I'm Ready for the Make-up Sex (Am I Forgiven Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff
Pronouns: he/him

I'm Ready for the Make-up Sex (Am I Forgiven Reviews)

Post by ken »

let's get it on
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
Kweep
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Kweep »

balance - excellent sounds. for some reason, doesn't sound quite cohesive... pretty cool, though.

lmnop - awesome... this is really well done.

milk+ - nice. what a great mellow vibe. excellent melody and progression. again... nice!

ned p. orch - fuck yeah. damn, this is a kick ass tune. great sounds and performances.

phunt4 - cool sounds. the overdriving/distortion really distracts.

ross durand - good production. the timing/rythmic stuff is a little distracting and that's too bad cause the lyrics are pretty poignant.

steve durand - great sounds... very cool tune.

wow... very hard call between lmnop, milk+, and the ned p. orch.
"You’re a little like heroin..." - Smalltown Mike
Milk +
A New Player

Post by Milk + »

Class lmnop....!!!!

You get my vote!
Ross
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Vox, Bass, Tuned glasses, etc...
Recording Method: Logic on a Macbook.
Submitting as: Ross Durand

so far

Post by Ross »

I've just listened once - reviews to come - but this is a solid little fight. I had thought, "Oh, a small one. Perhaps I can be a contender." Small but deadly is what I say.

Proud to be here.

Ross
"I don't like this song, but at least it's good." - veGetar Ianra Ge
http://www.rossdurandmusic.com
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Hey Steve, listening on crappy speakers, there are parts of the trumpet melody that remind me of Miles Davis' 'Sketches of Spain', on of my favourite albums. Not suggesting an influence, or that you're in any way channelling the mighty Miles, but nice tone!

I am voting for LMNOP, because it tickles my cheesy bone in the same way as previous songfight classics such as Doscientos' Thanks For Coming and Elysian Ring's On My Block.
Stubby Phillips
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Stubby Phillips »

MC Milk+:
+ Good chord/key changes
+ good production & performance
+ pretty tight overall
+ pretty cool. It seems my genre bias should have kicked in, but it didn't.
Reminds me of '70s/'80s R&B/pop (Commodores?). What genre would this fall into nowdays?

The Ned Plimpton Orchestra:
+ Nice ElvisC-ish vibe
+ great performance all around
- only thing I would change is bring the main vox up and lose or shorten the break/mellow part
+ very cool

LMNOP:
+ awesome
+ best BSQ song ever
+ clever
+ keeper

Ross Durand:
+ good sound and performance
+ best GnG type song I ever heard on SF, but it's not technically GnG (?)
+ can relate to the lyrics, but your attitude not hitting me right today...
+ like it

Phuntphastic Phour:
- keys screechy loud and levels vary wildly
- intro riff is from "Grey Matter" by Oingo Boingo.
+ cerebral lyric
+ layed out pretty good
- too 'chick' for me

Balance Lost:
- 'click' track
+/- rambling instrumental arrangement
+ interesting, but needs another part, I think
- drum machine too busy
+ some cool guitar-like sounds in there somewhere

Steve Durand:
+ good horn arrangement
- no vox
+ builds a mood
- same exact mood all the way through -- no evolution

Winner: LMNOP, with NPO and MCM tied for 2nd.
Enter a song? Review songs!
Steve Durand
Panama
Instruments: trumpet, trombone, sax, clarinet, flute, keyboards, banjo, guitar, bass, ukulele
Recording Method: SONAR 6, Dell Inspiron E1705, Edirol UA-25, Studio Projects B-1 Mic
Submitting as: Steve Durand, Elastic Waste Band

Post by Steve Durand »

Wow! Quality over quantity in this fight. Good stuff.
j$ wrote:Hey Steve, listening on crappy speakers, there are parts of the trumpet melody that remind me of Miles Davis' 'Sketches of Spain', on of my favourite albums. Not suggesting an influence, or that you're in any way channelling the mighty Miles, but nice tone!
Surprisingly (for a trumpet player) I have not listened to much Miles Davis. I think I will need to expand my CD collection. I'm flattered by the comparison.

Thanks,

Steve
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture" -Unknown
"Seems to me this is the point of Songfight" - Max The Cat
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Ned Plimpton, you remind me of a cross between Faith No More (like when they covered Easy) and Squeeze (or Ben Folds Five) in this fight. Really good song.
jseavers05
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Recording Method: Sonar X3, FL Studio, Tascam US-1641, Art Pro MPA ii & VLA, M-Audio 88 Key, Monoprice 8" mntr

Post by jseavers05 »

thanks for making me jealous Balance Lost. 34yhfds votes for you guys. awesome stuff
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Am I Forgiven? - Reviews

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

I thought that this fight was brutal. Heavy-weight. I listened to each song once each on Mon. and Tuesday, twice today. I'll vote after more listens later in the week.

Balance Lost/Regained - This one sounds the most 'church-like' of the lot. Could afford to have a corner smoothed out here and there, but good song.
LMNOP - A delight and I thank you for sharing it! The only thing wrong here is pickin' on the Duke! C'mon, ... Amtrak?
MC Milk + - Perfect gush-love. Contempo flavors w/ rose petals and a great arrangement.
Ned Plimpton Orch. - Great song, progressions, playing. Maybe an individual vocal line could come up in the mix here and there, but nicely done.
Phuntastic Phour - Despite occasional flutterings and wavers, an orange-yellow ray of light pierces my eye and enlightens me.
Ross Durand - This could afford to settle in on itself but it is super: lyrics, arrangement. Good lean percussion.
Steve Durand - I love this.

Impressive battle with intimidating talent. Paco will vote by secret ballot later this week. Chow!
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

LMNOP and Steve Durand, you made my day!

BL/BR- the "rambly" comments are on the money. so close to awesome! please try again.
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, programming
Recording Method: Cubase, Reason
Submitting as: Balance Lost

Post by furrypedro »

Ross Durand: This was really not inspiring me at first, but it seems to reach it's stride about 1/3 in. There's some nice percussion, backing vocals and guitar flourishes that really add to the flow. I don't love it, but it's pretty good

Ned Plimpton Orchestra: Damn, this sounds really well recorded. Do you get many Ben Folds comparisons? Good arrangement, song and performance. I quite like the bouncey indie action but it's not the sort of thing that gets me really excited. It's a perfect slice of pop though

The Phuntastic Phlaps: it's like Slint or Native Nod doing phinal phantasy music. yeah, this is kinda cool. I sometimes wonder what this kind of stuff would sound like if it was really glossily produced. hmmmm...

lmnop: I wish you'd said "pie" there. thanks for apologising for cancer. I think I'll be voting for this

Milk+: This ain't bad for a rude-boy rap ballad, there's some pretty cool rhymes in there. I like the electric piano and pad sounds and it's all put together pretty nicely. This doesn't feel as inventive as some of your previous tracks though (most of which I missed first time round, but having gone back for another listen 'If I were Italian' and 'Peppermint Patty' are both keepers) and it's a bit cheesy in places, but I guess that's what you were going for, and at least it's more "dry your eyes" than Blazin squad. Good to hear more british fighters too. reprezent!

Balance Lost: the sound of melvin being thrown against a wall. I think this is damn cool and want to do it again sometime. The track definitely sounded more well formed before I injected a few bars for the sake of variety, so yeah, right idea but in retrospect we can probably pull it off better. to the studio!

Steve Durand: I dunno why, but I felt like this wasn't going to be up to much when I clicked play on this track, and then as soon as the trumpet came in I completely forgot I thought that. Even listening to it now I really like those opening chords on the guitar, and the refrain on the trumpet sounds so simple and yet full of melancholy. The doubling up of muted and un-muted sounds really good, like it lends a Sergio Leone feel to it; I hope that's what you were going for. In fact I think I'll file this one next to Ross Durand's "El Balazo"

short and sweet, this fight. There seems to be a lot of that going around. The percentage of good songs in recent fights is a bit worrying really (in a good way)
Dan-O from Five-O
Panama
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Drums, Mandolin all graded on a sliding scale
Recording Method: Mixer to a Fostex D-160

Post by Dan-O from Five-O »

Balance Lost / Balance Regained: The beginning had me looking for shorts in my speakers. As annoying as that was you still get points for it. Dickhead. Just when I wanted more percussion going, it comes in., electronic, but it’s there and a tad too busy. Good vocals and harmonies, but I’m having a hard time finding the connection to the title, unless it was previously written for something called “Pray for Peaceâ€
jb wrote:Dan-O has a point.
JB
Mogosagatai
Mean Street

Post by Mogosagatai »

Dan-O from Five-O wrote:
Phuntphastic Phour:
you guys
as usual
The band name has phunt in it, the entry is midi, there's spoken word and it's painful to listen to at times, so I could see where you get off assuming it's the same people. But I wanted to point out that the Phuntastic Phour are an example of Phunt sans Mogosagatai and Egg. The "as usual" tone of some comments made me feel like it's useful to say something. I think maybe Mogosagatai helped mix their last entry, but this is one of those offshoots taking the spirit of Phunt in their own directions.

PS: I thought Dan-O left.
PPS: Egg posted this, but was accidentally logged in under Mogosagatai's account.
Dan-O from Five-O
Panama

Mogosagatai wrote:Cry, bitch, moan. Dan-O hates this "song".Whaaah!!!!!
What are you gonna do? Cry? C'mon.....cry for me you little baby. If you want to lessen the confusion over who's playing on the song, perhaps avoiding the use of the word "Phunt" in the band name would help. Pass that along to your little piss ant friends.
Mogosagatai wrote:PS: I thought Dan-O left.
I changed my mind and have decided to stick around for the sole purpose of making your life miserable you talentlless fucking hack.
Mogosagatai wrote:PPS: Egg posted this, but was accidentally logged in under Mogosagatai's account.
Translated as I don't want to accept responsibility for my own actions, so I'm going to blame someone else. Someday, a long time from now, when you turn 18, you'll have have to take ownership of the things that you do and say. Hopeflully your mommy and daddy will teach you that.
JB
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

just remember to read dan-o's comments while imagining his avatar saying them.
Hi!
Mogosagatai
Mean Street

Post by Mogosagatai »

Holy shit, Dan-O.

Egg (yeah, that was Egg) was just <i>clarifying</i> that the Phuntastic Phour song wasn't made by me or him. Your assholic comments were completely unsolicited. Did you even read what he said?

Anyway... I'm really glad that the word "phunt" is being used by people other than myself and Egg. After all, we didn't make it up just for ourselves. I hope more people use it.
Egg
Mean Street
Instruments: whistles and egg shakers
Recording Method: Cakewalk, Cubase, Audacity, Garageband
Submitting as: Phunt Your Friends

Post by Egg »

whoa. Hah. Uhm, okay. So I posted something while logged in as Mogosagatai. Oops. Also, I didn't say anything about Dan-O's review being inaccurate. Weird stuff on these boards.
glug glug glug egg makes wine. You can make wine too.
Dan-O from Five-O
Panama

Mogosagatai wrote:Holy shit, Dan-O.

Egg (yeah, that was Egg) was just <i>clarifying</i> that the Phuntastic Phour song wasn't made by me or him. Your assholic comments were completely unsolicited. Did you even read what he said?
Do you really expect me or anyone else to believe this P.O.S. wasn't composed by you, Egg, or any one of the endless stream of talentless hack friends you all hang with? Who the Phunt cares who it was made by? It's garbage. So now you want to say it's garbage made by people imitating your garbage defended by people logging in mistakenly under the wrong name.

What the PHUNT ever.

Asswipes.
JB
TheNedPlimptonOrchestra
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by TheNedPlimptonOrchestra »

granted, this is none of my business, but i come here for feedback that will be beneficial to my craft. i dont come here to listen to what appears to be 14 year old bickering over who's dick is bigger.

'Do you really expect me or anyone else to believe this P.O.S. wasn't composed by you, Egg, or any one of the endless stream of talentless hack friends you all hang with? Who the Phunt cares who it was made by? It's garbage. So now you want to say it's garbage made by people imitating your garbage defended by people logging in mistakenly under the wrong name. '

'What are you gonna do? Cry? C'mon.....cry for me you little baby. If you want to lessen the confusion over who's playing on the song, perhaps avoiding the use of the word "Phunt" in the band name would help. Pass that along to your little piss ant friends.'

'Translated as I don't want to accept responsibility for my own actions, so I'm going to blame someone else. Someday, a long time from now, when you turn 18, you'll have have to take ownership of the things that you do and say. Hopeflully your mommy and daddy will teach you that.'

Where is there anything worth saying in any of these posts? How does it hurt you that you take it so personally that these people produce music you dub as 'garbage'? Please let it go, with all due respect, YOU sound like the child here.
LMNOP
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by LMNOP »

I just got back from a week away, so I’d like to thank everyone who didn’t enter this fight – I really didn’t feel like paying attention to 20 songs. As for the rest of you, I’ll try to avoid letting my fatigue turn to surliness.

Balance – Okay, I’ve listened to this like four times now and it’s driving me nuts. I want to either like it more or like it less but, here I am, stuck on the fence. Good stuff: I like parts of the arrangement including the opening and the drums. Bad stuff: the “Aâ€
Ross
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Vox, Bass, Tuned glasses, etc...
Recording Method: Logic on a Macbook.
Submitting as: Ross Durand

RE:Reviews

Post by Ross »

Well, sorry not to have gotten detailed reviews together yet. It's still on my to-do list.

Anyway thanks to all the reviewers and the kind comments. I thought I'd respond to a couple of remarks from Dan-O and LMNOP

Dan-O: The lyrics were not inspired by the religion thread (which I wasn't even aware of) just of a long line of personal thought about the question of who gets into heaven, seems like the standard view is that atheists don't, even if they're great people, because you have to accept Jesus as your personal savior, etc...but a mass murderer who repents on death row does go to heaven. anyway, that view bugs me.
As far as LMNOP's comment that I have two themes in my song, that's just because I couldn't get the right last verse to succesfully glue the song together. Steve (my bro) can even tell you that before I submittted I was concerned it didn't lyrically hold together as well as I would have liked and it is just the issue you identified that I was concerned about. I consider the song to be strongly about theme 1.

Oh, and my vote went to LMNOP. Great song well executed.
"I don't like this song, but at least it's good." - veGetar Ianra Ge
http://www.rossdurandmusic.com