My Darling Reviews

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Lord of Oats
Grok

Post by Lord of Oats »

Dude, I don't know. That's why I was asking.

It really depends on the context. Like, what kind of drum machine. If someone says you sound like a TR-808, and you played acoustic drums, you've got some wicked studio skills. If somebody says you sound like a sequence of sampled sounds, it means, you might actually be a robot, but probably with pretty good mic technique, since sound samples are usually made by pros. But look. I have no idea. You're a good drummer and a good audio engineer. I just thought it sounded like you playing drums. Which is great. I want you in my band.
Lord of Oats
Grok

Post by Lord of Oats »

Sven wrote:The drum mix JR sent me was really good. If anyone dropped the ball on mixing the song, it was me. Stop posting crap just to get your post count up, LoO.
I was in no way commenting on the song. I was posing a philosophical question. Don't accuse me of doing things I'm not doing. Of what value to me is a high post count?
Märk
DALL-E
Instruments: Guitar, bass
Recording Method: Presonus Audiobox 44VSL, Cubase
Submitting as: ROTR, svenmullet, I forget what else
Pronouns: master

Post by Märk »

Lord of Oats wrote:
Sven wrote:The drum mix JR sent me was really good. If anyone dropped the ball on mixing the song, it was me. Stop posting crap just to get your post count up, LoO.
I was in no way commenting on the song. I was posing a philosophical question. Don't accuse me of doing things I'm not doing. Of what value to me is a high post count?
How the hell would I know? You've only been here like 3 weeks, and have over 300 posts. It took me like 6 months to get that, and I'm a pretty wordy guy usually.
[edit] nah, scratch that- I only have 800 and some now, and I've been here 3 years.
It's not a post-count competition
* this is not a disclaimer
Lord of Oats
Grok

Post by Lord of Oats »

Sven wrote:It's not a post-count competition
That's all I was saying. I am pretty verbose, I'll give you that. But it's not because I'm trying to be. If it were a post-count competition, I'd be writing about stuff I'm not even interested in discussing, and writing a lot less per post. That is, if it were possible for me to make a concise post.
Spud
Stable Diffusion
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Spud »

TIME IS UP. VOTE, PEOPLE.

SPUD
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
roymond
Gemini
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

Yipes!

This was difficult. Add, Melvin, MSP, Sven...especially Sven, whose song played OVER AND OVER in my head all week :)

But Spinlock got my vote. Something about the dynamics and the 80's reverb ruler smacks.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
Hoblit
Stable Diffusion
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

Acid Cadilack: Not really digging it. The vocals are out of tune and aren't in a good enough rhythm to make up for it. The lyrics aren't all that great either. Some of the guitar work is ok but as an overall project, just not working for me.
<b>
ADD: I voted for you. This song is very nice. I really like the persistant candy guitar. I love the lyrics and the vocal style is as always, excellent. You hit every note while your voice just sways all over the place. Its a great blend of being lazy, acting, and actually singing. I too didn't like the big yet slow finish as much as the rest of the song. While it certainly isn't a deal breaker it does cut up the mementum of the song overall. Great job on this though. This is pro indie right here.
</b>
DownWG: Not my thing but I don't think its bad though. I can't necessarily get into this but it does sound like some decent effort was put into it and I can dig that. I can hear a decent production and it sounds like something I might come across on internet radio somewhere. Its like the killers meets Kompressor or something. Not bad.

EmbersOttoman: The intro is top notch. I love the guitars and I'm thinking I'm about to go on a nice soft ride. I'm not crazy about the vocal styling and I think it's off key a lot of the time. I don't think it ruins the song though. I kind of like the passion in those vocals. The lyrics aren't all that different from Acid-C's theme. Overall I think there could be some improvements to the vocal track but I think I like it all right enough. Good work on creating an atmosphere.

Strangers: This reminds me of early Lou Reed post VU. Maybe a little Alt Country Steve Earle in there. Not bad. Obviously production wise you'll need to get the volume jacked up on it. The monotone vocal style can get old but hey I don't recommend singing any which way that is uncomfortable or not possible for your vocal style. I would have loved to have heard some really reverbed background screaming along with 'my darling ruin'. For a second I thought I did and listened again and didn't hear it. That would have totally sold the song on me.

Joblito: I could have used another verse and maybe a bridge.

LevelNevel: Ignoring obvious production issues with volume and recording quality...I still can't get into it. Actually, its hard to ignore those problems because they retract from what I can actually hear clearly. I'd say that the performance both guitar and vocals could use a little more developing. We only have a week right? This is based loosely on what I can actually hear though.

Destroy: I kind of like the intro but its all downhill from there. I think you could have gotten away with the vocal style if the mix had been better. The guitars needed to come up so that the vocals were part of that song. The acting in the vocals are pretty terrible. I'm assuming thats on purpose though. Again, if those vocals were mixed better with the guitar..there'd be a little punk rock going on there. However, overall this song just isn't doin' it for me. It DOES sound like you tried and did have fun doing it.

Lord of the Oat: This is alright. The vocals could use a little improvement and maybe just a little more variety. (I'm guilty of the same problem this fight) I hear a good song being restrained by lack of variety in melody and change. Decent production and I do like the clumbsy guitar solo. All heart and not any technical proficiency. I can hear that you tried and put forth effort and if you continue to do so you will only improve. I think this song could use that improvement but I'm not going to be too critical as it appears you are already addressing these things. Keep practicing and improve your overall performance musically and vocally.

MC clerick: Real drums or pads? They certainly don't sound 'exact' from a drum machine. I did not like this song lyrically, musically, or vocally. You'll need to spend a little more time developing songs. This sounds like the rough draft of an idea and not an all out song.

StelvinMelvin: VERY PRETTY. Reminds me of late night college radio. Lazy and pretty. The lyrics are warm and fuzzy and blend very well with the guitar tone. The drums come in just in time and are just as soft and cushy as the rest of the bed of music. The keys add a nice nuance helping solidify a comfortable atmosphere. I like how tight this song is along its very very loose flow. It all comes together very well and I believe is one of the best songs this fight. Great job and I look forward to hearing more from you in the future.

MSP: ANOTHER GREAT TUNE THIS WEEK. You almost beat out ADD for my vote. It probably doesn't help you that I actually know Jeff a little. You sir have a great voice with excellent control. Your talent is obvious in this song as layer and layer of music is well balanced in a perfect performance. You and ADD both deserve the win. You remind me a little of Stateshirt in the sheer amount of tracks in one song. Alot of your harmonies are the same too. Lots of action on the drums and plenty of guitar layers along with just amount of echo on the vocals at just the right places. Your voice sounds like you have had theater training. Good work and I'll be sneaking this into my regular mix of music here at work.

Math: Your song is also among the best this fight. I'm not the biggest ska fan but you just came along at a time when my band has been playing with this other band called Johnny Cakes at shows lately. They have horns and electric guitars and ska overtones...so it's right on time. I like your lyrics and musical performances complete with speed changes and everything. I think the vocals could have used just a bit more variety but then I think it makes the guitar solo work better this way. Great song and thank you for putting forth effort that makes a truly listenable song.

RwB: Not really getting into it. It doesn't help that you just followed three of the best songs in the fight. I think the performance lacks in guitar accuracy and vocal styling. The harmonica is just there to annoy the listener. The effected 'thing' in the center is completely out of place. However, with all that said, it does sound like you worked hard and I can appreciate that. Maybe I'll like soemthing else you do later down the road.

Anti-Roy: STRANGE. At first I was afraid. (then petrified?) This song is spooky and I can totally dig on the atmosphere. It's like spacy jazz. Like a drunk Incubus. (the band) I like the virbrato vocals over the creepy male. The lyrics are interesting and remind me of something a writer (like a novelist) might write about himself in a downward spiral. (just days before suicide?) I like the dramatic touches and dynamics of this song. If those weren't there then it would endanger the song to being redundant without enough variety in melody. But that doesn't happen. Good song, good work.

Spinlock: Totally cool. Reminds me of a top hit in the 80's. I picture you in a black and white over sized checkered blazer playing a candy apple red guitar that matches your hair. I love when music draws imagery. The vocals are great and perfectly dramatic when they have to be. The lyrics are alright but I think you sell them with your vocal rhythms and act. Another good song amongst a pretty good fight. Keep up the good work. (the rest of the performance musically was spot on too btw)

Smullet: You are definitely guilty of having 'a sound'. I knew it was you immediately without having to look. I like the smooth flow of this song and the tonal qualities of your fuzzy electric guitar chords. Your vocals are relaxing over that bed of slamming cymbals and angry guitar during chorus/bridge part. I could have listened to this piece for another 30 seconds at least.

Tweaksuite: This is pretty good. Its all about the atmosphere in this one. This reminds me of something that would be on a Pink Floyd record, on one of the more theatric ones. Its got somber guitar and pleading vocals. It should be a lament near the end of a play. Decent song.

obsativaindica: I didn't get to listen to this one as much as the others in the fight for obvious reasons. Its a shame too because it would be among the better ones improving the fight that much more. I like how you go for the dramatic atmosphere and almost always get it. This one is no different and the dynamics really sell it. I also like how you are selling your vocals here too. You know your strengths and weaknesses and seem to be playing with new ways to emphasise the strengths and downplay the weaknesses. Great production and I love all of the dynamic nuances.
roymond
Gemini
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

Hoblit wrote:Anti-Roy: STRANGE.
Thats all I can hope for sometimes. Thanks :)
Hoblit wrote:This song is spooky and I can totally dig on the atmosphere. It's like spacy jazz. Like a drunk Incubus. (the band) I like the virbrato vocals over the creepy male.
That's more than I can hope for.
Hoblit wrote:The lyrics are interesting and remind me of something a writer (like a novelist) might write about himself in a downward spiral. (just days before suicide?)
Not quite sure how to take this. Maybe we need to wait a couple days?

Thanks for the feedback, Hobs. Really appreciate it!
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
spinlock
Alpaca

Post by spinlock »

Had a go at 2 person audio reviews, but the quality was pretty low. I'll post em when I've got em split up into chunks. I voted for Level Nivelo, cos I loved the lyrics, not sure who Xan voted for in the end, possibly Weakest Suit.

Thanks for the reviews, and the performance advice :D
No vocal samples in the song, just recordings.
MSP
A New Player

Post by MSP »

Congrats ADD! It was a good tune, next time I'm shooting to be 1 vote better so I can get a tie :)
"ummm, yeah....let's take it up an octave & leave it out"
Hoblit
Stable Diffusion

Post by Hoblit »

MSP wrote:Congrats ADD! It was a good tune, next time I'm shooting to be 1 vote better so I can get a tie :)
See...now I feel totally responsible for you losing.

I'm not going to be able to live with myself.

*single gun shot.
anti-m
Grok
Submitting as: Anti-m, Jeplexe

Post by anti-m »

This fight was really excellent! I voted on the winning horse, too!

I'm delinquent in two fights for reviews now... I'd best get off my ass soon.
roymond
Gemini

Post by roymond »

Hoblit wrote:
MSP wrote:Congrats ADD! It was a good tune, next time I'm shooting to be 1 vote better so I can get a tie :)
No, you're responsible for us losing! I didn't understand what RFA-M meant until I went to the votes page and now I see that Hoblit forgot to help us out here ;)

But Add was awesome this week, and any time an extended format song wins it's a good thing.
Hoblit
Stable Diffusion

Post by Hoblit »

roymond wrote:
Hoblit wrote:
No, you're responsible for us losing! I didn't understand what RFA-M meant until I went to the votes page and now I see that Hoblit forgot to help us out here ;)

But Add was awesome this week, and any time an extended format song wins it's a good thing.
Lordy... just stack on the guilt already.

*walks off to fasten noose to rafter
Sick and Wrong
Llama

Post by Sick and Wrong »

C'mon. Do it.
(NOT a reference to the noose thing... )
...what?