Don't Click Here (I'm Warning You Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Don't Click Here (I'm Warning You Reviews)

Post by Spud »

I told you not to click here.
Last edited by Spud on Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
jseavers05
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Recording Method: Sonar X3, FL Studio, Tascam US-1641, Art Pro MPA ii & VLA, M-Audio 88 Key, Monoprice 8" mntr

Post by jseavers05 »

yay
Thanks For The Frisbee
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: mine
Recording Method: wishful thinking
Submitting as: Thanks for the Frisbee

Post by Thanks For The Frisbee »

i am so glad i didnt enter a fight this week, ive only listened to ' im warning you' so far and there are SO many great songs there!
i should have reviews later, but i just wanted to let everyone know how awesome i think this fight is going to be!
Thanks for the frisbee is on Spotify, iTunes, Apple Music ect.
Kill Me Sarah
Panama
Instruments: Guitar, GarageBand
Recording Method: GarageBand, TonePort UXII, Reaper, MXL 990 & 991 Mics
Submitting as: Kill Me Sarah, Bonfire of the Manatees, Hurrikitten

Post by Kill Me Sarah »

I was going to say essentially what Frisbee said. Anyway, more reviews later but Henley and Seavers, fantastic as always. Kweep, please go out and buy Self's Subliminal Plastic Motives immediately. You're doing yourself a great disservice by not owning it. Doscientos song sounds like Steve Martin & Gang on the front porch in The Jerk. Also, I'm mildly less dissatisfied with my entry this week than usual. Yay!
"[...] so plodding it actually hurts a little bit" - Smalltown Mike
Del Sesto
A New Player

Post by Del Sesto »

This was my first songfight (alone). Just me, my bass, and about an hour or two of time. Nothing serious, just for kicks and giggles. Also, I'll have some reviews up after classes today.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
melvin
Push Comes to Shove

Post by melvin »

sir_walrus wrote:Melvin have you ever heard Abstract Rude - Coat of Paint (Finale).
No, I haven't, but now I'd like to. Got link?
hi!
Dan-O from Five-O
Panama
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Drums, Mandolin all graded on a sliding scale
Recording Method: Mixer to a Fostex D-160

Post by Dan-O from Five-O »

Andre was Here at Midnight: The sparse sounding drums work very well with the Honky Tonk piano, but the vibrato on the guitar seems a little out of place for an old Western sound. There’s a few spots where the drums seem badly out of time. It’s not a horrible thing though as it fits with the music and the singing and the rest of the playing which are all equally played down to that level. The story you’re telling fits the music very well, I just wish the storytellers were more in sync with each other. Weird ending.

Cheap Bastards: I’m not really a fan of that “telephoneâ€
jb wrote:Dan-O has a point.
JB
Del Sesto
A New Player

Post by Del Sesto »

The riff at the beginning seems real out of place because there’s no relationship to the rest of the song at all.
Haha, I know. I just had this weird finger tapping thing recorded and I wanted to put it in the song, so I just made it fade in and out for 5 seconds. It really isn't even part of the song, I just liked it too much not to put it in.
Kweep
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Kweep »

hey all,

i just got back from a family funeral :( and am finally getting a chance to hear these awesomenesses!

kms - will do!
Dan-0 from Five-0 wrote: [...]The fake horns steal all that way from the rest...[...]
There's no horns... is it the acoustic guitar 'stabs' you're talkin' about?

ok, back to listenin'!
Dan-O from Five-O
Panama

Whatever that noise was, sounded odd and out of place.
JB
rone rivendale
Odie
Instruments: Electronica, nothing real
Recording Method: Fruity Loops, Goldwave
Submitting as: Rone Rivendale
Pronouns: he/him

Post by rone rivendale »

[quote]Rone Riverdale: The “Oh No! Not another lame techno songâ€
From spoken word to actual singing, I can screw up any style with style. :D
Kweep
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Kweep »

Andre - prety cool over all... i especially dig the lyrics. the piano is a little hot in the mix. the time keeping (or lack there of) is pretty annoying.

Cheap Bastards - very cool vibe! i'm with dan-0 on the desire for a vocal sound change somewhere but over all... really cool.

Dan-0 - good productin... it coulda used a little variation (but that's like the pot callin the kettle black, with me sayin' it).

Delsesto - heh! fun AND funny... great lyrics.

Donut - f*ckin' funny. i don't believe i've ever heard a plea for anal acceptance before.

Dosientos - really good song

Johnny Grippo - damn, i really dig this!

Jordan Seavers - another fine tune. great sounds.

KMS - much better guitar tone! and sweet use of vocal variations (not only the harmonies and doubling but the change in style... that's cool, man!)... and rock that harmonica (but, maybe bring it down a db or 2 in the mix?)

kweep - me. i felt the need to go anti-last weeks sissyness :) (dan-0, i went back and listened to the acid file with the acoustic 'stab' track muted, and it totally cleaned up... i'll be doing a mix of it that way soon. thanks for your ears!)

Luke - great tune!

Melvin - nice, man. great build... and great tones over all.

rone - i laughed all the way through. you warned me but i'm glad i didn't listen to you. i dig it.

sir walrus - somehow, addictive... but my 'fein high crashed after about 2 minutes (i.e. it was too long to keep me fully interested).

special relative - good tune! sounds like you're overdriving the vocal chain somewhere and that is a pretty distracting, but not enough to make it unlistenable.

i really enjoyed all the tunes this week and will have a very hard time chosing who to vote for.
Kill Me Sarah
Panama

Post by Kill Me Sarah »

Dan-O from Five-O wrote:Kill me Sarah: The chorus on this seems like it was just absolutely hammered in there. I’m not talking about just the different feel behind it, the recording itself sounds like it’s different. Like you played all of your verses first, and then cut and pasted the chorus into them.
Thanks for complements and criticizm. The whole song was recorded in sections, rather than straight through (except for the first two verses, which is probably why the timing is off :)). As for the choruses (chorusi?) I'm not sure why it has that effect, though I suspect it might be that I really had to belt that part out vocally coupled with the double vocals. I probably should have lowered the volume a bit on that.
Kweep wrote:KMS - much better guitar tone! and sweet use of vocal variations (not only the harmonies and doubling but the change in style... that's cool, man!)... and rock that harmonica (but, maybe bring it down a db or 2 in the mix?)
You're too kind. This is the first song fight I've recorded with my Fender Acoustic/Electric which may contribute to the better tone since before I just mic'd a cheap Washburn. I've been trying to figure out what it is that I really like about some of my favorite artists that I myself am lacking, and going in with that in mind I put in more changes than usual and did more vocal double-tracking and harmonies, so I'm super glad you liked it :)
Oh, and that was my first ever attempt at recording harmonica (it was practically my first time playing it) so I'm glad it didn't grate too bad and I'll remember to drop the volume a tad on it next time.
Dan-O from Five-O
Panama

kill_me_sarah wrote:
Dan-O from Five-O wrote:Kill me Sarah: The chorus on this seems like it was just absolutely hammered in there. I’m not talking about just the different feel behind it, the recording itself sounds like it’s different. Like you played all of your verses first, and then cut and pasted the chorus into them.
Thanks for complements and criticizm. The whole song was recorded in sections, rather than straight through
That's it, it was recorded in sections as I suspected. That might be fine for the composing portion of the song, but once you have your arrangement down, I would highly recommend that you go back and record the whole song straight through. At least until you get better with your editing. I know the time constraints make that extra step kind of difficult but the payoff will be worth it.
JB
Kill Me Sarah
Panama

Post by Kill Me Sarah »

Dan-O from Five-O wrote:once you have your arrangement down, I would highly recommend that you go back and record the whole song straight through.
Generally the reason I don't do that in the first place is because I have difficulty playing and singing at the same time without my hands somehow shifting into the same strumming pattern for every song. To get a different strumming pattern I have to record the guitar first and then sing (any recommendations for how to be able to sing and play independently?). However, I think it's a good suggestion so I'll give it a shot w/ my next song.
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

kill_me_sarah wrote:(any recommendations for how to be able to sing and play independently?)
step 1) get a television
step 2) get your guitar
step 3) sit down in front of the television with the guitar
step 4) practice playing and singing different rythms for two or three years
Dan-O from Five-O
Panama

It's called multi-tracking for a reason. OK, that's mean, but you can multi-track can't you? I mean, record your guitar part, and then record a vocal track afterward? Let me explain that further before the inevitable question. Let's say I have a 16 track recorder because, you know.....I do. If I record my guitar on track 1, that's 1 track I've used. If I record it in stereo, that's 2 tracks I've used. Track 1 panned fully left, track 2 panned fully right. Then I record a vocal on track 3 and so on until I have used up either all 16 tracks or all of the tracks I want to use. Then I mix them all together into one stereo master.

Sorry if the multi-tracking 101 was remedial, but you should get my point. Recording all of your parts seperately allows you to focus on each individual part that you're recording. That's another reason I suggested that you use a metronome so you can record that to a track and have it keep you on time throughout all of your parts.
JB
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

kill_me_sarah wrote:I've been trying to figure out what it is that I really like about some of my favorite artists that I myself am lacking
talent, perseverance, and years of hard work. you don't get the end product without the work up front - and even then you don't get the end product if you're a mediocre artist to begin with.
Kill Me Sarah
Panama

Post by Kill Me Sarah »

blue wrote:and even then you don't get the end product if you're a mediocre artist to begin with.
You steal balloons from children, don't you?
Kill Me Sarah
Panama

Post by Kill Me Sarah »

Dan-O from Five-O wrote:I would highly recommend that you go back and record the whole song straight through.
Dan-O from Five-O wrote: Recording all of your parts seperately allows you to focus on each individual part that you're recording. That's another reason I suggested that you use a metronome so you can record that to a track and have it keep you on time throughout all of your parts.
melvin
Push Comes to Shove

Post by melvin »

He means to record your guitar part all the way through. Then record your vocal part all the way through. Then record your bass part all the way through. Then record your tambourine part all the way through. And so on, like that. This is contrasted with recording the verses and choruses separately, then pasting them together. Dig?
hi!