Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Nur Ein V: Round 4

Post by JonPorobil »

jb wrote:
Niveous wrote:Hey folks.

We all know the deal by now. One late judge. (And it's a super close race too.)

Gonna post the next challenge while we wait.
It's the same judge every time. Sorry everybody. My votes are in.

JB
Hope everything's okay with you and yours.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
MintyHandy
Mean Street
Instruments: None
Recording Method: None

Post by MintyHandy »

Seconded. Hope all's well.

and frankly having the next round's title and challenge to work on, whether in it or not, really takes the edge off of waiting, so no worries
Ross
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Vox, Bass, Tuned glasses, etc...
Recording Method: Logic on a Macbook.
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Ross »

Ok, with all judges posting, here's what my math says:

39 - Christopher Cogott
36 - Boop Boop
30 - Minty Handy
29 - Milo
24 - Berkeley Social Scene
22 - BLT
19 - Jon Eric
13 - Who Fly, Sid Denison et.al.

So DJ Ranger Den, Who Fly and Sid Denison are eliminated, the rest of you can fight on into round five.
"I don't like this song, but at least it's good." - veGetar Ianra Ge
http://www.rossdurandmusic.com
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

Ross beat me to the punch.

Chris Cogott wins Round #4.
Who Fly, Sid Denison and DJ Ranger Den have been eliminated.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

It's the 4th Round and this is the time where our konkurrenz begin to really feel the grind of the Nur Ein. Nur Ein I saw "Like a Villain" crush Deshead, Ross, Tex Beaumont and Thornberry with Glenn Case, Jim Tyrrell & Ken Mahru all narrowly avoiding elimination by 2 points. In Nur Ein II, we took away the guitars for "No One Else". It may have produced two of my all time Nur Ein faves (Abominominous & Merisan), it crushed Ross, Paco, the BeWells & Thank Glennny for the Frisbee. Triple Tempos and "Ties of Blood and Water" made for a tough 4th Round in Nur Ein III that took out ADD, Adam Adamant, BLT and Bryan Kandel and nearly took out 4 others. And last year's 4th Round had lyrics in sonnet form. "What Was Once Grand" was the final stand for Jon Eric, Paco, Signboy & Nouveau Pauvre. 4th Round is a tough place. How did this group do with "Not in this Lifetime" and the sample challenge? It already claimed DJ Ranger Den, sorry to see you go. What two bands will follow?

Minty Handy- I remember when I used to just think of Minty Handy as the uke guy. I like the piano sounds. The sample is in there but essentially, it's just a fill. It's an okay usage, not great. The vocals need some emotion. When the background vocals kick in with a little more punch, you get the feeling of how flat the delivery is. Overall, it's a decent song. It took me about 5 listens to really get a feel for it. It's not the catchiest song but it's solid.

Who Fly- Thank goodness for good headphones. I listened to this the first time on a crappy pair and I lost so much of the lyrics to the odd production. Now I can get the lyrics but still the production is awfullt distracting. I'm all for experimentation but the repeated dropouts can be quite grating. Nice use of the sample. That's kind of what I would've done with it if I was doing the challenge. Getting past the distraction, this has some Animal Collective charm but it doesn't really go anywhere. It's very short and lacks anything really dynamic to catch the listener.

Therman: Andrew Reist celebrates his 3rd ever round victory by taking the sample and having some experimental fun and putting it under a power rock ballad. The two things seem completely detached from each other. The soundscape does not add to the ballad in any way, shape or form. The ballad half is bland generic stuff that you'd get from Finger Eleven, Theory of a Deadman or <insert generic rock band here>. But Therman is immune and enjoying it. I wouldn't listen to this song if it weren't a part of this competition.

Jon Eric: Here's a fun game. If you know the Green Day song "Hitchin' a Ride", you can sing the verses along with Jon Eric's verses. :P . Okay, the sample is there and it took a lot of listens to catch it in the mix. That being said, the sample really doesn't impact this in the slighest. The piano riff that drives this is okay, not great. The vocals are pitchy, especially on high notes. This song is alright. Not great by any leap of the imagination, but it's alright. Perhaps this will be my middle ground for the round? (except there are some other middle of the road songs in this round as well.)

BSS: The Scene do the risky strategy by benching this star player Erin Lyman this round and pitch singing in her place is Glennny. There is no such thing as less is more in the land of BSS is there? Let's look at the opening of the song. One guitar opens, a second follows and a third is layered over that, add in the drums and the bass and you've already got a lot going on. I have to commend them for being able to do that and still score a chorus hook. I dig the nickel or dime line.
I love how the sample becomes a breakdown for the song. Some of the lyrical choices are suspect and there is just so much going on by the end that I felt sonically overwhelmed. Still, this is one of the better songs of the round. I would also be remiss if I didn't mention some great guitar playing, but I often feel like it's beating a dead horse. BSS and strong guitar playing is the norm.

The Harpooners: Oh look, it starts with a skit and that's where the sample is and used like an ice cream truck jingle. That's the world use of the sample so far. Sid then plows through some punk. I guess this supposed to be some sort of rabble rouser anthem. It's full of expletives and I guess that's supposed to drive it all home that this is a song of rebellion. I believe that curses can be used well in songs but when you over use them, they lose all their potentcy. The latter is the case here. This is mostly chorus and that has the punch of a small child having a temper tantrum. I think this failed to meet its mark.

BLT: I think BLT is running out of steam. This is essentially an amalgam of the previous entries from him. It brought back Steve Durand from last round. It's got the whispering from "Stranded". It's again about some woman that's given him an erection. Same old song this round. The chorus is as boring as it could get and the sample as the solo was just plain messy. It's not a terrible song. I'm just bored.

Milo Dunderville: Solid performance out of Milo with a great vocal performance driving this song along. I like the use of the sample and it sets the dreary tone of this song. I like that the song is based around this object, the mandolin, but the story in the song is hard to follow. Let me attempt to get this straight: The narrator speaks to his children about Doc dying from cancer and then laments that he'll never learn mandolin. The narrator says tells his oldest child to take his grandfather's mandolin. Again there's a lament over never learning to play and it could be the grandfather's or just a reiteration of the narrator's. Then there's a mention of the children's mother who died and then the narrator dies and plays her the mandolin in heaven. Milo really needed to pick a part of the story and run with it. Instead the lyrics are all over the place. Thankfully the aforementioned solic performance helps pull this through.

Boop Boop: I love the lyrics to this. The simple "You can't do it all/ Not in this lifetime" chorus is catchy (as it's been stuck with me since the first listen). I'm not usually this forward in these reviews but this is clearly my favorite song in this round, and it makes me feel very lucky that I'm a New Yorker (at least part time) because that means there's a chance I can go see Ben in concert and he could play this (if he plays Boop Boop songs in concert). Well performed and a lot of fun. The mix is flawed and a bit muddy but overall, this is exceptional and will get many spins from me after this Nur Ein is done.

Chris Cogott: Not bad at all. The chorus is not really much of a chorus but I like the delivery here. Chris is really putting some punch behind his vocals. The guitar solo goes on a little longer than I expected and I don't mind that one bit. The guitar work in this is very well done. The verses are the weakest part of this song. The choruses are delivered with such great energy that the verses don't match. They are almost at the point where Cogott could've done them as spoken word (which would've been tragic). Still, he did an excellent job and put together one of the better songs of this round.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Hooray!!!!!

I'm free!!! FREE!!!!!!!
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Niveous wrote:This is mostly chorus and that has the punch of a small child having a temper tantrum. I think this failed to meet its mark.
I think you hit the nail on the head - and hence, it hit its mark perfectly!
Ross
Jump

Post by Ross »

Niveous wrote:Ross beat me to the punch.

Chris Cogott wins Round #4.
Who Fly, Sid Denison and DJ Ranger Den have been eliminated.
Sorry Niv, didn't mean to beat any punches, just trying to help get the information out there.
Reist
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Drums, Guitar
Recording Method: Yamaha AW1600, Reaper
Submitting as: Therman

Post by Reist »

Niveous wrote:Therman: Andrew Reist celebrates his 3rd ever round victory by taking the sample and having some experimental fun and putting it under a power rock ballad. The two things seem completely detached from each other. The soundscape does not add to the ballad in any way, shape or form. The ballad half is bland generic stuff that you'd get from Finger Eleven, Theory of a Deadman or <insert generic rock band here>. But Therman is immune and enjoying it. I wouldn't listen to this song if it weren't a part of this competition.
Ouch. If it makes any difference, the song is from the perspective of an old man whose wife died, as an attempt to avoid writing a typical "I love you" song. And the sample completely inspired the song, so that was all the connection I really cared about. Thanks for listening though, and I'll try to bring my A game next round.

but theory of a deadman? god damn, that's harsh.
Ross
Jump

Post by Ross »

these songs are all basically strong and each seems to succeed at what it sounds like it set out to do, so I will be mainly commenting here on the factors that would have pushed this up or down the list for me.

Chris Cogott - love the droning groove. (i suppose that was implied by the sample), and I like the way you place the beat within the sample. Production wise everything is in place. If you make the final round this is the type of A game you should bring.

Boop Boop - Good sample use, did you layer it a la steve reich? that’s what I would have done, some cool phasing effects available.
The first line didn’t get me, but as the song went on it made more sense. I wish this sounded more authentic vocally - some of it sounds like a send-up of the style than the actual style itself. and a bit of the vocal layering was overdone for me, like you could have used an extra degree of external editing. nice take and I like what you were going for. got 90%of it. ending much too long, the repetitions make it sound like you are stretching to make up for a song that wasn’t there, but it was, no need to stretch.

BLT - The guitar/horn counterpoint is excellent. Your vocal is lying well in this one. the sample seems sort of thrown in, and doesn’t seem to be fitting in rhythmically especially well. The words are bunch of nothing, but that even seems to fit with the overall feel of the RnB rock tune. Very solid

Minty Handy - I like the way you use the sample for color. This song is solid, but never goes PUNCH, it just toodles along. Doesn’t seem to have much to say. I think I heard a kid in the background around 1:36, that was fun. I guess the arrangement just needed more. A few good lines “something we never found.” The vocals just sound way too controlled, as well

sid denison - perfect for what it is - totally skirted the sample - this puts you down a few in my book. and yet it played an important thematic element - hmm. the lyrics are a bit repetitive even for this, but hmm. How to rate a song that is about telling the judges to f- off :-) ?

BSS - something about this doesn’t flow for me too well, something about the way the lyrics unfolded and the melodic structure in the chorus. I like the interplay with the sample. and I get the title take, but even that wording seems a little forced and/or awkward.

Jon Eric - your stuff often has a slightly frantic feeling to it. It seems like it’s just part of what you do, but I wish you could back off the top of the beat just a little and let the song settle in. This song is an example of that. Your voice is just a little outside at some points, here. This song just kinda goes past me, some nice lines, but nothing pulling me in, and it just rushed past. The music box part with the sample is nice.

Milo - So many good ideas here, and yet it didn’t come together for me. Kind of like a pot luck where everyone brings a great dish, but they don’t go well on a single plate. The mandolin thing in particular seems forced in both concept and lyric. I really like a good character study and story, but.. I don’t know. I just didn’t quite believe it, but I wanted to, I really did - you know me, folky and all. nice use of the sample.

who fly - some strange effects going on in the mix/groove. Did you do multiple speedups of the sample? If not, I enjoyed how you layered some counterpoint that seemed clearly based on it. In the end however, this went in one ear and out the other for me.

Therman - Some interesting sonic ideas here, but at this point in the ein, sound overall isn’t gonna do it for me. Good thing you were immune.
MintyHandy
Mean Street
Instruments: None
Recording Method: None

Post by MintyHandy »

Sid, even though you're gone, you're not gonna stop giving me shit, are you? It's been surprisingly motivational. :mrgreen:

This was a hell of a round. Frankly, I'm surprised the numbers were even this spread out.
I remember when I used to just think of Minty Handy as the uke guy
This is maybe the best compliment I've gotten all year. Thank you.
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

Billy's Little Trip
If you make it to the last round, you are going to have a lot of stuff to cram in there, with this cumulative approach you seem to have going on here. It's already having trouble adding up. Didn't hear the accelerando, but I assume it was in there. I enjoyed the song a lot, but the hook was weaker than usual. I do like you how extended the title with "What you see ain't what you get", making the actual title more of a confirmation or subtitle.

Boop Boop

Ouch. You are scratching my ear again. At least THAT didn't last long. Like BLT, you seem to have used the given title as a subtitle to your own real title, "You can't do it all". The sample bed worked better in the first third of the song. Not sure if it finally went away, got drowned out, or if my ear just learned to ignore it.

Berkely Social Scene
After the first two, it was nice to hear the title stand alone. This is a big song, which I find appropriate for the big story. Obviously the right choice of vocalists. Good thing you guys have several to choose from. Well done.

Christopher Cogott
Clever use of the sample during the breaks. The song seems less built around it than some of the others, but it helps with the illusion that this is an actual band here. I think that it is well known that I am no guitar aficionado, but this seems really well done. I also like how you used the same type of break without the sample, making it seem more organically woven in and less perfunctory.

Jon Eric
Not the best mix I've heard from you. The vocals straight down the middle with keys in that "surround sound" style seems odd. Are you standing in the middle of the piano. Where's the sample? OK, I believe it's in there somewhere, but seems to not have much impact. So what's that got to do with anything? I dunno, at this point I guess I'm looking for stuff to complain about.

Milo Dunderville
Some great singing here. You make me believe that you built this over the top of the sample, and that's cool. Great twist of the title at the end with the next lifetime bit.

Minty Handy
I like the combo you created, like others, by adding the "not in this way". Rhyming way and away made me cringe a bit the first time. It didn't seem as odd at the end. This did grow on me, I admit.

Sid Denison
OK, so the sample was a throw-away, and then you sung a song. OK, it was kinda fun, but didn't really go anywhere for me. I get the connection between the title and the skit, but it wasn't enough to make me cheer. Seems like a good concert song for the right venue. After Nur Ein, you can lose the skit, and the song will live on.

Therman
I like how you really made the sample your own. Unfortunately, it became annoying after not very long, and the song itself failed to pull me out of that mood. Mostly. I started digging it more around 1:50 when those crying screams echoed in, but then the sample took it over again. Sorry. Sometimes you do the right thing, but it still doesn't work out.

Who Fly
Like Therman, you altered the sample quite a bit, but in your case, it seems more like you got a bad download of it. Try again.
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
Billy's Little Trip
Odie
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Vocals, Drums, Skin Flute
Recording Method: analog to digital via Presonus FireBox, Cubase and a porn machine
Submitting as: Billy's Little Trip, Billy and the Psychotics

Post by Billy's Little Trip »

NUR EIN!!!!?????......!!!

edit: I like yams, seriously. I've been eating them a lot lately.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

Ross wrote:How to rate a song that is about telling the judges to f- off :-) ?
Are you receiving any treatment for this Persecution Complex Ross?

edit
=====

oh - and footnote to Ross - I actually played both guitar and bass on this all the way through!!! No looping at all. I am enormously pleased by that. After 30 years - I may be getting the hang of this guitar thing - though playing at that speed too often will give me an RSI.
Last edited by Caravan Ray on Thu May 20, 2010 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

Spud wrote: After Nur Ein, you can lose the skit, and the song will live on.
Yep - exactly right. As Niv wrote earlier:
"This is mostly chorus and that has the punch of a small child having a temper tantrum."

This song was written specifically with view to my ongoing career as a middle-aged solo-guitaring novety act. Listen to the song again - but this time - imagine it being done, solo-guitar style by a balding, overweight dude that looks like an accountant.
BenKrieger
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: A lot of instruments passably.
Recording Method: Sonar, UA preamp, Apogee Rosetta converter; Garage Band; Zoom recorder; iPhone
Submitting as: Boop Boop, Chokehold Princess, Rattlebox, Oystercatcher, Solo Frijoles
Pronouns: he/him

Post by BenKrieger »

You are scratching my ear again.
I'm curious, is it just the style, compression and feedback that you're talking about, or an EQ thing? I ask because I have an average (for a musician) amount of hearing loss at some mid-frequencies and wonder if I'm over compensating. Maybe I should see if you say the same thing after I actually spend some time mixing!
Ross
Jump

Post by Ross »

Caravan Ray wrote:
Ross wrote:How to rate a song that is about telling the judges to f- off :-) ?
Are you receiving any treatment for this Persecution Complex Ross?
It's quite simple, actually.

Ps - and awesome on the playing all the way through. I assume you do that live sometimes :-)
Chris Cogott
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Guitar, bass, vocals, keys (as long as I could cheat with midi)
Recording Method: Pro Tools
Submitting as: Chris Cogott

Post by Chris Cogott »

Wow! This is a real nice surprise to wake up to. A lot of great songs this round. I almost didn't get this one in. Only had one day to write\record\mix everything. The vocals got a little buried during the last verse (I thought) because I ran out of time and forgot to do the usual vocal automations. Wish I could comment on all the reviews but I just never have the time but I do read them all and really do appreciate them. Thanks :D One of these days I'll get to do some reviews.

Jon, all I do for the acoustic is throw a condenser mic between the 12th fret and the soundhole. Then depending on the song, I'll record it again and split left and right. Not a hard split. I'll high pass to get rid of the rumbly lows and brighten up the high end in the eq, put on a very little amount of compression and that's it. I'm sure everybody does it different. I think Ross has a way better sound than me though. Care to give up your secret Ross?

Sid (C-Ray) I thought your song rocked. Sorry to see you go, but I do envy your free time that you have now. I'll probably be joining you next week. This weeks challenge is just not working for me so far.
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Post by ken »

Caravan Ray wrote:Hooray!!!!!

I'm free!!! FREE!!!!!!!

Freedom, horrible freedom!
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Post by ken »

Chris Cogott wrote:Jon, all I do for the acoustic is throw a condenser mic between the 12th fret and the soundhole. Then depending on the song, I'll record it again and split left and right. Not a hard split. I'll high pass to get rid of the rumbly lows and brighten up the high end in the eq, put on a very little amount of compression and that's it. I'm sure everybody does it different. I think Ross has a way better sound than me though. Care to give up your secret Ross?
Nope. That's pretty much how you do it. Well done.
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, Mac
Submitting as: frankie big face

Post by frankie big face »

Honestly (and respectfully, understanding what it takes to write and record a song in five days), I didn't like any of these songs, which is why I didn't post specific comments this week. I'm only saying this because Ross made the comment that these are all strong songs and, from the perspective of this judge, not one of them represents above average work from this group of competitors. Not trying to be an ass, just trying to lend some perspective in case some of you are scratching your head as to why you could be at the top of one list and the bottom of the next. (I scratch my head too.)

For what it's worth, I thought the '97 round was brilliant.
Billy's Little Trip
Odie
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Vocals, Drums, Skin Flute
Recording Method: analog to digital via Presonus FireBox, Cubase and a porn machine
Submitting as: Billy's Little Trip, Billy and the Psychotics

Post by Billy's Little Trip »

Always telling it how it is, huh Frank? :lol:

I pretty much liked all the songs, but I really didn't like how mine came out. Steve's sax was awesome and I had high hopes as I was building this one. But damn, it went to hell right at the end and I couldn't quite hit the mark. I've already re-mixed it and took the entire last chorus out. Plus the bass was WAY too over powering.

There, I just reviewed myself, lol.