S.O.N.G. .F.I.G.H.T.! (pre-fight)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

I'd like to thank the Fight Master(s) not only for posting my late entry, but for all of the songs of both mine and everyone else! Good job and...THANKS!
Æpplês&vØdkã
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Drums, bass, synths, guitar, whatever else is around.
Recording Method: Tascam dp006, Shure SM-58, FL studio
Submitting as: Phlebia

Post by Æpplês&vØdkã »

Thanks fightmasters!

Why is my name '?'? I'm Ö.

Eh, oh well.
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher

I just finished listening to every song, in order. Amazing. There are way too many good songs to even begin to mention here, so I'll start reviews:tomorrow!

I've gotta say that my songs were at the bottom of the quality pile every time, but I hope that they are a step towards both loosening up and getting better. It was fun to do the 11 and I appreciate the excellence surrounding me - thanks!
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

applesandvodka wrote:Thanks fightmasters!

Eh, oh well.
\

because Ö messes up the code.
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Try Ô instead.
Phil. Redmon.
Mean Street
Instruments: guitars
Recording Method: Reaper
Submitting as: Abominominous, The Hell Yeahs, Spy Vs. Pie

Post by Phil. Redmon. »

Hey, everybody, if you wanted to listen to all eleven of my tunes in order, here's a playlist you can stream:

http://www.tartpop.com/tunes/eleven.m3u

Also, on a recent Spy Vs. Pie popcast, I talk a little bit about the recording process. It's at:

http://www.spyvspie.com/?p=58

Glad I could take part in the huge fight.
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin
Pronouns: he/him

Post by roymond »

This dentil molding interface is teh awesome! Nice job.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, vocals, bass, BIAB, keyboards (synth anything)
Recording Method: Tascam DP-24SD
Submitting as: King Arthur

Post by king_arthur »

A big thank you to fightmasters for opening things up this time and being willing to host multiple songs. I guess there were five of us - me, Hostess, Phil, Paco and Wreckdom - who did all eleven songs, and others who did several. Not that I expect FMs to continue this practice in the future, but this might be a good chance to discuss amongst ourselves this whole question of being in multiple fights in the same week.

For everybody, is the sense that the songs aren't as good as a typical submission from those same people? I.e., are the Hostess songs significantly worse (or better) than we'd expect from a week where Hostess does just one song?

For those who did several songs, how do you feel about what you came up with? Are there songs you sent in because of the "eleven song challenge" that you might have said, "naw, this isn't good enough" if you weren't going for the gold ring? As you worked through the songs, did you feel like they were getting better or worse?

For me, if I'd been doing just a one-song week and the one song I had was "No Relation" or "High Time," I probably wouldn't have bothered submitting - those were the two that seemed the weakest to me. I did feel like the songs I did later on were better than the earlier ones, maybe because I got beyond some of the quirky KA concepts and lyrics, and just settled in to writing decent songs... I know I've already had a couple comments in the reviews about some of my tunes being, umm, exactly what one would expect from the title, but at some level, that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Anyway... this may be a good chance to discuss the whole question of doing multiple fights in the same week. I understand, from FMs' perspective, the simple question of "volume of songs to be handled" justifies not doing this all the time, but in terms of the quality of songs from an individual fighter... helps, hurts, no effect?

Charles
"...one does not write in dactylic hexameter purely by accident..." - poetic designs
Phil. Redmon.
Mean Street

Post by Phil. Redmon. »

king_arthur wrote:I guess there were five of us - me, Hostess, Phil, Paco and Wreckdom - who did all eleven songs, and others who did several.
Six, actually. The magnantimant UDAHL rocked it up in all eleven as well.

For me, I have been out of the SongFight loop long enough that I didn't get too hyped out regarding peoples preferences / expectations / previous reviews and so on. I worked on the tunes incrementally, too. Here's a breakdown.

Saturday: Write riffs, record demo guitars, record 8 songs of drums (10 hours)
Sunday: Record 3 songs drums, record keeper guitar, all bass, all keyboards, write all lyrics, sing 7 songs (10-11 hours)
Monday: Sing remaining songs, record 6 guitar solos (4 hours)
Tuesday: Finish solos, additional bg vox. (3 hours)
Wednesday: off
Thursday: Mixing, mastering, converting, e-mailing (10 hours)

I was totally working on ONE thing, rather than 11 things. I feel like they all work well together, and junk.

I don't know if there are any I wouldn't have submitted in a 2 title fight, but I don't think they would have come out the way they did if worked on singularly. It was just the right kind of challenge to drag me back into Songfight.

Man, I have a LOT of reviews to write.
Phil. Redmon.
Mean Street

Post by Phil. Redmon. »

Another thing I meant to mention:

Like King Arthur, I tried not to double up on the keys.

I wrote a list of the titles, and went A, A#, B, C.... until the end. So poor G# got left out.
Also, no two the same tempo ( I record the scratch guitars to a click, and drum to those.) I wrote down all the tempos, and they're all in the same-ish range, and all on the 5's or 0's.

One MORE lil' tidbit: 3.7 gigs.
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

applesandvodka wrote:Thanks fightmasters!

Eh, oh well.
There was no band name in your email that I could see. Except for a stray ?, so that's what I went with.
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher

In relation to King Arthur and Phil. Redmon.'s posts:

I'm not as strong as most of the fighters here, but I loved the challenge and drive to do all 11. (Now completed 11 reviews too! Woo-hoo!) I enjoyed hearing the return, every fight, of the do all 11 folks - see the highs and lows, where they peaked and what not. How they were broken up and evolved.

I wrote all 11 on the first day, in order, eyes popping out of my head by late night. Then recorded them, in order though I sang and mailed 4 on the Monday, sending them in as done. And I really did lose track of the day on Friday...sitting with my feet up on a desk thinking how strange it was that the computer didn't know the date and somehow I had all the time in the world to finish "Exclamation Point"!

I hope that from this I've been able to loosen up a bit as far as worrying what people might think, my (awful) singing, trying too hard at some things and not hard enough at others. I also hope I didn't scare anyone away, as I don't think it would hurt to give me a listen once! Some were weaker than usual and the quality vs. quantity argument comes marching right on in, but I like at least something about each of my songs, besides the excellence around me. It was a great challenge and even exercise - and sure did produce a heep of good music.

I'd do it again, time willing and hopefully not soon!
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher

I might add to my post above that I wrote just the lyrics, not all the music and whatever, on the first day. Gee, can't tell, huh?

I think that those who contributed all 11 may have shown signs of the multi entries: Maybe not as all around tight as they might usually be, or as full with overdubs and other instruments, but man, impressive how good the material is!

Of course, this is not to snub the multi or single entries either, as there are plenty of excellent songs to listen to this week.
blindmime
A New Player
Recording Method: Logic Pro
Submitting as: blind mime ensemble

Post by blindmime »

Ratt Poizon wrote:...and "rage against the drum machine."
Just have to say I love that album title.
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

Paco Del Stinko wrote:I'm not as strong as most of the fighters here...
You know, you self deprecate and all but you got it goin on, big time.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher

Roymond - Thanks for the nice words. I always have, and probably always will, self depracate, but I'll try not to display it as much. I'm not a braggart either (and not accusing anyone of being so) and I genuinely love what I do, if not every result.

Again, thanks for the compliment - that's high praise to me from someone as talented as you! Now let's cut it out and fight! :)
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

I can out-self-depracate any of you losers anyday. Bring it on.
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher

My absurd patheticism won't even allow me a good response to that, Ray. I guess you win, as I'm not good enough for even a tie. Poor, poor me. :wink:
Treachjuris
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: piano, guitar (acoustic/lectrc), violin (acoustic/lectrc) clarinet; whatever generates sound
Recording Method: ibanez, rhodes, tascam, m-audio, darla, cubase, magix, noteworthy, mixcraft
Submitting as: Fish Sausage, Scrotean Hydra, Yummy Bug

rE rE rE

Post by Treachjuris »

I tried to do all 11, came up with some good things, but found myself being spread too thin. There was a potentially phenom track that, if it would have been the ONLY this week, would have rocked, but had to scrap in order to complete the remaining contenders for fear of destroying a potentially great track with hasty production.

I much prefer one focus, actually, although, this was awesome, and all the "full" participants have my undying admiration. You DO all have jobs as well, don't you? I don't right now, and I could not pull it off. :P
*high fives*
"Electro-Mindscaping Nightmare music, gets me up and leaves me begging for more" ---sp00n
"If I were a rift in time right now, I would totally have a crush on this song" --- EightLeggedOedipus's friend INTOXICATED
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

You should finish the other track later and post it for us.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas