Hey, baby... I'm on Song Fight... (Big Success reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Stubby Phillips
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Hey, baby... I'm on Song Fight... (Big Success reviews)

Post by Stubby Phillips »

8)
Enter a song? Review songs!
jseavers05
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Recording Method: Sonar X3, FL Studio, Tascam US-1641, Art Pro MPA ii & VLA, M-Audio 88 Key, Monoprice 8" mntr

Post by jseavers05 »

update
jseavers05
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Recording Method: Sonar X3, FL Studio, Tascam US-1641, Art Pro MPA ii & VLA, M-Audio 88 Key, Monoprice 8" mntr

Post by jseavers05 »

update...
catch
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by catch »

Chill, Holmes.
jseavers05
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by jseavers05 »

you not my mamma.
Kweep
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Kweep »

your mom says "chill, holmes"?
"You’re a little like heroin..." - Smalltown Mike
catch
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by catch »

His mom's pretty fly.
jseavers05
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by jseavers05 »

haha, so i was trying to log on the message board and some message about "die showed up too many times" popped up. i have no clue as to what it meant. it was amazing. i thought that the site may be in the process of an update. sadly it wasnt updated, but i was excited to see like 2 more posts in this section of the discussions.
catch
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by catch »

Yeah, that happened to me, too. But when I was clicking the link to Rone's profile, so it was extra creepy.
jseavers05
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by jseavers05 »

maybe that just happens to everyone who has 132 posts
fodroy
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: none
Recording Method: ears
Submitting as: praise muzak

Post by fodroy »

it also, apparently, happens when you have 920 posts.
Kweep
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Kweep »

same happened to m'self... i just figgered the site was gettin hacked by "oust the mods" :D
catch
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by catch »

jseavers05 wrote:maybe that just happens to everyone who has 132 posts
If you're lookin' for a posting arms race, you got it!

- - -

What did you use for that string-y sound in Big Success? Papa like.
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

catch wrote:Yeah, that happened to me, too. But when I was clicking the link to Rone's profile, so it was extra creepy.
That's pretty creepy in itself.
Kweep
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Kweep »

astrolamb - pretty cool sounds... tune not doin' much for me over all, though.

bmfc - ouch...

chinmusic - very cool riff. pretty funny story... i likee. hah... excrecia.

3d - ok i guess... i dig the whistling, humming, etc. i'm thinkin' ya might wanna explore the possibilities of equalization on the vocal tracks.

jordan seavers - great sounds. vox a smidge burried but sounds cool. very nice tune.

melvin - cool tune and good builds/variation.

paco - very excellent guitar tones and playin'! awesome vibe! i'm really diggin' this a lot!

relatives - too noodley for my tastes. "... find a job that doesn't make me wanna kill myself ". good luck with that... :)

tex - cool breathy groove thingy. rest not doin' much for me... cool synth tones.

thornberry - good sounds. too whiney and arythmic for me.

wreckdom - sweet! great lyrics. that cuttin' off the last word thing makes me cra...

yet another one - nice low fi vibe... soooo skurry (scary)... a bridge/chorus/change of any kind would be nice.

well, i think paco's gonna get my vote. great tune.
jseavers05
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by jseavers05 »

Astrolamb - good song. very alternative sounding. i dont have anything original to say about this. its not totally grabbing my attention. but still not too bad.

Big Mountain Fudge Cake - nope

ChinMusic - very cool guitar and the slide sounds awesome with the song. good story and all but it seems more like a story with background music rather than a song. anyways, its cool, but i would like it much more if you could incorportate some singing or melody into the song.

Dublin Duck Dispensary - fun lo-fi sound. its hard to understand the lyrics. overall the song is pretty good. reminds me of super old recordings i did

Jordan Seavers - i need to work on mixing and production some more but i ran out of time.

Melvin - the chorus is super cool on this song. the 6 beats per measure is a good change up in the playlist. very creative and its a successful attempt at changing stuff up from your other songs. awesome like usual and great job. sweet!

Pacodelstinko - haha, what the heck... this is awesome.

The Special Relatives - the guitars and bass are totally cool, but the lyrics kinda suck.

Tex Beaumont & The Dirty Hearts - pretty boring till like 1:33. well, its still boring after that, but i guess the drums help out a little bit. it needs a change up. the songs not grabbing me.

Thornberry - this song is pretty cool. it needs a change of chord progression or something.

WreckdoM - this reminds me of walmart.

Yet Another One - not diggin the song so much.
catch
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by catch »

Yours is real good, Jordan. Now answer my question about the string sound!
jseavers05
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by jseavers05 »

the string stuff was really tricky. i actually started out trying to play my sisters violin, but it didnt sound too good. so i ended up tinkering with a string sound. like 900 seconds later, i kinda started figuring stuff out and was sorta happy with the sound. i used FL studio if thats what you were asking. sadly, i couldnt hire an orchestra for my songfight.
catch
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by catch »

I think it sounds good.

Are you using any particular plugin?
jseavers05
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by jseavers05 »

nope... just the basic stuff that came with FL
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Big Success - reviews

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

I listened to these songs once each Mon. and Tue., twice each today. Great stuff in there. Many more listens before voting.

Astrolamb - Good thumb hooked in pocket hanging on the street corner stew. Might benefit from an extra shake of pepper.
Big Mountain - Vocals don't sound sincere: forced. I like the pegged VU meter guitar sound.
Chin Music - Nice and warm. Makes me want to pet a dog while I sit in a rocker watching the sun go down.
DDD - I like what this wants to be. Yeah, I know it is what it is, but I see it as a good scratch pad.
Jordan Seavers - Great and pleasant production, melody, arrangement. I too like the strings, but I'm unsure about them for some reason although I have no idea what might be better. (Is that English that I just wrote?)
Melvin - Something about summer and something about Scotland. I dunno what they are, but they are catchy. Catchy-catchy-coo!
Paco - My second Songfight entry.
Special Relatives - Somehow. focusing the vocals would make this more spacey. I want to enjoy the bong-hit vibe, but I'm a wee bit distracted.
Tex Beaumont - I am glad that you let it breathe at points although the sounds are all pleasant and light. This could be playing on your way from a good job interview.
Thornberry - Intense and passionate, maybe a one time lite bit in the middle would've made the heavy heavier. I do think that I understand this approach though.
WreckdoM - What appears to be a loosey-goosey woozefest turns deadly serious. After the application of talcum powder. But of course!
Yet Another One - Rain glistened streets...slo-mo visions...cruising for your next victim...*gulp*...Not ME! NO! NO!. I do like lt although I don't know what it's about.

Great and varied fight! I can not vote for myself as I don't think that I entered the best song. Paco will, however, vote by secret ballot later in the week. Seizure later!
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
astrolamb
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Guitar, keys, computer generated bleep blops
Recording Method: Stuff -> Motu M4 -> Reaper ->Your Ears
Submitting as: Astrolamb
Pronouns: he/him

my thoughts . . .

Post by astrolamb »

Astrolamb: Er - not commenting on my own song. Did feel good to finally enter another one of these though. $1 if you vote for me (you have to come pick it up in Pittsburgh though).

Tex Beaumont & The Dirty Hearts: This is well done, I am just not digging the body noises and such, personally. I like the little bits and pieces of instrumentation, though. And the radio-voice outro . . . it's an old trick and I always enjoy it.

Yet Another One: It's too monotone for me. Just feels like it drags along . . . the voice doesn't work well - it's not a scary voice and whispering and speaking slowly doesn't fix that.

WreckdoM: Usually a song will promise to be good, and then turn out to suck. With the intro and the bad accent your song promised to suck, then turned out to be kinda cool. Kudos just for that.

The Special Relatives: Nice low-key bit. Would make a nice background piece for a movie . . . the album title is Eh-Double-You-Eee AWESOME. I guess I just don't hear the song happening here, like it needs to get started at some point and never does.

Melvin: Yeah pop music! This is well done - good stuff. Good mix, nice vocals, cool little synth line . . . nice change up from verse to chorus. A little too radio-friendly for my tastes, but definitely the best so far.

Dublin Duck Dispensary: Are you humming the lead part in the intro? Stop that! A lot of the things here need to be turned down - it sounds like they were recorded quietly and then bumped up to accomodate that . . . the vocals don't sync up quite.

BMFC: Terrible. But I suppose that's what you intended.

Thornberry: Nice. The vocal delivery works well for this song. The guitar bit is well concieved - supports the vocals and never takes over but still remains interesting.

Paco Del Stinko: At first I intended to complain about the lack of 'attitude' in the intro guitar bit, but now I see that you never intended it to be that serious and I just misinterpreted what you were trying to do. It's well done, but it is far too happy jangly synthy for me.

Jordan Seavers: This reminds me of something that I can't put my finger on. It's very neutral - like a white room. Some of the synth sounds are good, I'm not fond of the fake string bit throughout.

ChinMusic: Very well done. Nice backing track. This would become instantaneously much better given a chord where you actually sang a bit. Make it into a song instead of spoken word. That said, it's very enjoyable. The story is funny, and the little backing vox bits are good too. Add a chorus and it's the best song here.

That's it - I'm voting for Thornberry.
- Robert