I Fall Into the Songfight Gap

Use this forum for title suggestions, bitching at moderators, whining about phpBB, and grand ideas that will solve all of Song Fight's problems.
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

I Fall Into the Songfight Gap

Post by Jim of Seattle »

Not really complaining per se, because as the FAQ says, the fighmasters have lives to attend to, but this just seems to happen to me a lot so I had to vent.

Occasionally a day will come along where I have the time to devote to doing a SF song. Hooray! So I go on line and realize, yet again, I've fallen into the "Songfight Gap". This is where there currently posted title is already expired but the new title isn't up yet. So there's no title to compose to. By the time the new title comes up, my window of opportunity has passed.

In the past I've actually written a song and left it open-ended enough so that the title can be incorporated later, but that's cheating, and not always easy.

Anyway, today is one of those days. Patrice (wife) actually suggested we do a song together tonight (bliss!) and would I write one for her and we'd sing it together and submit it (bliss!). But alas, I have fallen yet again into the Songfight Gap. Sigh. A trip to Blockbuster instead I guess...
Here's my record label page thingie with stuff about me if you are so interested: https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

I was thinking the same thing... I got Saturday evenings and sundays free...but ya know what Jim... man you're good at whining.

hehe. Ahhh..just razzing ya.

Seriously. I got pretty wasted last night. I can tell because of the groggy headache I'm nursing. Nothing a can of lucky won't fix though eh?

So, I had the same thought...but thing is... it comes around...they move the due date around. You could cynically say it's cause they have to as their real life lives require things to be done...thus delaying their ability to post whatever.

It has a very nice... syncronicity to it though... in that the moving target lines up for everyone, every once in a while!

Isn't that swell?

Oh... plus, I'm sure you, just like me, COULD have prioritized a songfight entry over other stuff, but we choose not to. So, maybe you're not so much in the "songfight" gap...which implies that their is some responsibility mitigated by another entity, but rather you are in the "I really like songfighting when I can, but I have other priorities right now gap".

Cause then the responsibility is exactly upon the shoulders where it belongs.

I think
I'm
hung
over.

IRA. God damn spell checker won't give me a proper spelling for synchronicity. Clearly hasn't listened to the police.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs
Pronouns: he/him

Post by HeuristicsInc »

Uh, you could suggest a sidefight, skirmish! See who comes in and joins. Would be a way to at least do a song for competition even if it's not the BIG ONE.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Phil. Redmon.
Mean Street
Instruments: guitars
Recording Method: Reaper
Submitting as: Abominominous, The Hell Yeahs, Spy Vs. Pie

Post by Phil. Redmon. »

I agree with you Jim. That is some irritating shit. It's happened to us multiple times. NO WEEKEND SHOULD PASS WITHOUT A WORKABLE TITLE!

(oust the mods!)

( :wink: )
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

Here is a title. Feel free to write a song for it:

"CHARLIE"

This is not a title for Song Fight, but could be the title for a songfight. If you require a title for your inspiration, there you go!

JB
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

The non-Songfight song titles aren't anywhere near as good as they used to be. And I liked it better when there were 3 of them. And why can't teenagers pull their pants up properly?
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

jb wrote:Here is a title. Feel free to write a song for it:

"CHARLIE"

This is not a title for Song Fight, but could be the title for a songfight. If you require a title for your inspiration, there you go!

JB
Yeah I figured I'd get someone responding like that. It goes without saying that just having a title is not the point. It's the whole thing, the deadline, the fact that others are working on the same title, the competition, the reviews, the voting, the whole thing.
Here's my record label page thingie with stuff about me if you are so interested: https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

the brilliant thing is i swear to god jim, before posting this i just went to the main page to see if there was a title because i have the next 2 days somewhat open and i was feeling somewhat inspired to record.

oh well. maybe next year. :)
Hi!
Leaf
Jump
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

Hey, I got a title idea I came up with today. But I'm not sharing it because it's mine.

MINE!!!!!

Don't bother asking what it is... it's a sure fire hit title though. I MIGHT tell Jb if he pm's me.

Spud too.

But that's it.
Ok. (heh...no harde return for frankie there...heh)
I just thought of another one:

"Do my bidding bitch, I wanna be inspired by you on my own terms".

Man, that's better than the one I thought of already!! YEAH!!!!

*All in good fun Jim. I seriously am on a schedule (as well) that doesn't allow for the current scheme of songfight chronology, but it'll come around..be patient... she wants you... I saw the way songfight was looking at you. Wait til after 11 pm...she'll have enough to drink and then you can have your way with her.

I really don't know why I felt that needed to be in small font.
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

I've been running into this alot myself. I want to build a songfight set list..and possibly one for my band if they decide to come to the next SFL with me. It's trickey though... a title has to come out AND I have to write the song AND THEN get the band to learn to play it decently LIVE within a small period of time. (They won't come and record individual parts...so I need to record it live) Actually... I have to trick at least one of them because he won't participate. He won't tell me he won't...but I can just tell. So these gaps effect me in two ways. NOW, I wasn't gonna say nothin'... it's my own problem really..I should at the very least get my life in some kind of order to be able to participate. However, I fee your pain .
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

Man, you guys are something else. 9 days out of ten, there is an active SongFight! title. But you want to write a song on the tenth day. Crap. What are you going to do? Perhaps there should be a backlog list of potential titles that we MIGHT someday use. Just thinkin' out loud here. Never thought we could have such an impact on people's sorry, title-free lives. Damn. Sorry.
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

I realized that what I just posted could be taken the wrong way. What I meant to say was:

Get. A. Life.
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Spud wrote: Get. A. Life.
Is that next weeks title?
deshead
Panama

Post by deshead »

Ever get the feeling that Leaf sometimes posts just to hear himself type?
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

OHS NOES, we might not have as many entries as we could!

Wait, what?
Leaf
Jump

Post by Leaf »

deshead wrote:Ever get the feeling that Leaf sometimes posts just to hear himself type?
It's percussive.
wages
Panama
Instruments: Vocals, Rhythm Guitar
Recording Method: Zoom h4n, Audacity
Submitting as: Wages

Post by wages »

Caravan Ray wrote:
Spud wrote: Get. A. Life.
Is that next weeks title?
I always wondered how a title is born...and now I know. :)
Wages - Hoglen & Wages - The Affirmative Mention - Gawking Urethras - The EAF - and more
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

Hoblit wrote: it's my own problem really..I should at the very least get my life
Or ' A ' life! :-)
adrift in a draft
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by adrift in a draft »

a biddy biddy bump ... ba bump....
why the hell am I paying taxes anyways? 2 daze off work wit nothing to do

jeez
The good lord invented beer to keep me from taking over the world. -me
signboy
Mean Street
Instruments: things that make noise
Recording Method: lots of stuff plugged into lots of other stuff

Post by signboy »

Leaf wrote:
deshead wrote:Ever get the feeling that Leaf sometimes posts just to hear himself type?
It's percussive.
Huh. I just assumed he left "windows narrator" on all the time.
Irwin: I'd sell my soul to jesus to program drums like signboy.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Ow, the gap.
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man

Post by Jim of Seattle »

My sympathies