Who koo koo choo?

Links and other hanky panky that doesn't have to do with anything in particular.
Heather. Redmon.
Mixtral
Instruments: Vox
Submitting as: The Hell Yeahs
Pronouns: She/her

Post by Heather. Redmon. »

erik wrote:The Hell Yeahs --- "When I Saw Her Standing There"
GlennCase wrote:Hell Yeahs - Paperback Writer
We'd love to do the songs that have been suggested! It may take us some time, but since there's no deadline, that works out just fine! Thanks for the suggestions! :)
jack wrote:heather is the hardest working mom on songfight (in addition to being arguably the rockinist chick....).
Listen to our music!
j$
Gemini
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Caravan Ray wrote:
j$ wrote:
GlennCase wrote:Johnny Cashpoint - Run For Your Life
It is one of my favourite Beatles songs, anyway.
Not the way I'm doing it, I'm sure :)
fluffy
Unstable Diffusion
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

fluffy
Unstable Diffusion

Post by fluffy »

I am sorry for not listening to the songs so far but I actually only found this thread a couple days ago to begin with so I missed all the Lord of Oats explosion and so on.
<a href="http://www.glenncase.com/music/covers/g ... mp3">Glenn Case - Girl (Beatles Cover)</a>
Awesome
Pretty good but also a bit quiet to listen to.
<3 <3 <3
Dan-O from Five-O wrote:On the shameless self promotion front, I give you all (once again) Hide your love away.
That is one of my favorite Beatles songs and you have done a great version of it. Maybe even better than the original?
<a href="http://www.glenncase.com/music/covers/g ... mp3">Glenn Case - Eleanor Rigby (Beatles Cover)</a>
I'm not such a fan of this cover though it's still pretty good. It sort of loses a lot in the transition from string quartet-backed chorus piece -> G&G. (Incidentally have you ever heard the version by Troublemint? It is very good. Unfortunately their site seems to have disappeared forever and ever.)
what the fuck is this
Dan-O from Five-O
Claude
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Drums, Mandolin all graded on a sliding scale
Recording Method: Mixer to a Fostex D-160

Post by Dan-O from Five-O »

GlennCase wrote:Dan-O from Five-O - I Me Mine

The reason: You sound like you have the guitar chops to pull off some good Harrison-esque moments, and I'd like to hear how you would tackle those bad-ass dynamic switches that exist in the original. (You've got the blues angle covered nicely, as "Can't Take Our Love Away" demonstrates.)
My compliments Glenn. Having lived the role of George’s part in the Beatles to some extent in various bands and being a huge fan of his anyway, I will gladly accept this challenge.
GlennCase wrote: (Note: "I'm Warning You" is a pretty cool song.)
fluffy wrote:
Dan-O from Five-O wrote:On the shameless self promotion front, I give you all (once again) Hide your love away.
That is one of my favorite Beatles songs and you have done a great version of it. Maybe even better than the original?
Maybe it’s time to cash in my chips folks, I just received two of the best compliments that have ever been given to me on SongFight! in the same thread. And both by people I have a lot of respect for. First of all Fluffy, that’s one of my favorite Beatles songs as well, that’s why I did it. But it wouldn’t have been possible if not for another Songfighter, LMNOP, and another friend we’ll just call Dave. They’re the ones who made the song with their backing vocals and harmonized flute playing.

Secondly, just the fact that Glenn is going through people’s archives and getting a feel for their music and making recommendations based on his listening is probably the most awesome aspect of SongFight! I’ve ever encountered, but to have him say that he thought one of my songs was “pretty cool” is seriously flattering.

Thanks a lot to both of you. BTW, is this going to become some sort of "official" coverfight JB / SPUD?

Regardless, I will have my assignment in as quick as I can.
jb wrote:Dan-O has a point.
JB
GlennCase
Grok
Instruments: Yes
Recording Method: Incorrect methods
Submitting as: Glenn Case
Pronouns: he/him

Post by GlennCase »

You are on the right track. This is honestly one of the best vocal performances I have ever heard from you.
jolly roger wrote:I'm definitely considering this, but I have no access to the Buffalo Bill song that Glenn suggested for me. Maybe I'll just make up my own mind and play a song I know.
Get your hands on a copy of the White Album as soon as possible. It might change your life.

ROCK!

Glenn Case
fluffy
Unstable Diffusion

Post by fluffy »

GlennCase wrote:
You are on the right track. This is honestly one of the best vocal performances I have ever heard from you.
Thanks. When I haven't been songfighting I've been practicing my singing. A lot. (Karaoke!)
Märk
DALL-E
Instruments: Guitar, bass
Recording Method: Presonus Audiobox 44VSL, Cubase
Submitting as: ROTR, svenmullet, I forget what else
Pronouns: master

Post by Märk »

Glenn, I just have to say it never ceases to amaze me how much your voice sounds like Craig Northey. (or is it Steven Drake?) Are you two related?
* this is not a disclaimer
Reist
Stable Diffusion
Instruments: Drums, Guitar
Recording Method: Yamaha AW1600, Reaper
Submitting as: Therman

Post by Reist »

GlennCase wrote:
jolly roger wrote:I'm definitely considering this, but I have no access to the Buffalo Bill song that Glenn suggested for me. Maybe I'll just make up my own mind and play a song I know.
Get your hands on a copy of the White Album as soon as possible. It might change your life.
Hey - turns out my brother has the White Album. I went through the song a bunch of times and picked out the power chords for that song. I'm not sure if I can do the song justice though. I might record a cover, and I might not. For the record, I played through 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps' many times (for about an hour), trying to figure out George Harrison's licks. Man ... that was an experience. I'm going to have to mess around with more Beatles' music - I really enjoyed that.
Lord of Oats
Grok

Post by Lord of Oats »

jolly roger wrote:For the record, I played through 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps' many times (for about an hour), trying to figure out George Harrison's licks.
Actually, Eric Clapton played lead guitar on that track. Unless you mean George's rhythm guitar licks, which just aren't a big deal. In fact, nobody calls those licks. Those are chords. George said that bringing Clapton in made the rest of the Beatles take his song more seriously, and allowed them to get a good recording. I believe Paul played piano and John played bass. And Ringo, of course, played drums. That was kind of his thing. I'm telling you this from memory, so I could be wrong. But I'm almost certain that Ringo played the drums.

Interestingly, Paul played drums when he pissed off Ringo. I remember reading that back in the USSR was Paul on drums, John on bass, and George on guitar. Though Paul was very bossy about the guitar parts, and wouldn't give George any room. Though I suppose George knew how to deal with it, unlike Ringo, who had walked out after being told how to play his drum parts one too many times. But again, I could be wrong. It's been a while since I've read Beatles history.

In conclusion, everybody hates Paul.
fluffy
Unstable Diffusion

Post by fluffy »

And yet Yoko gets all the blame.
Märk
DALL-E
Instruments: Guitar, bass
Recording Method: Presonus Audiobox 44VSL, Cubase
Submitting as: ROTR, svenmullet, I forget what else
Pronouns: master

Post by Märk »

John was once asked in an interview if Ringo is the best drummer in the world, to which he replied "...he's not even the best drummer in this band!"

Also, I think the guitar solo in WMGGW is perhaps the worst guitar solo ever recorded. It sounds like the tape got stretched or something, as well as just really sucking. Also, I hate Eric Clapton very much.
* this is not a disclaimer
Lord of Oats
Grok

Post by Lord of Oats »

Spud wrote:
Lord of Oats wrote:I've never actually recorded a cover song, and I have very close to no grasp of vocal harmony. Jeez, I don't know what I was thinking, wanting to be included in this Beatles thing...
I felt the same way when Octothorpe signed up for Cover Fight No. 1. I immediately figured out that we were in way over our heads. We were assigned Duboce Triangle, and we picked <a href="http://www.songfight.org/music/tracks_f ... .mp3">this song</a> as having some potential for our treatment. Hardest thing I ever did in my life. However, also one of the most worthwhile. There is nothing that improves your songwriting skills (mine, anyway), than deconstructing someone else's stuff. We don't do a lot of covers, but every one is a really big learning experience. Especially covering other songfighters, where you usually can't look up charts or tabs. By the way, <a href="http://www.aaronondek.com/cover/CF00/Oc ... here</a>'s what we came up with. We ended up re-writing some lyrics and replacing the big space warp in the middle with a less atonal synth solo to bring it into the Octo genre. There are a few other differences as well. :)
Well, first off, thank you for the encouragement. Furthermore, nice job not butchering that song I know nothing about...err...you definitely gave it the Octothorpe signature sound. Which I like. And there's one of my problems. Not having a signature sound. I believe I mentioned that. I also don't have any people around to help me. I think a band is at a comparative advantage over a solo artist. Then again, I was able to find sheet music. So maybe covering Duboce Triangle is just harder than covering the Beatles, for that reason. Then again, I can't really read music...

So yeah. This is a toughie. I have no idea when this is going to get done. I've been having quite an epic battle with depression, lately. When I feel up to working on stuff, Beatles covers, reviews, writing on here at all, et cetera are taking a back seat to the fights with deadlines and doing things that might have a chance of improving my circumstances.

In any case, both of those songs are going in my collection. I'm not sure which I like more, but I'm leaning toward yours. (I could be mistaken, but I don't believe I heard anything about cheese in the original. Bonus points for cheese.) Also, I heard one of the synths play a lick that seems to make it's way into just about all of my guitar solos. I'm not sure about the timeline, but this was probably recorded before I even started playing guitar, so I guess my signature move was accidentally stolen from your stuff. That's a bummer. Especially if it's your signature thing too. Unless I join. Then it'd be like...synergy. Well, actually, it's pretty lame if a simple major descending figure that's been used a thousand times is one's "signature." I don't know what I was doing calling it that. Bah. In any case, I would actually like to work with Octothorpe, in whatever capacity is feasible, as soon as I'm deemed a worthy musical force. Is there some kind of express lane for qualification? I've missed any contests you may have had in the past or whatever. Let me know about that.
Ross
DALL-E
Instruments: Guitar, Vox, Bass, Tuned glasses, etc...
Recording Method: Logic on a Macbook.
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Ross »

jolly roger wrote:
GlennCase wrote:
Hey - turns out my brother has the White Album. I went through the song a bunch of times and picked out the power chords for that song.
Power chords for Bungalo Bill - ouch!
"I don't like this song, but at least it's good." - veGetar Ianra Ge
http://www.rossdurandmusic.com
Lord of Oats
Grok

Post by Lord of Oats »

fluffy wrote:And yet Yoko gets all the blame.
Apparently, Paul's a dick. Okay, whatever. But I don't think Yoko's a saint. Plus, she's totally unattractive.

I read somewhere that Paul tried to change the credit for the songs he wrote to McCartney and Lennon, instead of Lennon and McCartney, and Yoko through some huge fit, and threatened legal action, or maybe even pursued some, or whatever it took, until Paul just gave up on the idea and apologized and went home. What kind of shit is that? Is that not a reasonable thing to do? I mean, they had their agreement, and whatever, but is that such a bad thing? I don't see how it's some kind of dishonor to John, if he wasn't the primary composer of the song. I just don't see why they didn't do that from the start. Why is John first, anyway? Paul was, after all, the more commercially successful songwriter, and the more competent instrumentalist. Which is, I suppose, still no excuse to be a dick. I just don't think that's really such a dickesque move on his part as Yoko was trying to make it out to be. This was like...maybe two years ago? Maybe a little more or less. Can you believe they're still fighting about this shit? I don't see what the big deal is, to either one of them.
fluffy
Unstable Diffusion

Post by fluffy »

I think you take these things too personally.

All I'm sayin' is that Yoko gets the blame for breaking up the Beatles (due to fighting with Paul) when really it was everyone pissed at Paul, not just Yoko and Paul fighting. I wasn't saying anything about Yoko being wonderful or anything, just that she's not wholly at fault for something that happened nearly 30 years ago. But, hey, people still think Columbus was out to prove that the world was round.

You don't need a signature sound. Do I have a signature sound? I sure hope not.
Spud
Stable Diffusion
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Spud »

Octothorpe only has a signature sound by accident. We don't know any better.
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
Lord of Oats
Grok

Post by Lord of Oats »

I don't think I took anything personally. I just like yelling at people. :wink: I can't really control the way my words come off here, that's all.

It wasn't any one thing that broke up the Beatles. It was everything. The same thing that put the Beatles together in the first place is the thing that broke them up: circumstance. Our society likes to blame one thing or one person, and that's just not the way it works. A lot of people reach a point when they can't get along anymore, and it's not necessarily anyone's fault. Yoko gets a lot of shit, but I think Paul gets a pretty fair amount himself. Maybe we should look at John a little bit more. Another thing our society does that doesn't make any sense is respect people and not say anything bad about them just because they've died. Ben Gibbard makes a pretty compelling case for that. I don't think it's fair for us to try to decide who was more of a dick than anyone else involved. We can't really know what everyone was going through at the time. Your side, mine, and the truth, right? All we have are a bunch of subjective accounts. I can see why the Sophists said that truth didn't fundamentally exist, and that even if it did, it could never be known. Anyway, I'm getting a bit too philosophical for a discussion of silly fighting Beatles.

I don't feel like I necessarily need a signature sound, however nice it might be. But I do think I'd like to be part of a band that does. Or several bands, each with their own. Hey, you joined Octothorpe. What was the audition like?
Lord of Oats
Grok

Post by Lord of Oats »

Spud wrote:Octothorpe only has a signature sound by accident. We don't know any better.
Well, that's actually the proper way to develop a sound. Circumstance is an overlooked artistic force. Using what you've got at your disposal makes for artistic purity, and builds resourcefulness. Many of the great styles of music were created that way.
Lord of Oats
Grok

Post by Lord of Oats »

Sven wrote:John was once asked in an interview if Ringo is the best drummer in the world, to which he replied "...he's not even the best drummer in this band!"

Also, I think the guitar solo in WMGGW is perhaps the worst guitar solo ever recorded. It sounds like the tape got stretched or something, as well as just really sucking. Also, I hate Eric Clapton very much.
Ringo really deserves more credit for some things, and less for others. I think his drumming is pretty solid. He was an early proponent of the back beat. As far as I know, he's basically the godfather of rock drumming. He set all the standards for rock drummers. Arguably, some were set too low. He never showed much in the way of being a songwriter, and wasn't part of the Beatles harmony team, despite singing lead once in a while, or more rarely, contributing a song. As a result, drummers these days rarely make a lot of musical contributions, or even know theory, and don't sing very often or very well. The standard being set where it was, someone like Dave Grohl looks very impressive. Not only is he arguably a better drummer than Ringo, he does some other things too, and quite well. You know, like fronting a hugely successful band. But then he still gets drum gigs like nuts. (Tenacious D, QOTSA, NIN, anyone?) But not everyone can be a badass like that. A nice thing about music is you can do as much or as little as you want to do. I only began to learn to sing and play drums when I realized that I didn't have a band, and wouldn't have one in the foreseeable future, and that nobody wanted to listen to rock instrumentals that didn't even feature a full rock band. But I think it's nice to be versatile.

As far as the solo goes, I believe they put it through the automatic double track, at Clapton's suggestion, because it "didn't sound Beatley enough" at first. That's probably why it sounds all wobbly and gross to you. That said, it is by no means the worst ever. It doesn't stand out as great, but at least its coherent. There are a ton of worse solos out there. Listen to some grunge or something. But if you don't like Clapton, I guess you don't.
fluffy
Unstable Diffusion

Post by fluffy »

Hey, you joined Octothorpe. What was the audition like?
For Spud, it was something like, "Hey, Maddog and Stubs, we should start a band."

For me, it was something like, "Hey, Spud, guess who's moving to Seattle?!" "I dunno, JB?" "No, me!"

Then later on, when I moved from guitar to drums, it was something like, "Man, we're losing the crowd. When's that drummer going to show up?" "Fuck this, we need drums more than guitar."
Lord of Oats
Grok

Post by Lord of Oats »

fluffy wrote:
Hey, you joined Octothorpe. What was the audition like?
For Spud, it was something like, "Hey, Maddog and Stubs, we should start a band."

For me, it was something like, "Hey, Spud, guess who's moving to Seattle?!" "I dunno, JB?" "No, me!"

Then later on, when I moved from guitar to drums, it was something like, "Man, we're losing the crowd. When's that drummer going to show up?" "Fuck this, we need drums more than guitar."
Yeah, I was talking to you. I didn't use quote because I didn't know Spud was secretly writing a quick comment while I was being rambly, and you seemed to show a slight disdain for quoting, and I tend to mirror behavior, for some reason. I foolishly thought everything would be okay.

In any case, stuff like this is probably one of the reasons I'm attracted to this band. Sounds like my kind of decision-making. With any luck, I will move to Seattle, or somewhere close, within as short a period of time as is possible. Which means...there's plenty of time to make arrangements. There are like...open auditions for songfighters, right? I won't cry if that's not the case. I'm not necessarily looking into becoming a full-fledged member. But, uh, no rush either way.