INXS - Rock Star

Blab about the Boob Tube.
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

INXS - Rock Star

Post by jack »

i watched part of this last night. most of the singers were pretty mediocre, although i'd have to say most were better than almost everyone on american idol, a few had pretty good pipes and stage presence, a couple of them sucked pretty bad (the girl who went last and forgot the words for "remedy" was awful. same with the girl who sang the dylan. and the remark about her carrying that note forever was priceless!). and the seriously creepy homeless/crackhead guy that kept shaking and grabbed that girl in the crowds hair. i was cracking up.

but ty, the guy who sang the living colour song, was amazing. even if he doesn't get picked, this guy has some serious talent and presence.

navarro didn't have much to add, brooke burke is always nice to look at, and i thought the comments from the members of INXS were pretty insightful.

glenn could have easily done better than most of them imho....
Hi!
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin
Pronouns: he/him

Post by roymond »

Yes, but could they swing
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

roymond wrote:Yes, but could they swing
...from a rope in a doorway in the throes of auto-erotic asphyxiation?
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

I thought it was a belt
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

Hi!
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

So are they trying to guage talent and creative mindset, or just picking the person with the best voice?
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Bjam
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

Re: INXS - Rock Star

Post by Bjam »

jack wrote: but ty, the guy who sang the living colour song, was amazing. even if he doesn't get picked, this guy has some serious talent and presence.
http://www.playcaesars.com/paris/lasveg ... ples08.htm

My parents saw the show when they were in Las Vegas the other week. My mum was working out in the gym next to him the morning before, then recognized him in the show. Small world, eh?
Songfighter since back in the day.
chucky
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Location: North Bay, Ontario, Canada, North America, Northern Hemisphere, Earth

Post by chucky »

they're picking the person who gets the most votes.
i've been watching this show; rather, this show has been on in my room while i watch the internet go by.
it seems wrong to me, though, that they have any kind of voting process at all. shouldn't these guys just pick the singer that they like best? i dunno.
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

I thought it was that the audience votes and the guys pick which of the three lowest vote-getters leaves the show each week. It's obviously easy enough for the band to make sure the one they want stays. I think the kid with the black hair who sang that "One Hand In My Pocket" will win.
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
chucky
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Location: North Bay, Ontario, Canada, North America, Northern Hemisphere, Earth

Post by chucky »

jb wrote:I thought it was that the audience votes and the guys pick which of the three lowest vote-getters leaves the show each week. It's obviously easy enough for the band to make sure the one they want stays.
idunno, like i said; i've only been half paying attention to it.
Freddielove
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Freddielove »

Does anyone else find it odd that they aren't singing any INXS songs? Are they going to be a cover band with portfolio from now on?
Everything But the Girl but without the scary big chinned woman

- Furrypedro
jb
Hot for Teacher

Post by jb »

Freddielove wrote:Does anyone else find it odd that they aren't singing any INXS songs? Are they going to be a cover band with portfolio from now on?
The one "elimination night" that I watched, where the band eliminated someone, the three people up for elimination each sang an INXS song.
GlennCase
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Yes
Recording Method: Incorrect methods
Submitting as: Glenn Case

Post by GlennCase »

Based on the little bit that I have seen, I am SO glad I didn't try out for this, based on one thing:

It seems more like "The Real World" or "Making the Band" than "American Idol"

See... there's one big difference here. On American Idol, it seems like there is a lot more time spent on the actual performances than life in the house. This show appears to be the opposite.

The one episode I DID see part of was focusing on people in the house that were appearing to be whiny little bitches, (like most reality T.V.)

I could definitely be wrong, but I predict that this difference in formula from A.I. will cause the project to be a commercial failure in the sales arena. (How many people honestly buy new CDs these days anyway, right?)

I say that the chances of someone winning without looking like a complete asshat seems SLIM.

ROCK!

Glenn (DR FUNK)
http://glenncase.songhole.org
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, vocals, bass, BIAB, keyboards (synth anything)
Recording Method: Tascam DP-24SD
Submitting as: King Arthur

Post by king_arthur »

Something that struck me right from the start was that whenever they flashed the singers' names on the screen, it was only the first name... they would say the first and last names, but only show the first name - that particular thing made it seem to me like it was much more of a 'reality show' than a singing competition. Based on what they said on the show, they had scoured the world to find a bunch of really good singers, people who could work at this level... and then made us think of them as a bunch of kids who were lucky enough to make it through the auditions. This is one place where I think AI got it totally right... Bo Bice may not be the greatest rock singer ever, but he now has name recognition that should help fill a few halls. Even some of those who were eliminated early from AI have managed to build local careers based on people knowing who they are.

That said, this IS probably a pretty good publicity stunt for INXS, who may be able to pull off another tour or two just from people who want to come and see whoever wins. But the other fundamental problem with this show, for me, is that I've never been much of an INXS fan, so I don't really much care who their new singer is going to be...

Charles (KA)
"...one does not write in dactylic hexameter purely by accident..." - poetic designs
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

GlennCase wrote:Based on the little bit that I have seen, I am SO glad I didn't try out for this, based on one thing:

It seems more like "The Real World" or "Making the Band" than "American Idol"

See... there's one big difference here. On American Idol, it seems like there is a lot more time spent on the actual performances than life in the house. This show appears to be the opposite.

The one episode I DID see part of was focusing on people in the house that were appearing to be whiny little bitches, (like most reality T.V.)

I could definitely be wrong, but I predict that this difference in formula from A.I. will cause the project to be a commercial failure in the sales arena. (How many people honestly buy new CDs these days anyway, right?)
Rockstar is on 3 nights a week. Sunday nights on VH1 focuses solely on their life in the house. Tuesday night on CBS is a performance show, and Wednesday night on CBS is an elimination show, which also features performances from 4 of the singers. It is mostly about the singing, but if you catch the wrong night, you'd never know. The "reality" episode isn't even necessary to watch, because they do a re-cap of it at the beginning of the elimination episode.

This thing is going to make so much more money than any season on American Idol ever did because of these reasons:

1) They offer mp3 downloads of the performances available for $0.99 online, like right after the show airs. They're making their money along the way, instead of waiting until the end of the show. If you like someone who doesn't make it to the end of the show, you can still get your hands on their music.

2) They're making a best of album of the music on the show for those people who don't want to DL songs online.

3) They hype these things all the time during the show, so you know that they're available.

I hate the idea of the show in general, it kind of turns my stomach. But it's very good TV. Very watchable. The band seems geniunely interested in picking the best person to front INXS. It's so much less annoying to have the band kick out the person they want to kick out then to have America use their poor judgement about who should be kicked out on any given week. That is the most annoying thing about watching American Idol. But every week, consistently, the band makes the absolute best choice based on all the information they have at hand as to who should go.
Justincombustion
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Drums. Drums. Drums.
Recording Method: Whatever that stuff in Glenn's basement is.
Submitting as: HalfRacks, Drink/Drank/Drunk, Baby In the Corner, Chuck the Bear

Re: INXS - Rock Star

Post by Justincombustion »

glenn could have easily done better than most of them imho....[/quote]

And he writes better songs too!
"When you can balance a tack-hammer on your head; you can then head off you opponent with a balanced attack!"
jb
Hot for Teacher

Post by jb »

I dunno man, the AI people do like three or four singles during the run of the show, then they do like a theme album of some kind.

Then after the show the top ten finalists go on a tour.

Plus the AI record company has contracts with basically every contestant for a piece of any recording they make. I dunno that "Rock Star" has the same Juice with INXS.

I think AI does all right with the revenue generation.

I like the early AI shows and the latter-stages of Rock Star. Put them together and they make one whole entertaining show.

Some of the Rock Star people are a bit hidebound for my taste, but they're talented and they're playing all the good INXS songs rather than Dianne Warren ballad dreck week after week.
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

The new Rockstar sounds interesting. Since they couldn't get Van Halen or Alice in Chains to play along, they did the next best thing. They made their own band. The band is called Supernova. It consists of Tommy Lee, Jason Newstead and Gilby Clarke. Not bad.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Denyer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Dunlop KT-26
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Denyer »

That sounds like a better idea than using an established band.
raisedbywolves
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by raisedbywolves »

At least they named the band after a kickass movie! You legions of Peter Facinelli fans know what I'm talkin' about!
Aren't you the guy that hit me in the eye?
jb
Hot for Teacher

Post by jb »

fuck right! naked robin tunney!