Nur Ein VII Round One "Architect"

There can be only one.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Re: Nur Ein VII: Round One

Post by Caravan Ray »

Tawnee wrote: It's a barrage of contradictory feedback from anonymous strangers that's nearly impossible to process in any meaningful way.
Sounds like my life.
Ross
DALL-E
Instruments: Guitar, Vox, Bass, Tuned glasses, etc...
Recording Method: Logic on a Macbook.
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Ross »

Tawnee wrote:What does it matter, that its two different responses. The judges deliberate and develop a consensus, don't they? It's a barrage of contradictory feedback from anonymous strangers that's nearly impossible to process in any meaningful way. I don'w know what kind of person you are but if you're bad you'll keep me in the contest so I can die at my computer for lack of sunlight and air.
The judges do not deliberate and develop consensus. They each make rankings separately and those rankings are given point values.

If i understand your question.
"I don't like this song, but at least it's good." - veGetar Ianra Ge
http://www.rossdurandmusic.com
nyjm
Grok
Instruments: acoustic guitar, electric guitar, synth, various MIDI instruments
Recording Method: Reaper, Line 6 POD, GLS Audio 57 and 58
Submitting as: noah mclaughlin, Ford's Theater Disaster, Juliet's Happy Dagger

Post by nyjm »

There is no deliberation, only the aggregation of our ranking scores.
"You sound like the ghost of David Bowie." - SchlimminyCricket | it was a pleasure to burn | my website | Juliet's Happy Dagger
BoffoYux
Claude
Instruments: Keys, Clunking, SFX and Strings
Recording Method: Audacity, Adobe, and other 'A' titled software
Submitting as: Boffo Yux Dudes

Post by BoffoYux »

Just in case you're new here (Like me) there is a place to post your lyrics in the archives. It's here
http://songfight.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8523
For Round 1 songs. Changes every round.

I noticed not everyone has been posting theirs, so they might not know it's up in another section of the forums.
roymond
Gemini
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin
Pronouns: he/him

Post by roymond »

Tawnee wrote:What does it matter, that its two different responses. The judges deliberate and develop a consensus, don't they? It's a barrage of contradictory feedback from anonymous strangers that's nearly impossible to process in any meaningful way. I don'w know what kind of person you are but if you're bad you'll keep me in the contest so I can die at my computer for lack of sunlight and air.
Dude, chill out. You've created a pretty complex paranoiac drama and you're the only one riding that train. What you have going on right now is, on one hand, a small fan base due to your extreme unwarranted reactions, and on the other a growing base of haters due to your assholeness. You are your own worse enemy, especially since you're obviously talented and witty. Focus on your music, take advice with grains of salt, but consider what's asked of you.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
JonPorobil
Gemini
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

Alright, I've listened to the songs now. I won't have time for full reviews, but here's the highlights.

BGM and Frankie - Leave some meat on the bone for the rest us, willya?
Chris - you're the only guy I know who can do Ted Nugent one week and then Simon & Garfunkel the next.
Ligers - Screw you too.
Manhattan - Oh, fer chrissakes. The one week I thought I had the most unexpected genre shift, you scooped me again!
Ross - A solid return to form. Expect a high ranking.
Snappy & Floyd - You really think your self-ref rant was so good it was worth ten minutes of our time? Also, one of you can't rap. And two of you can't sing.

I predict BGM for the win (again), and eliminations for Joann, Ligers, and S&F.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
BenKrieger
DeepMind
Instruments: A lot of instruments passably.
Recording Method: Sonar, UA preamp, Apogee Rosetta converter; Garage Band; Zoom recorder; iPhone
Submitting as: Boop Boop, Chokehold Princess, Rattlebox, Oystercatcher, Solo Frijoles

Post by BenKrieger »

I debuted "Architect" live tonight and in trying to replicate the ending, somehow managed to impale and raise a stool off the ground, splitting the headstock on my guitar.
Ross
DALL-E

Post by Ross »

BenKrieger wrote:I debuted "Architect" live tonight and in trying to replicate the ending, somehow managed to impale and raise a stool off the ground, splitting the headstock on my guitar.
Dislike.
BenKrieger
DeepMind
Instruments: A lot of instruments passably.
Recording Method: Sonar, UA preamp, Apogee Rosetta converter; Garage Band; Zoom recorder; iPhone
Submitting as: Boop Boop, Chokehold Princess, Rattlebox, Oystercatcher, Solo Frijoles

Post by BenKrieger »

The game is the game!
Ross
DALL-E

Post by Ross »

The dislike is about splitting your headstock, not the rest. If you were out west I'd refer you to the place that fixed my headstock when I ran over my guitar :-)
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

My rankings:

Ross Durand
Sausage
Chris Coggott
Rabid Garfunkel
Chocolate Chips
Adam Adamant
Merisan
Oystercatcher
BGM
Ligers with Attitude
ADD
Manhattan Glutton
DJ Ranger Den
Idiot Kings
Gooey Caramel Centaur
Jon Eric
Frankie Big Face
Worldly Self Assurance
Wreckdom
JoAnne Abbott
Snappy & Floyd
Boffo Yux Dudes
WreckdoMelle
DeepMind
Instruments: Gibson SG, clarinet, tuba, bass guitar, baritone horn, mandolin, vox, sax (sorta)
Recording Method: Bitwig Studio
Submitting as: Brown Word and the Big Whine, sometimes WreckdoM
Pronouns: she/her

Post by WreckdoMelle »

Greetings friends! Hope I'm not too late getting on the boards to join in the fun. Some good stuff out there this week. Dubstep, 9 minute rap, a lot of neat folksy sounding tunes. Lots of sad songs. Why so sad guys? Is architect a somber occupation?
“This is pandemonium, like a Heironymus Bosch painting set to music” - Pannacotta Army
Brown Word and the Big Whine on Bandcamp:
http://brownwordandthebigwhine.bandcamp.com
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

WreckdoMelle wrote: Is architect a somber occupation?
Yes. Middle aged men with flowery shirts and pony-tails are pretty sad.

(...says the middle aged civil engineer pictured wearing an inflatable sumo wrestler suit)
Niveous
Gemini
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

BenKrieger wrote:I debuted "Architect" live tonight and in trying to replicate the ending, somehow managed to impale and raise a stool off the ground, splitting the headstock on my guitar.
I knew I should've gone to Sidewalk last night!
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Manhattan Glutton
Grok
Instruments: Angst
Recording Method: REAPER

Post by Manhattan Glutton »

Tawnee wrote:It's a barrage of contradictory feedback from anonymous strangers that's nearly impossible to process in any meaningful way.
WELCOME TO SONG FIGHT!
That's the most concise definition I've ever read. That needs to be on the wiki.
If I had a dollar for every one of my songs j$ has called a 90s pastiche, I'd have $1 for every song I've written.

Nur Ein Archives | The New Ugly Podcast
JonPorobil
Gemini

Post by JonPorobil »

Generic wrote: Ligers - Screw you too.
You know what? I'm sorry, that was uncharacteristically mean of me. I take it back. However, consider this:

There's 22 acts other than Ligers with Attitude in this competition. Of those 22, three are duos and one is a quartet (I think WreckdoM is a duo; if I'm wrong about that, then feel free to correct my math accordingly). That makes 28 musicians in the competition, plus the five judges. LWA, you've released a song whose premise can only be understood by those 33 people (out of some seven billion in the world), and you're using your three minutes on the soapbox specifically to diss us. I would understand if this were just ribbing in good fun, but you also made several comments on the board to indicate that your song is not a tribute to your competition, but rather a summary of how you feel about it. Well, fair enough.

But you made it so in-jokey. And so specific to the circumstances of this particular contest. Who do you think will get this song? Who will appreciate it? Who, in short, is it for? Because I seriously doubt you'll curry favor by using your song as a bully pulpit to bash this competition and all your fellow competitors. You're musically competent, and the challenge is well-met here, but if I were a judge, I'd feel compelled to put you near the very bottom of the heap just for poor sportsmanship.

And even if the judges hold themselves to the highest standard of objectivity (unlikely), and even if they genuinely like your song better than any of the others (unlikelier), and continue to do so through this whole competition until you're one of the final two (ha!), then the people voting on whether you become the champion are going to be us, the 21 acts who've been eliminated by that point. And after your behavior, how do you think you're going to be treated?

Your songs don't suck, but they're not that great. Get over yourself. Play the competition like the rest of us. Take your licks and move on. You're not going to argue or bully us into thinking that you wrote the only good song last round—or even that it was a contender for the best song. If you don't like how you ranked in round 0, then quit whining and do better next time.

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
glennny
DALL-E
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

A) I'm insulted that I wasn't directly insulted in the track
B) It is called song FIGHT, fighting is fun and welcome
C) I didn't hear much of a round in their track
D) Awesome singing! Reminded me of Monty Python more than anything
E) with an in your face no mistake round, I think it could have taken the win
F) the name LWA is still cracking me up
G) a barrage of contradictory feedback is the best part, it gets meaningful once you get to know the sources
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
JonPorobil
Gemini

Post by JonPorobil »

H) NO IT'S NOT. THE BARRAGE OF CONTRADICTORY FEEDBACK SUCKS!

....had to be done.

Jefff
DeepMind
Submitting as: PPV

Post by Jefff »

glennny wrote:G) a barrage of contradictory feedback is the best part, it gets meaningful once you get to know the sources
True. If you hate all the songs somebody liked better than yours, then you have been complimented.
Manhattan Glutton
Grok
Instruments: Angst
Recording Method: REAPER

Post by Manhattan Glutton »

If I had a dollar for every one of my songs j$ has called a 90s pastiche, I'd have $1 for every song I've written.

Nur Ein Archives | The New Ugly Podcast
chocolatechips
DeepMind
Submitting as: The Chocolate Chips

Post by chocolatechips »

Contradictory feedback is the nature of reality, isn't it? Everyone has different opinions on what is good and what is bad. In Round 0 I got a 2nd place ranking from one judge and dead last from another. You can't get much more contradictory than that. But that's just how it is, it's generally impossible to please everyone (although I guess bgm did in round 0) ... and if it's a choice of having everyone go "meh, it's OK" or having some people love (and some hate) what I'm doing than I'll take the latter.

The idea (at least for me) is to try to find an audience that enjoys what I do (and to improve what I do of course, I want to get much better) ... so it's better in that case to have some people love what you do (even if it means putting off a lot of other people) than to have everyone just say it's OK - because people never become real fans of something they think is just OK.

Another point: No matter how well you do whatever it is you are trying to do, some people aren't going to get it. You could make the best hip hop in the world and a lot of people aren't going to give a damn. Same goes for any other kind of music... especially these days. So many people are into their own little subgenres of music and have little patience for anything else.
JonPorobil
Gemini

Post by JonPorobil »

chocolatechips wrote:Contradictory feedback is the nature of reality, isn't it? Everyone has different opinions on what is good and what is bad. In Round 0 I got a 2nd place ranking from one judge and dead last from another. You can't get much more contradictory than that. But that's just how it is, it's generally impossible to please everyone (although I guess bgm did in round 0) ... and if it's a choice of having everyone go "meh, it's OK" or having some people love (and some hate) what I'm doing than I'll take the latter.

The idea (at least for me) is to try to find an audience that enjoys what I do (and to improve what I do of course, I want to get much better) ... so it's better in that case to have some people love what you do (even if it means putting off a lot of other people) than to have everyone just say it's OK - because people never become real fans of something they think is just OK.

Another point: No matter how well you do whatever it is you are trying to do, some people aren't going to get it. You could make the best hip hop in the world and a lot of people aren't going to give a damn. Same goes for any other kind of music... especially these days. So many people are into their own little subgenres of music and have little patience for anything else.
I'll do you one better - in Nur Ein VI, Round 2, I ranked first in one judge's rankings, and last in another's. I don't know if anyone else has ever done that in a round with more than four people in it.

EDIT: I found a couple of other examples:

Howl Down the Chimney managed it back in "Bullets and Lovers," which was Nur Ein IV, Round 1: http://sfbase.net/wiki/Bullets_and_Lovers_(Nur_Ein_IV)
Swilington pulled it off back in "What Once Was Grand," Nur Ein IV, Round 4. http://sfbase.net/wiki/Bullets_and_Lovers_(Nur_Ein_IV)
In "'97," Round 3 of Nur Ein V, Who Fly managed to score perfect marks from one judge while getting a single point each from two others. http://sfbase.net/wiki/%2797_(Nur_Ein_V)
In "Not In This Lifetime," Round 4 of Nur Ein V, Billy's Little Trip got first place from one judge and last place from another. http://sfbase.net/wiki/Not_In_This_Lifetime_(Nur_Ein_V)
Boop Boop did it in "Headphones," Round 6 of Nur Ein V. He survived the round anyway, and the following week he was crowned champion. http://sfbase.net/wiki/Headphones_(Nur_Ein_V)
Last edited by JonPorobil on Tue May 01, 2012 2:33 pm, edited 5 times in total.