Songfight: 0z

All about the next annual live event. Are you coming?. Discuss travel & lodging. Recruit band members, discuss equipment, setlists, etc.
sausage boy
bono
bono
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Terrible drum machine, even worse harmonica
Recording Method: Creative Recorder, ModPlug Tracker and Audacity

Songfight: 0z

Post by sausage boy »

Ok, so Caravan Ray and I have been talking for a little bit, and we are in like minds that a Songfight Oz should be put onto the cards.

So our major concern is, how many Aussies are actually on here, and how many would attend? We basically want to open the whole thing up for discussion, where to have it, who will play, that kind of thing.

Some things we think are definate are, only Songfight songs will be allowed to be played, and you can have a set of 5 songs or 20 minutes, which ever is sorter.

What are everyones thoughts (though we 'value' the opinions of the Aussie contingent a bit more, Yank and Pommy contributions are not discounted)? We have no idea on place (venue or state) or time, but that would all depend on the interest in this puppy, really.

If anything, I expect Denyer's input to be highly valuable.
bz£
Panama

Re: Songfight: 0z

Post by bz£ »

sausage boy wrote:I expect Denyer's input to be highly valuable.
I expect that this is the first time in the history of sentences that anyone has ever composed that particular one.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

bzl wrote:
sausage boy wrote:I expect Denyer's input to be highly valuable.
I expect that this is the first time in the history of sentences that anyone has ever composed that particular one.
I think his cell-mate sometimes moans it during their more intimate moments

...but I digress. Yes - unfortunately, from my memory, we seem to have single Songfighters located in Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth - just about as far away from each other as we could possibly be. I would be quite happy to travel anywhere - except maybe Perth - I could probably get to Atlanta for not much more than it would cost me to get there.

Anyway - Adelaide has great restaurants - I'd go there for a weekend. I've been there once before without being murdered. I might be lucky again.
sausage boy
bono
bono

Post by sausage boy »

Caravan Ray wrote:Anyway - Adelaide has great restaurants - I'd go there for a weekend. I've been there once before without being murdered. I might be lucky again.
Don't worry, theres a sheet Adeladians can put friends down on so they don't get killed for a couple of days. The acid barrels will stay in the shed!

Adelaide or Melbourne would probably be the best bets. Both are fairly central (you know, for the size of this fucking country), though Melbourne would probably be vastly heftier on the pockets. Here in Adelaide, though, we are all backwards rednecks, inbreds and old farts, so a bill of 4 Songfight bands would probably rock the fuck out of this town.

Our main two things to cover would be

- how many performers/bands would there be?
- how many would there be crowd wise?

If we know we have enough interested to perform and watch, then we can see if its worth getting off our fat arses and doing something.
rone rivendale
Odie
Instruments: Electronica, nothing real
Recording Method: Fruity Loops, Goldwave
Submitting as: Rone Rivendale
Pronouns: he/him

Post by rone rivendale »

When I saw "Oz" I was hopeing it was a SF gathering in Kansas, cuz that's where I live. Darn! :D
From spoken word to actual singing, I can screw up any style with style. :D
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

sausage boy wrote: Adelaide or Melbourne would probably be the best bets.
Shame I don't still live in Mount Isa. That would be an awesome venue. Completely impractical distance-wise - but it would be an awsome venue.
Bjam
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

Post by Bjam »

Ooh, I can travel next May/June for internship, I should totally go to Australia.
Songfighter since back in the day.
jippers
A New Player

Post by jippers »

Did this idea ever float? It would be so cool for all the Aussies to get together and jam, except that I've now moved to Port Hedland, WA and that doesn't help matters...

ah the tyranny of distance...
sausage boy
bono
bono

Post by sausage boy »

ha! jippers!

*waves*

We haven't heard much, no. I expected Denyer to raise his ugly mug, but apparently talk of stepping up and meeting victims face-to-face frightens him off.

Part of the plan was to kind of organise this for way in the future, so that we could get Songfighters from all over the country. You know, book that holiday/long service leave a year in advance.

So far, though, it seems to be a bill of myself and Caravan Ray. Which, admittedly, isn't that bad of a line up. Ray can reel them in, and I can clear 'em out.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

jippers wrote:Did this idea ever float? It would be so cool for all the Aussies to get together and jam, except that I've now moved to Port Hedland, WA and that doesn't help matters...

I will go to a Songfight! Live in Port Hedland - that would be very cool. Is the detention centre still going? Can we have it there? Do you work for Big Harry's Place - or are you a terrorist with your lips sewn together?

But a Songfight live on a mine site would be cool. DongaFight!

But seriously....

Sausage Boy - this is how OzFight should work:

Make it part of the Adelaide Festival

get a load of this prick!

Caravan Sam!!?! WTF!?!

...anyway - Adelaide Fringe Festival in March 2008 - Sausage Boy, you get onto the SA Minister for the Yartz and plough your nose into that bottomless truogh of money that is Yartz Funding and make SF!SA an approved Fringe Festival event. Advertise to local Adelaide bands to take part, put it on for one night in a tent in the park at West End. Highlight of the night - Caravan Ray wrestles Caravan Sam nude in jelly. Bob's your uncle. We make a lot of money - pull a lot of chicks. It's all good.

EDIT:
That Fringe Festival site changes every time you click on it - the first time I saw it it had a bloke called Caravan Sam on it. Hope the above makes sense now.
jippers
A New Player

Post by jippers »

Caravan Ray wrote:
jippers wrote:Did this idea ever float? It would be so cool for all the Aussies to get together and jam, except that I've now moved to Port Hedland, WA and that doesn't help matters...

I will go to a Songfight! Live in Port Hedland - that would be very cool.

But a Songfight live on a mine site would be cool. DongaFight!
Hey, there's a lot of vacant land around, especially between here and Port - like out near the airport. We could do Songfight Live - Kyuss style. Rock up to a piece of empty space where there's nothing around (apart from spinifex and few kangaroos), get a few generators, turn the amps up full boar and go for it.

...and no I don't work for BHP - I teach at one of the schools. The DT centre hasn't run for a while up here, but they're thinking of re-opening it soon though...
jippers
A New Player

Post by jippers »

sausage boy wrote:ha! jippers!

*waves*
Hi Sausage Boy!!!

*waves back!*
sausage boy
bono
bono

Post by sausage boy »

Caravan Ray wrote:Sausage Boy - this is how OzFight should work:

Make it part of the Adelaide Festival

get a load of this prick!

Caravan Sam!!?! WTF!?!

...anyway - Adelaide Fringe Festival in March 2008 - Sausage Boy, you get onto the SA Minister for the Yartz and plough your nose into that bottomless truogh of money that is Yartz Funding and make SF!SA an approved Fringe Festival event. Advertise to local Adelaide bands to take part, put it on for one night in a tent in the park at West End. Highlight of the night - Caravan Ray wrestles Caravan Sam nude in jelly. Bob's your uncle. We make a lot of money - pull a lot of chicks. It's all good.
You know, its not that hard to actually get a show into the official Fringe line-up. Getting funding is another thing entirely.

In all honesty, this idea does actually have merits. On the plus side, while others are here, they would actually have something to see or do. On the negative side, harder to find somewhere to stay.

*waves frantically to jippers*
Denyer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Dunlop KT-26
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Denyer »

I never saw this thread before. I'll go to Adelaide. Maybe I will have a pie floater.
Niveous wrote:It's a song about your dick and there's just not enough material to satisfy.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

sausage boy wrote:
You know, its not that hard to actually get a show into the official Fringe line-up.
That's what I thought. The key would be to try sell the Songfight format to local musos. Tell 'em how it works, get entries - then post a title a week befor the show. Get onto SCALA. See if there is any interest in the idea amongst local songwriters (and then ideally palm it off and get them to organise it too)
sausage boy
bono
bono

Post by sausage boy »

Denyer wrote:I never saw this thread before. I'll go to Adelaide. Maybe I will have a pie floater.
They are building a tram over the top of the only place you used to be able to get a real pie floater. But there is plenty more here to do, like not get stabbed.