Downtime, with music. (Convalescence reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Reist
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Drums, Guitar
Recording Method: Yamaha AW1600, Reaper
Submitting as: Therman

Post by Reist »

I was definitely going to review, but it's loading too slow. Maybe tonight.
Zoosneakers
A New Player

Post by Zoosneakers »

Eric - I called your song nerdcore because your mp3 says "Nerdcord Superhero" on it. But there are few more ignorant of rap/hiphop styles than I am. So your clarification is helpful.

Also my review is stupidly harsh. What I really meant to say in my review is that you do your style of music well, but I'm not that into the style. It came out sounding more critical than I meant it to.

Anyway, keep being you and doing your music, nerdcore or otherwise.
WesDavis
Push Comes to Shove

Post by WesDavis »

Zoosneakers wrote:
Wes Davis - Nice singing, catchy little guitar part. The harmony is very nice. A little light, but... Good song.
Yeah, I wanted to thicken up the sound, but I ran out of time. Also I'm not very good at mastering yet, and I have shitty recording software.
Am I rockin' hard, or hardly rockin'?
hillbilly

Post by hillbilly »

worms---- I;d like to hear a good recording of this. sweet
Ross
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Vox, Bass, Tuned glasses, etc...
Recording Method: Logic on a Macbook.
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Ross »

jolly roger wrote:
rdurand wrote:
jolly roger wrote: By day, I'm assuming you mean week?
Then spud wrote
I will wait a week just to be ornery...
Thanks for nothin', Roger.
I shamed him into it! - it was updated in a few days! You should be thanking me! 8)

ps. thanks for posting the fixed version of my song. You guys rock.
I did thank you;-)
Thanks for nothin', Roger.
No hard feelings intended.:-)

Either way, glad the songs are up - woo hoo!
"I don't like this song, but at least it's good." - veGetar Ianra Ge
http://www.rossdurandmusic.com
Erwin Cloibhofer
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Pronouns: _

Post by Erwin Cloibhofer »

----------
Last edited by Erwin Cloibhofer on Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WesDavis
Push Comes to Shove

Post by WesDavis »

Alright, more reviews!

Cranial Biffeda

This is a pretty entertaining intro so far. I'm wondering if the singing will ever begin, though, or if I'm just going to have to listen to this dumb robot voice the whole time. Now it's just starting to sound repetitive. And it also sounds like a bad sci-fi action thriller's shitty metal theme. The whole song sort of sounds like it's stuck in intro mode. Aaaand I skipped it about 3/4 of the way through. Such a shame, it started out sounding like it was going to be entertaining.

Steve Hand Puppet

The vocals are...not good, not bad. The music is entertaining, though I'm not sure if it's enough to save the song. The lyrics are silly. Yeah, this just isn't my thing at all.

Ross Durand

I love those hand claps and snaps. The guitar also sounds nice. The only weak thing so far is the vocs. Your singing isn't horrible, I just think the sound is a little weird. I think on the double claps in the chorus you maybe should've alternated between single and double claps, though. Hmmm...maybe the vocals are just a bit too loud in the mix? I dunno. I like the song though. I'd be interested in hearing a more final mix. Those "do dos" are great.

Paco del Stinko

This is really full sounding. The guitars are great, the vocals are pretty appropriate. Just short enough to not get annoying. Not a bad entry!

Ross Durand

The vocals are a little annoying, but the lyrics are pretty amusing. Those horns are great. Are they real? If so I'm damned impressed. The music's great! Yeah, I enjoyed this a fair bit. The weakest part is the vocals, but they aren't too bad.

Masterhyde

This is far better rap than the other one. The flow remains consistent for the most part, save a couple of hiccups. It's kind of uninteresting, but it's not painful to listen to by any means.

Flvxxvm Florvm

I never liked this kind of distortion. I guess it has its place, I just never liked it. Also the drums are far too quiet in the mix. Not digging the vocals either. Sorry, this just isn't really my thing.

Billy's Little Trip

The music's alright, but the vocs completely ruin this for me. Sorry dude.

Damien Verrett

This is fun. I like this. It sounds like an old Nintendo or Genesis game. Oh man banjos! I love you. I might even vote for you. This song is so fit for someone with attention problems. You just keep changing instruments! Of course, I'm sure chances are very, very good that most of this was synthesized, but it sounds fun, and that's what matters.

Alright, this is all the reviews I have in me for now. Currently, Damien Verrett is in the lead, but I hear good things about wormsweater, so I look forward to hearing that!
Damien Verrett (Jonas)
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Damien Verrett (Jonas) »

Actually, the only thing synthesized was the beat.
Steve Durand
Panama
Instruments: trumpet, trombone, sax, clarinet, flute, keyboards, banjo, guitar, bass, ukulele
Recording Method: SONAR 6, Dell Inspiron E1705, Edirol UA-25, Studio Projects B-1 Mic
Submitting as: Steve Durand, Elastic Waste Band

Post by Steve Durand »

WesDavis wrote:
Ross Durand

The vocals are a little annoying, but the lyrics are pretty amusing. Those horns are great. Are they real? If so I'm damned impressed. The music's great! Yeah, I enjoyed this a fair bit. The weakest part is the vocals, but they aren't too bad.
I'm pretty sure that this review is actually for me (Steve Durand). Yes the horns are real. The vocals are always the weakest part of my songs :( .

Thanks for reviewing!

Steve
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture" -Unknown
"Seems to me this is the point of Songfight" - Max The Cat
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

i'm mirroring the fight, in case there's something longer-term going on with songfight. i'm doing it from another dreamhost box and still only getting 20k/s thruput, soooo... it's wanged. :| the download speed from my dreamhost box is normal, tho.

mirror-using playlist is http://www.b-side.org/music/songfight/c ... aylist.m3u

eta is prolly 1.5 hrs from this post.
Ross
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Vox, Bass, Tuned glasses, etc...
Recording Method: Logic on a Macbook.
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Ross »

WesDavis wrote: Ross Durand
I love those hand claps and snaps. The guitar also sounds nice. The only weak thing so far is the vocs. Your singing isn't horrible, I just think the sound is a little weird. I think on the double claps in the chorus you maybe should've alternated between single and double claps, though. Hmmm...maybe the vocals are just a bit too loud in the mix? I dunno. I like the song though. I'd be interested in hearing a more final mix. Those "do dos" are great.
I agree about the vocals , I rerecorded with a different mic and I think it's better (maybe still a little hot in the mix at the beginning). Anyway, you can find what I think is a better mix <a href="http://www.rossdurand.com/rossdurand2_c.mp3">here.</a>
"I don't like this song, but at least it's good." - veGetar Ianra Ge
http://www.rossdurandmusic.com
WesDavis
Push Comes to Shove

Post by WesDavis »

sdurand wrote:
WesDavis wrote:
Ross Durand

I'm pretty sure that this review is actually for me (Steve Durand). Yes the horns are real. The vocals are always the weakest part of my songs :( .

Thanks for reviewing!

Steve
Yeah that was for you, sorry about that. I remember seeing Ross Durand around back when I used to do Songfight a while back, so I guess I just automatically typed that. But yeah, the vocs may be weak, but you're a great musician, which is something I wish I could say about myself.
WesDavis
Push Comes to Shove

Post by WesDavis »

rdurand wrote:
WesDavis wrote: Ross Durand
I agree about the vocals , I rerecorded with a different mic and I think it's better (maybe still a little hot in the mix at the beginning). Anyway, you can find what I think is a better mix <a href="http://www.rossdurand.com/rossdurand2_c.mp3">here.</a>
Yeah that does definitely sound a lot better.
WesDavis
Push Comes to Shove

Post by WesDavis »

Thanks to Blue, I can finish doing the reviews!

Atonal Coil Brothers

I think these vocals are a little inappropriate for the style. I don't know what the appropriate style would be. Also, the guitar sometimes gets distractingly out of time. This song just sorta sounds like maybe it wasn't finished. It's alright.

Caravan Ray

Say, you've come a long way in the last year! I like this song; it's cute. I love the electronic elements. Oh man the end is great too. To be honest, I didn't like your stuff back when I was doing stuff with Pipefist, but you've definitely boned up on your skills in the last year!

Eidolon

Love the sound of your guitar, and that electric. One thing's for sure; it's definitely an Eidolon song! I probably won't vote for it, but it's entertaining, still.

Ephedream

Haha this song is cheesy in beautiful ways. It also sounds really nice, as far as the quality. Everything seems to be placed very well in the mix, and it's all nice and clear. Nice ending, too.

Jim Tyrrell

This isn't my style of music at all, but the sound is nice and crisp. I can't really give it anything but that.

Jolly Roger

Oh no this mix is terrible man. I can't understand the lyrics, and the drums and bass are far too quiet. A shame, because it's always pleasant to hear a full band on Songfight.

Klownhole

That's a pretty wonderful intro. Wait a minute. What's Doctor Orpheus doing singing on Songfight? Dammit, now I have to make an entry as Brock Samson. I wonder how Patrick Warburton would sing.... Haha, I'm really glad that you pull my soul out from behind my ear, rather than a nickel.

Wormsweater

I'm impressed! Nobody is lying, this is great stuff. I made three babies while listening to it. Get a better mix and I want to have it for my own listening pleasure(if that's okay).

Zoosneakers

Haha your God voice sounds like Richard Pryor. Well, in one part it did. This is a fairly amusing tune. Not great, but it's funny.

Spinlock

Not my thing. Kind of sounds in some places like it's a theme song for a family-friendly sitcom from the early 90's. It's not bad for what it is, though, I reckon.

Swilington

This is very pleasant. Soothing, even! It is convalescence to my ears. God I'm lame.

Well, I think that's everybody! If I missed you, please tell me. I don't know who I'm going to vote for right now. There are a few pretty great songs, so I'll deliberate this week.
Last edited by WesDavis on Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jeff robertson
Panama
Instruments: guitar, bass, programming
Recording Method: Reaper, Audacity
Submitting as: FLVXXVM FLORVM, Jeff Robertson and the Neo-Candylanders
Pronouns: he/him

Post by jeff robertson »

some reviews. I know I won't make it all the way through.

Atonal Coil Bros

I haven't bothered to read the rest of the thread to know who's in what bands, but this is Wages, right? Your usual harsh guitar sound works because a more polished sound would've made this song too mellow. Your vocals continue to improve. Who is this a collab with anyway?

Billy's Little Trip

I like the the auto-wah (or whatever that is) in the first 20 seconds or so, wouldn't liked for it to stay. Is it just me, or do you sound at times like you're trying to sound like you have a cockney accent?

Booty Chesterfield Trio

Those drums are real, right? They make me jealous.

Caravan Ray

I now fully expect to see you as the next Aussie to make it big in up here as a a kid's TV star, following in the Wiggles footsteps. Jesus.

Cranial Biffida

I'm not sure I'd listen to this all the way through, but the Doom samples keep my attention. It's probably lost on people too young to have really played anything but Doom 3 though.

... more later?
wages
Panama
Instruments: Vocals, Rhythm Guitar
Recording Method: Zoom h4n, Audacity
Submitting as: Wages

Post by wages »

jeff robertson wrote: Atonal Coil Bros
I haven't bothered to read the rest of the thread to know who's in what bands, but this is Wages, right? Your usual harsh guitar sound works because a more polished sound would've made this song too mellow. Your vocals continue to improve. Who is this a collab with anyway?
Vocals, guitar, chorus drums, poor mixing = Wages
smooth keys = Heuristics Inc
great bass lines = Billy's Little Trip
verse drums = loop

I really felt that Billy's bass lines and Heuristics keys really made this tune much better. As a collaborative effort and a stepping stone to a better sound, I am pretty pleased with this track. Had I been all alone on this piece, I think it would have felt very confusing with the two or three guitars I was trying to cram in there. I can't thank these guys enough!
Wages - Hoglen & Wages - The Affirmative Mention - Gawking Urethras - The EAF - and more
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

jeff robertson wrote:
Caravan Ray... following in the Wiggles footsteps. Jesus.
I am the beige Wiggle
Meatwad
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Meatwad »

WesDavis wrote:
Klownhole
That's a pretty wonderful intro. Wait a minute. What's Doctor Orpheus doing singing on Songfight? Dammit, now I have to make an entry as Brock Samson. I wonder how Patrick Warburton would sing.... Haha, I'm really glad that you pull my soul out from behind my ear, rather than a nickel.
You are my new favorite person on Songfight for knowing that was Doctor Orpheus.
Smalltown Mike
Mean Street
Submitting as: shrts, Sewer Ppl, Flaming Tiger, shrts, shot pounder, Gert, Slither, Gaping Maw
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Smalltown Mike »

I like the ephedream track.

A lot.

It's so stupid it's good.
Punk rock is for children. Grab a six-pack at Half-a-Dozen Records.
boltoph
Panama
Submitting as: Gert

Post by boltoph »

Smalltown Mike wrote:I like the ephedream track.
I was just sitting here, sucking it, and wondering, is ephedream the one that is "adult" in nature? Has to be....that "lessons" line is just scary. It's like audio snuff .

Wes Davis you're such a fucker. You with your mad soulful vocal stylings. Love it!
booty
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by booty »

[quote="jeff robertson"]some reviews. I know I won't make it all the way through.

Booty Chesterfield Trio

Those drums are real, right? They make me jealous.

Drums=Paco de Pico...all in one take (I swear). Also, note the specially mic'd cowbell.
WesDavis
Push Comes to Shove

Post by WesDavis »

Meatwad wrote:
WesDavis wrote:
Klownhole
You are my new favorite person on Songfight for knowing that was Doctor Orpheus.
No problem, you did a badass Doctor Orpheus. You should do it forever.