Review A Little Bit More (Love Me reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Teplin
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Bowed guitar and an excess of reverb
Recording Method: Reaper
Submitting as: Howl Down the Chimney, Humboat, Make Spoons Not Knives

Re: Review A Little Bit More (Love Me reviews)

Post by Teplin »

PlainSongs wrote: Howl Down the Chimney
Good circus sound, if a tad too harsh. Don't tell me you don't love "For the Benefit of Mr Kite"! I like the lyrics a lot - "where in the brain do you keep your affection etc." That theremin-like thing (is it really??) is neat. Super! Love this. ◤◤◤◤◤ ◤◤◤◤◤ *
Yes, I keep a lot of affection for Mr. Kite in my brain :) . I think John was too hard on it, later on. Anyway, no, that's not a real theremin (it's a vst moog, Gforce Minimonsta) but that's the vibe I was going for. I'd like to have a genuine theremin someday, but I'm sure I'd need a lot of practice do anything like I did in the song. Glad you liked it, thanks for reviewing!
Pet Squirrel wrote:Also, the simulated-theremin solo is a cool idea, would sound better/more realistic if you did more portamento, less regular vibrato, and *slightly* less dead on rhythm
Cool, I'll remember this next time I need a faux theremin.
Rtotheotothez5
A New Player

Post by Rtotheotothez5 »

I really love the one by Eric Strom's Daily Song dot com. Good work!!
Pet Squirrel
A New Player
Submitting as: Pet Squirrel

Post by Pet Squirrel »

Teplin wrote: I'd like to have a genuine theremin someday, but I'm sure I'd need a lot of practice do anything like I did in the song.
Yeah, I hear it takes quite a bit to get past the "making crazy sounds" stage when learning theremin to get to the actually playing the instrument in a controlled way. I have a kit to build one (from paia) which I still haven't quite gotten around to finishing. Maybe I'll try to get that done soon and check it out. I've always loved the sound.
A Bootleg
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Guitar, bass, fiddle
Recording Method: Tascam DR-40 and a fast food attitude
Submitting as: often as Halley's Comet.
Pronouns: He/they

Post by A Bootleg »

I have total respect for people who can play real music on the theremin. It's crazy to think that back in their heyday there were theremin orchestras. They still manage to cobble the infrequent ensemble together though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjlwEuREAbI.

Also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-to5hU6yl0

Also Also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW0B1sipLBI
My other music is Old Time / shape note.
Reist
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Drums, Guitar
Recording Method: Yamaha AW1600, Reaper
Submitting as: Therman

Post by Reist »

Man, all this theremin talk has me inspired. Hopefully I'll pick one up before the end of the year - those things are amazing!
Teplin
Push Comes to Shove

Post by Teplin »

Very inspiring videos indeed. I don't think I would have guessed that last video was theremin, that guy's got a unique style
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin
Pronouns: he/him

Post by roymond »

Clara Rockmore was the theremin queen. See this movie, if you haven't already. It's awesome.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
Ross
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Vox, Bass, Tuned glasses, etc...
Recording Method: Logic on a Macbook.
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Ross »

roymond wrote: See this movie, if you haven't already. It's awesome.
Seconded - fascinating on many levels, a great documentary and a loving portrait of the instrument and the man behind it.
"I don't like this song, but at least it's good." - veGetar Ianra Ge
http://www.rossdurandmusic.com
Pet Squirrel
A New Player
Submitting as: Pet Squirrel

Post by Pet Squirrel »

Ross wrote:
roymond wrote: See this movie, if you haven't already. It's awesome.
Seconded - fascinating on many levels, a great documentary and a loving portrait of the instrument and the man behind it.
Thirded

Its amazing to me that an instrument that has such a great sound and amazing expressivity in the hands of a skilled player (like Rockmore) basically has been reduced to just "that thing in old scifi movie soundtracks". Mind you, I love the theremin doodling and old scifi movies are great, its just a shame that it has so little serious exposure now.
adam b
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Guitar, basic Keys
Recording Method: Audacity, Laptop
Submitting as: Lawless Drive

Post by adam b »

Pet Squirrel wrote:
Teplin wrote: I'd like to have a genuine theremin someday, but I'm sure I'd need a lot of practice do anything like I did in the song.
Yeah, I hear it takes quite a bit to get past the "making crazy sounds" stage when learning theremin to get to the actually playing the instrument in a controlled way. I have a kit to build one (from paia) which I still haven't quite gotten around to finishing. Maybe I'll try to get that done soon and check it out. I've always loved the sound.
Heh, the singer in my band plays theremin as well. He's not bad, but it does take a long time to learn.
We can be found at http://www.myspace.com/mongoliandischargepolice, sadly there's no theremin there at the moment.
PlainSongs
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Submitting as: Plain Songs for Doves & Tigers, Nu igen!

Post by PlainSongs »

Teplin wrote:Yes, I keep a lot of affection for Mr. Kite in my brain :) . I think John was too hard on it, later on.
Really? What was his beef with it?

These were cool theremin videos, I also enjoyed Clair de Lune by Mr Theremin's grand-niece, and to my surprise, Marlene Dietrich playing the saw. Curious about that movie.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs
Pronouns: he/him

Post by HeuristicsInc »

BabylonHoruv wrote: She did struggle a bit with making the lines come out with the right feeling in them.
yeah, i listened to your song, and i thought the voice-acting (on both sides) was the big problem here, i was not convinced that the scenario was happening. also, it's not really industrial :)
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
PlainSongs
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Submitting as: Plain Songs for Doves & Tigers, Nu igen!

Post by PlainSongs »

BabylonHoruv wrote:She did struggle a bit with making the lines come out with the right feeling in them.
I actually liked the voice acting - I wasn't sure if parts of it were ripped off a movie or radio drama - and she sounds appropriately annoyed and detached. In fact you folks get a few extra ♥♥♥s for that right here. (I gave you too low a score in any case. But then I was gravely saddened by the turn to cliché horror.)
Teplin
Push Comes to Shove

Post by Teplin »

PlainSongs wrote:
Teplin wrote:Yes, I keep a lot of affection for Mr. Kite in my brain :) . I think John was too hard on it, later on.
Really? What was his beef with it?
He said it was one of his least favorite songs, in the years after the Beatles, but I couldn't remember if he said why. I went poking around on the internet just now to find some actual quotes, and I found this:
Although Lennon once said of the song that he "wasn't proud of that" and "I was just going through the motions," in 1980 he described it as "pure, like a painting, a pure watercolour."
So it looks like maybe he changed his mind about it and started liking it again. Anyway, I read that he was also not very pleased with Tomorrow Never Knows, so this was sort of a pattern with him.

Wow, Marlene Dietrich on saw! That's another instrument I really want.
Project-D
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Project-D »

I say Durand Durand is the return of Bill Chase. Kick Ass. And if nobody mentioned the funky bass line I will. Also kick ass.
Working hard to suck less.
Project-D
Be my friend.
signboy
Mean Street
Instruments: things that make noise
Recording Method: lots of stuff plugged into lots of other stuff

Post by signboy »

I refuse to use the entry count as an excuse for not reviewing. So, here they are, and some of them are even as objective as they were supposed to be.

A Tribe Called Quoons
production 5
performance 4
writing 4

The vocals seem a little resonant in some places. A bit of eq’ing would have fixed this.
The delivery doesn’t always feel up to par with the rest of the song. I really dig the
Piano loop, it feels very Gnarls-ish.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Babylon Horuv Feat. Pandamonieum & Atryom
production 3
performance 3
writing 2
Your vocal part is very muddy. Some better mic’ing and eq’ing. The only thing that
Got this up to a 2 on writing was the story line.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Berkshire Social Scene
production 8
performance 9
writing 7
Seems pretty busy, and I think that takes away from the listening. Other than that, this a
Very decent song, if a bit generic. Great vocals.
Cabin Fever
production 8
performance 8
writing 9
My only criticism is that it could have used a bit more lead in the mix through some of
The louder spots. Nice discretionary use of effects, and a great job with the vocals.
The Chadderandom Abyss
production 5
performance 2
writing 1
Chopped Liver Meat God
production 7
performance 7
writing 7
-1 production point for the drums. The mix could have used some volume
automation in places (if you’re using a DAW). I’m a bit torn on the performance score
as I think you pulled off what you were going for, but it sounds like the reason I
don’t like the Cure.
Cobalt Stomach
production 7
performance 6
writing 5
+1 production point for the drums. The kick seems a bit much until the rest of it comes in. I’m a bit torn on the performance score, as it sounds like the reason I didn’t like Chopped Liver Meat God. As for writing, there are some great vocal dynamics in here, but the music feels mismatched to it. Overall, decent song, LOO.
Cock
production 5
performance 6
writing 6
+1 production for the vocal effects. -1 for the REALLY loud parts. The dynamics keep the flow from getting boring, but I found myself clutching for the headphones to get them farther away.
Country Martyrs
production 4
performance 3
writing 4
The mix isn’t all that bad, but the vocals are. Don’t get discouraged, keep working at it. The bass has a bit much high end for what it is, which puts it right up front where it shouldn’t be.
Deetak
production 4
performance 7
writing 4
It sounds like you recorded too quietly, then cranked the vocals up later. Lots of noise. Oddly enough, it kinda works for this song. I’m going to be objective and give you a 7 on performance because although I didn’t like it, some CBC listener would. -1 writing point for the verse/chorus flow.
Durand Durand
production 7
performance 8
writing 8
Some things could use a bit more or less in the mix (in isolated places). Great chorus and funk feel.
Dutova
production 6
performance 7
writing 6
I like the retro feel of this. I love the synth line a little bit more. The chorus feels pretty meh. Maybe some stronger b/vox and dynamics would have helped.
Embers Of Autumn
production 5
performance 8
writing 6
The vocals are a bit hot, and very dry. Maybe a touch of verb&delay? Great vocal performance, though.
Evil E
production 4
performance 6
writing 5
Lack of compression/volume only works if you have some dynamics to show off. The verses seem to just drag with the guitar doubling the vocals, and no diversity in the melody. For the same reason, the chorus doesn’t stick out much either.
Heine
production 7
performance 7
writing 8
The vocal track sounds like it tried less than everything else. With more punch, they could have really brought the chorus out. The higher octave lead rocks, +1 writing point.
The Hell Yeahs
production 7
performance 8
writing 8
The whole thing seems to lack life. Maybe some upgraded eq/mastering techniques. As usual, I dig your guys’ punk feel.

Hostess Mostess
production 8
performance 8
writing 9
I personally don’t like to give this a 9 for writing, but I know a good melody when I hear it. Great chord changes.
Howl Down The Chimney
production 6
performance 8
writing 8
+ 1 production for the vocal sound, but -1 for the abrasive organ. I think it’s the high end of the eq that makes it stick out so bad. I’m starting to really appreciate your writing style, though.
Jimmy Jet And His T.V. Set
production 5
performance 8
writing 7
With the sound of your room in the mix, this sounds like a live radio special. Not necessarily bad, just very distinctive. It works well for a G&U song. Some backing vocal takes would have convinced my ipod to keep this song.
John Kloberdanz
production 7
performance 8
writing 6
This is what makes me not dread G&G songs.
Jon Eric
production 7
performance 8
writing 7
It turned me on when you said “broke my fuckin heart”. Not a bad song, maybe a bit generic. The vocals feel like they have no air, up in the top end of the eq. Simple fix, and it would make it sound not so home recorded.
Jonathan Mann
production 8
performance 7
writing 8
-1 performance for the loosey goosey shots on “love me more”. That would have given the whole thing a tighter feel. Other than that, great job on everything.
Loooove
production 8
performance 8
writing 5
This gets old pretty quick without dynamics or changeups. On the other hand, I DID masturbate when I heard what you did to the vocals. I’m a whore for that kind of thing.
LSK
production 4
performance 1
writing 1
Please, James, take the time to ask Rone for vocal tips.
Maggie Kanuka
production 4
performance 5
writing 5
You’ve got a great voice, but it sounds like you’re trying to keeps it under wraps.
Also, are you recording a real piano? It sounds like it harder to do than it sounds like.
Manhattonglutton
production 5
performance 7
writing 7
The whole thing sounds somehow abrasively loud even when I turn it down.
Guitar is a bit much in the mix. Mixed better, I would have liked this.
Marlaama
production 4
performance 1
writing 1
+1 for the reverse reverb. -1 for submitting. I am Lord Of loving this a little bit less.
Max The Cat
production 7
performance 9
writing 8
Way to put the drums where they belong in this particular song. The vocals remind me of Paul Simon.
Melvin
production 8
performance 9
writing 8
Your voice works well in a lower range. The synth bits don’t translate well to smaller speakers, as all I heard was a staticky noise.
Melvin Is God
production 4
performance 8
writing 1
With the exception of your vocal timbre, I might have thought this was Rone.
You damn near pulled this off.
Ochodelculo
production 4
performance 1
writing 1
But YOU didn’t pull this one off.
Organist Who Can't Tag
production 2
performance 3
writing 2
The pitch shifted bits creep me out.
Paco del Stinko
production 8
performance 7
writing 5
This rocks a bit less than most Paco entries.
Pathetic Wannabes
production 3
performance 2
writing 3
Out of curiosity, who the hell do you “wannabe”?
Pet Squirrel
production 7
performance 5
writing 6
+1 for the bass. -1 for not turning it down just one notch. As far as the rhythm and stuff goes, this is not bad. It’s the vocals that bring it down. In an effort to try and be a little constructive, I’ll say it’s the falsetto-ish lack of balls.
PiGPEN
production 5
performance 4
writing 3
This has a very “just for shits & giggles” feel. I don’t want to listen all the way through, but I haven’t reached for the fast forward button. I don’t understand…
Plain Songs For Doves & Tigers
production 6
performance 6
writing 6
The oboe-ish sound works really well in there. I can’t tell if your voice does or not. You sound like Richmond from the I.T. Crowd.
Quimby
production 8
performance 9
writing 8
I love your voice. Good decision to add some solo guitar, it makes the song feel, um, fuller. Some drums would have helped a lot too, though.
R. Mosquito
production 5
performance 6
writing 7
There’s so much fuzz going on that it’s hard to tell what’s doing what behind the wall of noise. The vocal/drum break was good, and much needed.
Raisin Brain
pproduction 7
performance 6
writing 7
Good overall feel. The lead synth is a bit loud. Lyrics are a bit on the edge… did you just throw “threshold of tolerance” into an 80’s pop song? Damn.
Red Skeletons
production 7
performance 7
writing 8
The pre-chorus is great, as is the combination of vocal style/organ.
Rik Gerblick
production 8
performance 8
writing 9
This is well put together. I’ll rock out to it in the work truck. The lead guitar could be louder.
Roymond Feat. BLT
production 8
performance 7
writing 8
Rock! The guitars are a bit harsh, though. Especially with one of them being panned right.
Signboy
production 6
performance 5
writing 4
When am I going to learn that I can’t rap?
The Sky Looks Pissed
production 3
performance 4
writing 4
It’s mostly production and singing that hurts this one. The decision to try and rock out with no drums didn’t really work out too well. Acoustic + no drums = hard to be angry.

Slats
production 6
performance 7
writing 7
I don’t have much to say about this. It’s pretty good. The vocals are “peaky” in the eq, in the high mids. The guitar is peaky in the same spots, and it’s a bit much together.
Some Guy Called Noel
production 6
performance 9
writing 8
I like this; If you’re gonna go G&G, go all out on it. The guitar is a bit bass heavy, and the vocals need some “air” at the top of the eq to be heard well. The backing vocals are well placed. I dig the stereo panning.
Squid Bird?
production 7
performance 7
writing 7
LOL “cacaw!” I don’t get the birdness of this. The squeaky chirping gets annoying right quick.
Steve Durand
production 7
performance 7
writing 6
-1 for the (harmonica? melodica?) intro that made me turn the volume down.
Swilington
production 6
performance 6
writing 6
It sounds like you’re using a vocoder because you can’t sing, not because it fits the song.

Todd McHatton
production 8
performance 8
writing 8
Really nice Brian May-ish solo. I don’t know what else to say. Nothing really sticks out, except the tuba. Tuba? Wtf? Nice.

The Weakest suit
production 7
performance 6
writing 6
I realize it’s totally out to lunch that I haven’t mentioned this to some other people, but your lyrics feel a bit trite. I’m not a lyric guy, though, so take that with a grain of salt. What would have helped this song a lot is better tambourine playing, and a non generic Mostess melody.
Wet Towel Society
production 7
performance 7
writing 8
Feels a bit like a showcase of what windows general midi can do. I think this is one of your better vocal performances, though.

The White Hat
production 8
performance 8
writing 8
I really wanted this to bust out into a full on hoedown. I also really want to bust out my own banjo now.
The Worldly Self-Assurance
production 8
performance 8
writing 8
Love that synth bit.
Irwin: I'd sell my soul to jesus to program drums like signboy.
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

signboy wrote:Jon Eric
The vocals feel like they have no air, up in the top end of the eq. Simple fix, and it would make it sound not so home recorded.
This has been a persistent problem with me since I first started recording. Could you elaborate a little?
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
himynameisntmark
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Bass.
Recording Method: GarageBand
Submitting as: Maggie Kanuka

Post by himynameisntmark »

reve wrote:Maggie Kanuka - This was sweet. I thought a beat was going to kick in, a la Casiotone for the Painfully Alone. Might detract, though.
I did think about it, but I was fighting with recording programs the whole time and decided against it.
EmbersOfAutumn wrote:Maggie Kanuka – Ah, piano. I'd see in the future if I could block out the background ambience that's getting picked up. This is a bit Funeral Dirge-ish... It lacks the panache needed for a replay, but there's definitely framework here for something good. 2 of 10.
Unfortunately, my (old) house is downtown and there's quite a bit of background noise. Hopefully after a little more experience with mixing I'll be able to fix that so it's not so obvious.
Heine wrote:Maggie Kanuka - Don't hide your voice in the background, it's beautiful. Something reminds me of John Kincade's Shine on me woman, which I really like.
signboy wrote:You’ve got a great voice, but it sounds like you’re trying to keeps it under wraps.
Also, are you recording a real piano? It sounds like it harder to do than it sounds like.
I'm still trying to get over the fact that I don't like the sound of my own voice but I'll try not to hide it in the future. Yes, it's a real piano; I tried a few different mic positions and that was the best sounding.
"Shakespeare hates your emo poems."
reve
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Soldering iron.
Recording Method: Reaper.
Submitting as: R., Chth*.*, etc.

Post by reve »

himynameisntmark wrote:
reve wrote:Maggie Kanuka - This was sweet. I thought a beat was going to kick in, a la Casiotone for the Painfully Alone. Might detract, though.
I did think about it, but I was fighting with recording programs the whole time and decided against it.
Meh, probably for the best. Because if you drop the beat you have to fight against the cheese. It's harder to do now than it was 5-10 years ago.
-- reve mosquito.
BabylonHoruv
A New Player
Instruments: Drums, vocals, production
Recording Method: Soundforge, Acid, Fruity Loops
Submitting as: Babylon Horuv

Post by BabylonHoruv »

signboy wrote:-------------------------------------------------------------
Babylon Horuv Feat. Pandamonieum & Atryom
production 3
performance 3
writing 2
Your vocal part is very muddy. Some better mic’ing and eq’ing. The only thing that
Got this up to a 2 on writing was the story line.

Thanks for the review. I got a new mic for Christmas and finally have a converter so I can plug it in. So my vocals should be much less muddy in the future.
signboy
Mean Street

Post by signboy »

Generic wrote:
signboy wrote:Jon Eric
The vocals feel like they have no air, up in the top end of the eq. Simple fix, and it would make it sound not so home recorded.
This has been a persistent problem with me since I first started recording. Could you elaborate a little?
"air" in the vocals is the range of eq above say, 15khz. It's the high end breathiness that is activated by the upper end of the eq, and is heard as "closeness" or "liveliness". Since high frequencies don't travel through space or material as well as bass frequencies do, humans have learned to associate high frequencies with "present" and "right in front of me".
Since it's easier to remove than it is to add any specific frequencies in the mix, you are probably missing out by not mic'ing the "air" in the first place. If you're using a cardioid mic such as a Shure SM 58, you are probably recording with the mic close to your face, which enhances the bass frequencies.

Ken says: I tend to roll off as much low end as I can for clarity, boost a little bit at 1.5K for presence and then a slight high shelf at 10K for "air".
http://songfight.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5956
signboy
Mean Street

Post by signboy »

himynameisntmark wrote:
signboy wrote:You’ve got a great voice, but it sounds like you’re trying to keeps it under wraps.
I'm still trying to get over the fact that I don't like the sound of my own voice but I'll try not to hide it in the future.
Last edited by signboy on Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.