Knocked up at 90 (Late for Babies reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Knocked up at 90 (Late for Babies reviews)

Post by Niveous »

Did you know that in 2005 Adriana Iliescu, a Romanian woman, gave birth at age 66?! That's very late for having babies. Any later and they would both be wearing diapers.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Mostess
Panama
Instruments: Vocal, guitar, keyboard, clarinet
Recording Method: Ardour 5, JACK, Ubuntu
Submitting as: Hostess Mostess
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Mostess »

By the way, anyone who hasn't heard <A HREF="http://www.musicabona.com/part/11788/cd ... l.en">Arvo Part's "Sarah was Nintey Years Old"</A>, get thee to a listening booth. (hint: patience is a virtue)
"We don’t write songs about our own largely dull lives. We mostly rely on the time-tested gimmick of making shit up."
-John Linnell
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, aging iMac
Submitting as: frankie big face

Post by frankie big face »

Mostess wrote:By the way, anyone who hasn't heard <A HREF="http://www.musicabona.com/part/11788/cd ... l.en">Arvo Part's "Sarah was Nintey Years Old"</A>, get thee to a listening booth. (hint: patience is a virtue)
Aahhh....Arvo Part. The pride of Estonia. I don't know the piece, but I'll look for it on your recommendation, my good friend.
Guest.
A New Player

Post by Guest. »

babessss,,,

sh
Reist
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Drums, Guitar
Recording Method: Yamaha AW1600, Reaper
Submitting as: Therman

Post by Reist »

I haven't listened to many, but JTrain's is wicked. Great job dude.
<3
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by <3 »

I did not enter this week! The person claiming to be <3 is not me!

She does have a very nice voice though!

(And edit! Thank you whoever fixed the name of this other band! Hopefully it will not be too confusing to have both <3 and Less Than Three! ^_^)
Love, <3
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Re: Knocked up at 90 (Late for Babies reviews)

Post by fluffy »

Niveous Devilchild wrote:Did you know that in 2005 Adriana Iliescu, a Romanian woman, gave birth at age 66?! That's very late for having babies. Any later and they would both be wearing diapers.
Aw crap, that reminded me that I was supposed to call my grandma this week to make sure she was doing okay amidst the heat wave and my parents being out of the country. I am so horrible.
Treachjuris
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: piano, guitar (acoustic/lectrc), violin (acoustic/lectrc) clarinet; whatever generates sound
Recording Method: ibanez, rhodes, tascam, m-audio, darla, cubase, magix, noteworthy, mixcraft
Submitting as: Fish Sausage, Scrotean Hydra, Yummy Bug

Post by Treachjuris »

*post-script – I won’t vote ‘til the end if more people would post lyrics, I’ll sure listen more.

30 Hour Drunk
You know, for what it is, it’s good. Nice tremolo there. Nice range. Lovely little story. Totally creepy. Wish you’d have posted lyrics.

Daddy Bop
Lead vocals a little too out front, love the bgvs – great mix – this track should have been on one of Thomas Dolby’s GOOD albums. Nice. Comfortable. Sorry I missed your song in last week's playlist.

@eclectic sp00ns
Vocals off-rhythm a lot, throwin’ me off quite a bit. But your track is tight otherwise, and I really enjoy the lyrics. I mean, really, your selection of electro-noises really works. Very impressive.

Welp, you didn’t rock my titties off as promised, but it’s an interesting tune, nonetheless. I like the deep bass, could do without the distortion/guitar riffs. That’s just me. Nice for a rock tune, though, I suppose. Copious amounts of profanity – w00t! erg….FF

J-Train
Oooh…nice lil house tune. Love the female vox. Dig the Erasure-esque vocoding. Heh. Get your pjs on? Hee hee.

Less Than Three
Girl and guitar – refreshing! Nice folk tune. Vox a little off during the chorus.

Mr. Man and Dr. Funk
Nice….strings overwhelm the rest of the mix when they come in; wait – second verse – is that a white guy who transposed his voice? Heheh. Nice use of buzz bass. Good, even flow. Way to rock it. WTF re: ending?

Paco del Stinko
Ack! Cannibals! But, due credit, your vocals are completely in tune. Very nice. Lovely guitar work. They Might Be Giants ought to watch their backs.

Special Relatives
Out-of-tune autoharp? Oh – a ukulele. Foot fetishists. Gotta love ‘em.

Stims
Oh – this has got to be one of the sweetest guy/guitar tunes ever. Perhaps a winner.

Stucco Lobster Breadbox
Nice use of toy xylophone. Spoken word. From a woman’s perspective. No.

SuperSteveMcrsidodoy
Doo-doo caa-caa indeed. Learn to beat-box.

Winters Apart
Muddy vocals. Learn to produce, biotches. Lovely lyrics, however. Oh, nice tinkly piano. Wait, strings, leading into something…a duet? Huh. I actually like this. Aside from the production quality. For a five minute tune, I did not fast forward, actually. Heckuva feat. Yes, I’m cranky, it’s late for me, baby. Beautiful chorus.

*will have another go at this later. Good job everyone, and good luck on this week’s entries.

In the running:
J-Train, Stims, Dr. Funk et al, Winters Apart, Daddy Bob, Fp00ns.
"Electro-Mindscaping Nightmare music, gets me up and leaves me begging for more" ---sp00n
"If I were a rift in time right now, I would totally have a crush on this song" --- EightLeggedOedipus's friend INTOXICATED
jeffhenderson
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by jeffhenderson »

woah.

Normally the majority of songs in a fight are just a guy and a guitar.

This time the majority consist of a guy and samples.

Good job Mr. Man & Dr. Funk. Congratulations on becoming black, Jordan.
Nigel (spOOn) Clements
Mean Street
Instruments: None... But I use Reason 3.0, an iAxe 624 and an old beaten up acoustic, and sometimes I hit things.
Recording Method: Reason 3.0, Magix Audio Studio 11 Deluxe, Samson C01U USB Studio Condenser Microphone.
Submitting as: Nigel Clements, Accessory Twelve, @eclectic spOOns, Cynthia Size

Post by Nigel (spOOn) Clements »

Guest: I love the way this bounces all over the place, loads of energy, genre clashing yet really clean and extremely well mixed, the baby noises are acutely spooky, the only thing I don't like is your avatar :lol:
EIGHT out of TEN

Super Steve: Good idea that gets very annoying after a short while, if this stopped around 1:25 then it could be passed off as an end of CD bonus track et al Blink 182... program some drums, replace the doo doo ka's with some oooh wheee's and its a load better.
FIVE out of TEN

Stims: A nice story lyric, gentle melody and those shakers are a timely interruption, there is something about the refrain that nags at me as something i've heard before, but all round nice and smooth, good job.
SIX AND A HALF out of TEN

30 Hour Drunk: Very similar in style to the Stims (see above), but lacking most of what made that track cool, the high vocal really grates and this is crying out for some variation to help carry the story.
FIVE out of TEN

Daddy Bop: This sounds like Those Meddling Kids let loose with a brand new copy of reason 3.0, excellent use of effects, i could really learn a lot from you... (I'm not refuting your instrumental skills by the way :) )
SEVEN out of TEN

Paco Del Sinko: I strongly considered the whole eating babies take myself, but reckoned it would sound far too cartoonish if i went that way, but you guys nailed it.... again!! maybe a little too throwaway to be a real long term contender, and maybe not your best, but still very accessable, jogs along quite happily with itself.
SEVEN out of TEN

Breadbox: I'm loving the toy piano, and I can't really say much else because it just basically repeats, but in this case not in an annoying way, simple and oh so effective.

Less Than Three: Quite a humourous lyric, with everso slightly off-key delivery makes this a potent and potential goofball hit. good job.
SEVEN out of TEN

Special Relatives: Easier and less chaotic than previous entries, but I still reckon the lead vocal should assert itself more, the Banjo (?) tends to dominate, maybe throw in a gentle hi-hat as well... good but not outstanding.
SIX out of TEN

J-Train: Cure/Banshees intro goes into eighties electro-pop, good use of instrumental effects and the female vox is way cool, this has a generally cool vibe but i just wish that intro had led somewhere else.
NINE out of TEN for the intro

Man and Funk: Deep voice has a lovely flow (can I say lovely when describing Rap??) alt vox drops in and out almost perfectly, the deep growly bass-line is excellent and understated, and the vocal duelling is a welcome change... crap outro though!
SEVEN out of Ten

Winters Apart: Very mournful, nice piano keys (atmospheric al la The Exorcist) the female voice on this is simply beautiful, this could be almost perfect, maybe when the voices come together they are a touch off, but that is rather picky, a very beautiful tune.
SEVEN AND A HALF out of TEN
LukeU
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by LukeU »

My favorite was JTrain. Guest was also pretty rockin. Also, just wondering, where do these titles come from?
Dave - so dark...
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Dave - so dark... »

I think my fav for this fight is Guest. possibly because i am partial to distorted guitar riffs. Keep fighting, dude.

I also really liked winters apart, but wish it was mixed better. It sounds like you recorded your vocals from under a blanket. Maybe from inside the closet... the reverb only works when the microphone is in there too!

j-train and mr man and dr funk also get special mentions of greatness. oh! and the lobster breadbox for the toy piano, that sounded remarkably good in the mix, i would have thought it was synth if i couldn't hear you playing it.
I am a failure as a dave and as a human being!!
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs
Pronouns: he/him

Post by HeuristicsInc »

LukeU: The titles come from the shadowy and mysterious Deep Throat, and you should ask no further questions about the titles because Deep Throat does not appreciate people digging into Deep Throat's identity.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
LukeU
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by LukeU »

H.Inc: Maybe I shouldn't ask over this board, but do you think Mr. Mulder has some answers? Deep Throat does have a knack for spilling the dark secrets to him. If only I had his number...
Where is David Duchovny when you need him most???
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

shhh... just put an x with masking tape on your window and you may be contacted.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Guest.
A New Player

Post by Guest. »

30 hour drunk thats the shit I like that one. I like the sp00ns one too, and that JTrain thing is kinda pussy but I like it too everything except the lame "almost 8 inches baby" that's just stupid because anyone who talks so obvious about the size of some cock in a song is just so lame. babes. sh:
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

Guest! Nice job! Fun!

30 Hour Drunk! Creepy! Nicely recorded! As has been said, it really needs a chorus/bridge to give us some variation, and maybe some time to think about what the verses are sayin'! But I know the tradition you're coming from-- break new ground yo! Give us a singalong chorus and a bridge!
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
DELETED

Thanks for the comments!

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
Guest.
A New Player

Post by Guest. »

narcissists!

now now, i have heard that the noble thing to do is to show you fuckers some words brought forth of the silicon minion here that does my dirty work

30 hour drunk is some shit that i like because i like that acoustic instrument tone it's like something out of ben harper. Yeah yer voice sux but the instruments make me real happier.

Daddybop is like some teeny bopper shit that i'm not sure i can deal with. Seems a little lost in parts. and just when you started rockin me it got all pansy again.

the eclectic spoons sounds are damn cool and i really like the weirdness. i had to turn the bass up alot but that's ok because i like bass small, and large mouth.

I'm just a low iq motherfucker that could enjoy spending all day in front of the silicon minion, bending voices and screaming shit into a mic. so thats what i did. it's not my fault that i'm not smart. it's a little late for me. i do farm work and pee on chickens sometimes because that's what i call rompin'

i thought i liked JTrain but now i listened to it three times and the violin stuff is cool. I may be dumb but i'm not a dork. don't think you can rip off the beatles and cher in the same song. i know it's not nice to be a homophobe but this song makes me afraid of homosexuals.

if i liked little girls as much as i like to eat baby cows, then i might like less than three but i'm really not that nice. man, you guys need to work on this a little more. its like you sat down a did take one into the mp3 recorder. ha.

mr. man and dr. funk the best thing about this is the distortion and the pitch bent vocals but you did it to try and sound tough and instead we can all tell you are some dork nerds with thick glasses, pretending yer afro american. i stopped halfway thru at girlfriend. this would be like me trying to sing some opera music. sad.

paco del stinko, would have been that hard to just fart into the mic a little here and there with the beat? it would have made your vocals sound cooler. i normally pronounce mustid as "mustid" not "must turd". I like that though "must turd".

the special relatives made me happy a little bit. I felt like it was that day when we were cleaning the barn floor and the pigeons shit on my hand! on my hand! as i held the broom! and I laughed and it totally reminds me of this song.

stims is this the same singer as paco del stinko? you guys should collab more often! and fart into the mic more often too...but you might not wanna listen to my advice, because I like the sound of gas from the ass. It smells better than the pigs and the chicken coop too.

stucco lobsters and stuff that's a tickley sound there. I like that tickle of that little triangle. i like the lyrics, man it's killing me. this one is one of the best ones because of the lyrics and the triangle noises.

super steve you are missing a huge thing: distortion on the dooka doooka vocal. plus you sound like your about to laugh and that's sad. how am i supposed to take this seriously or not? neither i guess.

winters apart this is worlds apart from the rest of the stuff here. this is kicking some ass in a dark way. now why couldn't you bust out with some rage? the song is bending on rage and then just gets loose and slimy like a flaccid worm. it stiffens and then slacks but man i like it alot. this was really cool but was missing the rage that was a constant shadow to dark melody.

yeah bitch! i enjoyed being a guest of songfight and you are all rock hard!
beatlebrent
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by beatlebrent »

I think the funniest thing in the world is how mr. man and dr. funk who are whiter then bleached wonderbread on stale crackers can make a more entertaining crap... er... I mean rap song then the kids on song fight who are really trying to bust a legit rhyme, yo. What a hoot.
jeffhenderson
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by jeffhenderson »

I made the J-Train song this week because, nothing is cooler than making a euro-pop dance song about getting infants to stop partying because it's bedtime.

This is where I think I just need to clear up what the lyrics say:

It's getting late for babies
To party, so come on, get your PJs on
It's almost 8:00 and just maybe
It's time to stop this party till dawn

nowhere to I mention 8 inches. get your mind out of the gutter.