y = f(x) = C(a^(-x)) (rate of decay reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
mkilly
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar

y = f(x) = C(a^(-x)) (rate of decay reviews)

Post by mkilly »

have at it, boys.
"It is really true what philosophy tells us, that life must be understood backwards. But with this, one forgets the second proposition, that it must be lived forwards." Søren Kierkegaard
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

What's C(x)?
MENBAH!
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Alesis Firewire -> Garageband

Post by MENBAH! »

The mass of Carbon times the mass of lower case, truncated Xenon, of course.
Märk
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, bass
Recording Method: Presonus Audiobox 44VSL, Cubase
Submitting as: ROTR, svenmullet, I forget what else
Pronouns: master

Post by Märk »

g°a(t*s)e=c(x)
* this is not a disclaimer
Plat
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: teeth and other bones
Recording Method: cubase, native instruments, waves, izotope, ears
Submitting as: The Cow Exchange, Eat It 'n' Mattress

Post by Plat »

fluffy wrote:What's C(x)?
Cow Exchange?

/selfPromotion
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

first pirate avatar post.
mkilly
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar

Post by mkilly »

I just copied this: http://libraryofmath.com/math/Calculus_ ... tions.html

edit: it's not my fault that combining URLs and proper English equals retarded.
Last edited by mkilly on Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It is really true what philosophy tells us, that life must be understood backwards. But with this, one forgets the second proposition, that it must be lived forwards." Søren Kierkegaard
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

What an awesome 404.
Steve Durand
Panama
Instruments: trumpet, trombone, sax, clarinet, flute, keyboards, banjo, guitar, bass, ukulele
Recording Method: SONAR 6, Dell Inspiron E1705, Edirol UA-25, Studio Projects B-1 Mic
Submitting as: Steve Durand, Elastic Waste Band

Post by Steve Durand »

You gotta take that very last period off of the end. Try this.

http://libraryofmath.com/math/Calculus_ ... tions.html

Steve
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture" -Unknown
"Seems to me this is the point of Songfight" - Max The Cat
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
EightLeggedOedipus
Push Comes to Shove

Post by EightLeggedOedipus »

Well, kids, I did three versions of this week's song and they all suck. The first was well recorded, but a poor performance. That was Thursday night. When I wnet to submit it Friday morning the file was corrupted. So I hurriedly recreated the track from scratch, and submitted it (I think it was actually 10:0 AM PST).

Then after that I still had the session up, and I just mic'ed the room and recorded this version:

http://www.mbeanis.com/8LO-RateOfDecay-StudioLive.mp3

If you've got a minute, check it out. Thanks. And again I'm sorry that all the versions of this song are drastically flawed. Depending on the feedback, I may end up re-doing the whoel song properly later. Thanks.

8LO
<a href="http://www.mbeanis.com/0.html">Understand</a> my reviews. Voted best auto-wrecking record of 2005! "<a href="http://www.thedrinks.net/"><b>The Drinks</a></b>' - Grr!" available now.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

I like it, even lo-fi. Actually I think that helps it.
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

you know what i like about you, 8L0, is that you can pull of beatlepoppy bubblegum like this, but you don't feel like you have to do it all the time just to make friends and feel like you're a "real" songwriter. it makes me so much more likely to dig into the tune when it's a once-in-a-blue-moon kinda thing than when it's every-freakin-week or instead-of-crappy-emo.

i feel like this would totally be the "dude and guitar" set opener before the whole band comes on and the dwarves come out of their cages and then the man-eating lion starts chasing the front-row dorks around in circles and the kerosene cans "accidentally" catch fire.

kudos to you, dude. and, that is a pretty sweet song.
Reist
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Drums, Guitar
Recording Method: Yamaha AW1600, Reaper
Submitting as: Therman

Post by Reist »

EightLeggedOedipus wrote:and they all suck.
Just listen to my entry this week, and you'll feel way better about yourself.
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Hey Melvin, what's with that sample (?) at 0.58 of your song? The rest of the song is fairly clear but I don't see how it fits in.

j$
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

TFTF – Why are the cool drums panned hard right? I keep wanting them to go in the middle. Otherwise this is pretty pretty nice. I like. Also vocal maybe creeps a little loud in the mix at times.

8LO – Sweet. Fluff, maybe, but beautifully recorded and performed and pleasing on the ear fluff.

Medmonk – if you’re from the UK why are you doing that mid-atlantic schtick? This is just stupid, annoying stupid, not funny stupid. Sorry to diss a fellow little islander but I don’t like this.

Starchild – This is strange. I like it. The clunky piano especially. But my interest palls pretty quickly. I like the effect, the tinking behind the arrangement, but I am not following the words (probably a personal thing – not into nerdcore rap, even when the voice is deliberately effected to sound even more nerdy – which is cool) – so by 2.54 I am itching to turn it off. I like the constituent parts but it’s not making a whole for me.

Steve D – nice bass line. This is a bit jazzy for me. Or do I mean funky? Jazz-funky. Lyrically this feels like words you wanted to write for ‘Galaxies’ a few months back :) Actually this has a nice reggae-lite feel about it. It’s pretty camp at times (around the essence of the sun line) Like Andy Williams’ version of ‘Aquarius’. Did you just squeeze ‘senesence’ into the song? A guilty pleasure.

Malchicks – I like this but it needs to be a 2 minute song for me, and that chord progression sounds so familiar, but I can’t place it. Maybe it’s just that rising bass-line at the end of every other four bars… well recorded, performed and produced, and I can see it going down well. I like its punky heart, but there’s just a bit too much of a good thing this time. EDIT: Oh I was very disappointed with your name - I though you were gonna be a cool Girlschool type affair :)

Jolly Roger – Don’t know what the fuss is about your voice – sounds great here. I even like the spoken part, which I normally leap on in a second. The whistling is a bit incongruous, apart from nice echo of the birds at the beginning … oh there they are again to hammer home the point. No, this is good.

The Special Relatives – oooh, that’s a bit hot. Is that the right phrase? Loud and everything maximised. That’ll teach me to play with my player up at 75% (!) (turns down). Yeah brief to the point, not bad. Just a bit oppressive mix-wise. I’m a pussy for sure.

Those Meddling Kids – if that guitar was a saxophone, the verse could be James Last / Chance. Vocals there too loud though. Nice shouty emotion though. I am less interested by the electropop bright eyes-esque bit. Much less interested as I am waiting for the noisy bit to come back. At 2.20ish I realise it’s not going to, and I am sad. I wanted noise jerk rhythm verses and pretty choruses. That would have been super-cool. The decaying thing you were talking about I didn’t really notice and I read about it in advance. Are growth of chaos and decay of control the same thing? I guess I am saying that it wasn’t that controlled in the first 10 seconds … heh.

Menbah – my stalker brings a cool bass line. this has got a nice garage rock feel to it but the arrangement is something else entirely and the contrast makes it better. Just as I am thinking hope it changes soon, in comes the bonkers guitar ... all it needs is a solo or something …. Ah there we go J A little traditional in the song but the arrangement / mix / production fascinates me. Maybe that’s a little wanky to get excited about, but hey.

Lake City – Another chord sequence that sounds real familiar. I like the singer’s voice. The chorus doesn’t grab me as much as the verses. But I do like the strange guitar noodles before the solo. I like the chorus (second time round) it just feels like there should be some other lead instrument in there contrasting the melody. Nice.

Ratt Poizon – I don’t really have anything to say about this. Kaelodoscopic psychedelia – I have a feeling there will be a wacky change-up and there it is. I am not gonna han around to see if it switches back out Klownhole Jr – sorry. Just cos you can do lots of styles well doesn’t mean you should do them all.

Smalltown Mike – Actually it’s both the rate of decay and the death that concern me. I don’t like the ‘Scat’ at the beginning – if you can call it scat. I love the little hammond organ chirps that cools. Did you just say ‘Mon’? This has a dubbed up rage against the machine feel to it. As ever, a bit too earnest for my personal tastes – but it’s well done.

Chin Music – I don’t like the ‘personality’-infused vocal infections. I mean I would like to hear a nice voice like this not wasted on novelty performance. In fact I like the tune and the words, I just can’t hear beyond the ‘novelty’ arrangement and performance. Nah, not for me.

Ron Rivendale – I can’t speak for anyone else, but I’m not laughing with you I’m laughing at you. Well, really, what do you want me to say? I sure as hell don’t like it.

G Williker – Great soar into this. Yeah nice fuzzy guitar pop. Not my thing, most of the time, and this is no exception, despite liking the fairly familiar but good anyway vocals. My big regret is that line about ‘I’m dying and it’s all your fault’ isn’t explored any further, or at least not in a way that leaps out at me (<clever way of avoiding looking stupid when you reveal the whole song is all about that) This is standard indie pop, not bad at all, not engaging me though. On headphones, this sounds a little sharp (not tune wise just mix wise).

Eclectic Spoons – this really sounds like lo-fi smooth noodle maps Devo to me, only with less sequencing. The mix is a bit sloppy, and this could do with a more driving dynamic at the heart of it, but I don’t mind it at all. Maybe it’s because I sound so much like you :roll:

Melvin – I don’t really have any feelings about this one way or the other. I haven’t heard you rap before – it’s passable, I guess. I am not a huge rap fan so I don’t really feel qualified to give any comments, except to re-iterate about that sample at 0.58 – I don’t really see where you’re going with that, and I fear it could be taken totally the wrong way. (or maybe the right way if you are trying to suggest black people can be racists too.) Oh and I would say you miss the point in trying to draw a line between being artistic and being populist. One can also be both, or one can be neither.

Space Pub – is me. This didn’t really work out. It has merits in my big dub experiment but I stupidly tried to second guess the SF audience and made it too fast, too busy and didn’t make the bass line interesting enough within the self-imposed limits. Still stage 1 of the journey on the way to dub. We shall see if I nail it any better next week.

I quite enjoyed this fight, but it was a bit all over the place maybe. Not that's a bad thing - in my eyes, anyway ...

EDIT: to put smilies in.
Smalltown Mike
Mean Street
Submitting as: shrts, Sewer Ppl, Flaming Tiger, shrts, shot pounder, Gert, Slither, Gaping Maw
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Smalltown Mike »

j$ wrote:Did you just say ‘Mon’?
Don't know where you mean, but no.
Punk rock is for children. Grab a six-pack at Half-a-Dozen Records.
Nigel (spOOn) Clements
Mean Street
Instruments: None... But I use Reason 3.0, an iAxe 624 and an old beaten up acoustic, and sometimes I hit things.
Recording Method: Reason 3.0, Magix Audio Studio 11 Deluxe, Samson C01U USB Studio Condenser Microphone.
Submitting as: Nigel Clements, Accessory Twelve, @eclectic spOOns, Cynthia Size

Post by Nigel (spOOn) Clements »

j$ wrote:Eclectic Spoons – this really sounds like lo-fi smooth noodle maps Devo to me, only with less sequencing. The mix is a bit sloppy, and this could do with a more driving dynamic at the heart of it, but I don’t mind it at all. Maybe it’s because I sound so much like you :roll:
:lol: Cheers Johnny, yeah it's a bit sloppy but not bad for 40 minutes work, this was a last minute experiment in timing, y nada mas, but thanks anyhoo.

I have taken all your songs away and am now going to do the reviews ('cause Heuristics said I had to :lol: )
Kill Me Sarah
Panama
Instruments: Guitar, GarageBand
Recording Method: GarageBand, TonePort UXII, Reaper, MXL 990 & 991 Mics
Submitting as: Kill Me Sarah, Bonfire of the Manatees, Hurrikitten

Post by Kill Me Sarah »

Frisbee: Haha, I know that the drums are just really distorted and compress-y because of your crappy set-up and tiny room, but it makes them sound awesome! You couldn't have produced those drums to sound better IMO. The hard panning isn't bothering me over my speakers, not sure what it would be like over headphones.
"[...] so plodding it actually hurts a little bit" - Smalltown Mike
Stubby Phillips
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Stubby Phillips »

Medmonk:
A poem set to a sloppy guitar. The lyric isn't bad, but not really engaging, and the resolution (death) isn't satisfying to me. (?) 20 seconds of dead air at the end.

@eclecticspOOns:
The vocal sound is kinda interesting for a while, but then I lose interest. A change or two would have been nice, as well as an additional melody/counterpoint somewhere in there.

The Special Relatives:
I like whack lyric -- and this qualifies. But like the first two, it's just the same all the way through. The guitar grabs me for a while, but I escape. Easily.

Smalltown Mike:
I like the vox. I like the variety of sounds. Changes! A structure! Thanks. Good sound. Production shines. Nice!

Thanks for the Frisbee:
Nice doubled vocals. I like the drums, except that they're too far to the right. I prefer the left. Pretty balanced (level-wise) sound and playing. Pretty good.

Steve Durand:
Good mix. Cool horns -- real? Gotta be. Reminds me of something from the 70s. Not bad, just not my style...

MENBAH!:
Cool lyric. Oh, yeah -- then the guitar hits. Nice. Then the solo -- OK, but kinda filler. I like the energy that goes till the end. Good length. Good mix and vox, too.

Ratt Poizon:
Like the guitar intro. Like the sparse-ness. Less is more. Then something is different -- oh, yeah -- it changes. Change is good. You chuckle like "Ha, sucked you in, Chump!" Reminds me of Forced Entry. (SHAMELESS NAME DROP) Knew those guys -- what, 8 years ago? Collin's in Maiden Seattle. Last time I saw Brad he was selling new Fords in LAKE CITY (ancient history).
EDIT: They have a site: http://www.myspace.com/forcedentry1 Wonder if it's really them? I'll have to check it out...

Lake City:
The latest incarnation of Stubby Phillips and Dr. Water. The Dr. wrote the whole thing (except 3 words), recorded the vocal tracks (including some she didn't think I'd use -- oops!), then left the whole thing in my care. HA!

Melvin:
Lyric ROCKS... er, I mean RAPS! HOPS? I don't know, but it's pretty cool. The whole thing's tight, but I don't know how much is samples. Doesn't matter -- I LIKE IT!

Malchicks:
Pretty cool. Guitar solo stuff needs to be a little louder. Good energy level, and nice changes -- but the rythym riff is starting to get on my nerves.

Space Pub:
The first one to use 'decay' as a gimmick. I thought of that, but ran out of time. Not bad... gets a mood going, which is good. Lots of room in the mix -- like that, too.

G. Williker:
Good vocals, mix, changes, lyric, playing, ending. Radio music.

Starchild:
The samples hold my interest for a while, but not long. I think it's too long, with not enough going on. Some of the lyric is cool ("...maybe you've lived your life already"), but like I said...

Rone Rivendale:
Man, that keyboard is annoying. And that's all there is, unfortunately. The 'poem' isn't much -- sorry.

8LO:
This reminds me of The Beatles somehow... Oh yeah, it rips off "I Will" on the White Album. Still, the lyric and delivery are good.

Jolly Roger:
The rushed vocal lines annoy me. As does the whistling. Hell, the whole song annoys me. Don't get me wrong -- I've submitted totally annoying songs too. Why do we do that? Just to submit a song, I guess...

Those Meddling Kids:
Interesting stuff at 0:21. Your kick sounds like a click. The whole 'toy sound' thing is not very engaging. What's up with that ending?

I'm going with Melvin or MENBAH! or Smalltown Mike.
Enter a song? Review songs!
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, programming
Recording Method: Cubase, Reason
Submitting as: Balance Lost

Post by furrypedro »

j$ wrote:I wanted noise jerk rhythm verses and pretty choruses. The decaying thing you were talking about I didn’t really notice and I read about it in advance. Are growth of chaos and decay of control the same thing? I guess I am saying that it wasn’t that controlled in the first 10 seconds … heh.
you should know better than to expect choruses from me :)

I've already conceded the concept was rubbish but I had no time for significant structural changes by the time I figured it wasn't gonna work. It was supposed to mellow over time; so it goes through hard rock/indie/ambient stages and this doesn't make for a very interesting listen, a kind of anti-crescendo if you will. I definitely should have brought the riffs back, oh well there's always next week.

Interesting last comment there. Do you mean it sounded all over the place or that it was being made up as I went along? cos that's the kind of response Carpetburn often gets to the more stop-starty stuff which I find odd because I find that style of playing requires much more control and discipline than straight 4/4 progressions and riffs. Unless you meant control in another way....
thanks for the review anyway!

mine are coming
Stubby Phillips wrote:What's up with that ending?
It's trying to do what you weren't expecting and to hell with the consequences :P
Stubby Phillips
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Stubby Phillips »

Furrypedro wrote:It's trying to do what you weren't expecting and to hell with the consequences
Success!
Enter a song? Review songs!