Eleven fights! (For the Time Being Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
mkilly
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar

Eleven fights! (For the Time Being Reviews)

Post by mkilly »

asdf
"It is really true what philosophy tells us, that life must be understood backwards. But with this, one forgets the second proposition, that it must be lived forwards." Søren Kierkegaard
Andy-O
A New Player

Back for More.

Post by Andy-O »

So it's been a while, but I had my choice of titles this week, so I figured it was time to take a shot. :wink:
http://www.myspace.com/andystunes
Kapitano
Push Comes to Shove
Recording Method: Reason, Reaper and Reused Reality.
Submitting as: Kapitano

Post by Kapitano »

Abominomious
Simple, fun, catchy. The drums are panned - presumably you just stuck a mic on either side of the kit - but everything else is centered, which feels odd.

Andre was Here at Midnight
Nice lofi guitar sound, but the playing is a bit too loose (off rhythm) for my liking - could have used another take. The cleanness of the drums doesn't quite 'go' with the grungyness of the guitar, though I like the drum pattern - especially the fingersnaps. Four minutes is a little long - 3:30 or 3 would be fine.

After all those criticisms, I did like overall sound, and the voice is expressive.

Andy-O
Pleasant guitar sound, and handclaps. The voice conveys emotion and you have a good sense of pitch, as well as a sense of when to be not-quite on pitch. The voice does sound muffled though.

The organ sound isn't such a success - too thin and mixed too loud. Get a fatter organ (so to speak) or play more complex chords.

The Creeping Foam
Been listening to Aphex Twin? There's a lot of good ideas in here, but they feel thrown together with nothing to unify them into one song. The rap is 'okay' - reminds me vaguely of Slick Rick (if you remember him with Doug E Fresh). "Like a heartbeat" and "I'll wait for you" I enjoyed individually, but they seem transplanted from some other song like a bad mashup.

Hostess Mostess
Ah! Completely unoriginal and very good. The guitar sounds and playing, clappy rhythm, chorused vocal with lilting melody. Well written, well performed, well produced, adventurous as a glass of water and...well, I enjoyed it.

Kanahele
I remember this kind of thing from the early 1980s - primative synth sounds, distorted spoken vocals with portentious lyrics, minimal melody. The kind of thing you either swim in the mood of, or never 'get'.

Kapitano
Me. A week of tweaking the guitar distortion, then three hours to record the vocals and mix the song. Needs more variation.

King Arthur
Same comments really as for Hostess Mostess. Except it's even more cliched instrumentally and lyrically, and I like it more.

The intertwined acoustic guitars and the bass sound very competently played and produced. The singing (though rather C&W for my taste) has a 'seasoned', well practiced quality - the sound of a good voice that's had a lot of work put into it, as opposed to a naturally great voice. Erm, that wasn't meant to sound like a insult. But my point is that the (lack of) production on the voice means sounds 'rough' next to the polished instrumental sounds. It could use a little (or a little more?) multitracking, compression and reverb.

Pace del Stinko
Same comments really as for Kanahele. Except it's even more 1981.

Pigpen
Whiny guitar on the right, cheesy keys on the left, and a stoned student mumbling in the middle.

The Seamus Collective
Are we still allowed to compare one entry a week to They Might Be Giants? Oh, alright then. Yeah, nicely played and sung, laidback and molodic. See Hostess Mostess again.

The Semolina Pilchards
Being slightly out of tune can be emotionally expressive. Being slightly more out of tune...can't. I'm sorry - everything about this recording is "almost, but not quite" for me. The (nicely multitracked) vocals almost escape from being flat in both senses, The smoothly overdriven guitar almost perks up interest in the second verse, the drums are almost real sounding, the layered chorus is almost the kind that gets stuck on a loop in the brain.

Apart from the stupid band name, there's a lot of promise here - it just hasn't quite arrived yet.

Tam Lin Music
Oh dear. If Hostess Mostesss, King Arthur, The Seamus collective, The Semolina Pilchards and Tam Lin Music were all in seperate fights, each one of their takes on this basic approach would make a standout song. Because they're all good, while making Huey Lewis and the News seem like like angry skatepunkers.

UDAHL
No one gets that sound just by having crappy recording equipment. So it's a Statement.

Wreckdom
At the end of some albums, there's a short, silly track that represents the band messing about, letting their hair down, and showing that they have a sense of humour. It's the track you're amused by the first time, then skip ever afterwards. And that's why Wreckdom goes at the end of the alphabetical list.

So there we have it. Too much good but ultimately dull AOR, some electronica from 25 years ago, I've probably made a few enemies and I have no idea who I'm going to vote for.
<a href="http://kapitano.me.uk/">Kapitano's Site of Musical Stuff (Under Construction)</a>
Andy-O
A New Player

reviews

Post by Andy-O »

I liked this little group of songs.

Abominominous – Liked the way this was recorded. Guitars come in and out nicely. The crescendo was stellar.

Andre – Enjoyed the guitars, then it seems things get repetitive. If you had only switched the verse progression up or something, just slightly, that might have made a lot of difference. Liked it though.

Creeping Foam – In the state I’m in right now, you really should include a warning for surround sound listeners. It’s a phaserindustrialrapfest. I’m really loving this.

Hostess – Your hand claps turned out much better than mine. (As well as your vocals, guitar, etc) Next Fighter.

Kanahele – Aloha. This is out of Halo or something. I feel like I should be locking and loading. Short and Nutrasweet.

Kapitano – Your background vox rocked my ass. Along with that lethal weapon you call a guitar.

Your Royal Highness – Well played. I’m goin with the flow. Ya dig?

Paco – Were you on the same Haunted Acid binge as Creeping Foam? Maybe not, but you sure ended up passed out in the same gutter. I like it.

Pigpen – Maybe it’s my shitty computer speakers, but I’m having trouble deciphering lyrics. Which is a shame. You can bob your head to this one.

Seamus & Co. – “If you think I’m just a heathen, well brother then we’re even.â€
PiGPEN
Push Comes to Shove

Post by PiGPEN »

Kapitano wrote: Pigpen
Whiny ORGAN on the right, cheesy keys on the left, and a SPASTIC UNEMPLOYED LOSER mumbling in the middle.
Fixd.
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Re: reviews

Post by j$ »

Andy-O wrote:My vote goes to Creeping Foam, I think.
Yay! Thanks. Even if you don't end up voting for us, thanks for saying so. Made my (rather bad) morning. Don't tell Erik.
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff
Pronouns: he/him

Post by ken »

Tam Lin Music was my favorite.
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

For The Time Being - Reviews

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

I liked this fight also - several tracks standing tall.

Abominominous - Much fun - good hooks, secret keys. I like the lyrics and concept. I also had the idea of the "Time Being' being a, uh, being, but not nearly as cool as this!

Andre Was Here At Midnight - Loose, it still maintains a good vibe. (why wouldn't it?) Good sections and changeups. I like your voice too.

Andy O - Loose but fun and easy going. Some good lines in there and your voice is pleasant. It all could be focused in more, but it's nice.

The Creeping Foam - Spacey and with an underwater vibe to it also. I like the lack of verse, chorus, verse - it keeps it feeling as though you caught it as it went by, or in the middle of some ongoing happening. I might prefer the voices up a teeny bit, but it's probably just me.

Hostess Mostess - Can't help but make Beatles references here. Nice progression, melodies. Good singing - this one seems tighter than a couple of ones of yours before this (going from S to !) Nice layering of vocs, guitars, clapping. All around, nice.

Kanahele - Big Brother. Nice and dark w/o being opressive. I like the main synth and the chords formed by whatever on the sides. Feels a bit incomplete at the end, maybe.

Kapitano - I really like the feel of this. Digital Ringo! The chorus goes right to my brain, near the stem. (this and Ringo are meant as positives) Loses a bit near the end but not so much that it hurts it overall.

King Arthur - Excellent. Great changes, the guitar patterns are super and played nicely. It's nice w/o drums - lets it breathe and gives it a bit of a soaring quality. Good lyrics. I like this a lot.

Paco - I like the silly verse about opening the present, and the voice going:"12?"

PiGPEN - I like this one very much also. It could benefit from some spiffin' up here and there, and the end could probably be whittled down some, but hey. The dead-pan vocal is working for me, at least here.

The Seamus Collective - Beatle battle with Hostess! Sweetly infectuous. This is one of those songs you almost bum out about when it ends. Great changes, vocals and effective layering. Very nice.

Semolina Pilchards - Nice. Good progressions and production. I like where the voice goes with hints of Robyn Hitchcock. Maybe too much focus on pitch? Kooky bridge I like more than don't. It might think about wandering at the end. I'm pretty sure I know who you are!

Tam Lin Music - Great progression and melodies. Smooth vocal delivery with such a nice voice. I like the 'modern' beats holding back instead of pushing up through what could be a 'traditional' type progression. Excellent, and cool to boot!

UDAHL - This song rocks, even if in a circle. Just as I was revving up for a horror show down the freeway, it ended.

WreckdoM - An airport lounge layover whilst ripped on cough syrup. I've never done that, seriously, but it might be like this.

Can't say I hated anything here. I'll vote for (not me) prior to the deadline. Thanks for the music!
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

Abominominous- This reminds me of the Exploding Hearts, that's good! Nice power pop punk tune! Short sweet, nice hook, nice riffs. I like the octave false-etto vox. This rocks!

Andre Was Here at Midnight- Miandering lead guitar is annoying.I'm not liking the rhythm guitar tone either. However, I am really enjoying the vocal performance. Falls apart at the chorus, and was loosely held together, anyway. I don't get it.

Andy O- Arhythmic clapping is annoying. Pretty descent song actually, I sure wish that clapping wasn't there. The organ is nice, acoustic passes. Tempo seems a bit slow for what the song is. Last verse wasn't necessary.

Creeping Foam- Cool noises, I wish they weren't sooo stereo, that harsh oscillation is disturbing. I liked it a lot better before the rap. The rap isn't bad, just seemed like a genre split. I was feeling the arty side of Love and Rockets then suddenly it's Gorrillaz or something. Not bad none the less.

Hostess Mostess- How much top 40 did you listen to in the 70's? This is great! Wonderful pop melodies and hooks, nice tones (rhythmic clapping). Actually maybe this is more Beatles, it's got the Nowhere Man "oooh la La la"s . This is a contender.

Kanahele- Cool soundtracky stuff. Nut much of a song, but I really enjoy listening to this track. Actually think it would've been stronger as an instrumental.

Kapitano- I love the tones! The song is OK, but that distorted piano? tone makes this track for me! What is that tone? I wish the melodies and riffs were a little more adventurous, but maybe they wouldn't be as cool. High cool factor in this tune.

King Arthur- Nice key changes! Good melody, I wish it kept building and drums kicked in somewhere along the way, but that's minor. This could stand to have a solo of some sort too. Good song!

Paco Del Stinko- Paco is not man, he is DEVO, D-E-V-O. I love this!! The "woah" solo is hilarious! This is an engaging wild ride! Favorite so far.

Pigpen- Nice recording, it's tough to get into the deadpan vocals in the wake of Paco's dynamic romp. Still this is pleasant to listen to, and kinda funny.

Seamus Collective-Uh oh, another contender. Love the hook! mixed and recorded fantastically! LOVE the acoustic solo! What instrument was that? Was that a guitar or something quirky from the Folk Music center? Anyway sounded great! Nice song!

Semolina Pilchards- This is me and Ken. I'm so pleased with us, because we spit this out in 3 hours. Ken's a great producer! I actually scribbled the lyrics while driving up to the session. We've been talking about doing a tune in 5, and I really like what we came up with. One of these days we'll spend a lot more time on a track.

Tamlin Music- Great Vocals! This is a very good song. Solid and tight! No complaints, but no wow factor, maybe a slight vocal wow.

UDAHL- Terrible recording. Awesome playing! Short sweet and rocking! That guitar solo makes it for me, I really have to crank it to enojy this, and then have to be sure to turn down as so not to get blasted by the next tune.

Wreckdom- This is cool! Is Wreckdom a Ween side project? Cool stuff!

So I really like Hostess Mostess, Paco Del Stinko, Seamus Collective and Semolina Pilchards (my entry) the most, but this was a surprisingly strong fight! I expected lot's of mediocre entries, but this Song Title at least holds up against any regular week. Good job everyone!
Last edited by glennny on Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ross
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Vox, Bass, Tuned glasses, etc...
Recording Method: Logic on a Macbook.
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Ross »

glennny wrote: Seamus Collective- LOVE the acoustic solo! What instrument was that? Was that a guitar or something quirky from the Folk Music center? Anyway sounded great!
It's appalachian dulcimer - and thanks, I'm glad you liked it. :D
"I don't like this song, but at least it's good." - veGetar Ianra Ge
http://www.rossdurandmusic.com
Kapitano
Push Comes to Shove
Recording Method: Reason, Reaper and Reused Reality.
Submitting as: Kapitano

Post by Kapitano »

glennny wrote: Kapitano- I love the tones! The song is OK, but that distorted piano? tone makes this track for me! What is that tone? I wish the melodies and riffs were a little more adventurous, but maybe they wouldn't be as cool. High cool factor in this tune.
Tone = vocal sound? Or guitar sound?

There's no piano in the song - it's all drums, bass guitar, rhythm guitar, lead guitar, my vocals and my electronically modified girly backing vocals.

I agree the riffs could use more variation, but I'm just starting to learn how to use the sequencing and modelling software. Oh yes, none of the instruments were played - it's all a physically modelled acoustic guitar, fed through physically modelled distortion pedal, amp, speaker and mic.

The song started as a ZZ Top ripoff, then mutated in a more skatepunky direction. Glad you think it's cool - hopefully my stuff will stay cool when I understand the technology better.
<a href="http://kapitano.me.uk/">Kapitano's Site of Musical Stuff (Under Construction)</a>
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

Tone = vocal sound? Or guitar sound?
I was talking about the guitar tone I guess. So that's an acoustic guitar distorted? It does a little lead line. Anyway, awesome!
UDAHL
A New Player

Post by UDAHL »

Kapitano - your chorus and bridge tones knock me out
Tam Lin Music - pretty spanky but the cheezy strings fart it up
Semolina Pilchards - coming of age in the grand canyon
King Arthur - james taylor right?
Kanahele - baccardi & fortified water in a black bottle
Paco del Stinko - son of thing fish
WreckdoM - itchy in Trinidad
The Seamus Collective - almost there so work on scales a bit
Andy O - singing into a bucket can be fun
Abominominous - GOD bless you ted nugent
UDAHL - burning tin foil
Andre Was Here at Midnight - starts kinda cool, ends kinda late
Hostess Mostess - this is so super good
PiGPEN - you could make a pretty cool tune outta the choppy bit @ 3:09
The Creeping foam - look ma, the pet shop boys signed my bong
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

semolina - the pitchiness of the vocals is made more noticable by the intervals between notes. i don't think it needs to be so obvious, try singing a different melody. i do like the music, especially the guitars.

kanahele - nice atmosphere. i like how the bassy sound feels like it's about to split apart. kinda short, but i like the sounds. prob won't get my vote tho.

wreckdom - oh, now this i think is cool. dunno if it really fits the title, though and as such won't get my vote. reminds me - now this is an odd comparison - of a song by jean michel jarre. i think you concentrated too much on making all songs 1:00 and not enough on making songs as long as they should be.

tamlin - this is nice. good singable thing and yeah.

hostess - this is also a good sound - i think there's something missing in instrumentation/orchestration - i want a fuller sound for this. beatlesesque! good vox - catchy sound.

king arthur - this compares well to gordon lightfoot's sound. i like it! i can imagine myself singing along to this if i learn the words :) i like it just as it is.

seamus - all of these lines are the same melody and many of them are the same words (in the beginning) a little too much repetition. nice smooth sound. er, "close your eyes" sounds like it's gonna run into "and i'll kiss you" and that's pretty distracting. in the end i want this to have more edge. pleasant tho.

paco - cool synth. pretty 80's! i love that synth bwwooooooww. this is very goofy but in a good way.

abomb - i like your title interpretation a lot. "every day is his birthday", "misses the dinosaurs" particularly good bits. v good. the ending is great.

andre - hey i like the backing music a lot. starts out very well. some of the high sung notes aren't quite there... not sure the solo section works right here.

andy - the organ seems a little lost sometimes and i don't like the singer's voice, sorry. i know this style is pretty popular but i may be running into some genre bias... i feel bad cause you said you liked our song.

kapitano - cool. hmm, the chorus coming in the first time doesn't sound right - off balance. the mix might be a little too full on this song. or maybe it's just the sheer number of guitar parts, maybe they're muddy in those frequency bands? did the pitchshifting on the chorus vox change its timing? perhaps that's what bugs me there? dunno!

udahl - woo lofi. pretty good but not engaging me.

pigpen - i like the bassline. and that wavery instrument is way cool along with the piano. vox are lost in the mix. also they're very lethargic which isn't fitting the music. i like your experimentation tho. very nice break at 2:10 or so (even better - the one at 3:15). i'd say this is very nice but the vocals need work. also the cadence on "we shouldn't be seeing" is very awkward.

creeping foam - this is ours - i had recorded this mulch improvisation intended for another fight this week but had to switch it. it's really very far from my original inspiration. i like a lot of the parts but i think i didn't do a very good job of putting it together in the end - agree with kapitano. have proposed getting my bandmates to try their hands at making alternate versions. think that can't help but improve it.

favorites: kanahele, wreckdom, tamlin, hostess, king arthur, paco, abomb, creeping foam.
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
HeuristicsInc
Beat It

Post by HeuristicsInc »

vote update: i considered voting for paco's wacky or hostess's smooth but in the end decided to buck all that and vote for king arthur 'cause i just like it.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
drë
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar
Recording Method: protools
Submitting as: Andre was here at Midnight

Post by drë »

<B>King Arthur :</b>Read Hostess Mostess review. Replace the Word Beatles with Eagles. just the right lenght.

<B>PiGPEN :</b> Greatly enjoyed the happy poppy music, for the keyboards to the guitar melody.
Just needed better vocal performance(more energy) to go along with the music. 1 minute too long.

<B>Andy O :</b> Starts out OK, then it starts to dragggggg. the claping tends to loose the beat at time.

<B>The Seamus Collective :</b> The Drums can come out, as their really not doing anything for me on this song (specially if their midi). Just accoustic guitar and vocals would have done it. Reminds me of the Jayhawks, which i like. possible vote.

<B>Tam Lin Music :</b> yeahh, very soulful.. liking this.. heard a couple of places where a nice jazzy guitar could have come in, but you miss it. good vocals. needs a better intro. got soul though. possible vote.

<B>Paco del Stinko: </b> the WWWHHHHAAAAAAA WWWHHHHAAAAAAA WWWHHHHAAAAAAA in the intro can come up more in the mix, to add some bass / mood to the song.
don't like the chorus that sounds like the "Fantastic Gay Duo" Theame

<B>Kanahele :</b>i would mix this in with The Creeping foam song, and do the same.

<B>WreckdoM :</b>WreckdoM takes on reggae. it actually sounds good.

<B>Hostess Mostess :</b> the Beatles would like their songs back.(is a compliment.) possible vote.

<B>The Creeping foam : </b> i would like to lock someone in a dark dark room, and play them this song over and over and over, then let him/her out after 6 months and ask them what their view of their world is.

<B>UDAHL :</b> WOW! you must be a drummer, cuz the drums are like twice as loud as the rest of the song. the intro sounds like your drumming while listening to Long way down by the goo goo dolls on your headphone.

<B>Kapitano :</b> good start...like the bouncy beat.. talking heads sounding. could have been even more creative with the drums, as its really driving the song. more drum rolls.

<B>Abominominous :</b> great party vibe.. for some reason reminds me of the Replacements - Beer for Breakfast, must be the Minnesota thing. Like the high vocals on my right ear, more than the low voice on my left. the high vocals on the verse could have pulled off the song without the need for the low one, then in the chours use both. Chorus sounds over complicated... the verses are better. The organ could have come up a bit more, in the mix, would have only added more to the party vibe you were going for.possible vote.

<B>Semolina Pilchards :</b> got my attention with the nice intro.. but it dosen't really build on it. Actually is almost goes into a copletly different song.
no thanks, just like the intro.

vote: either Tam BinLinden, or Seamus Collective.. is a coin toss.
Andy-O
A New Player

Post by Andy-O »

andy - the organ seems a little lost sometimes and i don't like the singer's voice, sorry. i know this style is pretty popular but i may be running into some genre bias... i feel bad cause you said you liked our song.

On my Birthday too. Man you're cruel. :roll:

:lol:
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, vocals, bass, BIAB, keyboards (synth anything)
Recording Method: Tascam DP-24SD
Submitting as: King Arthur

Post by king_arthur »

Abominominous:

Keeper. This is fun. This was one of the approaches to "Time Being"
that I thought about but couldn't come up with a way to develop it -
I like where you went with it.

Andre Was Here at Midnight:

Keeper; overall I like this, although there are a couple places where
there are some rhythmic issues (like the way it slows down noticeably
after the intro, and a couple places where the bass comes in way off
beat) that will make me nuts when I hear it again, but I like the
feel of the music. The vocal style fits with the instruments well.

Andy O:

For me, rhythmic issues on this one (things coming in off beat) were
enough to make it not a keeper for me... similar to dre's song in that
sense, but there's a fine line between keeper and not, and this one
was just on the "not quite" side

Creeping Foam:

A decent song, not quite a keeper for me, "not my thing" I'm afraid.

Hostess Mostess:

Keeper. I sorta wished that after the first verse, it had expanded
out... wide panned guitars, maybe some organ or something... even
when the lead guitar comes in, it seems to me like the recording
stays small and centered, I just keep wanting it to explode. Nice
song, great vocals.

Kanahele:

I like the way this one expands after 0:59. Overall, still kinda too
repetitive, it doesn't go anywhere big melodically. A decent example
of what it is, I guess, there are just too many really good songs in
these fights...

Kapitano:

I could imagine this one at a much faster tempo... one of the voices
on the choruses seems like it's hitting the wrong note for the chords
underneath... given that it's mostly one-chord rock, a little more
dynamic variation might be in order... have the guitar cut back a bit
during the singing or something, like it does during the instrumental
break around 2:10... do _that_ under the verses to give us a little
variation.

me:

hmm, low volume again. I like the way the steel drums work on the
verse. I sorta recall that this was one I felt like I really had to
push through, force myself to finish. More high end in the mix would've
helped, too... I normally like to "watch" the mix on an RTA to make
sure it's reasonably spread out frequency-wise, but the power cable
disappeared...

Paco del Stinko:

Abom still winning the contest for best development of the time
travel theme... this is fun, sort of a high-fidelity #, which is
good. This one doesn't grab me quite as much as some of the
others - I'll call it a keeper because I'm trying to collect the
full set, but as a one-off, my least fave of yours so far...

Pigpen:

Fifties chord pattern doesn't quite work with the emo vocalizings
for me... redundant piano quadruplets get a bit overbearing after a
while, there, 1:51, they finally change to half notes... I dunno,
this just feels to me like three different songs playing at once
(left ear, right ear, and voice), just doesn't gel for me.

Seamus Collective:

Keeper. Nice harmonies, I like the melody. Based on what I'm picking
up of the lyrics, I think there may be a bit of a mismatch between
message and music, but I dig the music enough that I can just pretend
it's a quirky love song and like it for that...

Semolina Pilchards:

5/4 ? Yeah, I think so... love the acoustic guitar tone. Keeper
just for being a well-executed example of an unusual meter...

Tam Lin Music:

Keeper. Some odd chord changes, which I'm sure are intentional.
Hmm, bass disappearing at 1:25 or so... didn't feel like there was
any reason for it to go away at that point. Bass going away is a
good way of providing some dynamic variation, but it seems like it
needs to be more related to the structure of the song in some way.
Maybe it was, and I just missed it...

UDAHL:

Usual mix comments - did the drummer mix this one? Everything else
seems lost. Umm... short, nothing in there grabbed me enough to make
it a keeper.

WreckdoM:

Okay, this sort of swishy keyboard patch usually loses me pretty
quickly, we'll see... okay, it's an instrumental, and the thing
that makes me like the songs of yours that I like is the humor in
the lyrical content. So I'll pass this time...
"...one does not write in dactylic hexameter purely by accident..." - poetic designs
PiGPEN
Push Comes to Shove

Post by PiGPEN »

king_arthur wrote: Fifties chord pattern doesn't quite work with the emo vocalizings
for me... redundant piano quadruplets get a bit overbearing after a
while, there, 1:51, they finally change to half notes... I dunno,
this just feels to me like three different songs playing at once
(left ear, right ear, and voice), just doesn't gel for me.
Im sorry, you lost me at half-notes. This might be news to people but ive never studied music...they tried to teach me some in elementary but i was just too cool listening to Kriss Kross on my portable cd player.
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, vocals, bass, BIAB, keyboards (synth anything)
Recording Method: Tascam DP-24SD
Submitting as: King Arthur

Post by king_arthur »

Umm, okay, through most of the song the piano is playing steady repeated notes, pretty far up in the mix. At 1:51 into the song, the piano starts playing less frequent notes. I thought that was a good thing, and was implying that maybe if the piano had played less frequently under some of the other parts of the songs, so that it wasn't competing with the vocals so much, that might have been a good thing, too.

Hope that Helps

Charles (KA)
"...one does not write in dactylic hexameter purely by accident..." - poetic designs
PiGPEN
Push Comes to Shove

Post by PiGPEN »

Alright, gotcha.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It

Post by HeuristicsInc »

Andy-O wrote: On my Birthday too. Man you're cruel. :roll:
Heh, sorry... but happy belated birthday!
-bill
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas