Do robot babies dream of electric pacifiers?

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
<3
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Do robot babies dream of electric pacifiers?

Post by <3 »

I hope it does not spit up lubrication everywhere!
Love, <3
wages
Panama
Instruments: Vocals, Rhythm Guitar
Recording Method: Zoom h4n, Audacity
Submitting as: Wages

Post by wages »

I wouldn't recommend feeding it milk....
Wages - Hoglen & Wages - The Affirmative Mention - Gawking Urethras - The EAF - and more
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

This fight, like the jungle, is massive.

MASSIVE.
jseavers05
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Recording Method: Sonar X3, FL Studio, Tascam US-1641, Art Pro MPA ii & VLA, M-Audio 88 Key, Monoprice 8" mntr

Post by jseavers05 »

hecka good song melvin, and b ellison. mega ultra. mega. and i will type some reviews later.
gizo
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: i am mostly playing stringed ones, but I'll have a tilt at most
Recording Method: my method is to throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks. My wall is made of Logic on an old iMac
Submitting as: gizo : rackwagon (with Toshiro) : Late Heavy Bombardment : Stacking Theory
Pronouns: he/him

Post by gizo »

So many songs, one clear winner. I'm not even going to say who, because it's SO DAMN OBVIOUS.
Well done, YouKnowWhoYouAre....
.sig
boochinballs
A New Player

Post by boochinballs »

Wow, this is going to be one hell of a song fight, 32 Entries !!! Musical madness (some of you literally). Reviews to come later this eve (producing a bands album until then, and manically tidying my studio before they get here :) )

Early mentions go out to Jordan, B Ellison, Chuck the Bear. You's some tallented mofo's.

Also I think Rone may have just had his most musically polished entry this week (it didn't hurt my head like last weeks). The lyrics are almost in time too. Good on ya fella, a definate improvement.
Last edited by boochinballs on Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Part of the problem.
<br>For more musical nonsence, <a href="http://www.myspace.com/boochinballs">ww ... inballs</a>
For less nonsense and actual songs,<a href="http://www.myspace.com/sixthline">www.m ... xthline</a>
boochinballs
A New Player

Post by boochinballs »

Woahh there tiddlys. That's a lot of songs to review. I want an hour of my life back :) Sorry if anyone takes offense to any of these comments, I'm seriously frustrated after 32 tracks. Maybe I shouldn't have done this in one sitting. Also sorry if I've mispelt any of your names. I've corrected a few already, so flame away if I've majorily cocked up.

But seriously, some you are really good.

Here goes, I hope you've got a cup of tea and your vice of choice to hand while you read this.

The runners

B Ellison

Thankyou B Ellison. A tune AND instrumentation. What's wrong with you, where's your pitchshifter :)

Seriously though so far best of the bunch (in play order on the mp3 stream).

Xylophone, very nice. Vocals are pretty good. I think it's a bit over compressed by the way the drums are coming in and out, but other than that a valiant effort.

Chuck the bear

GREAT GREAT GREAT.

Love it, great vocals and harmonies, nice guitar line and bass. Like what I heard of the lyrics..Love the "Click Click Click" breakdown at around 1.30, also great guitar solo and amp sound. And then you top it off with a crazy synth noize.

A Definate contender.

Jordan Seavers

As I have been quite vocal about, Jordan you are the star of this site in my limited experiance. I've had the privilage of hearing this already from your myspace and it's another slice of blissed out Seavers wonderment. Great production, great vocals, great synths. So far off the illness scale it almost makes me ill +10 Nice brass section as well, Grandaddy me do. Vote wisely people. *Chinballs Pick of the week*

Luke Henley

I'm told you sound like the weakerthans. Don't know who they are so, I can't comment. Not a bad effort, I kind of like it. You don't make me ill, so you're on the right track. Very distant guitar and tortured sounding vox. I'd take some of the vox again next time though to make it a little more polished. Definate potential here. Good Effort

Melvin

Liking this so far, very quiet vocals, but that's not necessarily a bad thing..If I had a spliff on the go, I'd be digging it more. Nice harmonies and buildup to the chorus. A bit weezer, nice synth part that was unexpected in a good way. Professionally recorded. Top 5 fo' sho' mofo (I've been hearing too much nerdcore on here to aviod obvious hiphop lingo)

Paco del Stinko

A bit end of the world as we know it by REM in sound. Yeeeehaaaa scores you extra points. Nice guitar solo, I bet you are a good live band. Good ending harmony. In the top 5

The Stumblers

Adnoisium

Made me laugh, a little anyway. Not as bad as some.

And then.... tentacles

Beat sounds random, 90's rave synth is a nice touch. Lofo organ pad
Vocals are horrible, a bit Roneish. At least with Rone's I want to hear what his lyrics are. With this I'd prefer it being an instrumental.

Baker

Very king missile introduction. Well recorded in clarity terms.
1.25 Where did that acoustic guitar come from, I thought it was going somewhere for a moment, then all of sudden....it didn't. Id stick to the spoken stuff, the vocals are a mess unless it's supposed to be a joke. In that case, could have been funnier.

Beer Squadron

What's with the pitchshifters man. I feel like I've been robbed of the acid you were on making this..We can all play with the knobs on our effects units. Well done. My head hurts now, I need a smoke. If last weeks original result is anything to go by, a surefire winner :)

Boo Chin Balls,

Yes I should have mastered this louder, sorry people :) Note to self for next week.

Cranial Biffida

First of all, great name :) This is either a work of genuis, or a mess, I'm not sure.

Like the off-kilter soundscape of the backing. Very 80's flanged goth vocals. It varies between being wierdly tuneful and just wierd. Are you Attrition/Depheched Mode fans ?

Maybe a little long (I'm getting bored 3 minutes in)

An interesting and above average effort. I'm starting to like it though.

Electric Spoons

Hmmm vocoders, how original. What the hell have you done to that xylophone :) Not my bag, I'm starting to feel ill, not as I'll as Beer Squadron made me feel, but Ill none the less.

Divison of Suns

Sounds like a cross between Selfish Cunt and Slipknot without guitars ;) Strange without making me feel ill. If I listened to the lyrics, I guess I may be forced to rethink my illness status.

Great photocopier noises though.

Favourite bit is the bit from 1.46-1.53

Framed

Not too bad soundwise. Horrible backing vocals though. BACK OFF THE MIC man, clipped to fuck. Seriously are the BV's comedy ? I really can't tell. Illness rating 0 (and that's good)

The Friedrich Honighosen Project

First 10 secs, I'm thinking Gong meets Trent Reznor, then the vocals come in. I'm thinking illness is aproaching..The Boo Chin Balls, is done with this song. Mention of cheese get's you -1 from the illness rating. Sounds like you've reversed your CD collection and smoked too much weed. Please dontate some via the instant message function next week.

Friendly Martians, Julie

Why...You can obviously play some instruments.

Doesn't even make me feel ill.. Try harder

Glennny

Very strange, Is that a real drum kit and some weird distorted electro stuff. 1min in, yes it is.

Vocals are very weak flanger effect on guitar is too overpowering. A good idea, but not pulled off particularly well. Keep going my friend you have potential.

2.18 what the hell is that instrument, it's cool as fuck whatever it is.

Too many drum changes, and keep off the helium.

Jimmy Jet and his TV Set

Sounds like one of Kurt Cobains early fake demos. But with bongos.

It's off the illness scale, but not sure how far up the positive scale...It's somewhere in the middle of the pack.

Stop with the Kurt pastiche though seriously..

Mc Wreckshin + Oddioblender

Pacman on acid. Not your best effort, too many refeneces to songfight other contenders but it's still above average. Tenuous link to subject matter but what the fuck, you are still in the top 10.
A bit juvenile lyrically, mc chris can pull that sort of shit off but this borderline..Frontalot you are not. Love the false ending.

Muffcake

Great name :) You've got serious latency clipping on here. Change your settings in your DAW man. Had the same problem for years. Spoils an otherwise ok tune. Like the lofo synth line. A bit emo-ish, but that later gated synth could do with being in time. Doesn't make me feel ill but for the latency clipping. Pretty good, but needs more enthusiastic vox.

Nemphusi

The guitar is ok I guess. Vocal clipping man, back off the mic. Not sure what the hell the lyrics are about, but that's never been too much of a problem for SF :) Should have kept it to 1.53, I would have just started to get bored...then it ended, but there's another 50 seconds too much. Doesn't really go anywhere.

The Ninja Bachelors

You win the award for the entry quieter than mine :) Your a little bit country, not a little bit rock and roll. Sing louder boy. You are almost inaudiable.
I'm bored halfway through, but you can play guitar, that scores you extra points. Nice solo 2mins in, but this track is so layed back I'm wanting to go to sleep.

Pained Memories

Is that you Rone ? I think you've started a new musical movement :)

What the fuck is with the out of tune synth at 47secs in. It's horrible. Vocals are not nice either. You've got an interesting idea, but it doesn't really go anywhere. 1.30 CLIPPED TO FUCK. You are definatly getting extra illness points now. 1.53 ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. My speakers man, have some compassion for my monitors. I need a smoke again.

Rone Rivendale

Rone, after last weeks voting fiasco, I think you may actually get some legit votes this week. Your most musical effort to date. 4.11 is a little too much Rone for one sitting, but your lyrics almost fit, and they rhyme and you have little/no vocal clipping. You've spent more time on this weeks ? You are definatly not the worst of the bunch. Well done, CyberRivendale. You only get 1 illness point.

Shex

A Bit Beck, that's some weird pitch shifting going on. Nice crunch guitar and dust brothersy production. Sounds a little like Interpol in the vocal department. Not bad at all, not really my bag, but it's a definate step above most.

Slicks

Hmm, I'm not sure what I think of this. Like the female vocals, a bit like a bad pixies B-side. Is this slacker in sound deliberatly or are the vox just ropey ? I really can't tell. If they are then good job. Get a pop sheild (or a pair of tights over a coathanger if you are like me) if you are going to say words that start with POP. It's on the border of being good.

Sockless Pupp3t

Im liking this 20 secs in, Have you been listening to Jordan's tunes :) Vocals are not quite there, I almost thought I was listening to Wing for a moment (ok that's maybe alittle harsh).Male vox are too distored and autotuned, but meh. It's ok, it could be very good but never quite reaches the brilliance it could. The synths and drums are nice though.

Space Dust

More nerdcore. Vocals dont grab me and I can't really be bothered to listen to the lyrics. Sorry guys. The vibraphone noise is ok. 4.57 is way too long. Try rapping in time, I know this is supposed to be nerdcore, but mc chris wouldn't have got to where he is by being this slack in timing. It's not the worst, but it's not grabbing me.

Wages

I thought Stan by eminem was going to kick in at first. Then I had nightmares. Then I felt ill. Then a song started. The Elvis delays is overdone, but hey whatever floats your boat. You sound like you can actually sing, so you should do that next time :) Singing through a sock doesn't count. Bored by the end.

wwe are smort

I said a hip - hop, a hibby to the hip hip hop and you don't stop, unfortunatly.

You sound like a less stoned version of the Goldie Lookin' Chain. Learn to be welsh and I may listen.

ZeaLouS1

More nerdcore. They are all coming out of the woodwork this week. Not bad in comparison to some of the other NC entries. You've got robot flow. Without the vocoder though, I think this would sound lame. Doesn't go anywhere though.
[/b]

Thanks for the tunes, the headaches and the Marlbro addiction. Next week, less vocoders and clipping please :)

Peace out,

Chinballs (the one with the aching fingers)
Last edited by boochinballs on Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Part of the problem.
<br>For more musical nonsence, <a href="http://www.myspace.com/boochinballs">ww ... inballs</a>
For less nonsense and actual songs,<a href="http://www.myspace.com/sixthline">www.m ... xthline</a>
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

boochinballs wrote:Sockless Pupp3t

Im liking this 20 secs in, Have you been listening to Jordan's tunes :)
I can't reliably speak to <3, but I have not. I guess there is a bit of a similarity between us this week though, but it's entirely unintentional.

I'm halfway through my initial listen (and I'll try to review them in general later) but so far I've at least somewhat enjoyed B. Ellison, Boo Chin Balls, Chuck The Bear, Cranial Biffida, Glenny, Jimmy Jet, and Jordan Seavers. It's hard to have patience for the less-well-produced ones when there's SO MANY though.

For how the collaboration with <3 worked, I had a dream about DDR on Monday and the song I was trying to dance to (while the owner of the establishment the machine was at was trying to kick me out) had a pretty catchy backing track, so when I woke up I sequenced that and sent it to <3, who came up with some initial lyrics, and we did some back-and-forth on them (I thought I'd try for something a bit Zappa-esque both in content and delivery, though I couldn't really pull off the delivery so I went with the ultra-autotuned robot-sounding cliche instead). Then <3 recorded some vocals and made a sketch arrangement, and I recorded my vocals to the sketch arrangement and remixed the whole thing. The original backing track is only vaguely audible now.

It was a lot of fun to do, in any case, and I'm happy with the result. :D (Though apparently my vocals are very EQ-sensitive as several people have complained about them being WAY too loud when on all of my speakers and headphones it sounds right to me.)
Adnoisium
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Adnoisium »

Adnoisium I tried for a bit of a Ken Nordine's "My Baby" thing where
it starts out sounding like it's about a woman, but turns out it's about an actual baby. It's really only evident in the first couple of lines. The character singing it is supposed to be a human scientist I kept picturing Colin Clive singing it.

And Then... Tentacles! There are some annoying high pitches in here. There's a weird effect to on the vocals (not sure if this is intentional or a side effect of noise reduction) that works pretty well for the subject of the song. The vocals are difficult to hear and only get more so when everything kicks in. The instrumentation gets a little jummbled and reminds me of Mario Paint. Difficult to listen to. It could do with a re mixing of levels. It has potential though.

Baker I like the idea of an exposition, and it is well executed here.
The vocals sound weird like parts of them are cut off. The instrument track is pretty good. The vocoder is a good idea for the song, and can be tricky to get a good effect while still having understandable vocals. It was fairly well acheived here, but the vocals could have been a bit louder. The breakdown with the guitar is a bit disorienting. I get the concept behind the round sort of thing towards the end, but it feels a bit too jummbled to me.

Bear Squadron It sounds as if you're going for a doo-wop song about Robots, and the anachronisms inherent in this are nice. But it could have done with more organized mixing and orchestrating of vocal parts. It also looses energy, and could have been cut shorter. Great concept, but not so great execution.

B. Ellison A very well written song. Not much to say really it has a really pop-y feeling. The vocals could have been mixed louder and instruments quieter, but if that were to happen I wouldn't be surprised to hear it on the radio.

Boo Chin Balls It's a fairly long lead in, and when the vocals kick in they remind me a bit of Phish. But when every thing kicks in it sounds very modern R&B almost Boy Band like. You beat me to the punch on the mixing comment, and there's a bit of hiss/fuzz on the vocals (Don't know if this is intentional). Aside from that it's a good well written song. Not my personal cup of tea but good. Also a side not I was a bit taken back by your pronuciation of solder (as soul-der instead of sod-er). Not saying it's wrong just not used to that pronunciation.

Chuck the Bear The vocals could be a bit louder and/or instruments quieter. Fairly pop-y (reminds me a bit of bands like POD, Staind,etc.), and once again not my cup of tea, but well done.

Cranial Biffida I can barley hear the vocals. It has an industrial/techno edge to it. The vocals bring to mind Evanescence. It has potential. Unfortunatley it is a bit long, and with the problems that exist, and a hook that wasn't able to grab me it's difficult to listen to it for almost 5 min.

Cynthia Size and the Eclectic spOOns There are some annoying high pitches on this song. And the vocals too quiet. The xylophone like instrument is too high pitched as well. The song is a pretty repetative. Which I like in concept, but am not to keen to subjecting myself to.

Division of Suns Even when you're yelling it's difficult to hear the vocals. Very Metalish or Screamo. Not a fan of the style, but could be a good example of the genre if mixed better. Not sure about the kid voice.

Framed! Instrument could have been mixed a bit quieter. As is they make it a bit difficult to understand the vocals. Not sure about the vocal responses. It has potential. Lyrics sound a lot like the Twilight Zone episode "The Lonely".

The Friedrich Honighosen Project Love the saxaphone. Can't put my finger on it but the mixing is off. Once again the repetition is good in concept, but It gets annoying in practice. Would have been nice if the saxaphone had done some free jazz stuff throughout the song. But it sounds like a sample so I can see how that wouldn't be possible. The lyrics are pretty crazy. I could see liking this song if it had been executed better.

Friendly Martians, Julie Instrumentation is a bit cluttered. Vocals are quiet. The song has potential.

Glennny This song reminds me a bit of Phish at some points. The mixing is off. Vocals could have been loude/ instruments quieter. I could see listening to this song if I was in the mood for it. It's a bit long.

Jimmy Jet and his TV Set The phasing on the guitar is messing with my head. Could have been better mixed. As is the vocals from being a bit too quiet to a bit too loud. The song has potential.

Jordan Seavers There are some annoying high pitches. It has a pop-y/indie feel to it, and if it were mixed a bit better with instruments a bit quieter maybee I could see hearing it on the radio.

Luke Henley Could stand some noise reduction, and better mixing (louder vocals quieter guitar). Fairly crude lyrics. It has a bit of a pop sound in the vocals at least (remind me a bit of The Unicorns/Islands). With better mixing it could be a radio song, maybee not Top 40 pop, but NPR for sure.

MC Wreckshin with Oddioblender Some annoying high pitches. But I really dig how lo-fi it sounds. Vocals are a bit to quiet instruments too loud.
I used to like Nerdcore, but I don't really like it anymore. If better mixed it could be a good example of the genre.

Melvin Very Nice instrumentation. Vocals up Instruments down would be nice. Aside from that it's well executed. As an indie vibe to it with a hint of emo.

Muffcake The synth goes a little too high pitch wise. It sounds more like a modern interpretation of New Wave rather than old school New Wave (like a Cars tribute band rather than The Cars). The song is good and with a few minor alterations could be great.

Nemphusi Could stand to have some noise reduction. The vocals overload ocasionaly reminds me a bit of Hasil Adkins. Better mixing and this song would be pretty durn good.

The Ninja Bachelors The vocals are a bit too soft at points. Has a real meadering folk vibe (like Donovan). Could have done with a teeny bit more chord variation though. A good song overall.

Paco del Stinko Brings to mind something like Flogging Molly with a modern country edge. Vocals a bit louder, and it'd be a very nice song. Could see hearing it in a Tony Hawk game...maybee.

Pained Memories A bit of a hiss issue on the beats. The vocals are very difficult to hear at points, and overload at others. Has a bit of an 80's end of movie feeling on the instruments. Gets really jumbled at the end. It has potential though.

Rone Rivendale Some annoying high pitches are present. Vocals are a bit difficult to hear. Quieter instruments, not sure if you should change vocal levels. A bit long of a song overall, but has potential.

shex Not a real fan of the style here (reminds me a bit of Meatloaf in a bad way). But if you're a fan of the style it would probably be more enjoyable. A good song regaurdless of my feelings. Vocals are a bit quiet at points.

The Slicks It sounds as though it were performed live. If it wasn't it could do with better, if it was the levels are understandable. I tend to only like live songs if A) I'm there at the concert or B) It's Jazz/Blues. Also not a big fan of the style, but a good song overall.

So<kpupp3t The piano overloads quite a bit, and the instrumentation starts to sound a bit cluttered when everything kicks in. Quieter instruments, and check vocal levels they overload sometimes and are difficult to hear at others. The song has potential.

Space Dust There are a few pitches too high. Not really liking the style here, but with some slight alterations could become fairly exemplary.

Wages The exposition vocals are a bit too low pitched. Vocals remind me a bit of Pink Floyd and some of the songs on The Wall at points, but are more emo-ish/Incubus-ish at other points. Vocals are a bit difficult to hear at points. The instruments could be brought down to fix this. Pretty good song overall.

wwe are smort The mixing feels a bit skewed to the left. A bit of an old school rap feel to it. Not sure about the crazy Joe Walsh "Flock of Wah-Wahs" type ending.

ZeaLouS1 There are some pitches that are too high. A hip hop feel to it. Vocals a bit difficult to hear at points due to both levels, and vocoding. With some changes it could be a good example of the genre.

A bit of an undertaking this time to review due to all the entries.
boochinballs
A New Player

Post by boochinballs »

Thanks for the review dude. I only spent thursday on it as I only found SF on Wed, so I had realised the volume problem after I'd emailed it. Anyway enough excuses.

Explainations, The boyband thing I find really funny as one of my mates said it sounds like Robbie Williams :) Not what I was going for, but hey whatever it sounds like, it sounds like. I've been told I sound like Phil Collins before and that's not exactly where I'm aiming at either :)

The vox are purposefully noisy as they are layered through different EQ/Amp models at different parts of the track. Maybe a little overdone on reflection, but thats what I get for rushing things.

I think the solder thing is a UK/US pronneciation jobby. I've never heard it called sodder.

Cheers for the nice words,

K
Part of the problem.
Justincombustion
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Drums. Drums. Drums.
Recording Method: Whatever that stuff in Glenn's basement is.
Submitting as: HalfRacks, Drink/Drank/Drunk, Baby In the Corner, Chuck the Bear

Post by Justincombustion »

Chuck the Bear (reminds me a bit of bands like POD, Staind,etc.),

Like a kick to the nuts!!! OUCH!!!
"When you can balance a tack-hammer on your head; you can then head off you opponent with a balanced attack!"
melvin
Push Comes to Shove

Post by melvin »

Long fight, short reviews.

Adnosium: Terrible vocals, impossible for me to like.

And Then… Tentacles: Like Rone, except not as good.

Baker: Similar to a junior high class project, not in a good way.

Bear Squadron: Incredibly irritating, just bad.

B Ellison: Really good, well-sung.

Boo Chin Balls: Pretty cool, nice vocals.

Chuck the Bear: Great tones, pretty good song.

Cranial Biffida: Good execution, but not my taste.

Cynthia & spOOns: Strangely haunting, kind of like it.

Division of Suns: Cool band name, super-annoying sound.

Framed: Really weird, is it serious?

Friederich etc: Slightly funny, but hard on the ears.

Friendly Martins, Julie: Hilarious band name, crap song.

Glennny: Really cool ideas, hindered by pitch problems.

Jimmy Jet: Not bad, I miss grunge.

Jordan Seavers: Awesome as usual, when is Satan going to make you re-pay him?

Luke Henley: I want to hate you, but I can’t.

MC Wreck etc: This is novel, I’m new to nerdcore.

Melvin: Certainly nothing great, but my first SF entry recorded in one short session the night before.

Muffcake: One of my favourites, too bad about the clicks and pops.

Nemphusi: Not terrible, but practice is needed.

Ninja Bachelors: Another hilarious band name, another song that lost my interest before it was nearly over.

Paco Del Stinko: Always impressed by the Stink, this is no exception.

Pained Memories: This sounds familiar, Rone should sue you.

Rone Rivendale: Not bad pal, your best flow ever!

Shex: Cool production, some really great moments in this.

Slicks: I listen to this, and I become depressed.

So<kpupp3t: This is catchy, but the low vocals sound like they were too out of pitch for Autotune to properly correct.

Spacedust: Hard to tell if these vocals are intentionally ironic, or just bad.

Wages: Your voice is great, and I see promise in the neat-o production twists.

Wwe are smort: Time is money, so let’s not waste any more.

Zealous: Opening sample is lame, reaching for “stop”…

Hard to be very nuanced in this abbreviated format, oh well.

Question: Anyone know what happened to Kweep? I loved that guy.
hi!
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

Thanks for the reviews so far, peoples. I'll climb the mountain in the next day or so.
Melvin wrote:Question: Anyone know what happened to Kweep? I loved that guy.
Good question! I liked his stuff too. I thought something about last weeks Muffcake entry was Kweepish, and even mentioned it in my review. Stand and be counted, sir! Are you a Muff or are you a Cake?
Adnoisium
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Adnoisium »

Justincombustion wrote:Chuck the Bear (reminds me a bit of bands like POD, Staind,etc.),

I don't mean any harm by my comments, I just try to relate the sound to things I've heard before.
WeaselSlayer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, keyboard
Recording Method: Garageband, laptop mic
Submitting as: Luke Henley

Post by WeaselSlayer »

Luke Henley: I want to hate you, but I can’t.
Thanks guy.

I just learned a valuable lesson: don't leave songfight for too long because then when you come back you have to re-establish yourself to all the new people named after their privates.
Justincombustion
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Drums. Drums. Drums.
Recording Method: Whatever that stuff in Glenn's basement is.
Submitting as: HalfRacks, Drink/Drank/Drunk, Baby In the Corner, Chuck the Bear

Post by Justincombustion »

Adnoisium wrote:
Justincombustion wrote:Chuck the Bear (reminds me a bit of bands like POD, Staind,etc.),

I don't mean any harm by my comments, I just try to relate the sound to things I've heard before.

No no, And I really wasn't offended. Jokes don't transfer as easy on Teh Internets.
"When you can balance a tack-hammer on your head; you can then head off you opponent with a balanced attack!"
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

But avatar pictures of Bob Ross do!
Adnoisium
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Adnoisium »

Justincombustion wrote:
Adnoisium wrote:

No no, And I really wasn't offended. Jokes don't transfer as easy on Teh Internets.
Just like how sarcasm dosen't translate into the written word.
Clock Radio
A New Player

Post by Clock Radio »

Hello all, I'm new to Song Fight. I enter under the name "Jimmy Jet and his TV Set". I really appreciate the comments. Boochinballs, I never have heard the Cobain comparison before...very interesting.
swilington
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: nothing really
Submitting as: Swilington

Post by swilington »

Adnoisium wrote:Adnoisium
Framed! Instrument could have been mixed a bit quieter. As is they make it a bit difficult to understand the vocals. Not sure about the vocal responses. It has potential. Lyrics sound a lot like the Twilight Zone episode "The Lonely".

yeah, the song is based off of "the lonely" i didn't think think anyone was going to get that. it's nice to meet another twilight zone/rod serling fan.
swilington, framed!, lack of sleep,
Adam!
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drum 'n' Bass (but not THAT Drum 'n' Bass)
Recording Method: Reaper + Stock Plugins
Submitting as: Max Bombast

Post by Adam! »

Adnoisium wrote:Chuck the Bear: The vocals could be louder. Reminds me POD, Staind.
A very apt comparison. According to Pandora both Stained and POD are known for their up-tempo, upbeat rock songs with strong vocal harmonies and playful lyrics. Just like this one!

Anyway, try as I might I can't get this Chuck the Bear song off of my winamp playlist: it's unabashedly, balls-out awesome. The mix is great, too (and yes, the vocals are at a perfect level).
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

I concur, the Chuck the Bear song is great. It had me cracking up and rocking out ... at the same time!! Awesome singing and awesome guitar solo.