Cute Prefight

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
JonPorobil
Gemini
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

Can anyone help me with some drums? PM me.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Ross
DALL-E
Instruments: Guitar, Vox, Bass, Tuned glasses, etc...
Recording Method: Logic on a Macbook.
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Ross »

Looking quite likely that Syd and Me will be in.
"I don't like this song, but at least it's good." - veGetar Ianra Ge
http://www.rossdurandmusic.com
jimtyrrell
Mr. Beast
Instruments: Guitar/bass/keys
Recording Method: Various. Mostly Garageband these days, actually.
Submitting as: Jim Tyrrell

Post by jimtyrrell »

Okay, I'm in. This is, I believe, my first fight submission on which I did not play all the instruments. That's Alex Bobb on the bass, and Michelle Bobb on the drums. Thanks folks, be sure to tip your waitresses.
EmbersOfAutumn
Mixtral
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Bass, Keyboards
Recording Method: Adobe Audition
Submitting as: Embers of Autumn

Post by EmbersOfAutumn »

I think i'm out for this one. I have the chords and the progression and everything, but the damndest thing happened. Apparently, i had been away and unpracticed with my electric guitar for so long, my fingers started to hurt after going through the riffs a few times. I should suck it up like a man and finish, but.......

my fingers hurt really bad....
"Out of all I've learned in Life,
You always keep your friends close to your heart,
cause they'll help you if you're falling down..."
- The Ataris - Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, B, A, Start
Ross
DALL-E
Instruments: Guitar, Vox, Bass, Tuned glasses, etc...
Recording Method: Logic on a Macbook.
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Ross »

jimtyrrell wrote:Okay, I'm in. This is, I believe, my first fight submission on which I did not play all the instruments. That's Alex Bobb on the bass, and Michelle Bobb on the drums. Thanks folks, be sure to tip your waitresses.
And Jim-bob on guitar and vocals?
"I don't like this song, but at least it's good." - veGetar Ianra Ge
http://www.rossdurandmusic.com
Stu
Llama
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Keyboards, Finale
Recording Method: Adobe Audition
Submitting as: Stu Jordan, Theophilus Monk, The 'Scow

Post by Stu »

Hey guys, I'm new and I thought I might let you know that I plan on submitting something this week. I've submitted a few times under the name Theophilus Monk while working with Marcus Kellis, who I'm sure you all know. I don't really know what the code is for introductions, but here I am!

I caught the bug to start submitting stuff more often when Theophilus Monk attempted a submission for The Last Year, but ran out of time.

Thanks!
JonPorobil
Gemini

Post by JonPorobil »

Well, I'm out. Stuff happened. Damn. I'd like to finish both this entry and my "They Control the Weather" some time in the next week, so keep an eye on Somesongs (well, keep an eye on Somesongs anyway, but yeah)!

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
The Weakest Suit
Mixtral
Submitting as: The Weakest Suit, Test Week Hiatus, Observati, Alienboy, FAWMit, FACE, Epitaphs
Pronouns: he/him

Post by The Weakest Suit »

i'm in for cute boots as well.
Thanks For The Frisbee
DeepMind
Instruments: mine
Recording Method: wishful thinking
Submitting as: Thanks for the Frisbee

Post by Thanks For The Frisbee »

im in for cute boots. i took the challenge of recording live, which i was conditioned never to do when i first started fighting :lol:
Thanks for the frisbee is on Spotify, iTunes, Apple Music ect.
MintyHandy
Mixtral
Instruments: None
Recording Method: None

ARGH!!!

Post by MintyHandy »

You gotta be kidding me.

I knew Cute Boots was the title, and after bouncing around a children's song idea for a while, I hit on a much better idea for the song about an hour ago, got out of bed and sat in a dark kitchen writing it and working it out. I've got the chords, the strumming patterns, and a verse and chorus.

Trouble is, I've got a cold, and so I can't actually sing. And so I log in before going to bed again, to see if I'll have this weekend to get over my cold and record...and it's due TOMORROW MORNING. And I have work to do before 9am, before I leave for work.

But! I am determined. At 9am, I am going to croak out the best rendition of this song that I can (probably with another verse; I tend to wake up with additional verses in my head) and submit whatever comes out.

Damn you, songfight! DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOU!

(fair warning: it takes more than lung congestion and a crippled throat to sound like Tom Waits. Right now I sound more like Tom Wait-and-see-how-bad-it-can-be)
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

jeff robertson wrote:
The Weakest Suit wrote: i've never promised quality, rarely has it been present in the fights i've listened to, and never has it been present in my submissions. i don't listen to the songs here for quality, i listen for the inspiration and inventiveness that comes with working under the deadlines and conditions that this site imposes.
That said, I do believe my songs have improved in quality since my first fight. Not necessarily improving in every fight, but improving on average over the course of months and years.

My songwriting skills will probably remain on the same plateau they've been on for over a decade, as will my guitar chops. But if I didn't think I was gradually improving in terms of overall sound quality, I'd probably find a different hobby.
My songs have become much more mature. I hardly sing about dick at all anymore.

EDIT - that should read my dick. I don't think I have ever sung about anyone elses dick. That would be weird. My song this week contains severel references to my dick. Not dick in general. Just wanted to clear that up.
Last edited by Caravan Ray on Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
jimtyrrell
Mr. Beast
Instruments: Guitar/bass/keys
Recording Method: Various. Mostly Garageband these days, actually.
Submitting as: Jim Tyrrell

Post by jimtyrrell »

My sincere apologies to the Fightmaster. I had to re-submit my song. The first version was mixed way too high. The recording quality is a bit rough as it is, being a live capture, and the mix made it pretty unlistenable. I wish I'd tested it on different systems before sending it off.

In any case, I've sent an updated version. Again, I'm very sorry for the extra work this puts you through. If the fight doesn't get posted in a timely manner, it's my fault, guys. :(
LSK
Alpaca
Recording Method: Reaper and a $10 microphone
Submitting as: CD the Remix

Post by LSK »

I'm in with an instrumental. This is probably the first SongFight I'm entering with... well, an actual song.
roymond
Gemini
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

LSK wrote:I'm in with an instrumental. This is probably the first SongFight I'm entering with... well, an actual song.
OK, re-read your own words and think about them.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
JonPorobil
Gemini

Post by JonPorobil »

Given LSK's "Mr. Sandwich," I'd be willing to call an instrumental a real song, provided the instrumental were long and thought-out enough. I look forward to tearing it down in review form. :wink:

roymond
Gemini
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

I'm in. Not live, though it was premiered live last week with the same instrumentation :)
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
Lord of Oats
Grok

Post by Lord of Oats »

I'm in and stuff.
Rabid Garfunkel
DALL-E
Instruments: Absurdity
Recording Method: iPhone, GarageBand & rando apps/toys
Submitting as: OZYMANDIPUS, Rabid Garfunkel, Primitive Screwheads
Pronouns: that guy

Post by Rabid Garfunkel »

LSK wrote:I'm in with an instrumental. This is probably the first SongFight I'm entering with... well, an actual song.
Good luck with that. Be forewarned that some people will rape you in the reviews just for the instrumentality of the song. Looking forward to hearing your song, yo.
"Urban cartoon music." -- Paco Del Stinko
Be my friend? --- Song of the Day
MintyHandy
Mixtral

Post by MintyHandy »

Just finished the work I needed to do before 9am. It's 10:15am pst now. Bah. And I really cannot croak out anything; as is, I'm staying home today and sleeping.

However, my wife is on the way home, and she's going to try singing it (if she likes it.) I don't have a second verse, either, and I have to change the context for it to be her voice. But hey, we'll be enriching the SongFight soundscape.

(assuming the boys will accept a slightly late entry that, given the production values and incomplete status, will *not* be a win contender.)
MintyHandy
Mixtral

Post by MintyHandy »

The lyric rewrite to her POV made the second verse appear like magic. She came home and had too much to do to record it, though, so I sucked it up and did my best. Took me several takes to get through without coughing up a lung, submission is the first successful take all the way through. I hope you enjoy the sound of a frog with a ukulele.
saunter
Llama
Pronouns: *

Post by saunter »

Last edited by saunter on Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Just saw the lyrics - nice take on the title Steve Durand!