St. Patrick's Songfight - Los Angeles - March 19th

Set up live gigs with each other, announce gigs you're playing around the country or whatever, talk about how the show went, post links to recordings, etc.
Rabid Garfunkel
Jump
Instruments: Absurdity
Recording Method: iPhone, GarageBand & rando apps/toys
Submitting as: OZYMANDIPUS, Rabid Garfunkel, Primitive Screwheads
Pronouns: that guy

Post by Rabid Garfunkel »

Rabid Garfunkel (performing as Primitive Screwheads) is interested in a multi-day sort of thing. Rough travel plans follow:

Tuesday: Drive from Portland to Fresno to get live rehearsal time with the other half of PS
Thursday or Friday: PS drives to SoCal to find a place to sleep and rehearse with another unannounced member of group (still trying to decide who's playing what instrument so we can figure out what spot needs to be filled, heh)
Saturday: Horrify the SF community with our performance

The scheduling's all pretty loose, so there's plenty of air in it for adjustments like a rehearsal/hanging out day at some den of iniquity in Sunny Babylon.
"Urban cartoon music." -- Paco Del Stinko
Be my friend? --- Song of the Day
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin
Pronouns: he/him

Post by roymond »

abecedarian wrote: If you're suggesting a two day event, I'm open for that, but I'd need a show of hands to see if there's enough interest to pull that off...
I don't mean two days of the show or anything, but certainly hanging and rehearsals the day/night before would be sweet.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
mico saudad
Mean Street

Post by mico saudad »

Friday practice is definitely easy and doable and Friday hanging out is definitely a moral imperative. We'll arrange that as things get closer.

I look forward to welcoming everyone to our little ocean's garbled vomit on the shore!
prayformojo
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Vocals, Melodica, Misc. Noisemakers, Etc.
Recording Method: 2 old bean cans and a piece of string
Submitting as: prayformojo, prayformojo and his Good Times Fun Band, The Mojos, etc...

Post by prayformojo »

I'm always down to hang out if the schedule permits (unfortunately, post production is a demanding mistress.) As far as the show goes, a one night deal is really the only feasable thing. Trying to get an audience to show up for 2 nights of completely unheard of bands is not an easy thing, though I think we should be able to muster a decent group of spirited (and hopefully somewhat intoxicated) to enjoy the tunes on Saturday. I'm goign to try and arrange my schedule to be off both Friday and Saturday, though that will depend on what I'm working on at that point (which is currently unknown).

Hey JB, I know some joints that make killer Kommies out here. Just thought I'd throw that into the mix.
White people, is you funky?
mico saudad
Mean Street

Post by mico saudad »

<a href="http://www.abcdarian.com/events.html" target=_blank> My events page </a> is up and running.

I will soon be creating a web page for this particular event and starting in on a poster and a press release and getting around to the local radio stations who might have an interest in helping us with some publicitiy.

The last time we had an LA concert wasn't there someone who had a radio show and was thinking about setting up an interview? Maybe we could do that this go 'round?

Ideas are welcome.
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Post by ken »

Great page. Thanks for the plug.

Ken
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

abecedarian wrote:<a href="http://www.abcdarian.com/events.html" target=_blank> My events page </a> is up and running.
That's awesome. Perhaps there can be a link from songfight.org, etc.?
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
mico saudad
Mean Street

Post by mico saudad »

Thanks!
roymond wrote:Perhaps there can be a link from songfight.org, etc.?
Yeah I think the issue is that this has to be a 'fan' page. The problem is editorial content. Who decides that Ken and Sam get written spots and only a certain 10 people get songs posted on the event page? I do. That doesn't quite live up to the official egalitarian community we have here.

Unfortunately we currently don't have an efficient way to publicize events or talk about past events with outsiders very easily.

So my contribution right now is just to maintain this fan page and whoever wants to link to it for publicity purposes or add an event is free to contact me with a web page or poster for that event and I'll happily make a space for it.
Last edited by mico saudad on Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Wow, thanks for the writeup, Sean!
stateshirt
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Submitting as: state shirt

Post by stateshirt »

I'm late to the party. :) Yay, another Songfight LA. NEATO!
mico saudad
Mean Street

Post by mico saudad »

confirmed band entry updated below
Last edited by mico saudad on Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:27 am, edited 4 times in total.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

A quick breakdown of the show so far:

5 hours / 12 acts = 25 minutes / 1 act = (5-10 minutes setup/teardown, 15-20 minutes set) / 1 act.
mico saudad
Mean Street

Post by mico saudad »

Yeah that does sound a little fast doesn't it...

Only three groups are confirmed, and my guess is that a couple groups will drop out or will play short sets. I can always make the show an hour or two longer too if we need to as well.
Rabid Garfunkel
Jump

Primitive Screwheads will be there, even if it winds up being only me making with the guy & guitar action with a pair of cymbals strapped to my knees for a rhythm section, heh. Rough figurings of the playlist make for about ten minutes of music (3 semi-definite songs including a slot for the Optional Challenge title/4th song [there will be one, right?] and another five for the f-ing around onstage.
Last edited by Rabid Garfunkel on Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mico saudad
Mean Street

Post by mico saudad »

edit
Last edited by mico saudad on Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Post by ken »

Rabid Garfunkel wrote: the Optional Challenge title/4th song [there will be one, right?]
These shows usually do not have any sort of "fight" aspect to them. They are really showcases for bands involved in songfight. Feel free to play songfight and non-songfight material in your set.

There's no reason why we couldn't have a live debut songfight type song if people were interested though.

Ken
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
mico saudad
Mean Street

Post by mico saudad »

Alright everyone, I'm getting things in gear now. I've finished the web based stuff and I'm about to start in on other media - referring them to the web based stuff as I go.

I've already mentioned my <a href="http://www.abcdarian.com/events.html" target =_blank>Event's Page</a>, but I've recently finished the skeleton for the <a href="http://www.abcdarian.com/sfla.html" target =_blank>LA songfight events page</a>.

As bands confirm I will add or subtract them from the ledger of indecision and add their names to the ledger of attendance :roll:
prayformojo
Push Comes to Shove
Submitting as: prayformojo, prayformojo and his Good Times Fun Band, The Mojos, etc...

Post by prayformojo »

Nice work Sean. Looks great!

I really need to get my preperation in gear for this shin-diggity-dig. I'm assumin' that Sam is a go since Loyalty Day has a fancy lil' star next to their name. Do we have the Blue on board for this?
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

I intend to be there, barring unforeseen events.
prayformojo
Push Comes to Shove

Post by prayformojo »

Lunkhead wrote:I intend to be there, barring unforeseen events.
Aw-frikkin-some!
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

Ok got my ticket, I'll be there. I get in Thursday afternoon, leave late Monday night.
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
Rabid Garfunkel
Jump

Cool. Trés cool.