There can be only one.
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Nur Ein I Round Seven "Sore Winner"

Post by Niveous »

Will it be Calfborg? Leaf? Glenn? You decide!!

The vote now belongs to the exiled Nur Ein fighters. PM Niveous with your vote on the SF Message boards. Give 3 Points to your favorite song. 2 Points for 2nd place and 1 Point for last. Your votes must be in by Friday, April 28th at 12PM-EST. And at 1PM, we will announce who will stand tall at the top of the Nur Ein!!!!!!

NUR EIN!!!!!!
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
GlennCase
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Yes
Recording Method: Incorrect methods
Submitting as: Glenn Case
Pronouns: he/him

Post by GlennCase »

<a href="http://www.songhole.org/glenncase/nurei ... 3u">STREAM ALL</a> created

Best of luck, Leaf! Best of luck, Calfborg! I am honored just to be here, and I am glad that I was able to make a song for the final round.

ROCK!

Glenn (DR FUNK)
http://glenncase.songhole.org
Niveous
Beat It

Post by Niveous »

Thank you, Glenn for the stream.

Judges, I do not envy you. I have already given a few spins to these 3 songs and this is not an easy decision.

Please do not factor in previous entries into your decision. Just on the merit of this final song. Did they bring their A game?

Who will be standing tall at the top of the Nur Ein.

Final 3 competitors: I ask if you all could send me a second picture of yourselves that I can use on the page for the finale.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
jimtyrrell
Mr. Beast
Instruments: Guitar/bass/keys
Recording Method: Various. Mostly Garageband these days, actually.
Submitting as: Jim Tyrrell

Post by jimtyrrell »

If we're PMing the vote, then I'm worried my reviews would give my vote away. Is this a problem?
Niveous
Beat It

Post by Niveous »

Did the jury's reviews ever give away the result?
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
jimtyrrell
Mr. Beast
Instruments: Guitar/bass/keys
Recording Method: Various. Mostly Garageband these days, actually.
Submitting as: Jim Tyrrell

Post by jimtyrrell »

Well no, the judges' previous reviews didn't necessarily give away the vote. But this is a much smaller field. When judging only three participants, I think a judge's order of preference will be much more evident from the reviews, unless one takes pains to remain intentionally noncommital, in which case, what's the point of reviewing?

Of course, it may be that PMing the vote is purely for administrative purposes; I don't blame you for not wanting to cull vote results out of the review thread.

I suppose the best thing for me to do is clam up and review, and see what happens. I'm on the case. :)

Calfborg - This is definitely A-Game. Wish I could understand the lyrics better, but that's probably not your fault, as I'm trying to listen at work. Still, this has got a great vibe, and I look forward to hearing it again. 2nd listen: I caught a little more of the vocals, because my listening environment got quieter. :) Nice work! Something about this reminds me of Mr. Bungle, and that's a point in your favor.

Glenn Case - This grows on me as it goes along. The first couple lines (lyrics) strike me as rhythmically awkward, but after that this settles in to a solid effort. Those first lines probably stand out as much as they do because they're very atypical of your work. Your lyrics are, by and large, almost conversational in their natural flow. The rest of this song exhibits that talent well.

Leaf 62 - Another artist who can be counted on for superior production. Wow, I wasn't ready for that change-up. Man, this is clean. Nice job on the lyrics here as well. The BlahBlahBlah made me laugh out loud.

Well, I guess nobody's gonna guess my vote if I don't even know what it is myself, so what was I worried about? Here's three A-game tracks for sure. There can only be one, but damned if I know which one it is. I'll decide (and vote) soon though. Nur Ein!
GlennCase
Ice Cream Man

Post by GlennCase »

For the record: my vocals are too loud, and I know it.

When I was listening in Windows Media Player it sounded fantastic, and I couldn't understand why the vocals sounded so loud in other media players... It's because I had the TruBass on... It sounds GREAT with TruBass, not so good without it.

I figure that I am stuck with the version I submitted, as it was what I sent in before the deadline, but I may mix the vocals lower today and submit a better mix as an alternate link.

ROCK!

Glenn (DR FUNK)
Märk
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, bass
Recording Method: Presonus Audiobox 44VSL, Cubase
Submitting as: ROTR, svenmullet, I forget what else
Pronouns: master

Post by Märk »

I'm pretty much convinced the only way you'll *truly* know your mix is good is if you listen on your house stereo, with no EQ.
* this is not a disclaimer
LMNOP
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by LMNOP »

In the truck, in heavy traffic on the interstate. Loud, soft, windows up, window cracked. In the truck, there is mixing truth.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

Yeah, for my albums I've taken to listening to it with Michelle in the car and talking to her, and if there are times I can't hear the music or it's too loud I know I've got problems. She may get sick of hearing my albums over and over, not sure.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Middlemarch
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Location: Northern New York-west of the Hudson and north of everything (except Canada-and those other places)

Post by Middlemarch »

LMNOP wrote:In the truck, in heavy traffic on the interstate. Loud, soft, windows up, window cracked. In the truck, there is mixing truth.
AMEN!!! :wink:

Not a full review, but I'm listening to my fellow Glenn, and I'm digging it. Yeah, the vocals are high, but it's a strong hook, clever arrangement, and I'm gonna steal some of your ideas, okay? :lol:

....still listening. Leaf, this is a fun tune. I like the loud/quiet dynamic. The short, sharp annunciation and riff reminds me of Rush in a way, then you rip into speed punk. I like all these changes. Enough to keep it interesting, but not too much to be overbearing. What is missing, though, with all these changes/styles, is coherency. A fun and friendly game...

peace
<i>"you kind of sound like Oscar the Grouch" -- Feldspar

"sounds like church camp stuff" -- Tricia </i>

<a href="http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/alb ... id=1503">G. Williker at Nowhere Radio</a>
GlennCase
Ice Cream Man

Post by GlennCase »

Middlemarch wrote: Not a full review, but I'm listening to my fellow Glenn, and I'm digging it. Yeah, the vocals are high, but it's a strong hook, clever arrangement, and I'm gonna steal some of your ideas, okay? :lol:
Thanks! They say that theft is a high form of flattery. Steal away. Your avatar kicks much ass, by the way! I am sure that you are already aware that it is a picture of one of the best bands in the known universe. <a href="http://glenncase.songhole.org/content/s ... .JPG">Paul is my freaking hero.</a>

Thanks ALSO to all of the mixing tips. I am always the first to admit that my mixing and mastering skills are not skills at all. They are luck. Some of my mixes will miraculously turn out great, but I have no rhyme or reason to how I do it. Enough talk about EQ and frequencies, and you will be talking over my head in NO time. It's not that I don't want good sounding mixes, I just don't understand much in that department, and I haven't found a tutorial yet that helps me grasp the concepts involved.

ROCK!

Glenn (DR FUNK)
http://glenncase.songhole.org
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Post by ken »

Calfborg: I’d like there to be more of an intro to this song. As it is, it seems a little cut off. I like the blips and bleeps. I like the jazzy drum break. Something about the vocals and delivery reminds me of Steven Wright; kind of dull and out of it. It matches the music well though. I’m not drawn into the lyrics. Why the long vibe and string break? You could cut this down and add more intro. Did you fade out on the chorus at the end?

Glenn Case: Nice vocals. Nice hits. I even like the acoustic guitar tone. I think this sounds good. The vocals only sound slightly loud to me, but in a good pop way.

Leaf: This sounds as good as all your other songs. It just stops short of poppy, which would definitely win my heart. I don’t know if it just a little slow or what.

I don’t really feel able to vote. These are my friends and competitors. Don’t know what I’ll do.
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
Niveous
Beat It

Post by Niveous »

The Votes are in. I have tabulated and in a few minutes I will announce the winner of the first Nur Ein.

I just want to take the moment to thank everyone. The Nur Ein has been a great sidefight. The music has been exceptional.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Drama queen :)
Middlemarch
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Location: Northern New York-west of the Hudson and north of everything (except Canada-and those other places)

Post by Middlemarch »

GlennCase wrote: Your avatar kicks much ass, by the way! I am sure that you are already aware that it is a picture of one of the best bands in the known universe. <a href="http://glenncase.songhole.org/content/s ... .JPG">Paul is my freaking hero.</a>
THAT is an awesome pic. Paul rules--in a selfish way, I'm glad he's completely underrated. One of the best songwriters ever.

I saw the Replacements open for Tom Petty many, many years ago at the NYS Fair. They were so drunk (of course).

My Rate of Decay entry is pretty heavily influenced my Paul. 8)
GlennCase wrote: I am always the first to admit that my mixing and mastering skills are not skills at all. They are luck. Some of my mixes will miraculously turn out great, but I have no rhyme or reason to how I do it. It's not that I don't want good sounding mixes, I just don't understand much in that department, and I haven't found a tutorial yet that helps me grasp the concepts involved.
Oh, that sounds so familiar. I am a master at the hit-and-miss mixing process. Click buttons and see what happens, that's my motto. :lol:
<i>"you kind of sound like Oscar the Grouch" -- Feldspar

"sounds like church camp stuff" -- Tricia </i>

<a href="http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/alb ... id=1503">G. Williker at Nowhere Radio</a>
Niveous
Beat It

Post by Niveous »

Did J$ just call me a queen?
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

Niveous wrote:The Votes are in. I have tabulated and in a few minutes I will announce the winner of the first Nur Ein.

I just want to take the moment to thank everyone. The Nur Ein has been a great sidefight. The music has been exceptional.
Ah crap, I didn't get to vote yet.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Kamakura
Panama
Instruments: Drums, Guitar, Keys, Howling
Recording Method: LogicPro
Submitting as: Kamakura

Post by Kamakura »

HeuristicsInc wrote:Ah crap, I didn't get to vote yet.
Me neither, still never mind eh.
Some exceptional music and a worthy winner

Congrats Glen :D
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

https://kamakura.bandcamp.com