You can do better than that (Half Hearted Stab Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

mr_lostman wrote:Big Mountain Fudge Cake
Contaminated Land Team
Danyer
Janie Loves Chachkies
Micheal Maas
Ross Durand
Sorry Brad
Steve Durand
you're doing wonders for my self-esteem issues, thanks.
Denyer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Dunlop KT-26
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Denyer »

the voice inside your head
This reminds me of the time I accidentally sent a song to bassfight.com. The bass part is good but I don't know why you need the intro to be half the song. After that sounds like Rone Rivendale fucking around in fruity loops, though it was funny when it came in. I can't understand what you're saying, or really even hear what the music's doing. It would have been funnier with a few minutes of bass before the 30 second song. I wouldn't mind stealing the bass one day.
Ross
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Vox, Bass, Tuned glasses, etc...
Recording Method: Logic on a Macbook.
Submitting as: Ross Durand

brief reviews

Post by Ross »

Ok, So I listened a few times in my car. Here's my thoughts as I sit here on my couch.

Sorry Brad - Okay. I guess it would work well under film scenes of some guy trying to steal jewels in the pre-title segement of a crime film. I'm not sure it isn't just a bunch of loops put together. I'm a bit of a "song" definition snob, so this is not high in my book.

Danyer - I don't like the crass stuff. I'm the father of two "little girls." If you're looking to be offensive...congratulations.

Joanie - I feel like this is a personal song about someone I don't know, so the value is decreased. I also was kind of disappointed that the male vocal was unison instead of harmony - that would have made a huge difference for me.

Steve - nice. very thick. The horns seem mixed high for me and I think there might be one too many times through the guitar lick. I also had a slight feeling this might not really be called "Half-hearted stab" on the jacket. Otherwise, very nice writing.

Micheal - good poppy stuff. As of this moment (without listening right now) that's all i can think to say.

TVOYH - did very little for me. I know you posted the lyrics, but I guess I figure if you can't make any of them out without looking, that detracts. The time changes seem insignificant as a listener, since it seemd like a lot of 1/32. listen to YYZ again. Lots of noise.

CLT - I like this stuff, I still say you need to get "The Blow Up" by Television. I also still wish the lyrics held together better. That is a major drawback for me in the context of a title driven fight.

Ross Durand - I agree with the previous reviews. I wish I had had more time to spend, as this was not conceived as a solo-acoustic piece. I described it to friends as the acoustic version of itself, where the acoustic verison would have gotten a lot of airplay after being recorded live on KROQ (los angeles). Still an okay little song. I wish I had better words for the second verse, but I like the way the chorus changes.

BMFC- yep. I think this is what you wanted. I'm not in line for ths CD at Best Buy.

Good - Joanie, steve, michael, CLT and Me. I think I'd put Steve and CLT at the top.
"I don't like this song, but at least it's good." - veGetar Ianra Ge
http://www.rossdurandmusic.com
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, programming
Recording Method: Cubase, Reason
Submitting as: Balance Lost

Post by furrypedro »

I'll bet a piece of flapjack with somebody that Plat and I are gonna win....

anyone?

chickens
maasman
A New Player

Post by maasman »

Hey, cool. My first win. Nice fight, all.
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Furrypedro wrote:I'll bet a piece of flapjack with somebody that Plat and I are gonna win....

anyone?

chickens
I like the ones with chocolate on top. In fact, why not DHL me five, to cover where you actually came?

j$
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, programming
Recording Method: Cubase, Reason
Submitting as: Balance Lost

Post by furrypedro »

j$ wrote:why not...?
good question...

here's what you could have won

nice one Michael, you deserve a real flapjack but you'll have to make it yourself :wink:
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

And here's what you could have won.

I'd prefer Luke myself.