some soothing keyboard or piano…but I don’t have that capability yet so I did with it what I could.
I kinda like this song, but the recording and delivery could be improved a lot.
Thanks for the frisbee is on Spotify, iTunes, Apple Music ect.
Denyer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Dunlop KT-26
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Denyer »

nice 800x600 av dong
Thanks For The Frisbee
Push Comes to Shove

i was hoping nobody saw that...i am numb in the nutts
Ratt Poizon
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: 6 string, 7 sting, sitar, and bass guitar. Drum Machine. Pint Glass.
Recording Method: Milwaukee's Best, 1989 Tascam midistudio 688 (cassette), E-Mu Px7, and that's about it.

Post by Ratt Poizon »

Rattpoizon-Did you clear your throat in the middle of this song.

yes, and no. I'm not really into singing... so basically I "clear my throat" throughout all of my songs. also, I can't believe people aren't pissed off at me... this is a pretty weird song! thanks for the reviews! I'd write some, but I really don't know what to say about the entries this week, perhaps I'll just drink more then do a review...... because it's fun

yours truly,

el Jarsherino Travolta Grisnado IV
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man

Post by furrypedro »

DJBD: well that's one way to try and make the song relevant to the title, say the title at the beginning of the track and then go off in whatever direction you want, you're FREE!! to make a pile of crap evidently. The samples take the flow out of the beat, ooh you said your name there. that way we know it's you, right?

E=: I've still no idea where you're coming from, but I have to admit this was unexpected. the recording quality is getting better. and some percussive accompaniment here, but it's not nearly enough for me considering the track is over five minutes long. you got some fluid and some decent lyrics. I still think you should collaborate

J$: this fight's been rap-tastic so far. This has some really interesting elements. The intro sounds like Beverly Hills cop incidental music with tibetan monks chanting over it. I've actually not heard anything quite like this before, the guitar playing is cool and it's not too much for the song, it feels like there is quite a lot going on. It's gonna take me a while to figure out whether I like this or not, whatever I decide I think you pulled it off pretty well and I'd like to hear how this would go down on the radio.

rattpoizon: okay this was getting pretty intriguing until the metal guitar kicked in, I dunno I guess the randomness running through the track was making me hope for something else, that riff is cool though, I really liked it clean. That said, it doesn't last long and I have no idea what's going on now but it's sounds like the Pulp Fiction soundtrack with a balti-vibe. did you just say "dirty sanchez"? excellent. Some of the guitar effects are pretty cool but I'm not sure you used them in the best possible way. Lots of ideas, which i like, but they don't all gel coherently and it's a bit disjointed in places. fun listening though

Frisbee:
Thanks For The Frisbee wrote:I kinda like this song, but the recording and delivery could be improved a lot.
- you could make the recording and delivery twice as good but would that make the song twice as good? save your energy, there's nothing wrong with this.
Congratulations for writing the first (and possibly only?) sing-a-long of the fight. This is pretty simple then, but I like the doubling of the vocals and the melody is solid and catchy. This sorta reminds me of the Softies except you're not female. Good song, probably a winner.

Tricia Owlett: you sound like you hang around Jacob lynn a lot. Those are a couple of chords that can be relied upon to carry the song pretty well, but it's the lyrics that are the important thing here. The melody's okay, could do with a little more variety just to stop it the song from sounding like one long verse but you hit enough notes for it to be cool (hitting all the notes is so overrated anyway). I'd say ignore Frisbees comments on vocal effects and just learn to use a compressor, that is all your voice needs, just to stop it becoming too overbearing when you get louder. Otherwise this is quite nice, I get the feeling Cat Power comparisons would be a bit lazy but that is what this reminds me of. You should post the lyrics in the archive.
DJ Big Dick
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by DJ Big Dick »

well that's one way to try and make the song relevant to the title, say the title at the beginning of the track and then go off in whatever direction you want, you're FREE!!
No shit Sherlock, that's kind of what I do. Looks like I have to go back and come up with a new plan, thanks to your unerring perceptiveness.
Clats
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Clats »

DJ Big Dick wrote: No shit Sherlock, that's kind of what I do. Looks like I have to go back and come up with a new plan, thanks to your unerring perceptiveness.
I would say it's pedro's ubiquitous facetiousness.

In the FAQ's..."Every week several titles are provided, the competitors write a brand new song inspired by the title of their choice".

Good luck with the new plan.
"Right now, you're just a rude wee noob" - blue
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man

Post by furrypedro »

hahaha, a sarcastic comment for every occasion :D

and yes, good luck; sorry for ruining your secret formula
Kill Me Sarah
Panama
Instruments: Guitar, GarageBand
Recording Method: GarageBand, TonePort UXII, Reaper, MXL 990 & 991 Mics
Submitting as: Kill Me Sarah, Bonfire of the Manatees, Hurrikitten

Post by Kill Me Sarah »

Well, I might as well bust these out since there are so few. JSeavers didn't like this rating system but I do. Every media player and most web sites use a 5 point system which is roughly 1)hate it 2)don't like it 3)okay 4)like it 5)love it. It takes nothing into consideration except personal taste (mine). It also doesn't measure how much i like or dislike a song compared to another. In other words if more than one person get 4/5, doesn't mean I like them equally. Just that they fall under the "like" more than the "love" category. Sheesh, am I gonna have to explain all this every time?

DJBD
I get this is your thing, it's not my thing. Some of the music is cool and good probably compliment something else in my mind. Having electronic vocals not be synchronized w/ the electronic music is a bit annoying
2/5

E Equals
It's a tad more conventional than last week's I suppose but it's still too long and there aren't enough changes. Collaborating may do you good. I would recommend you check out the girl duo band CocoRosie. They're very good at making good songs out of "noise" and I think you could pull off this sort of vibe.
2/5

Johnny Cashpoint
You've been around way longer than I have and I haven't heard very much of your repetoire, but I like this more than other stuff of yours I've heard. I like the background humming. I don't love this song, but it's not bad.
3/5

Ratt Poizon
You find me and lose me so many times in this song. I like the intro, love the surf guitar, the falsetto "No Really" is funny in a Beck-like way. All of the low vocals really grate with me. The sitar-sounding lead during the surf guitar doesn't really work for me, and it should probably end after that. The second half could be a song on it's own, and I probably like that second half more than the first (the soft part).
3/5

Thanks For The Frisbee
One of my favorites of your SF entries so far. I don't hear Modest Mouse in this, but I can hear a little Ben Gibbard/DCFC in it. I can really imagine a full band coming in with drums and keyboards after the first minute and this would be the stripped down, solo, acoustic, live radio version. Oh, also, I thought I'd say I like the double vox too. I think I may try that in the near future.
4/5

Those Meddling Kids
I really like this song. It's very familiar in a indie-pop way. The vox work in some spots for me, and not in others. In some parts you sound borderline like a muppet. I can't really explain it. I know what the voice is doing and what would make it stop, but I can't put it in words. In other parts, where you sing the really low "all mysterious" you get this tremelo'y Eddie Vedder vibe which I dig quite a bit. Really like the percussion at the end.
4/5

Tricia Owlett
I really like this song too. The few missed notes don't distract me personally. It's not earth-shattering, but I like listening to it.
4/5

My picks for this week would be 1)Frisbee, 2)TMK, 3)Tricia
"[...] so plodding it actually hurts a little bit" - Smalltown Mike
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

kill_me_sarah wrote:Johnny Cashpoint
You've been around way longer than I have
Bully for you. Bully for me.
Kill Me Sarah
Panama

Post by Kill Me Sarah »

j$ wrote:
kill_me_sarah wrote:Johnny Cashpoint
You've been around way longer than I have
Bully for you. Bully for me.
No idea what that means. lol
Nigel (spOOn) Clements
Mean Street
Instruments: None... But I use Reason 3.0, an iAxe 624 and an old beaten up acoustic, and sometimes I hit things.
Recording Method: Reason 3.0, Magix Audio Studio 11 Deluxe, Samson C01U USB Studio Condenser Microphone.
Submitting as: Nigel Clements, Accessory Twelve, @eclectic spOOns, Cynthia Size

Post by Nigel (spOOn) Clements »

Some More reviews:

DJ Big Dick: 14,000 good ideas in one song under 1 minute long, in parts brilliant, in parts whack, in parts shite. (though I did nearly piss myself laughing) 5/10

E Equals: You know sitting here with the lyrics in front of me, and reading along with the song, this is WAY COOL! sorry I may be on my own here but I really think this is good, it just gets in and sits in there, stuck in the head, a touch dub, a touch rap a whole lot original. 7/10

Johnny Cashpoint: Hmm, more urban than other stuff I've heard of yours, I think this is gonna grow on me and not like a fungus :) I like the almost chanting. does get a tad tedious though, sorry! 6.5/10

Rattpoizon: I'm not a great lover of extreme metal, and I'd place this in that category, seems to be suffering from Dick Dick Syndrome, lots of good ideas welded together, you have enough material here for about 4 or 5 decent songs, but as a whole it just don't work for me. 4/10

Thanks for the Frisbee: Rather mellow and melodic after the last song, nice floating vocal, whenever I hear anything like this I just switch into anti-folk mode. really pleasant. 7/10

Those Meddling Kids: Now the backing track here is great, but the vocal stretching (which I guess is intentional) is a touch too much, apart from that, this is another excellent track from TMK. 7/10

Tricia Owlett: Here we are in Anti-Folk country again, very Moldy Peaches. but unfortunately this doesn't grab me, I'd like to hear this coming in at 115bpm, it's dragging it's heels and sorry but it's kind of depressing. 4/10

Okay E Equals gets my vote this week, Those Meddling Kids coming a close 2nd, with special mentions to the Frisbee's
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

@eclectic spOOns wrote:Here we are in Anti-Folk country again, very Moldy Peaches.
Wow, you said "antifolk". I don't hear that term around these parts much. (except in reference to me)
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
The Anchors
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by The Anchors »

@eclectic spOOns wrote:
DJ Big Dick: I did nearly piss myself laughing
I think that's what DJ Big Dick is aiming for with his genre of "dick-hop".
Kweep
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Kweep »

dick - not as bad as last week...

e= - good poetry... bad rap (but that'll get better with practice).

j$ - stylistically not my thing... that being said, decent production and the backing vox are really cool (i kinda half expected a sea chanty after the oooos at the top there :))

Rattpoizon - pretty cool but it's soooo all over the place. the last bit is my favorite part.

frisbee - great melody and awesome singin'. i like this one a lot.

kids - again, not my favorite stylistically... but, great lyrics... and a 'rock out' to boot.

tricia - i think you would benefit greatly from something other than just the girl n guitar thing.

frisbee slightly edges out the kids for my vote.
Kill Me Sarah
Panama

Post by Kill Me Sarah »

::whistles::

Wow, by a landslide Frisbee. Nice one!
Thanks For The Frisbee
Push Comes to Shove

WOW!!
thanks everyone, i am stunned. this is my first win so i am kindof in a daze. everyone did a great job with their songs. good fight
thanks again :lol: