Organize yourselfs.
wages
Panama
Instruments: Vocals, Rhythm Guitar
Recording Method: Zoom h4n, Audacity
Submitting as: Wages

Songwriting contest, need help for decent recording by 10/15

Post by wages »

I've got a song I want to enter into a songwriting contest. The contest is due October 16th, so I need to have the tune finished by the 15th.

I can provide rhythm guitar and vocals in Audacity or Acid Pro 5.0 formats if anyone can mix it properly, and add drums and maybe bass. In fact, if it is easier (I don't know?), if anyone wanted to lay out some bass and drums to go with the song (anything else including a better guitar part is just gravy!; I'm not a producer/engineer, just a songwriter) and then I could re-record the guitar and vocals to be in time with the rhythm section, that would be great too.

You can hear what a friend of mine remixed the tune to (it's remotely in time) at <a href="http://www.thoughtconspiracy.com/songfi ... .mp3">What Made You Change</a>

Anyone who's interested, you can send me a pm or post here. If by some strange chance I won, I would be happy to share some of the prize money with those who helped make it happen. :)
Wages - Hoglen & Wages - The Affirmative Mention - Gawking Urethras - The EAF - and more
deshead
Panama

Post by deshead »

Phil, it'll be tricky to match a rhythm part with that MP3 because the tempo is inconsistent.
Wages wrote:In fact, if it is easier ... if anyone wanted to lay out some bass and drums to go with the song ... then I could re-record the guitar
The best way to do a remote collab is start with a rough demo of the song (one intrument + vocals) played to a click track or metronome. If everyone knows the song's tempo, the drummer and bass player can lay the bed tracks with the demo as a guide. Then the rest of the band can add their parts over top of the rhythm section.

Do you have the opportunity to re-record the song, just you and a guitar and a click track?
wages
Panama
Instruments: Vocals, Rhythm Guitar
Recording Method: Zoom h4n, Audacity
Submitting as: Wages

Post by wages »

deshead wrote:Do you have the opportunity to re-record the song, just you and a guitar and a click track?
I can certainly re-record it. The problem is I can't seem to keep the guitar in time (of course, if I make several takes, I can nail it). Would you prefer it in Audacity or Sony Acid 5? I will turn the volume way up on the click track so I can definitely hear it and then try to re-record this with the click track this weekend while also working on Beauty Is a Burden.

Any suggestions for this tune (intro measures, space for solo, etc)? As in, should I slow it down a little, speed it up, keep it about the same? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I've got to go buy some more strings, so there won't be any recording before tonight anyhow.
Wages - Hoglen & Wages - The Affirmative Mention - Gawking Urethras - The EAF - and more
deshead
Panama

Post by deshead »

Wages wrote:The problem is I can't seem to keep the guitar in time (of course, if I make several takes, I can nail it).
For the demo that you give a drummer, it's only important that you play to a metronome. Whether or not you hit the beat perfectly throughout doesn't matter so much, since the drummer will end up playing to a click track anyway. (Or, you can leave the click track turned up loud in the mix .. The key is that the drummer has a steady beat to synch with, regardless of your timing.)
Wages wrote:Would you prefer it in Audacity or Sony Acid 5?
My response above was more for your general info, since I'm not sure if I'll have time to do the drums for you. (I probably should have said that up front.) Still, post the revised mp3 'cause there's lots of time before the deadline.

Regarding the format, it's actually best to export the individual tracks was separate WAV files. That anyway, anyone can collaborate with you, since WAV is a cross platform standard.
Wages wrote:Any suggestions for this tune (intro measures, space for solo, etc)?
The speed is good. The only thing I'd drop is the extra bar at 1:55, where you draw out the "you ..." That pause will force the drummer to stop, whereas without the extra bar, there's a natural drum fill into the last section.