Beetle suX0rz!! Jetta r0x0rz!!! (VW reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Albatross
KING OF THE FORUMS
KING OF THE FORUMS
Instruments: Bass, drums, guitar, hand farts
Recording Method: Firewire 1814, Sonar X1
Submitting as: Albatross, Primitive Screwheads

Beetle suX0rz!! Jetta r0x0rz!!! (VW reviews)

Post by Albatross »

scr00 j00 n00bz, passats are da shiznit.
Stubby Phillips
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Re: Beetle suX0rz!! Jetta r0x0rz!!! (VW reviews)

Post by Stubby Phillips »

Albatross wrote:scr00 j00 n00bz, passats are da shiznit.
Yo, Albatross --
Type twOO rOOlz -- especially my '78 Westie!
(Loved my '98 Jetta, but the back seat was tOO small!)
Enter a song? Review songs!
Albatross
KING OF THE FORUMS
KING OF THE FORUMS
Instruments: Bass, drums, guitar, hand farts
Recording Method: Firewire 1814, Sonar X1
Submitting as: Albatross, Primitive Screwheads

Re: Beetle suX0rz!! Jetta r0x0rz!!! (VW reviews)

Post by Albatross »

Stubby Phillips wrote: (Loved my '98 Jetta, but the back seat was tOO small!)
Too small for WHAT??? <ahem><cough>
Stubby Phillips
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Dude -- you mean your parents never told you about...
OK, just type "XXX" in Google and pick any site that comes up. There's bound to be more than a few to choose from. See what that man and that woman are doing? That's why a big back seat is a gOOd thing... and why Westies are Besties!
Mr. Car
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Wood things with P-90's
Recording Method: Lang-O-Tron 3.2.4
Submitting as: sonofsupercar

Post by Mr. Car »

Slugs. 1961-1967. Preferably with a hole in the top and a Wolfsburg Crest on the hood.
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

50% of the music in this fight was produced in San Jose. :D
Last edited by blue on Thu May 11, 2006 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Car
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Mr. Car »

GO SHARKS
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

It would be churlish not to review such a small fight.

The Anchors - Not bad. Some intersting guitaring going on - though maybe it's a bit dominant for what is basically a rhythm part? That and the unrelenting, unchanging drum machine stop this being a cool Hot Hot heat type thing. I don't dislike it, for sure. And I like the way you yelp 'strength through joy'

Booty Chesterfield Trio - Cowbell! Hmmm, that's sonic sludge mixwise. It's got a good 'bootleg on the boombox' feel i suppose. Yeah that's garage rock alright. I like the singer's voice, but it's not nasty enough for the Iggy-style voicings that I wanna hear over this, to elevate it beyond pretty well done garage rock, which there is plenty of.

Spencer Schoening - For a name like that I was hoping for some weird left-field arty electronica. Hmmmm I am not digging this very much. The muffled reverby mix is only highlighting some of those distractingly off-key notes. And it makes listening to 5 minutes of this a chore. Potentially interesting, but this is a good example where the poor recording/mixing/production/whatever spoils the enjoyment. Even turned up to 100% volume it's too damn quiet. 'We drove to the moon in dad's VW' is a great line. Good solo, interesting vibe, but that mix makes me stop before the end. Sorry.

Turtleboy - This is a bit plodding - i don't mean it's too slow but there is one too many things going on somewhere in the middle of the low end (be it bass drum, bass, or whatever - I'm not sure - someone who understands producing might be able to be specific) that is dragging it down. I like '0-60 in one afternoon' - so do you, the number of times you repeat it :) i like the feel of this - it has a great percussive drive (at least in theory if that thing whatever it is in the low-end wasn't dragging) and the blend of pop and intruiging arrangement lights my fire. I just think it's not quite droney enough to be a drone and not quite perky enough to be a pop hit. But I quite like it.

Nothing 'Herbie Goes To Monte Carlo' here, in my opinion, but everything had really great parts and nothing truly terrible.
Stubby Phillips
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Turtle Boys:
This is interesting. Unfortunately, it doesn't change. I was hoping for something to bust out at any moment, like "...the PEOPLE'S CAR!" with big drums, bass, and power chords or something... but that's just me. I like it loud -- sometimes.

The Booty Chesterfield Trio:
Love that saturated tape sound! Short and to the point. You don't waste my bandwidth or attention. Your last song was better, though. The word 'honest' comes to mind. You guys gig, I hope. Yeah.

Spencer Schoening:
Low level. Like the "go to the moon" line. Nice guitar part. I saw the 5:31 total time and thought "Oh, no..." but it passed fairly quickly... not bad. Some spacy noises after a while might have helped -- or hurt. I don't know. Mood is present -- always good.

The Anchors:
Right side is clipping -- screws up the whole sound. Watch your levels when recording. Kinda one dimensional -- like two of the others in this fight. But it holds my interest for 2:13.

This was a wierd fight; way small and almost homogeneous in the styles submitted. Booty stands out and so gets my vote, but the others are very much... not so bad.
Stubby Phillips
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Mr. Car wrote:Slugs. 1961-1967. Preferably with a hole in the top and a Wolfsburg Crest on the hood.
Talk about a slug -- put a 1972cc FI engine in that slug!
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

the booty C song was recorded with 1 mic into a soundblaster, so... that's why it sounds awesome.
Stubby Phillips
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

blue wrote:the booty C song was recorded with 1 mic into a soundblaster, so... that's why it sounds awesome.
No way... gotta be an outboard tube unit or a tube emulation plug-in...
you gotta spend money to sound that crappy/good! And nobody uses tape anymore... though I got a A3340S sittin' there since '95 beggin' me to hook it up. It's like an old dog that never gets taken outside to play...
Mr. Car
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Mr. Car »

Its interesting to see how, in light of VW retaining a sort of counter-culture brand identity, the songs contained in this fight all clocked in with a left of center disposition.

MOST LIKELY TO BE PICKED UP AS A SOUNDTRACK TO A VW COMMERCIAL
BOOTY- Nice ripe Detroit Rock sound. Strong vox and drums and everything crashes in behind them just right. Mixed very clean for all that's going into it at those volumes. It speaks of youth and precision german engineering.

MOST LIKELY TO BE PLAYED IN A DORM ROOM AT 2 AM
SPENCE- 'The Smokes have all been smoken'. Nice slacker rock. For them who realizes a song over five minutes ain't gonna kill ya. You get the build up at the 3 1/2 minute mark. It's a mood thing. I can get behind that.

MOST LIKELY TO HAVE MARK E. SMITH'S AGENT CALL YOU OUT LIKE HE DID PAVEMENT
ANCHORS- Damn I love The Fall. And everything about this tune, right down to the bass runs, just drips of them. This will probably get my vote on merit of it's own making though, because it's got me staying curiously interested and actively listening thru to the end. Nice performance.

MOST LIKELY TO REPEL SATAN'S MINIONS
TUTLEBOY- A last minute, Tuesday nite bundle of scratch tracks. Doubling the verse lyrics- major demerits. Outro chorus needs nuts and bolts.
The Anchors
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by The Anchors »

Booty Chesterfield Trio
The cowbell starts off the song great. I love the garage sound but I have to agree with j$ that some more Iggy-style vocals would benefit the song. The cowbell and guitar at 1:30 rules. Great length, and catchy.

Spencer Schoening
Usually a I don't take much note of really long songs in the fights but considering the size of this fight I'll give it a serious listen. I have a folder in my media player labeled "Music to sleep to". This wold fit in there perfectly. The part at 3:30 is great and adds a lot to the song. All in all it does what it does fairly well but it's not my favorite.

Turtleboy
Right from the beginning I don't really like the vocals. It feels like this song only has one foot in the "weird and interesting song department", almost like you're unsure if you want to go all the way. If you're going to be fucking weird, go all the way.

The Booty Chesterfield Trio is my favorite and I'm unexpectedly finding myself liking spencers song.
The Anchors
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by The Anchors »

Mr. Car wrote:Damn I love The Fall. And everything about this tune, right down to the bass runs, just drips of them.
That's funny because I've never really listened to them until you said that. I sound disturbingly similar to them. I'm definitely going to have to download some stuff by them.
Mr. Car
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Mr. Car »

Re The Fall
You could never go wrong by owning 'This Nation's Saving Grace' and 'Wonderful and Frightening World of The Fall"...anything pre 1986.
The Anchors
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by The Anchors »

I'm going to be in a 5 hour car ride tomorrow so I'll be sure to download a ton of The Fall tonight.
PiGPEN
Push Comes to Shove

Post by PiGPEN »

Oi! Wheres mine?
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

VW - Reviews

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

This is my 5th review. I listened to each song twice yesterday, and again this morning while taking notes. I will listen many times again before voting next week. My first car was a beetle with 3 forward manual gears and no clutch!

Anchors - Hip enough for a commercial and as party slogan rock. Try that on purpose again! The guitars are fab, but the bass line...I love that! What is it doing?
Booty Chesterfield Three - I heard the chain drive and it was good. I hope that is not a headstock-push-as-tremolo-arm going on in there. Bring on the summer but don't put away that hookah just yet: Paco wants a turn!
Spencer Schoening - The atmoshere and mood here are wonderful. As a founding member of the Less Than Steady Voice Club, I'd love to hear the vocals done a bit better. However, they are an integral part of the aforementioned mood.
Turtleboy - Parts of this are both reassuring and creepy. Must be like sick love, I guess. I think that it loses a bit of its focus at the end.

I enjoyed all of these. Paco will vote by secret ballot after further listening and contemplating. Donkey.
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
jseavers05
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Recording Method: Sonar X3, FL Studio, Tascam US-1641, Art Pro MPA ii & VLA, M-Audio 88 Key, Monoprice 8" mntr

Post by jseavers05 »

Anchors - the way this song is mixed totally reminds me of my old computer in my old room recording music and stuff. its cool. the backwards guitar is the funk.

Booty - totally cool. i think cause it reminds me of like the mod kids from back in the day. totally the funk.

spencer - vocals are a bit slidey and reverbing like mega, but the song is really cool. need to bring out the drums a little more. theyre really faint. but the solo is the funk.

turtleboy - this song isnt bad, but its just not grabbing me right now. a little crazy with the witchdoctor beat in the background. but yours was definately full of the funk.

turtleboy brought the funk but booty got the vote.
PiGPEN
Push Comes to Shove

Post by PiGPEN »

Teh, i donno why i didnt get in i thought i sent out on time.

Heres mine... http://www.googumproduce.com/music/vw.mp3
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

PiGPEN: post it to the QC forum. more likely to be noticed by fightmasters there