Nur Ein VII Round Three "Unexpected Guest"

There can be only one.
Ross
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Vox, Bass, Tuned glasses, etc...
Recording Method: Logic on a Macbook.
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Re: Nur Ein VII: Round Three

Post by Ross »

WreckdoMelle wrote: Ross Durand – Go trumpets and guitar wah. Some sour notes in there, however.
Thx for the review.

If by sour notes you refer to the horns, what you are hearing are intentional jazz based dissonances. If you are referring to voice, been fighting cold and loss of voice for about 2weeks now, so I did what I could. :oops:
"I don't like this song, but at least it's good." - veGetar Ianra Ge
http://www.rossdurandmusic.com
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

I eased back a bit after last week's epic entry. Challenges utilized:

No Guitars
Whispering
Most of the guest challenges

I was going to include me banging on a frying pan with a wooden spoon as percussion, but it sounded terrible.

I'd hate to ruin the "unexpected"ness of it, but my guest is the one and only Spud, who is of course from former Nur Ein band Octothorpe. His vocal part is minimal in the song, but he plays bass throughout, as well. Also, I programmed the drum part using a custom kit that was put together for me by former Nur Ein contestant Signboy.

So yeah, there's some fun stuff going on there.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
supremeedible
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Guitar, but will attempt anything
Recording Method: Firepod + Audacity FTW
Submitting as: Gooey Caramel Centaur

Post by supremeedible »

Just had my first listen through. How is everyone so good this week? I especially enjoyed the rap contingent (and good to hear so much of Mr Case this round!) and finally hearing a different side of DJ Ranger.
Ross
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Vox, Bass, Tuned glasses, etc...
Recording Method: Logic on a Macbook.
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Ross »

Just listened with the idea of writing reviews - don't think I will, too many biases and too many beers.

I expect Manhattan Glutton will take this, but one never knows.

I dare say this has been the strongest rounds of 16 in Nur Ein! history. Good and great tracks all around.

Can I make the top twelve? I think so....I hope so...

Thanks so much to my bro Steve for helping me out. i like my track but wish it could have been polished in several ways that time and circumstance did not support.

Nur Ein!!!
"I don't like this song, but at least it's good." - veGetar Ianra Ge
http://www.rossdurandmusic.com
adamadamant
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: None
Recording Method: Answer phone messages
Pronouns: he/him

Post by adamadamant »

Ross wrote:Just listened with the idea of writing reviews - don't think I will, too many biases and too many beers.
Bring on the drunken raving! Unfounded criticism is what Nur Ein! is all about.
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

The Unexpected Guest

Strong fight! I hope the judges enjoy our entry this round:

WSA- We were very fortunate to grab Glenn Case as our guest for this challenge. The last time I was this blown away by vocal tracks was 5 years ago when Melvin sent me tracks for the TGFTF-State of Emergency fight and WSA was born. You gotta love Nur Ein for the collaborations it brings. I totally love our song, it’s quite the team effort. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts. The lyrics are beautiful and performed with passion. The blending of electronic drums and acoustic drums is masterful, both Pedro and Ken deserve mad props! I love the dynamics we achieved with this song. I’m quite pleased with my solo this time out too, it’s just easy when the song is this moving. I have not been able to totally read the judges, but I think this is our best shot thus far for pleasing all of the judges. It’s a strong fight, who knows where we’ll land.

Here's how I rank the rest:

2-Ross Durand- Man! This is great! Steve was the predictable guest, but you’d have been a fool to use anyone else. Some of those horn riffs took me to a place I never thought I’d go in a Ross Durand song, Alice Cooper’s Welcome to my Nightmare. It’s those octave riffs with the horns. Bob Ezrin would be proud. Awesome vocal performance! I love the melody. All the change ups are brilliant. If anything I think the bass and drums could be stronger, they’re good, but they could tighten up and punch with the rest. Mostly I dream of playing bass on this song live with Ken on drums. This is just fantastic! This could win.

3-DJ Ranger Den- I always knew it would be BLT, you’d be a fool to have anyone else. I really thought this year was going to be a Psychotic Nur Ein year. I’m glad we got a taste of it. BLT reels you in to a very good place. This is an instant classic! I’ll be listening to this for years. The production is awesome! Your harmonized vocal swoops and bends are delicious and very tasty. It’s so nice to hear something not autotuned. If it is autotuned, it’s a masterful job! Your voice against this killer groove is gold! This could win.

4-Frankie Big Face- Were this production Fight this would be low and Manhattan Glutton would be high. This is a great song. The band response Oh ooh oh oh is super catchy! This post-punk reminds me of the Futureheads minus the Sunderland accent. This should clearly go on a compilation with Lola. The lyrics are funny. Great song!

5-Merisan- You guys are so freaking talented! The production is great. I think you could have more fun with stereo separation. That probably wouldn’t go over so well. I know very much what it’s like to be in a room with you guys doing songs like this, the acoustic would be in one ear more than the other. You can’t help seeing tumble weeds roll by during this song. The vocals are amazing. I’m not really grabbed by the melody nor the lyrics, but they are good enough to listen to repeatedly, very non offensive and soothing. The guitar solos are super tasty! Nice recording! You have stronger songs.

6-ADD/Dr Funk- More Glenn Case! Luckily for the WSA this was another side of Glenn used by ADD. Who told you to make your songs shorter? I liked the longer stuff. This is too short. It feels like half a song. I’m left with “what happens next?”. The production is amazing! This is funny too! The flow is excellent. I don’t get the “I get it I get it…” thing at the end. Very cool!

7-Oystercatcher- This is disgusting. This is hilarious! The old timey vocal styling is impressive! This is by far the best of the “skits” we find in this fight. I laugh every time I hear the “Honey you gotta keep your legs open….”. This makes me miss the Dr. Demento show. This is brilliant! The playing is great on the acoustic and the brush snare. The organ makes it feel like a radio show which fits well with the skit aspect of the song.

8-Wreckdom- It’s unfortunate about the title. This works for uninvited, much more than unexpected. The funk is great. I wish the chorus was louder and more confident. Are there 2 drum tracks? It sounds like 2 different snares doing different things. The idea is cute. I enjoy this from beginning to end. No big laughs, but fun.

9-Adam Adamant- The backing beats are infectious. I dig the British accent. The words don’t do anything for me. The music is so catchy! I’m bobbing my head, wishing you had something more to say. Although for this fight the line “I may not be expected, but I’m always invited” is good. With the mistake by a couple of the contestants, I’ve been thinking a lot about just how interchangeable unexpected and uninvited might be. Cool beats.

10-GJ & the C- The skit with Rabid as a Bill O-Riley is funny. The “oh yeah”, “Oh baby” cracked me up, I’m not sure why. I love the use of the Eight Miles High (just kidding Sam & Erin). Multiple personality disorder on this track. I wouldn’t have expected something so progressive from GJ. This is officially the weirdest entry. It’s definitely interesting, I’m not sure it works, but I’m engaged throughout.

11-Chris Cogott- The skit doesn’t really work for me. I think the idea of the lyrics is a good one. I don’t enjoy the actual lyrics. A cute song and idea like this could stand to have more clever lyrics. That said, WOW! You’re such a monster musician! The production is an A+. Everything sounds awesome! Your singing is impeccable. The riffs are pretty standard, good but not particularly memorable.

12-Manhattan Glutton- This is pop candy. This works really well on the 1st listen. With repeated listens I like this less and less. It’s too freaking long. The soloing is really good, in fact the best part. It does sound like the lead guitar was recorded in a different place than your studio. You’re a great player and a great producer. I like the riffs okay. That drum beat is pretty tired. There’s the MG classic root 8th notes! The string of clichés for the lyrics makes me cringe. In production fight this would be super high. You’ve written much better songs. The repeated “unexpected” feels shoe-horned in. This seems to be going over really well with the other reviewers, if I only had one listen it would probably rank a lot higher for me too. I’m sure you’ll be fine, maybe win, what do I know?

13-Chocolate Chips- Man you sound like you’re out of steam. The weird effect on the vocals is overbearing. I dig the chorus. The tempo seems too slow. The chorus saves the song. I think Unexpected is interchangeable with Uninvited in this song. Cool solo!

14-Jon Eric and Spud- Too repetitive! Everything is so quiet. I don’t like the sound of the drums. The arpeggios in the verse are strange, though I think I like it. Spuds bass should be a lot louder in the mix! I really have to listen hard to realize it’s there. Your vocals are so loud in the mix. The melody is pretty good. I like the flow of the chord pattern as well. This isn’t bad, but the competition is high.

15-Gooey Caramel Centaur- Is this a concession song? I really like the acoustic solo! I like the higher harmony vocal. The 1st vocal is a little pitchy, unfortunately in this crowd that's enough to throw you to the bottom of the list. The lyrics don’t help you. I like the bass. Some brush drums would’ve been nice for this blue-grass ditty. This is still a good little catchy song, I just like the 14 others more. Sorry man.

BGM- Booo! I hope you enjoyed your immunity. I would have like to hear another song from you. I hope you stayed sharp with your time off, everyone is stepping up their game.
Last edited by glennny on Tue May 15, 2012 3:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

adamadamant wrote: Bring on the drunken raving!.
Did someone ask for drunken raving?

1. Frankie Big Face: Great lyrics. Good song. Only comment is the pre-verse bit ("She smiled….") is great for two lines - but doing it for four lines takes away from it a bit. Nice gear change.

2. Oystercatcher: Heh! the tapeworm voice cracks me up. Though I always imagined they would sound more French. My wife is a Public Health physician and always coming up with ideas for Broadway musicals based on public health issues. I'll get her people to call your people. Tapeworm!: The Musical. I'm seeing Russell Crowe in the lead.

3. Chris Coggott: The judges hate pre-song skits. But this is pretty cool. Sounds very Matthew Sweet. Great lyrics. Is this CC doing BYD lyrics? It is a good combo.

4. Merisan: This sounds great. Am I a bit dense? I don't understand what this about. If I work out what is going on in the story - it will probably jump higher in my ranking.

5. DJRangerDen: This is good. Great vocals. Song not entirely grabbing me.

6. Adam Adamant: Pretty good. Great vocal delivery in the verses. Oatsy sounds good too. Chorus less good. Lyrics sound a bit dumb

7. Gooey: There is a lot I like about this - but I fear you may have trouble progressing.

8. Manhattan Glutton: This is very good. Just not my thing. There is some pretty good lead guitar in there though

9. ADD: Flow of the vocals doesn't work in parts - and that is off-putting. Better lyrics than Adam Adamant - but not as good delivery as he has.

10. WSA: Seems a bit meandering

11. Ross Durand: Not sure about the intentional jazz based dissonances. Song not grabbing me either

12. Chocolate Chips: I've been enjoying your entries. This is your weakest.

13. Wreckdom: Not your best

14. Jon Eric: Not doing much for me
Last edited by Caravan Ray on Tue May 15, 2012 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

glennny wrote: GJ & the C- The skit with Rabid as a Bill O-Riley is funny.
I asked Rabs for a Troy McLure. Who is Bill O-Riley (I assume you don't mean "Tiger" Bill O'Reilly the 1930's leg spinner?). But whatever - Rabs is the man for that sort of work!
supremeedible
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Guitar, but will attempt anything
Recording Method: Firepod + Audacity FTW
Submitting as: Gooey Caramel Centaur

Post by supremeedible »

glennny wrote:15-Gooey Caramel Centaur- Is this a concession song? I really like the acoustic solo! I like the higher harmony vocal. The 1st vocal is a little pitchy, unfortunately in this crowd that's enough to throw you to the bottom of the list. The lyrics don’t help you. I like the bass. Some brush drums would’ve been nice for this blue-grass ditty. This is still a good little catchy song, I just like the 14 others more. Sorry man.
I hear you.

I kind of hoped when I entered that I wouldn't make it to the "bring a guest" round, because I haven't done the whole collab thing before and knew I would be uncomfortable with it. I think I managed it pretty well, but the song is underdeveloped, and I understand how you could hear it as a "concession song".
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, Mac
Submitting as: frankie big face

Post by frankie big face »

Caravan Ray wrote:
adamadamant wrote: Bring on the drunken raving!.
Did someone ask for drunken raving?

1. Frankie Big Face: Great lyrics. Good song. Only comment is the pre-verse bit ("She smiled….") is great for two lines - but doing it for four lines takes away from it a bit. Nice gear change.
Good comment. Was necessary to set up the story, I think.

@Glenn - thanks for the positive review. I didn't think the production was that bad, but I hear different things in monitors vs. headphones so maybe you're right. I'm still trying to get better at recording with software. It's frustrating.
bgm
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: guitars, vocals, some drums, some keys, various shaky things
Recording Method: Logic
Submitting as: bgm, 73 Keep It Beautiful, From A Basement

Post by bgm »

glenny wrote:BGM- Booo! I hope you enjoyed your immunity.
I didn't. I have a bastard of a cold. I guess the timing was right. Just hope it goes away by tomorrow.
Manhattan Glutton
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Angst
Recording Method: REAPER

Post by Manhattan Glutton »

glennny wrote:The soloing is really good, in fact the best part.
Yeah, I think it makes the song - too bad I can't take credit for it. Thanks for the positive comments. Aside from that, I find it hilarious that I can just take whatever I'm thinking and invert it to get your opinion. At first I didn't like my song and now I do. I also thought it was some of my better lyrical work. (If you actually think you know what the song is about, I'd like to know.)

Anyway, the kiss of death is usually when people say my song is poppy, so I wouldn't be too worried about me taking the win.

I'll post reviews later.
Last edited by Manhattan Glutton on Tue May 15, 2012 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
If I had a dollar for every one of my songs j$ has called a 90s pastiche, I'd have $1 for every song I've written.

Nur Ein Archives | The New Ugly Podcast
glennny
Jump

Post by glennny »

BGM wrote:
I didn't. I have a bastard of a cold. I guess the timing was right. Just hope it goes away by tomorrow.
well now I feel bad. Sorry man, I hope you feel better!
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
glennny
Jump

Post by glennny »

@Frankie

You'r production isn't that bad, but compare it to your last entry. It's in a different world.
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

glennny wrote:
bgm wrote:I didn't. I have a bastard of a cold. I guess the timing was right. Just hope it goes away by tomorrow.
well now I feel bad. Sorry man, I hope you feel better!
...licking his chops...
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
Manhattan Glutton
Ice Cream Man

Screw it. Judges, cut me - I want to play Diablo 3.

... just kidding ...

... maybe ...
If I had a dollar for every one of my songs j$ has called a 90s pastiche, I'd have $1 for every song I've written.

RangerDenni
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: vocals, piano, drums, bit o’gitfiddle, other noisy stuff
Recording Method: cubase, pianoteq, desperation.
Submitting as: a mysterious presence of quiet silence and apology reverb
Pronouns: She/Her They/Them

Post by RangerDenni »

bgm wrote:
glenny wrote:BGM- Booo! I hope you enjoyed your immunity.
that is no fun at all :( I hope you feel better soonly!!! :)
"Really interesting how the point you’re making slowly emerges like Martin Sheen from the mud in Apocalypse Now..." ~j$
Manhattan Glutton
Ice Cream Man

adamant - Vocals come in abbrasive, but get better as the song goes. I think you need a better mic. Drums are nice and punchy. Chorus works, but could be stronger. The main riff is catchy and different.

add - (I contemplated not reviewing your song since you take everything so personally.) Great rapping. I like the little 8-bit sounds. The drums feel a little tame - they could use some verb or punchiness or something. It's a rap song - the kick should thud. It's also missing gangsta bass, but I guess that matches the Nintendo sound. It's about the right length for what it is - it could build more into a longer song, but it doesn't build a whole lot. Subtlty is lost on me, if you haven't noticed.

bgm - You lazy sonofabitch. You're sick? I've been sick for three weeks. (No hard feelings, I'm just bitter you had immunity this round.)

Chocolate - Good song here! It starts off kind of rough and weak. Tempo could be bumped up too. Nothing else to complain about, except lack of harmonies. You sing like James Hetfield at points (which I only started noticing after someone told me I do it) when you go hey-ah! Just FYI. I like the techno-mixup parts.

Chris - Kill the intro! Nice bass tone! The changed up sections are really sweet. I particularly like the outro. Some lines here and there are delivered off-beat. Maybe the verse melody could be a little more engaging. Overall, I like it.

DJ - You're really at home with BLT - you've had a lot of practice together! This song kicks ass. A bit Alanis, but more interesting. Great harmonies. Amazing drums. My complaints would be: jumping into the chorus too eagerly from the engaging verse, and clipping on the vox.

Frankie - Mostly textbook punk type tune, well done. Would have liked to hear more harmonies on verse (oh here they are in the second verse). The key changes are artful. I had it stuck in my head this morning so take that as you will.

Geneveiefve and the woodchips - Contrived intro, yawn. The percussion choice is unique and captivating. The repetitive guitar riff is a little much, but I'll let it slide. And now it turned into a different song.

Gooey - Holy hokey Batman! Great execution - can't say I'm particularly into it, though.

Jon - Cool triplets! Most complaints are with the mixing and mastering - vocals a bit hot, drums a bit low and dry. I imagine that's because of your 11th hour rewrite. All in all, I like it - polish it up and ship it out. Feels very Ben Folds, which I like.

Merisan - The beginning syncopation throws me off - that's a good thing, I like when songs do that. Beautiful song with beautiful touches all over it. I kind of want to hear slide guitar or vibrato on that right-panned verse guitar at the end of phrases. The singing is incredible from both of you.

Oystercatcher - This feels very Ween. Which means I can't say a whole lot because it's all crazy, but in a good way.

Ross Durand - Like the intro. Want stronger vocals/harmonies at chorus. I like it. Just when I think it can't get more awesome, it adds a new instrument or key change.

WSA - Cool drums. Very experimental song, but in a good way. I always like frisbee vocals. Tons of stuff I like, but it's still hard to find a recurring hook. It grows on me with more listens.

Wreckdom - RHCP bass + Wreckdom singing = ???. I'm going to give it the stamp of approval, because I want to shake my fanny.

Everyone did awesome. Very high quality stuff here. It's hard to pick favorites, since they're all so awesome in different ways. DJ, Merisan, and Ross really surprised me (the others were good too, but didn't surprise me as much).

Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Hint, our song is inspired by a movie.
Jefff
Push Comes to Shove
Submitting as: PPV

Post by Jefff »

Manhattan Glutton wrote:add - (I contemplated not reviewing your song since you take everything so personally.)
Yes, everything.
glennny
Jump

Post by glennny »

Next year's FAWM, Linda Blair movies!
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

glennny wrote:
Next year's FAWM, Linda Blair movies!
I get to write a song about Born Innocent?????
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost